Supposed "Crisis at Manly" Megathread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Bradza said:
Spotted this morning in Freshwater - The Drip having an early coffee with Glen and his young fella who was having a juice. When his boy got up and ran around Gift showed good straight line speed in pursuit but struggled laterally when the lad put on a step.:D Couple more weeks I think.
Better sign the young bloke up quick...

Jethro said:
southsideeagle said:
8. Jamie Lyon to the Titans?
Replies: 597
Views: 66,232
Oh I did not realise Jamie was going to the Titans?

The thread title "Jamie Lyon to the Titans?" in my post is linked to the thread. If you click on it, you can read the whole thread. The thread was started on the 17th of January last year.

It is sometimes difficult to pick the attempt at humour. I'm well aware of this episode. At the end of it the result was like most of them. Nothing came of it.

Moondog said:
Bradza said:
Spotted this morning in Freshwater - The Drip having an early coffee with Glen and his young fella who was having a juice. When his boy got up and ran around Gift showed good straight line speed in pursuit but struggled laterally when the lad put on a step.:D Couple more weeks I think.
Better sign the young bloke up quick...

We should back end his contract. That sounds like a good idea.

In the 80s I was an after school paperboy selling the sun and mirror. In those days a crisis was depicted on the back page by a fractured team logo, with a jagged split down the middle. Axed players and coaches often had a bloodied axe poised above their heads, or a "ghostbusters" type symbol stamped across their picture. #crisis

Emerging News, "Manly in selection Crises."

With Justin Horo back from Suspension soon and Dunamis Lui, Glenn Stewart & Jorge Tafua due back from injury in the coming weeks the prospect of a Full Strength Manly team looms large. This has the potential to split the Club with players not selected likely to be disappointed enough to formally request a release. This Manly Club just keep stumbling from one crises to the next.

southsideeagle said:
Jethro said:
southsideeagle said:
8. Jamie Lyon to the Titans?
Replies: 597
Views: 66,232
Oh I did not realise Jamie was going to the Titans?

The thread title "Jamie Lyon to the Titans?" in my post is linked to the thread. If you click on it, you can read the whole thread. The thread was started on the 17th of January last year.

It is sometimes difficult to pick the attempt at humour. I'm well aware of this episode. At the end of it the result was like most of them. Nothing came of it.

That's where these things come in handy:

:);):D:p

Ralphie said:
Emerging News, "Manly in selection Crises."

With Justin Horo back from Suspension soon and Dunamis Lui, Glenn Stewart & Jorge Tafua due back from injury in the coming weeks the prospect of a Full Strength Manly team looms large. This has the potential to split the Club with players not selected likely to be disappointed enough to formally request a release. This Manly Club just keep stumbling from one crises to the next.

Maybe we might actually win a fkn NSW cup game before the season ends. Now there's a team in crisis.

I got into work this arvo.... Went to make a coffee and some bugger had used the (wet) spoon in the SUGAR after dipping it in coffee first. Deplorable and obviously an #crisis moment!!

KOMORI said:
I got into work this arvo.... Went to make a coffee and some bugger had used the (wet) spoon in the SUGAR after dipping it in coffee first. Deplorable and obviously an #crisis moment!!

That spoon was probably licked, Komori... Now that'd qualify as a crisis...

Richard Hinds: Manly Sea Eagles flying in the face of logic for club in crisis
RICHARD HINDS THE DAILY TELEGRAPH JULY 29, 2014

MANLY is in crisis.

Word is the players no longer trust the coach, the coach no longer trusts the board, the fullback doesn’t like the half-back, everyone has a grudge against the CEO, the water boy is on “no speakies’’ with the kit man and everything else is Anthony Watmough’s fault.

If you believe every yarn that crosses the bar at the Hotel Steyne you are less likely to be knifed walking down a back alley in Mogadishu at midnight than in the lunch room at Manly HQ.

As a result of this utter chaos and confusion there is only one thing dysfunctional Manly can do: Win.

The Sea Eagles sit two games clear at the top of the table after beating the Warriors by 10 points in Wellington. Any more fussin’ and feudin’ and the maroon and whites will start the finals $1.01 favourites.
But the club’s Brainless Trust is taking no chances. There are plans to sack the coach, trade Daly Cherry-Evans for a handful of magic beans, replace the front office staff with work experience kids and burn down the Narrabeen training facility to make the title a certainty.

