• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Gee some great memories here from the Old Farts on Silvertails, I’m way to young to remember Batty playing.

To be honest living in the country and not attending my first game until 1972 might have had more to do with it!!

011.jpg

I’ve been watching since 1980 and Brett is the best since then love that guy.
Makes me sad the **** he went through.
We watch footy players and they are good at being that. But Brett is so much more he is a top human and got felt a **** set of hands

Just my 2 cents.

The best players Manly ever had in my time since '75

1 Fulton
2 Eadie
3 Randall

No doubt Brett would be the next fullback on my list just a head of Ridge.

We have been blessed is all I can say my fellow Manly fans.

Maybe we could/should do a poll of our top 20 players ever. I have seen similar things done with the songs of Springsteen and Dylan, massive polls with thousands of respondents. At the end of the day it really doesn't prove anything other than popularity.

Last edited:
Ah you were too young to see Graham Eadie at his peak. Eadie was a very fast forward like full back who crashed or out sped oppositions, positionally brilliant, an excellent defender and could kick goals from anywhere. Not as scintillatingly fast as Stewart, but if Fulton hadn't come along Eadie may well have been our best ever player. He was awesome. In my best ever Manly team I have Eadie at full back, Stewart and Irvine on the wings, Lyon and Fulton centres, Lyons five eighth and Toovey half.
The forwards would be Reilly, Randall, Menzies, Bull, Krillich, O'Neill and reserves Hasler, Watmough, Kennedy, Roberts
I just got a boner

Brett was a generational player. I loved both he and his brother. The character they showed giving us their own time that Sunday for a BBQ and a game of touch footy with us nuffies!! (Ash Albert's too).

Outstanding both on and off the park.

Jeez I miss their ability, character and presence.

I won't forget the night The Prince, and Le'Strange paper, rock, scissored on who actually scored a try.

Back then, 1 through 25 were brothers. Well oiled machine.
Le'Strange was Filthy!!! Lol i loved those 2 players as well they were the heart of Manly.. when ever they both scored we always won, i occasionally watch the 2008 and 2011 victory box sets these two were absolutely amazing. Glenn stewart in 2011 was sublime, his grubber kick behind manu vatevai in the finals in our own half as gussy boiii said... Genius! (If not for the glorious battle of brookie he would of won the dally m that year) Snakes 1st try and his celebration were awesome.. ah the good ol days! Now for a new dynasty but just quietly if Des stayed i think we would of won 3 years in a row.... maybe 4!

Watched Batty from 1966 and always felt comfortable with him as fullback. As as stated earlier, what a man, steps aside with dignity when Eadie was ready to come through and then served the Club as lower grade coach.
Always felt Moritz to be a cable first grader and goalkicker and Manly were blessed to have capable backups.

Batty went on to coach u/23's and Reserve grade in the 70's .... a true clubman .....

What a pleasure it was to see the great Wombat play, to me the most powerful and destructive fullback ever.

May not have had the sublime skills of Brett but gee his power game was unstoppable!!

If we could have a fullback with the versatility of Rowdy Shearer and Turbo, the sheer speed (pre-knees) and sublime skills of Snake, the fearlessness and goal kicking of Matty Ridge and the power running and defence of Wombat......damn that would be better than good.

For anyone who (like myself) never saw Wombat play live.....just go watch the 1978 Grand Final replay. You will never see a finer display from a fullback.

Now, as for Turbo.....I still think the best is yet to come from him. Remember that in only his first full season at fullback for us (2017) he was arguably the best #1 in the NRL. His problem this year was one that affected the entire team, especially the backs - no 5/8. Instead of being able to be a running fullback, which is the strongest part of his game, more often than not he was forced to play in the line as an extra play maker simply because we only had one, and he's not suited to that role. Croker wasn't up to standard and as much as I think he did better this time around, Walks was again an out of position centre who played like a centre and not a pivot. With LG (or Hodko, whoever Des goes with) in the halves next year alongside DCE it will allow Turbo to actually just be a fullback.

The biggest criticism I could level at Turbo would be his fitness which at times seemed to be lacking this year. And that will no doubt improve under Donny, and that would make him even more formidable.

If we could have a fullback with the versatility of Rowdy Shearer and Turbo, the sheer speed (pre-knees) and sublime skills of Snake, the fearlessness and goal kicking of Matty Ridge and the power running and defence of Wombat......damn that would be better than good.

For anyone who (like myself) never saw Wombat play live.....just go watch the 1978 Grand Final replay. You will never see a finer display from a fullback.

Now, as for Turbo.....I still think the best is yet to come from him. Remember that in only his first full season at fullback for us (2017) he was arguably the best #1 in the NRL. His problem this year was one that affected the entire team, especially the backs - no 5/8. Instead of being able to be a running fullback, which is the strongest part of his game, more often than not he was forced to play in the line as an extra play maker simply because we only had one, and he's not suited to that role. Croker wasn't up to standard and as much as I think he did better this time around, Walks was again an out of position centre who played like a centre and not a pivot. With LG (or Hodko, whoever Des goes with) in the halves next year alongside DCE it will allow Turbo to actually just be a fullback.

The biggest criticism I could level at Turbo would be his fitness which at times seemed to be lacking this year. And that will no doubt improve under Donny, and that would make him even more formidable.
Quite a few highlights of wombat in the recent Speed thrills thread. Including catching a bomb and running 70m

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8