Game Day: Sharks v Manly [Round 10, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Annesley rd 10 review
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/20/annesley-warns-of-potential-sin-bin-increase/

Catch 22

Refs penalize so they now say we'll just use the bin :eek:
I'm no mathematician but I reckon that chart showing penalties in the so-called red zone (20-metre zone) was misleading.
It looked like there were roughly one-third of such penalties which was way too many according to Annesley.
But:
There are two 20-metre zones on a 100-metre long field (you can't count in-goals). That makes up 40% of the field.
So, logic tells me that they should make up 40% of the penalties.
Am I correct? And if so, it means that there are actually fewer 'red-zone' penalties than there should be, mathematically speaking.

Should we start a tipping comp on who and how many of our players will be sent off the coming weeks. Or tipping how much longer will Samantha burgess get slapped with a wet lettuce leaf

My summation of yesterday's game day experience:

Arrived at Shark Park to be greeted at the front gate by the Sharks' smiling cheergirls wishing us an enjoyable afternoon. What a nice welcome :) - this might be something Manly could do and @The Wheel or @Mitch might like to mention it at a members' council meeting.

Had excellent GA seats in an area where there was a 50/50 mix of fans. The Sharks' fans were all friendly, not aggressive or abusive and were a credit to Cronulla (unlike some other clubs).

The ground announcer acknowledged that ScoMo was there and congratulated him on his election victory and the crowd cheered and applauded him.

The Sharks were celebrating their members' round and announced a group of their members had won a spot on the sideline during the warm-up, then to be in the guard of honour when players run on. (Reminded me of our Manly game day experiences and figured Lyall Gorman had brought that to Brookie.)

The game was so good and loved watching the team defend and bustle the Sharkies out of the game. Their goal-line defence was superb. Cust had a great debut and didn't show any sign of nerves. Imo Elliott played his best game and withstood a mountain of pressure from the Sharks. He was the only player to come over to us after the game and hi-5 the Manly fans @:)

The only negative was in the 1st half every time Dylan Walker either tackled a player or had the ball he was booed by the Sharks crowd on the eastern side of the stadium. Unwarranted imho. In the 2nd half when he was on the western side all was quiet from the Sharks and I was pleased for him that he scored his try.

To top off the fantastic afternoon, we walked past the dressing sheds as we were leaving to hear a loud rendition of Manly's winning team song :rofl: Welcome back Dessie and well done Manly :party:

Last edited:
My summation of yesterday's game day experience:

Arrived at Shark Park to be greeted at the front gate by the Sharks' smiling cheergirls wishing us an enjoyable afternoon. What a nice welcome :) - this might be something Manly could do and @The Wheel or @Mitch might like to mention it at a members' council meeting.

Had excellent GA seats in an area where there was a 50/50 mix of fans. The Sharks' fans were all friendly, not aggressive or abusive and were a credit to Cronulla (unlike some other clubs).

The ground announcer acknowledged that ScoMo was there and congratulated him on his election victory and the crowd cheered and applauded him.

The Sharks were celebrating their members' round and announced a group of their members had won a spot on the sideline during the warm-up, then to be in the guard of honour when players run on. (Reminded me of our Manly game day experiences and figured Lyall Gorman and brought that to Brookie.)

The game was so good and loved watching the team defend and bustle the Sharkies out of the game. Their goal-line defence was superb. Cust had a great debut and didn't show any sign of nerves. Imo Elliott played his best game and withstood a mountain of pressure from the Sharks. He was the only player to come over to us after the game and hi-5 the Manly fans @:)

The only negative was in the 1st half every time Dylan Walker either tackled a player or had the ball he was booed by the Sharks crowd on the eastern side of the stadium. Unwarranted imho. In the 2nd half when he was on the western side all was quiet from the Sharks and I was pleased for him that he scored his try.

To top off the fantastic afternoon, we walked past the dressing sheds as we were leaving to hear a loud rendition of Manly's winning team song :rofl: Welcome back Dessie and well done Manly :party:

Thanks for the summary. Was there much Manly support at the ground? It didn’t come through on the tv as much as in others years at Shark Park.

Thanks for the summary. Was there much Manly support at the ground? It didn’t come through on the tv as much as in others years at Shark Park.
Thanks @Bradza . Yes there were plenty of Manly fans around the NE corner of Shark Park in the away supporters' area and GA next to it. Hard to say about the rest of the ground. The Ch 9 'desk' on the sideline was actually right in front of the away supporters' bay.

A special shout out to the people posting in this thread during game day.

I only had basic internet with not much 'data' so streaming the game wasn't an option. So I had the sea-eagles site open with their 'game time' updates and this thread to fill in all the gaps on what was really happening.

THANK YOU! :)

So happy we won (obv)

How stupid to the refs think we are? 10 straight penalties until the sharks finally get try.... then a quick penalty for Manly so we all aren't supposed to remember what had just been going on for the last 15 mins.

It has been said that ref's should 'see' penalties but not go looking for them. That's pretty sound advice, unless the ref's are trying to give a leg up to one team and thankfully for them the game is full of subjective rules for the refs to adjudicate on.

Still, great effort Manly. Amazing really.

Best part of the game for me was young cust doing the drunk crab to give away that penalty in the second half. Crawling back into the play the ball like that was funny as ****.....

He knew exactly what he was doing to give the boys a chance to regroup. This kid has real game awareness and could be a real good FG player for us if the opportunity arises.

Best part of the game for me was young cust doing the drunk crab to give away that penalty in the second half. Crawling back into the play the ball like that was funny as ****.....

He knew exactly what he was doing to give the boys a chance to regroup. This kid has real game awareness and could be a real good FG player for us if the opportunity arises.
Speaking of funny, the funniest part for me sitting behind the eastern goalpost were the Sharks about 10M out, Manly's defense line set, Fifita's taking the ball up and Marty's in front of him, lined up and ready. Suddenly Fifita sees Marty and does a complete 360 and stops dead. Marty does the easiest 'tackle' he'll ever do. Gave all the Manly fans quite a laugh @:D

walker was only getting served up what he dished out last time when he broke one of their players jaw and then ran his mouth of at the poor guy for being soft. Reap what you sow mate

Yup and so confide

Yup and so confident too - barking orders and organising hardened first graders and always had a smile on his face. Terrific prospect :D

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8