Schuster or Foran for 5/8th 2022

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Schuster or Foran, 5/8th in 2022

• Foran

Votes: 91 65.0%
  • Schuster

Votes: 52 37.1%
  • Walker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Croker

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
DCE needs to move to hooker. Goran to half. Shuster to 5/8. Problem solved.

Personally think shuster would make a great lock.. media goes on about Jake ball playing abilities. He has one good player. Shuster would be on gifty level.

I also think he could be a Jamie Lyon style centre. Plus his defence would improve us out wide too.

He can almost play anywhere. You don't let these players go. To think Jake is on 900k.. Yelp.

Yeah, okay @:D

If Foz is fit, Foz plays. Des isn't, wasn't and wouldn't be throwing him on the bench to facilitate Schuster. The much more sensible approach is that he could play Lock, VERY similar to 5/8, and allows Jake to become a middle forward. Hell, if Schusters management is being weird about it, swap his and forans jumper around, they'd be playing the same role anyways.

Honestly, I'd be considering a year or two extension for Foran. Literally one of the most direct backs we have. Stands deep, hits the ball at speed. Gives his all.

SOO time, you'd be okay with Foz at 7, Schuster at 6, hopefully Lawton at 9. Hopefully by then we have some players healthy (for a change !)

Imagine this:

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Toluau Koula
04. Dylan Walker
05. Reuben Garrick
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Josh Aloiai
09. Manase Fainu
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
12. Andrew Davey
13. Josh Schuster

14. Karl Lawton
15. Taniela Paseka
16. Marty Taupau
17. Sean Keppie

Depth: Ethan Bullemor, Toff Sipley, Lachlan Croker, Morgan Harper, Brad Parker, Christian Tuipulotu. This team would challenge Penrith and Melbourne imo.
Please, not the Manase fantasy. He will probably never play again, and certainly not this year.

I can understand the danger in the situation, regardless of an injury to Foran; fully fit, he is still only a year or two away from retirement and someone needs to play 6 when he is gone.

I’m sold on Schu being a great footballer but not sold on him at 6. People talk about it being his position growing up but that’s untrue. He was always a centre/backrower until Manly decided to throw him into the halves in SG Ball. He’s pretty much got 1.5 seasons of lower grade football (injured for a large portion of it) worth of experience in that position and that’s it. He wasn’t picked at 6 in junior rep sides either.

I think he suits ball playing backrower or maybe a Radley/Yeo type ball playing lock. But regardless, I would hate to see him leave Manly.

Neither was Foran. He played Centre and Lock while his Brother Liam was the star 5/8. But he turned out a decent 6 when junior coaches gave him a shot, I believe around the same age

I assumed that extending DCE meant we would not offer Foran a new deal. Foran now wants to play on and if his form and fitness hold up he will attract some interest for next year, but at this stage I doubt it would be with Manly. Possibly a one year deal at Dolphins?
The complication might be if Schu can't get on the field and show enough at some stage to confirm he is our future 5/8. Already a few doubters on ST and partly just due to his size and physique.

The next few months should make everything clearer.

Consult Betty Boop GIF by Fleischer Studios

I assumed that extending DCE meant we would not offer Foran a new deal. Foran now wants to play on and if his form and fitness hold up he will attract some interest for next year, but at this stage I doubt it would be with Manly. Possibly a one year deal at Dolphins?
The complication might be if Schu can't get on the field and show enough at some stage to confirm he is our future 5/8. Already a few doubters on ST and partly just due to his size and physique.

The next few months should make everything clearer.

Consult Betty Boop GIF by Fleischer Studios
Just havnt seen enough of him to know
What we have seen is silky skills, pretty flamboyant and young and prone to error at times with unforced errors. Fair enough
Physically strong
Foran playing well but more so controlled is clouding judgement, with few errors

The biggest question that needs to be asked is can manly improve with schuster and cherry considering our forwards and hooker cant gain enough ascendeny for cherry, what will schuster change.

I see schuster and adam reynolds working as an example . Cherry is trying to take more control and could be that foil , but seems to lose focus with ball in hand.

I like foran and know we will go backwards without his contributions but if he stays its to play 14 initially

Ideally we see foran and schuster in the halves this season

Ideally we see foran and schuster in the halves this season
You aren't the only one who's suggested Foz to half but reality is we've now nailed DCE's colours to our mast so I just don't see that as an option for 2023-4. Could happen this year but only as replacement if DCE is absent through SOO or injury.

Cherry is trying to take more control and could be that foil , but seems to lose focus with ball in hand.

Cherry gets tackled on the 4th way too often to ever be a "controlling" half.
His kicking game is undeniably good, but jeez he can lack patience at times.

I think people get a little swept up with the ball playing locks going around and forget that it is still a middle forward position where you need to also take hard carries and make 40 odd tackles.

I dont want to blunt Schu llike Jake has been.

Foz is playing great but you cant always live in the now you need to also keep an eye on the future.

I'd be starting Schuster at 5/8 in 2023 as it stands

You aren't the only one who's suggested Foz to half but reality is we've now nailed DCE's colours to our mast so I just don't see that as an option for 2023-4. Could happen this year but only as replacement if DCE is absent through SOO or injury.
Yeah understand that. Its not about moving forward as opposed to seeing what different types of players and styles brings to the side.

I did say if foran stays he is 14 initially

So .. over summer at kirribilli house Foz promised to step down from 5/8 and hand over to the schu. Seems like he’s back flipping on the deal?

Cherry gets tackled on the 4th way too often to ever be a "controlling" half.
His kicking game is undeniably good, but jeez he can lack patience at times.
Yeah i agree 200% , but ive been saying this stuff for 5 years , dubbed him happy gilmore many moons ago as he can kick like noone ive seen , but his kicking game is pretty inconsistent at best , but his fans have made me aware that i need to try to put a positive spin on it otherwise someone rushes out of the line and plays the man,

Just avoiding that pretty much, thats why i used inconsistent to describe his kicks.

Most likely see Schuster returning to the 2 nd row in any case soon with Davey now unavailable. Really can't move Foz from 6 with his present form and will be a big call to offer him another season , Probably just depend on how he fares for the next half dozen games or so but again can 't be questioned that he has been one of Manly 's better performers this season to date . No doubt that Josh could contribute well as a 6 , though still a bit unsure of his kicking game, not the most critical requirement but never a less an important factor . Different matter if josh had some issues playing in the back row and noticed some reports last season when he was going well there that he was possibly being considered for rep duties . Seems to be more of an issue of retaining Foz next season and that shouldn ;t be determined by one player maybe wishing or expecting to play in a preferred position and as talented as he is .

To be fair to Schuster ,he has only been given 1 game at 6 last year and played well .We should judge him on how he performs if he is given say 6 games at 6 or 7 for 6 weeks .I for one cannot wait for him to string a couple of games in the halves because I know he will prove the doubters .

Liam was a halfback and was better than Pearce in the juniors. Pearce played 5/8th with him at Asquith. Keiran played a bit of fullback at the magpies too
Neither was Foran. He played Centre and Lock while his Brother Liam was the star 5/8. But he turned out a decent 6 when junior coaches gave him a shot, I believe around the same age

Reactions: R3
Schuster is now stuck in the Lachlan Croker or Cade Cust position where he has a spot in the team but its not his preferred position because of Foran and dce lol.

The problem is second row doesnt pay spine money.

Schuster is now stuck in the Lachlan Croker or Cade Cust position where he has a spot in the team but its not his preferred position because of Foran and dce lol.

That is correct and obviously the burning issue.

I am sure if it has anything to do with money Schuster would have left for another club .

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7