Silvertails Site in danger

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I appreciate having Silvertails as a dedicated platform for my fix of Manly debate and banter.

I haven't ever had any real issues with any other posters being rude to me. (maybe I should post more.........:rofl:)

I find the facebook groups full of occasional fans and "bandwagoners". The debate here is more considered in the main and you guys are, like me, the rusted ons.

More than happy to be a premium member if it helps Dan keep the site going. I'll take Bozo's advice and join the tipping comp as well to help more.

You could use Aloha on your iPhone instead of Safari and pay for the VPN then use TOR and that would scramble your info but would also mean refreshing a thread takes 10 minutes...
I mostly just read the site now and rarely add content so not fussed anymore about privacy.

I have a FB account that I rarely use. It really annoys me that all 'friends', and with a bit of clicking, friends of friends, of friends, can see that N'pops commented on Coco Pop's photo of Corn Flakes.
I love Silvertails because it's a community of die hard Manly supporters. I really appreciate all the work you do on here Dan. The anonymity of the Site is really attractive to me.
Thanks for Silvertails.@:)

Last edited:
I haven't assumed anything, fact is you had security issues in the past, i also said my gut feeling is the site still doesn't feel secure(in part to the past and little things in the present), thirdly the way ads were used on the mobile version did come across as too intrusive and encouraging accidental clicks---that alone damages the sites reputation.(i read another post here also in regards to that) but you did respond quickly to that post which is great to see.

I also have another issue that i don't wish to bring up since it was over 8yrs ago but it changed the way i post here that is for sure.(zero to do with other contributors here which has never bothered me one bit)

Mentioning google analytics is not damaging to your site, you even alluded to it, i never suggested you pass your time going over such details, you openly and honestly alerted people about the possibilities is all.

I recall mentioning years ago about paying to use the site and if my info will be shared with the site and was told (by i think a mod) that this will be the case.(that is why i mentioned in follow up posts i would be more than happy to pay with a brown paper bag)

In relation to clicking and being linked to the first post of the thread, all i am doing is hitting the Rugby League Forum link, scrolling down to a title that looks (half interesting) and clicking the title, that then links to the first post all the time and i have to scroll down to the bottom and hit the double forward button to go to the last page of comments.

I rarely use my phone to visit the site but didn't the old version have number tabs or some other tab to the right of the title so you could hit that and go to the last page of comments, i don't have anything like that now with the new version so i have to hit the title of the thread which obviously links to the first page as per the previous version.

Oh and switching off java in my iphone settings definitely makes your site run real snappy, a huge difference. With Java on i even get times the site crashes probably due to the ads.(yes my gut feeling just in case you take offence again)

Iphone 6 user that is up to date using Safari.

FYI saying your "gut feeling" insinuates that it is insecure.

You and I will have to agree to disagree on that point, this site is as secure as most other sites, the breaches that we had were not as severe as those breaches to some of the bigger systems that you use daily.

Also of note iPhone 6 is not longer a supported device by Apple. The advertising on this site does use JS, that is true, it loads just 3 JS files total and they are extremely small. However JS is used extensively on this site, as with most sites on the internet these days. JS is used for data interaction, likes, notifications, styling, and just about everywhere, again the same as most modern sites.

It is an interesting point that you are concerned about security but have no problem using an iPhone 6 that is no longer being patched for security.

I won't unpack everything here, just that its impossible for me to debate a persons opinion because opinion isn't fact, but just make sure your opinion on this matter is stated that way.

Also we don't use Java, Java is a compiled language that can output HTML. This site uses PHP and Javascript as its languages.

