Pre-Game Souths v Manly [Finals Week 3, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

32 10
Suncorp Stadium
24 Sep 2021 07:50 PM

Team Lists

Will on the hill

Bencher
Tipping Member
Manly left
Garrick, Parker, Schuster, Foz
VS
Paulo, Graham, Su'A, Reynolds

Manly right
Saab, Harper, Olakau'atu, DCE
VS
Johnston, Gagai, Koloamatangi, Walker

Middle
Croker, Jake, Aloiai, Keppie
VS
Cook, Murray, Tatola, Nichols

Bench
Walker, Lawton, Taupau, Paseka
VS
Marshall, Host, T.Burgess, Arrow

All matches up pretty evenly but the big difference is they have a rookie half playing as a makeshift FB. We have the form player of the comp chiming in all over the field.

IMO we don't even have to win the middle(although that would be nice).
If we just match them and don't beat ourselves with ill discipline, Tommy will be the difference maker.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Manly left
VS

Manly right
VS

Middle
VS

Bench
VS

All matches up pretty evenly but the big difference is they have a rookie half playing as a makeshift FB. We have the form player of the comp chiming in all over the field.

If we just match them and don't beat ourselves with ill discipline, Tommy will be the difference maker.
We’ll let try’s in, guaranteed.

But so will they.

It could be a high scoring affair and of course we’ll just need to score more than they do.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Manly left
VS

Manly right
VS

Middle
VS

Bench
VS

Great work @Will on the hill.

We just dont have to match them . We need to bash them :)

Last edited:

Will on the hill

Bencher
Tipping Member
We’ll let try’s in, guaranteed.

But so will they.

It could be a high scoring affair and of course we’ll just need to score more than they do.
Yep, both LHS attacks will fancy their chances. I think we would be well served by having DWalker rushing Reynolds every time he switches to the left. He loves to dig into the line to create time and space for their left side but doesn't have much variation, pretty much always plays out the back, rarely plays inside or short.

Will on the hill

Bencher
Tipping Member
Was listening to YKTR and they claimed to have some insider info on our defensive structures. Most teams rush up 5 or so metres then make a call on what structure they are facing and how to defend. Apparently we make the call (to jam or slide) before we rush up, hence the importance of all defenders being on the same page and why it looks so bad when it doesn't work.

Will on the hill

Bencher
Tipping Member
From the Burrow

Well, well, well. It’s come to this.

After a season at least as strange as, and probably stranger than, last year, we are again just 80 minutes away from the Big Dance.

For those Rabbitoh faithful residing in Queensland it must be some sort of treat getting to watch the footy live week after week. For those of us locked down elsewhere, well we’ve had to get used to screaming at the TV on a weekly basis. I’m used to it by now, but I can’t say it’s my Rabbitoh watching method of choice.

And I can tell you my family were not at all impressed with me standing six inches from the screen bellowing “NO ****ING WAY” about six times when Keaon was penalised for that ridiculous “late” hit on Cleary two weeks ago.

In fact I was so exhausted at full-time I really was glad to have the week off to recover. And I think my family was even gladder.

So here we are. Manly. The Prelim. The hardest game to win and the worst to lose. And our record in the past decade hasn’t been too flash, as we all are no doubt painfully aware. It might be difficult to sift through again, but let’s review. Humour me, I think it will be worth it.

2012 v Bulldogs: Overachieved to make the Prelim. Not expected to win. Gave it a red hot crack until Reyno buggered his hammy and that was it.

2013 v Manly: After smashing Melbourne in week 1, we were massive favourites. Led 14-0 early and crashed. One of the worst nights ever. But the 2014 Premiership was, to some degree, won on that night. The pain was so great that the immense resolve the following year took us all the way.

2014 v Roosters: Obliterated Manly in week 1 but fell behind the reigning Premiers 12-0. We all felt sick. But then followed one of the greatest hours of our lives. Te’o, Burgess and the rest of them bullied the Roosters into submission. Remember the drive home? Remember how we felt the next day?

2018 v Roosters: Underdogs and fairly well beaten. Stuck in the game for quite a while but never really looked like it. A crap night.

2019 v Raiders: Underdogs playing in the Viking cauldron. Not expected to win at all, but absolutely took it to them all night. Didn’t get a single call and had some shocking luck, but still should have won it at the end. Devastating defeat. A very long drive home.

2020 v Penrith: Underdogs again. The Panthers hardly lost a game all year. Stuck with them all the way and were a real chance of jagging a win off the back of Adam’s 40-20 with a couple of minutes to go. Except he stepped on the line.

So, a 1-5 record. Not pretty on the surface. But we’ve only been favourites once, so I’m not overly concerned with the “Souths can’t win in the Prelim” narrative. Put simply, we have usually come up against a stronger, better opponent. And we have usually taken them right to the wire. I think our opponents this year are different.

Now I don’t want to underestimate Manly, but I’m not sure they are really up to our standard. Yes, there’s Turbo. And his brother and DCE and Foran. But other than that? Olakau’atu is strong. The rest of them? Not much experience in big games and, to be honest, not much else either.

