Pre-Game Souths v Manly [Finals Week 3, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

32 10
Suncorp Stadium
24 Sep 2021 07:50 PM

Team Lists

Bunnies completed at 84% against Penrith, conceded less penalties and less ruck infringements. Missed less tackles and made less errors.

If they do that against us it will be hard to get over them.

the tries are going to come from their very talented backline, but it's their forwards where again the platform will be built, and stopping Cook from getting easy metres and offloads from dummy-half will be a key area.

Interesting stat - we have only had more than 80% completions 4 times this year, winning all 4 of those games. These were the scores:
36-0
50-6
50-18
56-24

When we complete our sets we have a track record of winning big.
Yes, but that is what happens when you control the ball.

Yes, they defended well v the Panthers but they have dropped off a cliff attacking wise the past two games - only two tries from kicks in two games.
Were the heralded defensive efforts of Souffs and Parra that good or were Penrith average?

If we get 50/50 ball we should be good enough.

Given the bath suli had against gay guy the last time we played them in a semi. Does Des pull a rabbit out of his hat and pick him this week 🤷‍♂️

boy the journos are dusting off this one to drum up interest.

"Let's go with Manly bought someone..."

'Ok'

"Good, now sao's anyone?"

Former Manly secretary Ken Arthurson has revealed why he pinched two star South Sydney players in a daring move which sparked 50 years of hatred between the clubs.
That fierce conflict will once again be on show in Friday night’s NRL preliminary final at Suncorp Stadium.

The rivalry between the two clubs started in 1971 when cashed-up Manly signed two champion players from Souths’ golden era – John “Lurch” O’Neill and Ray Branighan, who were both internationals.

Their defections caused outrage at Redfern and evoked a running feud which remains 50 years later. A year earlier, Manly lured dual Souths grand final-winning halfback Bobby Moses to Brookvale.

“Hatred is another term for jealousy,” Arthurson said.

“When people do well, others for some reason get crooked on them and I’m buggered if I know why. People have to get over the hate.

“I was only concerned with getting Manly to win a premiership. No one twisted their arms or forced them to come. They made the decision. I didn’t want to be running down the bottom of the ladder. We wanted to win it and that’s what we set out to do.”

We needed a front-row forward (O’Neill) and we needed an additional centre (Branighan) at the time. They were both off contract and other clubs had the opportunity to sign them, too.

“I just smile when people say we took all these players from other clubs. That’s their problem, not mine. People forget all the players that were taken away from Manly, including the best player we’ve ever had, Bob Fulton.

50 years of hate, lol

I'd be stunned if 10% of the players could name the guys bought from souffs

Yes, they defended well v the Panthers but they have dropped off a cliff attacking wise the past two games - only two tries from kicks in two games.
Were the heralded defensive efforts of Souffs and Parra that good or were Penrith average?

That's the key to the win is if our forwards can match south's and us getting even share of ball plus calls I can see this being a really close game.

If we come out flat give south's forwards no resistance at all this game is lost before it even starts.

The first 20 minutes in my mind will determine this game.. We go with south's then it's game on but if not I can see south's getting on a roll.

All I hope for is that this week we are competitive and give it there all.

Going to be one hell of a game!!

'Ok'

Former Manly secretary Ken Arthurson has revealed why he pinched two star South Sydney players in a daring move which sparked 50 years of hatred between the clubs.
That fierce conflict will once again be on show in Friday night’s NRL preliminary final at Suncorp Stadium.

The rivalry between the two clubs started in 1971 when cashed-up Manly signed two champion players from Souths’ golden era – John “Lurch” O’Neill and Ray Branighan, who were both internationals.

Their defections caused outrage at Redfern and evoked a running feud which remains 50 years later. A year earlier, Manly lured dual Souths grand final-winning halfback Bobby Moses to Brookvale.

“When people do well, others for some reason get crooked on them and I’m buggered if I know why. People have to get over the hate.

“I was only concerned with getting Manly to win a premiership. No one twisted their arms or forced them to come. They made the decision. I didn’t want to be running down the bottom of the ladder. We wanted to win it and that’s what we set out to do.”

We needed a front-row forward (O’Neill) and we needed an additional centre (Branighan) at the time. They were both off contract and other clubs had the opportunity to sign them, too.

“I just smile when people say we took all these players from other clubs. That’s their problem, not mine. People forget all the players that were taken away from Manly, including the best player we’ve ever had, Bob Fulton.

