Pre-Game Souths v Manly [Finals Week 3, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

32 10
Suncorp Stadium
24 Sep 2021 07:50 PM

Team Lists

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I so want to be optimistic like many of you. I really do. I just don't get the confidence. I so hope you and everyone tipping a win are right.
They are favourites for a reason. Their pack was suspect and they copped huge floggings from Penrith and Storm but since then they have improved. Their backrow is excellent and prop Nicholls is in career best form as is Burgess off the bench. They were quite rabid rabbits in beating Panthers.

As I say, they are favourites - but only narrow favourites. I expect Manly to win.

NYEagle

Bencher
Manly left
Garrick, Parker, Schuster, Foz
VS
Paulo, Graham, Su'A, Reynolds

Manly right
Saab, Harper, Olakau'atu, DCE
VS
Johnston, Gagai, Koloamatangi, Walker

Middle
Croker, Jake, Aloiai, Keppie
VS
Cook, Murray, Tatola, Nichols

Bench
Walker, Lawton, Taupau, Paseka
VS
Marshall, Host, T.Burgess, Arrow

All matches up pretty evenly but the big difference is they have a rookie half playing as a makeshift FB. We have the form player of the comp chiming in all over the field.

IMO we don't even have to win the middle(although that would be nice).
If we just match them and don't beat ourselves with ill discipline, Tommy will be the difference maker.
I agree with everything you say except I think WE HAVE to match or win in the middle. Only with a healthy share or better in the middle will Tommy and co. have any space to move. The 10 metres is shot in this finals series, as it often is, and momentum is created through fast play the balls and post contact metres.

This is one of the most important games in terms of momentum/possession that I can remember, and that is earned through the middle first.

NYEagle

Will on the hill

Bencher
Tipping Member
I agree with everything you say except I think WE HAVE to match or win in the middle. Only with a healthy share or better in the middle will Tommy and co. have any space to move. The 10 metres is shot in this finals series, as it often is, and momentum is created through fast play the balls and post contact metres.

This is one of the most important games in terms of momentum/possession that I can remember, and that is earned through the middle first.

NYEagle
I was only saying 50/50 will be enough.
If we lose the middle even God (TT) won't save us.

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
From the Burrow

Well, well, well. It’s come to this.

After a season at least as strange as, and probably stranger than, last year, we are again just 80 minutes away from the Big Dance.

For those Rabbitoh faithful residing in Queensland it must be some sort of treat getting to watch the footy live week after week. For those of us locked down elsewhere, well we’ve had to get used to screaming at the TV on a weekly basis. I’m used to it by now, but I can’t say it’s my Rabbitoh watching method of choice.

And I can tell you my family were not at all impressed with me standing six inches from the screen bellowing “NO ****ING WAY” about six times when Keaon was penalised for that ridiculous “late” hit on Cleary two weeks ago.

In fact I was so exhausted at full-time I really was glad to have the week off to recover. And I think my family was even gladder.

So here we are. Manly. The Prelim. The hardest game to win and the worst to lose. And our record in the past decade hasn’t been too flash, as we all are no doubt painfully aware. It might be difficult to sift through again, but let’s review. Humour me, I think it will be worth it.

2012 v Bulldogs: Overachieved to make the Prelim. Not expected to win. Gave it a red hot crack until Reyno buggered his hammy and that was it.

2013 v Manly: After smashing Melbourne in week 1, we were massive favourites. Led 14-0 early and crashed. One of the worst nights ever. But the 2014 Premiership was, to some degree, won on that night. The pain was so great that the immense resolve the following year took us all the way.

2014 v Roosters: Obliterated Manly in week 1 but fell behind the reigning Premiers 12-0. We all felt sick. But then followed one of the greatest hours of our lives. Te’o, Burgess and the rest of them bullied the Roosters into submission. Remember the drive home? Remember how we felt the next day?

2018 v Roosters: Underdogs and fairly well beaten. Stuck in the game for quite a while but never really looked like it. A crap night.

2019 v Raiders: Underdogs playing in the Viking cauldron. Not expected to win at all, but absolutely took it to them all night. Didn’t get a single call and had some shocking luck, but still should have won it at the end. Devastating defeat. A very long drive home.

2020 v Penrith: Underdogs again. The Panthers hardly lost a game all year. Stuck with them all the way and were a real chance of jagging a win off the back of Adam’s 40-20 with a couple of minutes to go. Except he stepped on the line.

So, a 1-5 record. Not pretty on the surface. But we’ve only been favourites once, so I’m not overly concerned with the “Souths can’t win in the Prelim” narrative. Put simply, we have usually come up against a stronger, better opponent. And we have usually taken them right to the wire. I think our opponents this year are different.

Now I don’t want to underestimate Manly, but I’m not sure they are really up to our standard. Yes, there’s Turbo. And his brother and DCE and Foran. But other than that? Olakau’atu is strong. The rest of them? Not much experience in big games and, to be honest, not much else either.

