Silvertails Site in danger

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yes I think for many that would be a factor.

But I’m still of the firm belief that it’s the ease of FB that’s causing the drop off, Silvertails has to be a conscious decision to come on and look whereas most people are on FB for a number of reasons and all their interests come together in one area.

I think @Dan knows this too.

Silvertails has a relatively under-utilised FB page ( I even think I’m an admin or moderator there).

But it’s of course impossible for Dan to generate any sort of revenue from there.

IF ( perhaps it’s inevitable anyway ) a decision is made to close down the Forum this is where we can go to still interact BUT it’s in your Facebook name , which is usually real not fictitious!!

Doesn’t worry me but it will some.
I really can't see Facebook taking over anything. I'm not that young but Facebook really feels like something old people use to post pictures of their grandkids and latest cruises to wherever. :)
But I do think newer platforms (Reddit, Discord and the things I haven't heard of cause I'm not that young) definitely take the majority of new and younger people away from forums.

To be clear I have no plan to shutdown at this stage, it is still viable because the tipping comp really pays for it to stay up, but as things decrease that viability drops but who knows what the future holds. More active promotion by everyone and inclusiveness will go a long way

I have been on fb and on twitter but none of them do it for me like our Silvertails forum

You have not really been on a footy forum unless you have had the Silvertails forum experience

Never a dull moment on our site and its full all sorts of amazing characters , heated passion and controversy .

The silvertails forum is where emotions are extremely intense and run wild .

If your not born to be a wild Eagle with Manly passion running through you then you may as well go and hibernate on fb and twitter

Our forum is informative , entertaining and also for those that stick around long enough it is also character building

Let us keep our iconic site by supporting it where it counts

Lets do it

Do it now !!!

go to: https://silvertails.net/account/upgrades
  • Once complete go to Tipping Competition
  • Click sign up next to the 2020 comp
  • Start entering you tips once i get the season loaded in there

unnamed.jpg

Very much appreciate all that you've done and continue to do @Dan :clap:

For the record I wouldn't know 99.9% of silvertailers on here if I fell over them. I really enjoy reading others' views on all things Manly and participating on the forum and just ignore anything I don't agree with. To lose the Silvertails site would be devastating and I'll do my best to continue supporting it.

Thank YOU @Dan.
What did you "dislike" @Rosko or typo?

For me the Facebook groups are just feral. Also the nature of social media makes it difficult to have a long discussion etc

When this place works it a great two sided debate done with respect - some of the god debates in days gone by are a great example of this.

For me the Facebook groups are just feral. Also the nature of social media makes it difficult to have a long discussion etc

When this place works it a great two sided debate done with respect - some of the god debates in days gone by are a great example of this.

God debates.

Lol

Love your work buddy!!

Hi Guys,

I apologise for the click bait, kind of.

I wanted to reach out to start a discussion on a few things here. Silvertails has seen a decline in members and page visits over the past year. Forums are starting to go out of flavour and we lose more and more people to Facebook. Whilst I understand the ease of using Facebook to have discussions, it really does not create the sense of community and good will that we have here.

Whilst I am happy to run Silvertails as long as I possibly can, it would be great to see it thrive like it used to. The way that I see this happening is using vehicles like Facebook to attract new members, there are thousands of people that love The Sea Eagles out there, and I would love to have them join our community and discuss the club that has given us all so much joy, heartache and frustrations over the year.

If you look at the bottom of this thread you will see social media icons, this is true of every thread, what these do is provide you the ability to share the post directly on those platforms, what I would ask is this:

If you see a post that is really good, that you enjoy discussing within, smash those social media share buttons and share the post with Facebook (particularly share that post inside the Facebook Supporter groups), share it with Twitter, share it wherever. Tell a friend, tell their friend. Lets work together to make this site great.

I am about to dedicate a good week or more of my time off from work to purely coding a whole lot of features, I was up until 2am last night working on them, in the background I am doing a lot of things trying to make the site great for all of us, and the small thing I ask is that you guys share posts and help drive people to the same joy we find from the site as well.

Thank you so much

Dan
I love this site, I don't contribute as much as I would like to, largely because I travel 400 k's each week to the coast, quite often on weekends and I'm more often than not working during games, there's some fantastic people on here and there's also a few smartarses as well but that's the kind of mix you get in any social situation, Dan does a marvelous job and it would leave a large hole in my life if it were to discontinue, sorry for the waffle

Always used this forum had an account in the past, lost it, SO I MADE A NEW ONE. Love the inside goss and General manly chat here, I definitely should be a classic facebook user but much prefer here.

Once the season itself starts it’s THE place to be for Manly fans but in the off season it’s sometimes “ scary” as we ( the collective we) can get a fair bit off topic and argumentative.

@HappilyManly used to sign out in October and not return to March but I see a few of her posts now in the off-season, I’m sure her absence in the past has been due to this.

Whilst I don’t hide who I am one benefit of Silvertails is anonymity, although you could start a completely fake account on Facebook as well.

Whilst anonymity is part of it it’s great to meet other Silvertailers face to face, I know Dan has lots on but that is one thing that I think needs to be done regularly.

Whilst I don’t hide who I am one benefit of Silvertails is anonymity, although you could start a completely fake account on Facebook as well.

Whilst anonymity is part of it it’s great to meet other Silvertailers face to face, I know Dan has lots on but that is one thing that I think needs to be done regularly.

One day I am just going to run up behind you and give you a big hug

FYI saying your "gut feeling" insinuates that it is insecure.