50 years of hate, lol

I had to look up who "dual grand-final winning halfback Bobby Moses" was.
It obviously doesn't read well to write "washed up reserve grade halfback"*
*is that too harsh, I'd never heard of him.

and 50/50 ref and bunker calls

'Ok'

50 years of hate, lol

I've read an interview with Branighan where he said Souths were not even considering an increase for him, they expected him to be grateful to play for them. So he was happy to move over to Manly for a fair payday.

never heard of Bob Moses !! really ... he was going out as I was playing junior football and some of the young Manly reserve graders said he was a hard bastard that wanted to give young blokes a 'warm' welcome to the game

They stole the Blakes and Wayne Chisolm and the Mule from us. Phil is their best ever 5/8.

Waaa waaaaa I hate them so much for that and will never forgive them maybe I write a cry baby book about it..... NOT!!

There are some firey characters in this game. I would be getting into Keppie, Olakau’atu and Walker’s ears and telling them NOT to let Jai Arrow’s crap get under their skin. I have no doubt that he is going to try and get one of these guys to bite and get sin binned. The thing is, if we are smart we can turn it back onto him as he isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed.

It’s little moments that win big games, so we need to keep our heads and focus on winning plays not emotional reactions.

Come on boyz.
Agreed, we should try to rattle Cody off his game as he is a hothead. Get Ola, Keppie, to niggle with him smartly throughout the game. Win the forwards battle, limit and contain Cody, and we win the game.

SEE Forty Years of Hate Based On a Lie - post by @Nuttybott

I have just finished reading a book called Glory Days; The Story of South Sydney's Golden Era by Alan Whiticker, which features a number of interviews with Rabbitohs' stars of the club's last great era between 1967-71.

One of the most interesting of these interviews is with Ray Branighan, who played in several of those Souths Premiership-winning teams before heading to Manly and further glory in 1972. Of particular interest to Manly fans is Branighan's revelation that the past 40 years of hate, scorn and vitriol directed towards our club from all sections of the Rugby League community was, in fact, founded on a false assumption.

It turns out that Manly's "poaching" of Branighan, along with fellow Rabbitohs John O'Neill and Bob Moses, was nothing of the kind. Ray reveals that Moses requested a transfer because he couldn't hold down a regular place in Souths' first-grade team, whereas it was Branighan who made the first move to Ken Arthurson about moving to Manly.

During the 1970 World Cup in England, Arko had been very impressed with Branighan's form and attitude, and had kindly told Branighan that if he had any problems or ever needed help with anything, he only had to phone. The following year, after Souths' 1971 Premiership success, Branighan remembered Arko's offer, and phoned him in a state of desperation, as Souths were being extremely difficult and uncooperative regarding the renewal of Ray's contract. The club expected Branighan to accept any contract they chose to offer, even for less money. In Branighan's own words: "in those days, if you played for Souths they thought they owned you". Ray explains that he and his young family were struggling to make ends meet on what Souths were paying, whereas Arko was prepared to make a definite and more substantial offer, IF Branighan wished to move. Which he did for the 1972 season.

As Ray further explains in the book, it turned out that John O'Neill was experiencing similar difficulties over his contract with Souths, so Branighan advised him to ring Arko and have a talk about the possibility of moving to Manly.

And that is how the three Souths stars ended up coming over to the Northern Beaches. In each case, it was done on their own initiative, and in the cases of O'Neill and Branighan was caused entirely by Souths' own intransigence and their arrogant, proprietorial attitude towards their playing staff. And yet THIS is the seed of the "evil, wicked Silvertails poaching the battlers clubs' stars" myth; a myth which has endured for over 40 years now, and has led to an unrelenting, unwarranted torrent of abuse, hostility and hatred directed towards our club which, as it turns out, did nothing wrong... :mad:

Just a reminder that we still made the same amount of errors in that Roosters game as we did in the Melbourne game. That's not good, we really need to improve in that facet. Melbourne completed 90% against us and Souths completed at 84% in their QF. We are still error-riddled, and because we came against a legless Roosters, they couldn't take advantage of that, but the clinical teams will and we got proved that against Melbourne. Need to drill in our heads how important it is to value the ball.

Just a reminder that we still made the same amount of errors in that Roosters game as we did in the Melbourne game. That's not good, we really need to improve in that facet. Melbourne completed 90% against us and Souths completed at 84% in their QF. We are still error-riddled, and because we came against a legless Roosters, they couldn't take advantage of that, but the clinical teams will and we got proved that against Melbourne. Need to drill in our heads how important it is to value the ball.
True, but we made errors once we were 18 nil up. More costly at 0-0

Bob Moses was actually a tough as nails 2 nd rower , i st grade standard player but virtually a international standard forward line up ahead of him at the time at Souths

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8