We’ve got strength, speed and class all over the park this week. Adam and Cody should create a myriad of opportunities for the outside backs. I can see at least four tries for us. If the defence works hard for the whole 80 minutes I don’t see four tries for Manly. Of course, clock off for ten minutes, which we have been known to do at times this year, and they can score enough points just in that period. But what I saw two weeks ago makes me think a clock off period is highly unlikely.

For me, it’s all about defence and discipline. No silly penalties. Very few six agains. Kick - Chase. Line speed and hard work. All bloody night. And a high completion rate.The tries will come.

Our resolve? We’ve lost this game the last three years. It’s Adam’s last year. And Wayne’s. And Jayden Su’a’s and perhaps Benji’s. For them, it’s now or never. There’s a little bit of 2014 (Burgess, Te’o, Tuqiri) about this group.

Manly haven’t beaten Penrith or Melbourne or Souths all year. They beat half the Roosters last week.
They’ll go hard. But I think we’ll be too good.

Souths by 14.
Meanwhile, in Des's entire career both as a player & a coach he has never lost Prelim Final.

eagleron

Bencher
For what it is worth

Perspective form the South Sydney NRL forum ....

This is a far cry from when we played each other back in round 2. Neither team is the same now as it was then, so we can forget about that.

Dylan Walker has been playing well for Manly in the middle but still has some missed tackles in him, so he should be targeted when he’s on. Otherwise, if we stick to our standard going to the edges, we should be too strong for Parker and Harper.

Shut down Turbo, and do it early. After 20 minutes, if we’ve kept him ineffective, be on the lookout for them to utilise Foran and DCE.

Our forward pack should be too strong for them, and I think our strengths in attack match their weaknesses in defence.

Should be a cracker of a game.
Tell 'em they're dreamin' Bozo

Remy

shuu
Well you know now both our edges our going to fragile!!

Suli better have a wow of a game now, some on here have been talking about him being the game winner and the deciciding factor in us winning.

Feel even less confident now Parker is out.

Suli is either rocks or diamonds player, its his time now to be counted.
It's whether he can perform under pressure. Hasn't played in a month, possibly his last game for the club, last game with his close polynesian boys, been fighting for a spot and been unsettled about it for weeks. He's got a huge chip on his shoulder and he's gotta overcome it all to prove himself on one of the biggest stages of Rugby League. He's our player, he's Manly, we gotta back him all the way through!

Ben

Bencher
I think the Suli inclusion could be a blessing in disguise. He is so lethal with the ball in hand. Watch for a Foran inside ball to Suli charging into the defensive line against the grain. He will eat up plenty of meters here and create opportunities.
Just need to defend and and starve South’s of the ball

stoodamire

Bencher
I think the Suli inclusion could be a blessing in disguise. He is so lethal with the ball in hand. Watch for a Foran inside ball to Suli charging into the defensive line against the grain. He will eat up plenty of meters here and create opportunities.
Just need to defend and and starve South’s of the ball

Arey has a target on him now.

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
That's the worry for me in a big big game not having match fitness for me with a rested souths could spell major disaster for us but on the other hand it could work in our favour.

We will know in about 27 hours whether or not his inclusion is right or not.
I'm the eternal pessimist, but I'm backing Suli to have a blinder. He is going to St Merge next year & in his heart of hearts he knows this is his only chance of a premiership any time soon.

Stewbojevic

Reserve Grader
I'm the eternal pessimist, but I'm backing Suli to have a blinder. He is going to St Merge next year & in his heart of hearts he knows this is his only chance of a premiership any time soon.
He was the MOTM last time he started for us against the Raiders. Damaging with the ball and eats up valuable metres… better than Parker in that respect. Obviously his defensive reads are a worry though.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
That's the worry for me in a big big game not having match fitness for me with a rested souths could spell major disaster for us but on the other hand it could work in our favour.

We will know in about 27 hours whether or not his inclusion is right or not.
Talking of rested players half of souffs and all their stars have played 1 game since Rd 24. They may just be under done you know.

So again des lies

I hate how as a club we can't just be straight with fans , all year this is happening.

I think suli in is a big big risk and one which could blow up in our faces.

Look I get why des does it but I don't like how he 100% can't be trusted in what he says.
On the one hand, I understand that he may want to keep them guessing, so no problem with him keeping us "in the dark".... but this only makes sense if the truth was reveled an hour before kickoff.
So, I don't really understand the ducks & drakes

Eagles4Life

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
So again des lies

I hate how as a club we can't just be straight with fans , all year this is happening.

I think suli in is a big big risk and one which could blow up in our faces.

Look I get why des does it but I don't like how he 100% can't be trusted in what he says.
Mate it's called mind games with the opposition. Bennett does this stuff really well, but he has been schooled by Des this week. Something tells me there is more to come when the side gets cut back to 18. Hats off Des. You have played everybody on this. Well played. Go Manly 🙂😉🙂

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
10 7 3 69 16
12 7 5 135 14
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 6 5 36 13
11 5 6 47 12