The older version of the system we use 1.5 is deprecated, it's true it had numbers at the top of the page but that added load issues and as such isn't part of this iteration 2.x. For security reasons i.e. the inability to have any future security patches with 1.5 for identified issues, we had to make the move to 2.x. This makes the site even more secure and future-proofed and is a royal pain in my butt as I have to redevelop about 6 major features to the site that I had previously developed

Not sure what you are saying technical coach cause I blocked you last year as I thought you were a bit of a tool and full of your own importance
it seems nothing has changed and now you are an IT expert and web site guru

parra and dragons both had coach Smith who did nothing but spoke like he did

not even sure if you can see this post

Have you considered a Name change to
Technical tool

I back Dan and ur seems most do
And may I ask
Why wouldn’t we

For what it is worth I work in digital marketing and there is a heap we can access about the people we want to target

Not sure what you are saying technical coach cause I blocked you last year as I thought you were a bit of a tool and full of your own importance

Technical tool

And may I ask
Why wouldn’t we
Agree, he's really coming across as a paranoid, nut job, wanker on this one ..... no offence intended.

I usually appreciate @Technical Coach and his contributions, no matter how divisive, but you're wrong on this one - do a bit of research into XenForo before you start throwing too many stones. I can't speak for any earlier than my join date but Dan and the team are doing a great job in 2020.

Also @Dan I hate to say it but you probably need to streamline the forums and ditch the chaff, which kinda flies in the face of the whole purpose of a forum. It's pretty obvious from search engine results and general activity that the Rugby League sub forum is the only one being utilised, easier said than done I guess. Maybe integrating the introduction forum via a stickied thread that is a strict safe space, so to speak, could be a start?

It's hard to compete with the internet for dummies platforms like Facebook and Reddit, you've already found that one out first hand though from the sounds of things.

I'll become a paying member around kickoff this year, apologies for being a Silvertail welfare bludger for all these years

Technical tool

And may I ask
Why wouldn’t we
And here is a prime example of the unnecessary belittling & name calling that is ruining the site.

All forums could be accused of being cliquey it's just the way it is when people can post things and hide behind a screen of anonymity and call people names etc without fear of retribution. Most people though just need to be a bit thicker skinned. From a personal point of view I'm glad this place exists, I'm on the other side of the world, I don't do facebook or any other social media and don't know any other MWSE supporters so rely on this site for my Manly fix and sense of community that it provides.

FYI saying your "gut feeling" insinuates that it is insecure.

You and I will have to agree to disagree on that point, this site is as secure as most other sites, the breaches that we had were not as severe as those breaches to some of the bigger systems that you use daily.

Also of note iPhone 6 is not longer a supported device by Apple. The advertising on this site does use JS, that is true, it loads just 3 JS files total and they are extremely small. However JS is used extensively on this site, as with most sites on the internet these days. JS is used for data interaction, likes, notifications, styling, and just about everywhere, again the same as most modern sites.

It is an interesting point that you are concerned about security but have no problem using an iPhone 6 that is no longer being patched for security.

I won't unpack everything here, just that its impossible for me to debate a persons opinion because opinion isn't fact, but just make sure your opinion on this matter is stated that way.

Also we don't use Java, Java is a compiled language that can output HTML. This site uses PHP and Javascript as its languages.

The older version of the system we use 1.5 is deprecated, it's true it had numbers at the top of the page but that added load issues and as such isn't part of this iteration 2.x. For security reasons i.e. the inability to have any future security patches with 1.5 for identified issues, we had to make the move to 2.x. This makes the site even more secure and future-proofed and is a royal pain in my butt as I have to redevelop about 6 major features to the site that I had previously developed
Don't feed the trolls.

It appears that we can add Internet security to Religion, politics as topics to avoid.

TC stick to your team and football analysis, they are what we are here for, and i personally value them.

Dan in response to the original concern I think the answer is staring you in the face. this site was established 15 (or so) years ago, there was a core bunch of posters who shared a passion for their team.

over this time................you know "Life", peoples priorities change, just you and i for examples, neither of us had kids, were married and subsequently split, now 5 kids between us and 2 failed marriages.

the important things in peoples lives change. and the glut of garbage that is posted here doesn't help, and there are numerous examples in this thread of digs, and cracks albeit veiled behind a screen of "suggestions".

the comment which has subsequently been deleted so i wont name touches on accountability and consequence, and its 100% on the money. this poster as well as many others over the years makes this site a poorer place.

does anyone remember names such as

@Matabele
@susan
@Canteen Worker
@byso
@Ryan
Larry Tate
Earl
@Stevo
@Stevie
@fLIP

etc, some still post here, but most have another 15 years around the sun and really don't have the time or energy to engage.