We’ve got strength, speed and class all over the park this week. Adam and Cody should create a myriad of opportunities for the outside backs. I can see at least four tries for us. If the defence works hard for the whole 80 minutes I don’t see four tries for Manly. Of course, clock off for ten minutes, which we have been known to do at times this year, and they can score enough points just in that period. But what I saw two weeks ago makes me think a clock off period is highly unlikely.

For me, it’s all about defence and discipline. No silly penalties. Very few six agains. Kick - Chase. Line speed and hard work. All bloody night. And a high completion rate.The tries will come.

Our resolve? We’ve lost this game the last three years. It’s Adam’s last year. And Wayne’s. And Jayden Su’a’s and perhaps Benji’s. For them, it’s now or never. There’s a little bit of 2014 (Burgess, Te’o, Tuqiri) about this group.

Manly haven’t beaten Penrith or Melbourne or Souths all year. They beat half the Roosters last week.
They’ll go hard. But I think we’ll be too good.

Souths by 14.

Heckenberg

Reserve Grader
Was listening to YKTR and they claimed to have some insider info on our defensive structures. Most teams rush up 5 or so metres then make a call on what structure they are facing and how to defend. Apparently we make the call (to jam or slide) before we rush up, hence the importance of all defenders being on the same page and why it looks so bad when it doesn't work.
When Isaac John was here we weren’t coached by Des.

The Insomniac

Reserve Grader
From the Burrow

After a season at least as strange as, and probably stranger than, last year, we are again just 80 minutes away from the Big Dance.

For those Rabbitoh faithful residing in Queensland it must be some sort of treat getting to watch the footy live week after week. For those of us locked down elsewhere, well we’ve had to get used to screaming at the TV on a weekly basis. I’m used to it by now, but I can’t say it’s my Rabbitoh watching method of choice.

And I can tell you my family were not at all impressed with me standing six inches from the screen bellowing “NO ****ING WAY” about six times when Keaon was penalised for that ridiculous “late” hit on Cleary two weeks ago.

In fact I was so exhausted at full-time I really was glad to have the week off to recover. And I think my family was even gladder.

So here we are. Manly. The Prelim. The hardest game to win and the worst to lose. And our record in the past decade hasn’t been too flash, as we all are no doubt painfully aware. It might be difficult to sift through again, but let’s review. Humour me, I think it will be worth it.

2012 v Bulldogs: Overachieved to make the Prelim. Not expected to win. Gave it a red hot crack until Reyno buggered his hammy and that was it.

2013 v Manly: After smashing Melbourne in week 1, we were massive favourites. Led 14-0 early and crashed. One of the worst nights ever. But the 2014 Premiership was, to some degree, won on that night. The pain was so great that the immense resolve the following year took us all the way.

2014 v Roosters: Obliterated Manly in week 1 but fell behind the reigning Premiers 12-0. We all felt sick. But then followed one of the greatest hours of our lives. Te’o, Burgess and the rest of them bullied the Roosters into submission. Remember the drive home? Remember how we felt the next day?

2018 v Roosters: Underdogs and fairly well beaten. Stuck in the game for quite a while but never really looked like it. A crap night.

2019 v Raiders: Underdogs playing in the Viking cauldron. Not expected to win at all, but absolutely took it to them all night. Didn’t get a single call and had some shocking luck, but still should have won it at the end. Devastating defeat. A very long drive home.

2020 v Penrith: Underdogs again. The Panthers hardly lost a game all year. Stuck with them all the way and were a real chance of jagging a win off the back of Adam’s 40-20 with a couple of minutes to go. Except he stepped on the line.

So, a 1-5 record. Not pretty on the surface. But we’ve only been favourites once, so I’m not overly concerned with the “Souths can’t win in the Prelim” narrative. Put simply, we have usually come up against a stronger, better opponent. And we have usually taken them right to the wire. I think our opponents this year are different.

Now I don’t want to underestimate Manly, but I’m not sure they are really up to our standard. Yes, there’s Turbo. And his brother and DCE and Foran. But other than that? Olakau’atu is strong. The rest of them? Not much experience in big games and, to be honest, not much else either.

We’ve got strength, speed and class all over the park this week. Adam and Cody should create a myriad of opportunities for the outside backs. I can see at least four tries for us. If the defence works hard for the whole 80 minutes I don’t see four tries for Manly. Of course, clock off for ten minutes, which we have been known to do at times this year, and they can score enough points just in that period. But what I saw two weeks ago makes me think a clock off period is highly unlikely.

For me, it’s all about defence and discipline. No silly penalties. Very few six agains. Kick - Chase. Line speed and hard work. All bloody night. And a high completion rate.The tries will come.

Our resolve? We’ve lost this game the last three years. It’s Adam’s last year. And Wayne’s. And Jayden Su’a’s and perhaps Benji’s. For them, it’s now or never. There’s a little bit of 2014 (Burgess, Te’o, Tuqiri) about this group.

Manly haven’t beaten Penrith or Melbourne or Souths all year. They beat half the Roosters last week.

Souths by 14.
Tell him he's dreamin !!!!

Shoe1

Journey Man
From the Burrow

Souths by 14.
Do they ever quote our posts?

Shoe1

Journey Man

This article is referring to some of the disquiet I have heard from a mate who works for Souths juniors. Many in the juniors club (which part-funds the Rabbitohs and have board positions) are still trying to work out why Reynolds was rissoled. Arguments this week behind the scenes.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16