Pre-Game Souths v Manly [Finals Week 3, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

32 10
Suncorp Stadium
24 Sep 2021 07:50 PM

Team Lists

Clique time: this game will be won on the back of possession and that means minimal hamdling errors. Souths lead the comp in both aspects. The roosters were top in handling errors in stats like we were. They made it is easier for us. Souths are more disciplined. We have to beat them at their own game to be a chance. It will be an epic game.

For whatever reason I’m still not a Sipley fan like many of you on here , I think Lawton ( whilst no superstar ) can cover a few positions off the bench.

Sipley however is good for a few hit ups , some tackles and **** all else
I really rate Sipley but 100% he doesn’t have the fitness to warrant selection over Lawton this late in the finals.

I think if he gets a few more seasons here and gets fitter during the off seasons he could be a very important bench player. The match fitness just didn’t come this year (it was on its way), and he seemed a bit burnt out toward the back-end of the regular season. Still a great depth option if a forward goes down, he brings energy and takes away a bit of stress from others.

I like Sipley ..but with the prop rotation used v Roosters, when would he actually play? In my eyes Paseka didnt really get enough of a run. So who's minutes is Toff going to take?
I thought that with Paseka as well but now Im thinking it was probably a ploy to keep paseka fit for the rabbits as by half time it was clear we were in a pretty comfortable position

Well my tickets finally arrived today , so Friday night , Suncorp Stadium, here I come!!

Sadly won’t be too much chanting as I’ve been battling a chest infection for about 3 weeks now , all good after a couple of doses of medication but don’t think my system could handle my usual mad Manly chants.

Should be a cracker game , buggered if I know, 50/50 I reckon and a lot will depend on our share of possession in the first 40 minutes.

If we are stifled it’ll be game over but if we can share around half we’ll be in with a red hot go.

Well my tickets finally arrived today , so Friday night , Suncorp Stadium, here I come!!

Sadly won’t be too much chanting as I’ve been battling a chest infection for about 3 weeks now , all good after a couple of doses of medication but don’t think my system could handle my usual mad Manly chants.

Should be a cracker game , buggered if I know, 50/50 I reckon and a lot will depend on our share of possession in the first 40 minutes.

If we are stifled it’ll be game over but if we can share around half we’ll be in with a red hot go.
People with colds are encouraged to attend, by all accounts!

SEE Forty Years of Hate Based On a Lie - post by @Nuttybott

I have just finished reading a book called Glory Days; The Story of South Sydney's Golden Era by Alan Whiticker, which features a number of interviews with Rabbitohs' stars of the club's last great era between 1967-71.

One of the most interesting of these interviews is with Ray Branighan, who played in several of those Souths Premiership-winning teams before heading to Manly and further glory in 1972. Of particular interest to Manly fans is Branighan's revelation that the past 40 years of hate, scorn and vitriol directed towards our club from all sections of the Rugby League community was, in fact, founded on a false assumption.

It turns out that Manly's "poaching" of Branighan, along with fellow Rabbitohs John O'Neill and Bob Moses, was nothing of the kind. Ray reveals that Moses requested a transfer because he couldn't hold down a regular place in Souths' first-grade team, whereas it was Branighan who made the first move to Ken Arthurson about moving to Manly.

During the 1970 World Cup in England, Arko had been very impressed with Branighan's form and attitude, and had kindly told Branighan that if he had any problems or ever needed help with anything, he only had to phone. The following year, after Souths' 1971 Premiership success, Branighan remembered Arko's offer, and phoned him in a state of desperation, as Souths were being extremely difficult and uncooperative regarding the renewal of Ray's contract. The club expected Branighan to accept any contract they chose to offer, even for less money. In Branighan's own words: "in those days, if you played for Souths they thought they owned you". Ray explains that he and his young family were struggling to make ends meet on what Souths were paying, whereas Arko was prepared to make a definite and more substantial offer, IF Branighan wished to move. Which he did for the 1972 season.

As Ray further explains in the book, it turned out that John O'Neill was experiencing similar difficulties over his contract with Souths, so Branighan advised him to ring Arko and have a talk about the possibility of moving to Manly.