and yes I fully realise this doesn't help your original question,

So @Dan is this really a question of traffic or more of a Silvertails existential crisis..?
Definitely traffic, it's still high but it's waned by about half over the past 3 years. Lots of people browse but don't post so really it's about engagement and how we can improve numbers and their engagement with the site

I think if you look at the other supporter forums out there; they are all suffering a similar situation. Does anyone have any communication with other forum owners? How are they going?
Also what does our average age look like over the past few years? Is the site getting older? Are we attracting new, younger members to refresh the ones that leave or are young people just less interested in sites like this?

I usually appreciate @Technical Coach and his contributions, no matter how divisive, but you're wrong on this one - do a bit of research into XenForo before you start throwing too many stones. I can't speak for any earlier than my join date but Dan and the team are doing a great job in 2020.

Also @Dan I hate to say it but you probably need to streamline the forums and ditch the chaff, which kinda flies in the face of the whole purpose of a forum. It's pretty obvious from search engine results and general activity that the Rugby League sub forum is the only one being utilised, easier said than done I guess. Maybe integrating the introduction forum via a stickied thread that is a strict safe space, so to speak, could be a start?

It's hard to compete with the internet for dummies platforms like Facebook and Reddit, you've already found that one out first hand though from the sounds of things.

I'll become a paying member around kickoff this year, apologies for being a Silvertail welfare bludger for all these years

"I'll become a paying member around kickoff this year, apologies for being a Silvertail welfare bludger for all these years " ........

Great post and great attitude Oliver

Thank you for doing the right thing feathered friend

The right thing is that Every one that is part of a community should assist their community

So Manly fans being a club member of our club or a Silvertails subscriber is a must

Dont just think about it

Do it today !!!

mail.gif
mail.gif

I think if you look at the other supporter forums out there; they are all suffering a similar situation. Does anyone have any communication with other forum owners? How are they going?
Also what does our average age look like over the past few years? Is the site getting older? Are we attracting new, younger members to refresh the ones that leave or are young people just less interested in sites like this?

Im older, much, than when I joined!!

Lots of older members on here.

I don’t think age is the issue it’s just the ease of the Facebook pages , ie you’re already on FB and it just hits your feed.

I’m on a few of the Manly ones but funnily none of them engage me like Silvertails does!!

I guess there’s some irony in that statement considering what we are discussing.

Im older, much, than when I joined!!

Lots of older members on here.

I don’t think age is the issue it’s just the ease of the Facebook pages , ie you’re already on FB and it just hits your feed.

I’m on a few of the Manly ones but funnily none of them engage me like Silvertails does!!

I guess there’s some irony in that statement considering what we are discussing.
A thought:
Do you think you are less likely to be involved in a debate/conversation on here because it's one you've already had and don't feel the need to revisit it? If so, do you think that reaction has increased with age and time on the site?

A thought:
Do you think you are less likely to be involved in a debate/conversation on here because it's one you've already had and don't feel the need to revisit it? If so, do you think that reaction has increased with age and time on the site?

Yes I think for many that would be a factor.

But I’m still of the firm belief that it’s the ease of FB that’s causing the drop off, Silvertails has to be a conscious decision to come on and look whereas most people are on FB for a number of reasons and all their interests come together in one area.

I think @Dan knows this too.

Silvertails has a relatively under-utilised FB page ( I even think I’m an admin or moderator there).

But it’s of course impossible for Dan to generate any sort of revenue from there.

IF ( perhaps it’s inevitable anyway ) a decision is made to close down the Forum this is where we can go to still interact BUT it’s in your Facebook name , which is usually real not fictitious!!

Doesn’t worry me but it will some.

I have no problem with premium membership as spending my hard earned on Silvertails as it can be passed off as therapy.

Nothing is better than getting on the site and hearing everyone’s options after games when we get ripped by the ref or Greenberg or the judiciary or the NRL etc...

@Dan maybe you could claim some money from my health insurance as I’m pretty sure Silvertails reduces the risks of heart attacks after games.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8