This is not how rugby league is supposed to work.

Wests Tigers provided a text book demonstration of old fashioned NRL mismanagement after The Telegraph’s Dean Ritchie reported the board was about to hand coach Mick Potter a blindfold and a last cigarette.
With reassuring predictability, Wests Tigers then followed their impressive win over the Bulldogs with an abject defeat to St George Illawarra amid raging speculation — helpfully fuelled by Gorden Tallis — that captain Robbie Farah believed Potter couldn’t coach a Labrador to wag its tail.

Which, using the bizarre logic that misinforms too much NRL decision making, will no doubt leave the Tigers’ board feeling smugly self-assured they were right about Potter.

Never mind the only sponsor who will go near them is a Chinese laundry, so expertly had they hung their coach out to dry.

But in strange defiance of the timeless cliches about “team unity’’ and “keeping your business in-house’’, Manly is creating a new credo: Divided We Stand!
Kieran Foran issued another heartfelt plea for disunity when he claimed the players were distracted by management decisions. This provided just the lack of inspiration needed before a tough road game against the Warriors.

One punctuated by kind of ferocious goal-line defence that is supposed to disappear faster than a gold watch at a magician’s convention when there is internal disharmony.

So if Manly’s place on top of the ladder constitutes the most unlikely example of successful leadership since Sarah Palin was voted Governor of Alaska, what the hell has gone right?

You can rule out the Manly board where meetings reportedly start with the reading of the minutes and the tabling of AVO’s against fellow directors, and end with fruit platters at 20 paces.

There is the stellar team in which the veteran stars are demonstrating their anger at Glenn Stewart’s departure by playing better than ever. Which, in trade union terms, is like protesting against job cuts by working extra shifts for nothing.
There is Manly’s famous siege mentality. But even Stalingrad would have fallen if there was as much internal recrimination as there is at Manly.

So without any more insight into Manly’s internal workings than I have about the legislative agenda of the Kazakhstani upper house, I suspect what’s holding Manly together is the coach.

Geoff Toovey supposedly lost the confidence of some players after Glenn Stewart was not signed and is never mentioned in the same breath as predecessor Des Hasler. If he was to reprise his famous words — “There’s gotta be an investigation!’’ – they would now be about a club that seems to be tearing itself apart, not the referees.

Yet, wee after week, Toovey shuts out the white noise and masterminds another victory. Win another game or two and even the Wests Tigers board might think he was worth keeping.

On Friday night it’s the Broncos. But not before players trade blows in the car park, the CEO is dacked in a finance meeting by two directors and the equipment truck runs off the Harbour Bridge. Which is known at Manly as “the ideal preparation’’.
:p
Meanwhile 15 clubs look at the top of the ladder and utter their own version of that old line from When Harry Met Sally: ‘’I’m having the crisis they’re having!’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/richard-hinds-manly-sea-eagles-flying-in-the-face-of-logic-for-club-in-crisis/story-fni3fh9n-1227004724372

Finally some perspective on the #CrisisWeHadToHave :cool:

"Leaked" Media mandatory flowchart - Manly use only, and always!

5SaZV5Q.jpg

Re-read cliffy's book recently. He had a devil of a time getting his contract renewed time after time. I reckon manly traditionally has played hardball trying to get the best players for as little outlay as possible. Also a fair bit of brinksmanship and not being hurried to negotiate when a player is already under contract. Maybe it's a bit ruthless, but the results speak for themselves. I don't recall this being played out in the media during cliffy's time though.

#crisis

Shoe1 said:
Re-read cliffy's book recently. He had a devil of a time getting his contract renewed time after time. I reckon manly traditionally has played hardball trying to get the best players for as little outlay as possible. Also a fair bit of brinksmanship and not being hurried to negotiate when a player is already under contract. Maybe it's a bit ruthless, but the results speak for themselves. I don't recall this being played out in the media during cliffy's time though.

#crisis

The club learned well from Arko who turned signing players for less than what was on offer elsewhere into an art form.

Also, Cliffy barely spoke in public so journos probably never got a word from him. And there was never any chance he would leave the club anyway.

@HappilyManly thank you, I needed a good laugh. That was an absolute classic.

