Sea Eagles $10M deal to keep Trbojevics

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Not to be a picky so and so, but you can't just start uo a super fund with a $500k balance. You would breach contribution caps by a long shot.

You only get tax breaks on personal contributions up to $25k per year.
We are getting away from the subject here, however, you can start a self managed super fund for around $500,000, or contribute to an industry super fund, however this amount would consist of around three years on NON concessional contributions being brought forward, however, as this money in the Turbos' case be a form of income, then tax has to be paid on it.
The $25,000 cap only applies to concessional contributions, where this amount is offset against your taxable income, and a tax rate of 15% applies to this contribution.
Either way, the club cannot guarantee or solicit or promise third party deals on behalf of players, I don't even think that a company , providing they are not sponsors of the club, can approach the club seeking to offer a third party deal, everything has to be done at arms length from the club.

We are getting away from the subject here, however, you can start a self managed super fund for around $500,000, or contribute to an industry super fund, however this amount would consist of around three years on NON concessional contributions being brought forward, however, as this money in the Turbos' case be a form of income, then tax has to be paid on it.
The $25,000 cap only applies to concessional contributions, where this amount is offset against your taxable income, and a tax rate of 15% applies to this contribution.
Either way, the club cannot guarantee or solicit or promise third party deals on behalf of players, I don't even think that a company , providing they are not sponsors of the club, can approach the club seeking to offer a third party deal, everything has to be done at arms length from the club.

Thanks. I am a finacial planner so know how super contributions work

And I am also well aware you can start an SMSF with $500k.

My point was, a 22 and 25 year old would be better served investing outside super.

Any club would be crazy not to want them. How many times on here do we read wishlists of various Silvertails?
Pearce? Yep, we'll have him!
Taumololo? Yep, be great when he's playing for us!
Tim Mannah? Sure, someone will want him.

I do wish we had decent sports journos covering the game though but.

My point was, a 22 and 25 year old would be better served investing outside super.
I wasn't trying to be a smart arse, I was just stating fact, also I had no idea that you are a financial planner, and I expect that you would know how super contributions work.
I am not a financial advisor, however my advice to the boys would be just do what they have been doing already, ie, just keep on buying property, it is something they already know about, and something they are comfortable with.

No reason to feel any anxiety over Tom or Jake jumping ship (I hope). They’re Manly through and through, have great family support, good teammates, and a coach who can tell them all about the dangers of taking the Bulldogs’ coin. They’re also smart - smart enough to know that by going elsewhere they’d actually be devaluing their “brand” (I hate that word, but there it is). They’re also smart enough to know there’s no point in eating up all the team’s salary cap so there’s no room left for anybody else. If the team keeps getting better and stays as competitive as they’ve been this year, there’s no need for them to be anywhere else.

The Turbros have something that Toddy and his pet journalists will never, ever understand: integrity.

Integrity and an understanding of the tribalism and passion that the game is truly built on, and how these things are what make the game strong and why a club like Manly is so important to the soul of the game.

We are loved, or hated, and that passion is what drives this game... and that emotional investment is evident in how Jake and Tom play and represent Manly..

They love this place and ain’t going anywhere, and it won’t take dodgy double contracts and TPS’s to keep them. Pay them well, and let them keep their jerseys, and be competitive with them..

Last edited:
So maybe we have figured out how the Rooters do it. They get $500K payment at beginning, invest it with Uncle Con and friends managing their portfolio, low and behold they make 300% every year for 5 years. Only pay 50% CGT because they hold the funds for more than 1 year.

If I looked after them as Financial Planner I would only charge 2% fee for service! Please give me a call!

The Turbros have something that Toddy and his pet journalists will never, ever understand: integrity.

Integrity and an understanding of the tribalism and passion that the game is truly built on, and how these things are what make the game strong and why a club like Manly is so important to the soul of the game.

We are loved, or hated, and that passion is what drives this game... and that emotional investment is evident in how Jake and Tom play and represent Manly..

They love this place and ain’t going anywhere, and it won’t take dodgy double contracts and TPS’s to keep them. Pay them well, and let them keep their jerseys, and be competitive with them..

For future reference Komori - don't ever use words in a thread that Toddy doesn't understand - integrity, passion, loyalty.

I can understand why the players on low to middle of the road contracts would scrimp for every dollar because they impact less on the cap, but those like DCE and Trbo’s would be mad to hold a club ransom.

The more they take, the less there is left over to fill the squad around them with quality, thus impacting their chance of success.

If I knew my contract at the Dogs was gonna see me well paid but running along side reserve grade garbage each week, I’d take less to stay at Manly and play along side talent...at least you might win something.

I wouldn't be panicking about the Trbojevics. Several things will hold them to the Sea Eagles. They live at Narrabeen, their younger brother has signed with them, they know Des Hasler is one of the best coaches around, the Manly crowd love them, they were raised loving the Sea Eagles. As long as Manly show them respect with a competitive offer, no way will they leave.

Go away you don’t belong here. Talking about super and investments in a footy forum. Hang your head in shame brother :p :p :p

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8