You and I will have to agree to disagree on that point, this site is as secure as most other sites, the breaches that we had were not as severe as those breaches to some of the bigger systems that you use daily.

Also of note iPhone 6 is not longer a supported device by Apple. The advertising on this site does use JS, that is true, it loads just 3 JS files total and they are extremely small. However JS is used extensively on this site, as with most sites on the internet these days. JS is used for data interaction, likes, notifications, styling, and just about everywhere, again the same as most modern sites.

It is an interesting point that you are concerned about security but have no problem using an iPhone 6 that is no longer being patched for security.

I won't unpack everything here, just that its impossible for me to debate a persons opinion because opinion isn't fact, but just make sure your opinion on this matter is stated that way.

Also we don't use Java, Java is a compiled language that can output HTML. This site uses PHP and Javascript as its languages.

The older version of the system we use 1.5 is deprecated, it's true it had numbers at the top of the page but that added load issues and as such isn't part of this iteration 2.x. For security reasons i.e. the inability to have any future security patches with 1.5 for identified issues, we had to make the move to 2.x. This makes the site even more secure and future-proofed and is a royal pain in my butt as I have to redevelop about 6 major features to the site that I had previously developed
I’ve worked out where the “go to last comment” is for each thread. No idea why a “Today at 8:20pm” message below the title of the thread that is not even highlighted as a place to click
FYI saying your "gut feeling" insinuates that it is insecure.

You and I will have to agree to disagree on that point, this site is as secure as most other sites, the breaches that we had were not as severe as those breaches to some of the bigger systems that you use daily.

Also of note iPhone 6 is not longer a supported device by Apple. The advertising on this site does use JS, that is true, it loads just 3 JS files total and they are extremely small. However JS is used extensively on this site, as with most sites on the internet these days. JS is used for data interaction, likes, notifications, styling, and just about everywhere, again the same as most modern sites.

It is an interesting point that you are concerned about security but have no problem using an iPhone 6 that is no longer being patched for security.

I won't unpack everything here, just that its impossible for me to debate a persons opinion because opinion isn't fact, but just make sure your opinion on this matter is stated that way.

Also we don't use Java, Java is a compiled language that can output HTML. This site uses PHP and Javascript as its languages.

The older version of the system we use 1.5 is deprecated, it's true it had numbers at the top of the page but that added load issues and as such isn't part of this iteration 2.x. For security reasons i.e. the inability to have any future security patches with 1.5 for identified issues, we had to make the move to 2.x. This makes the site even more secure and future-proofed and is a royal pain in my butt as I have to redevelop about 6 major features to the site that I had previously developed
Just worked out by accident the last comment link is actually the not so obvious not even highlighted small font date under the thread----it doesn't even look like a link to tap on.

1) Dan reading my Java reply in it’s context you would easily be able to work out that what I was referring to is the on/off toggle setting in the Safari settings which is JavaScript---there are no other settings in Safari that refer to Java to have any confusion. (That is such a piss weak response making something out of nothing to place yourself on a pedestal from an in haste typo mistake)

2) Switching off Java Script does make your site snappy and responsive, for someone like me who only reads the comments I don’t miss any extra features Java Script offers.

3) Iphone no longer “supported” doesn’t mean “no more security updates”, but I’m sure that time will come. (Latest security update 28/1/2020 iOS 12.4.5)

4) I don’t use my Iphone 6 for anything serious or to log in with----in reply to your “why am I using an Iphone 6 if I’m paranoid about security” comment. If I’m paranoid about security I run Linux(for banking as an example), Dan I still use Windows 10 for you so that should put a smile on your face and with time I might just re-enable ads.

5)I never said “your site is insecure” I said “my gut feeling is” based off the entire time I have visited this site over the years which means it is my opinion. (then proceeded to give you my reasons)

6) Password hacks, my past experience from way too many years ago that is not relevant now(but just to add weight to how I perceive this site), intrusive ads(still to this day on mobile devices that encourage accidental clicks), website being down more than any other site I frequent,(less so these days) I think you have also referred to hard drives going down a few times also-----all these issues can leave a lasting impression---perception is reality online and is enough to scare people.

7) To the person who commented on “blocking me” what has this got to do with the thread---good for you. This tells me you lack the maturity and ability to filter for yourself who you enjoy reading and in need of a software filter to “tailor the experience” to your tastes.(not hard to just scroll down to the next comment----ohhh right you enjoy promoting your block list like it’s a cool thing to announce)

8) Never professed I know more than Dan, I was asked my reasoning and responded in kind. The way Dan went into overdrive protective mode with some pretty low replies from the outset (which just encouraged a group gang up feast fest) in some ways best illustrates the issues this site has had for years, even if it is less so now---well from my viewpoint I feel it has toned down.

9) I'm sure a Mod replied to my question years ago(within a thread) in relation to "are payment details given to the site", so i was not spreading false info, just going off what i was replied with at the time.(Look it up when you are not reading through google analytics to kill idle time--- yes i am kidding Dan---half kidding)

Last edited:
I don’t know the stats but I feel I post less than I used to. To be honest I’m probably less passionate about the game than I used to be too.

Both those things could be for a number of reasons:
1. Got married and now have 3 kids under 5
2. Work is more demanding
3. NRL is run by a moron.

Having said all that I’d really miss Silvertails if it wasn’t around and I am grateful to @Dan for the great effort he puts into the site and to all of you who make valuable contributions. I don’t really see Facebook sites as @Dan’s competition - I see it as a bit like saying McDonalds is competition to Tetsuyas - but clearly it must be.

And for the record Mad Marcus is not my real name.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8