Schuster or Foran for 5/8th 2022

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Schuster or Foran, 5/8th in 2022

• Foran

Votes: 91 65.0%
  • Schuster

Votes: 52 37.1%
  • Walker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Croker

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Personally I think Foz has been fantastic but sometimes you need to make the tough calls before its too late.

There is potential for Kieran's form to and fitness to deteriorate quickly.

I'd be looking at Schuster as the 6 in 2023 with Foz having the opportunity to play 14 ala Walker or Benji on a year to year deal or move on for a longer term contract.

Is management promising a player they will play a certain position even a thing?

Surely the coach decides that, based on the squad he's got and what's best for the team, at the time, and I am not sure Des would promise he would be 5/8 by year X. Sure discussions would have been had about his role at manly leading i to the future, but you fit where the team needs you, where your skill level/skillets currently lie and where you are at in your development.

Is it just kids these days...demanding to play a specific position?
Who knows ? with the recent revelations around Humphreys you don't know what he may have been promising.

Anyway I'm not sure Schuster is the style of player to suit your modern day 6. He reminds me of the old school 6's that were ball playing backrower types, eg Scott Hill, Jim Dymock, Brad Mackay, Fittler in latter years, Wally, etc. You don't see those sort of guys much in the modern game because of all the structured play. Maybe he can reprise the role. You'd need a very disciplined half though to do all the driving around, and we'd need a better hooker - neither of which we look like getting in the short term

I think his future is more your Gift, Wade Graham, Kenny Bromwich type edge backrower. One that is a hybrid backrower/centre with ball skills and a bit of kicking game, but still tough enough to bend the line and run a hole.

Schuster is too overweight to play 5/8. What made him excel was his explosive speed and footwork at 6 in the juniors.

Sure he still had the skill, but Owen Craigie was also better our wide, and they are similar players.

Just struggled size wise in the halves.
He's trimmed down. Looks much leaner compared to last year. And with all the puppy fat he had last year, he still looked very good and comfortable when he played those two games in the halves. So imagine now..

The photos of preseason before he was injured showed a much leaner schu so I reckon they did have some intention of playing him @ 6 at some point this season.

And what pray tell do you plan on doing with arguably one of our most consistent and best players (this season) in Foran in the meantime? Schuster gets a go at 6 only IF and when Foz is injured. You're taking the piss.

And what pray tell do you plan on doing with arguably one of our most consistent and best players (this season) in Foran in the meantime? Schuster gets a go at 6 only IF and when Foz is injured. You're taking the piss.
Taking the piss wtf. I am merely stating that he looked a lot trimmer and fitter during the preseason and there may have been plans to play him at 6 at some point. Foran has been our best all year. It’s unusual for you to try to bully other posters. Not.

Shoey is the future. Id like to keep Foz on but if it means losing shoey we may have to look at it closely. Maybe move Foz to hooker. We haven't re-signed Foz so maybe the plan is to let him go. It would be a shame as he's been nigh on our best.

Taking the piss wtf. I am merely stating that he looked a lot trimmer and fitter during the preseason and there may have been plans to play him at 6 at some point. Foran has been our best all year. It’s unusual for you to try to bully other posters. Not.

Yeah, okay @:D

If Foz is fit, Foz plays. Des isn't, wasn't and wouldn't be throwing him on the bench to facilitate Schuster. The much more sensible approach is that he could play Lock, VERY similar to 5/8, and allows Jake to become a middle forward. Hell, if Schusters management is being weird about it, swap his and forans jumper around, they'd be playing the same role anyways.

Honestly, I'd be considering a year or two extension for Foran. Literally one of the most direct backs we have. Stands deep, hits the ball at speed. Gives his all.

SOO time, you'd be okay with Foz at 7, Schuster at 6, hopefully Lawton at 9. Hopefully by then we have some players healthy (for a change !)

Imagine this:

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Toluau Koula
04. Dylan Walker
05. Reuben Garrick
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Josh Aloiai
09. Manase Fainu
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
12. Andrew Davey
13. Josh Schuster

14. Karl Lawton
15. Taniela Paseka
16. Marty Taupau
17. Sean Keppie

Depth: Ethan Bullemor, Toff Sipley, Lachlan Croker, Morgan Harper, Brad Parker, Christian Tuipulotu. This team would challenge Penrith and Melbourne imo.

An option is that he could take the departing Walker's role as a roving lock at the start of next year (or maybe this year if Walker gets injured).

Before people bristle at the suggestion of him being a bench player... Coming in at 14 he wouldn't have to make as many tackles as a starting lock forward. He'd get 50-60 minutes per game with a licence to do some ball-playing (and ergo getting game time as a ball player), while the organisation of the team still goes to DCE and Foran.

He's a pretty big unit too so this wouldn't throw out the composition of the bench either.

Des seems to only makes changes when his players are fundamentally not doing their assigned job, or a replacement player's performances in that position demand selection. Neither of those are happening for the 5/8 spot at the moment, so I don't see Josh being gift-wrapped a #6 jersey at this stage.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8