And that is how the three Souths stars ended up coming over to the Northern Beaches. In each case, it was done on their own initiative, and in the cases of O'Neill and Branighan was caused entirely by Souths' own intransigence and their arrogant, proprietorial attitude towards their playing staff. And yet THIS is the seed of the "evil, wicked Silvertails poaching the battlers clubs' stars" myth; a myth which has endured for over 40 years now, and has led to an unrelenting, unwarranted torrent of abuse, hostility and hatred directed towards our club which, as it turns out, did nothing wrong... :mad:
Thank you!
For anyone who ever stopped to think about it (which obviously excludes any Souths fan) it was always the most foolish lie to say Manly pillaged the Rabbitohs. Aside from the players who fled to Manly there were plenty of other Souths stars who bailed out, including some of the biggest names in the game. Notably Ron Coote, who went to Easts along with Test winger Mike Cleary, and later joined by international hooker Elwyn Walters. Even Bobby McCarthy jumped ship to Canterbury for a couple of years.
Which is all consistent with Souths admin being at fault, not those great players and not the clubs who offered them more reasonable payment.

Maybe we could get you a pass into the souffs dressing room pre game

People with colds are encouraged to attend, by all accounts!
Just remember @Shoe1 that QLD is the land of the free. Covid free that is. 😬
homer simpson GIF

SEE Forty Years of Hate Based On a Lie - post by @Nuttybott

I have just finished reading a book called Glory Days; The Story of South Sydney's Golden Era by Alan Whiticker, which features a number of interviews with Rabbitohs' stars of the club's last great era between 1967-71.

One of the most interesting of these interviews is with Ray Branighan, who played in several of those Souths Premiership-winning teams before heading to Manly and further glory in 1972. Of particular interest to Manly fans is Branighan's revelation that the past 40 years of hate, scorn and vitriol directed towards our club from all sections of the Rugby League community was, in fact, founded on a false assumption.

It turns out that Manly's "poaching" of Branighan, along with fellow Rabbitohs John O'Neill and Bob Moses, was nothing of the kind. Ray reveals that Moses requested a transfer because he couldn't hold down a regular place in Souths' first-grade team, whereas it was Branighan who made the first move to Ken Arthurson about moving to Manly.

During the 1970 World Cup in England, Arko had been very impressed with Branighan's form and attitude, and had kindly told Branighan that if he had any problems or ever needed help with anything, he only had to phone. The following year, after Souths' 1971 Premiership success, Branighan remembered Arko's offer, and phoned him in a state of desperation, as Souths were being extremely difficult and uncooperative regarding the renewal of Ray's contract. The club expected Branighan to accept any contract they chose to offer, even for less money. In Branighan's own words: "in those days, if you played for Souths they thought they owned you". Ray explains that he and his young family were struggling to make ends meet on what Souths were paying, whereas Arko was prepared to make a definite and more substantial offer, IF Branighan wished to move. Which he did for the 1972 season.

As Ray further explains in the book, it turned out that John O'Neill was experiencing similar difficulties over his contract with Souths, so Branighan advised him to ring Arko and have a talk about the possibility of moving to Manly.

And that is how the three Souths stars ended up coming over to the Northern Beaches. In each case, it was done on their own initiative, and in the cases of O'Neill and Branighan was caused entirely by Souths' own intransigence and their arrogant, proprietorial attitude towards their playing staff. And yet THIS is the seed of the "evil, wicked Silvertails poaching the battlers clubs' stars" myth; a myth which has endured for over 40 years now, and has led to an unrelenting, unwarranted torrent of abuse, hostility and hatred directed towards our club which, as it turns out, did nothing wrong... :mad:
Never let the truth stand in the way of bashing a tall poppy to sell a few papers and up the click bait. But of course it's very easy to convince the moron masses just because it's in the paper it must be true.

Big is Beautiful and Big George Rose at his best was Beautiful and Destructive
We need Moses the Monster running at and destroying the Rabbits
can you just shag Moses and be done with it? @:p This man crush you have going on is getting creeeeepy......

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2