HappilyManly said:
Richard Hinds: Manly Sea Eagles flying in the face of logic for club in crisis
RICHARD HINDS THE DAILY TELEGRAPH JULY 29, 2014

MANLY is in crisis.

Word is the players no longer trust the coach, the coach no longer trusts the board, the fullback doesn’t like the half-back, everyone has a grudge against the CEO, the water boy is on “no speakies’’ with the kit man and everything else is Anthony Watmough’s fault.

If you believe every yarn that crosses the bar at the Hotel Steyne you are less likely to be knifed walking down a back alley in Mogadishu at midnight than in the lunch room at Manly HQ.

As a result of this utter chaos and confusion there is only one thing dysfunctional Manly can do: Win.

The Sea Eagles sit two games clear at the top of the table after beating the Warriors by 10 points in Wellington. Any more fussin’ and feudin’ and the maroon and whites will start the finals $1.01 favourites.
But the club’s Brainless Trust is taking no chances. There are plans to sack the coach, trade Daly Cherry-Evans for a handful of magic beans, replace the front office staff with work experience kids and burn down the Narrabeen training facility to make the title a certainty.

This is not how rugby league is supposed to work.

Wests Tigers provided a text book demonstration of old fashioned NRL mismanagement after The Telegraph’s Dean Ritchie reported the board was about to hand coach Mick Potter a blindfold and a last cigarette.
With reassuring predictability, Wests Tigers then followed their impressive win over the Bulldogs with an abject defeat to St George Illawarra amid raging speculation — helpfully fuelled by Gorden Tallis — that captain Robbie Farah believed Potter couldn’t coach a Labrador to wag its tail.

Which, using the bizarre logic that misinforms too much NRL decision making, will no doubt leave the Tigers’ board feeling smugly self-assured they were right about Potter.

Never mind the only sponsor who will go near them is a Chinese laundry, so expertly had they hung their coach out to dry.

But in strange defiance of the timeless cliches about “team unity’’ and “keeping your business in-house’’, Manly is creating a new credo: Divided We Stand!
Kieran Foran issued another heartfelt plea for disunity when he claimed the players were distracted by management decisions. This provided just the lack of inspiration needed before a tough road game against the Warriors.

One punctuated by kind of ferocious goal-line defence that is supposed to disappear faster than a gold watch at a magician’s convention when there is internal disharmony.

So if Manly’s place on top of the ladder constitutes the most unlikely example of successful leadership since Sarah Palin was voted Governor of Alaska, what the hell has gone right?

You can rule out the Manly board where meetings reportedly start with the reading of the minutes and the tabling of AVO’s against fellow directors, and end with fruit platters at 20 paces.

There is the stellar team in which the veteran stars are demonstrating their anger at Glenn Stewart’s departure by playing better than ever. Which, in trade union terms, is like protesting against job cuts by working extra shifts for nothing.
There is Manly’s famous siege mentality. But even Stalingrad would have fallen if there was as much internal recrimination as there is at Manly.

So without any more insight into Manly’s internal workings than I have about the legislative agenda of the Kazakhstani upper house, I suspect what’s holding Manly together is the coach.

Geoff Toovey supposedly lost the confidence of some players after Glenn Stewart was not signed and is never mentioned in the same breath as predecessor Des Hasler. If he was to reprise his famous words — “There’s gotta be an investigation!’’ – they would now be about a club that seems to be tearing itself apart, not the referees.

Yet, wee after week, Toovey shuts out the white noise and masterminds another victory. Win another game or two and even the Wests Tigers board might think he was worth keeping.

On Friday night it’s the Broncos. But not before players trade blows in the car park, the CEO is dacked in a finance meeting by two directors and the equipment truck runs off the Harbour Bridge. Which is known at Manly as “the ideal preparation’’.
:p
Meanwhile 15 clubs look at the top of the ladder and utter their own version of that old line from When Harry Met Sally: ‘’I’m having the crisis they’re having!’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/richard-hinds-manly-sea-eagles-flying-in-the-face-of-logic-for-club-in-crisis/story-fni3fh9n-1227004724372

Finally some perspective on the #CrisisWeHadToHave :cool:

Choc tweeted about this, said it was so funny and so true. He was probably just having a laugh at this.. But after all the reports last week and now silence, I still feel uneasy about the whole scenario..

Anyone got the good oil on likely outcomes on matai, watmough and snake?

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8