Sam Verrils facing 2 weeks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I’d suggest the hullabaloo by the Rorters regarding the Trell / Manu tackle a few weeks ago really played on them not getting their player off last night.

Because as a number have stated , you can’t whinge when it’s a player of another team but then expect a different outcome when it’s one of your own.

The Rosters are like a spoilt child that are used to getting their own way. I hope the referees remember what Robinson said about the referees and the bunker two weeks ago and don't do the Roosters any favours this week end. I am still shocked their field goal was allowed with two players off side. I can't see that being allowed this weekend. Go Manly.

In comparison to other charges, it definitely should not have been a 2 week suspension

If it were one of the Manly players, we would be going off as victims big time.

Honestly I thought it was a 50-50 thing, and wouldn't have been surprised if it was downgraded.

However now that I have read that Rothfield thinks the suspension is a disgrace, I realise that it must be the right call by the judiciary.

I was positive the charge would be downgraded and he'd be free to play, especially given the Paulo fine in the same week. Just goes to show that the NRL judiciary is consistently baffling - you really have no idea where things might land on any particular night.

I do agree, however, that the system is a joke and needs major change. The idea of getting an extra week on the sidelines simply for pleading not guilty has never sat right with me.

do agree, however, that the system is a joke and needs major change. The idea of getting an extra week on the sidelines simply for pleading not guilty has never sat right with me.
You don't get an extra week for contesting. You get a discount for pleading guilty. Most justice systems have the same sort of provision for a discount for pleading.
The reason is twofold, first you are acknowledging you did the wrong thing and demonstrating some remorse. Secondly, there are utilitarian benefits, namely saving significant time and costs in convening courts, judges, witnesses etc.

You don't get an extra week for contesting. You get a discount for pleading guilty. Most justice systems have the same sort of provision for a discount for pleading.
The reason is twofold, first you are acknowledging you did the wrong thing and demonstrating some remorse. Secondly, there are utilitarian benefits, namely saving significant time and costs in convening courts, judges, witnesses etc.
Thats right just like a lawyer to clearly explain that its the exact opposite to what all us pie eaters thought it was i.e a discount for pleading guilty not a double penalty for contesting,
just sayin

The penalty isn't one week. The penalty is 2 weeks. The effect is the same, I'll give you that. But if there was no incentive to plead guilty, every single defendant would go to trial and time and cost blowouts would make it all unworkable. Not defending it in particular, just commenting on the reason for it.

I was positive the charge would be downgraded and he'd be free to play, especially given the Paulo fine in the same week. Just goes to show that the NRL judiciary is consistently baffling - you really have no idea where things might land on any particular night.

I do agree, however, that the system is a joke and needs major change. The idea of getting an extra week on the sidelines simply for pleading not guilty has never sat right with me.
I found it odd that they took the guilty plea but then wanted it downgraded.
Wouldn't you say, "Not Guilty to a Grade 2 as we're challenging the grading" and then decide to plead guilty or not?

There have been some baffling decisions/charges this year but it is what it is and we'll never understand it.

I found it odd that they took the guilty plea but then wanted it downgraded.
Wouldn't you say, "Not Guilty to a Grade 2 as we're challenging the grading" and then decide to plead guilty or not?

There have been some baffling decisions/charges this year but it is what it is and we'll never understand it.
It's pretty common to do this. Isn't that just pretty much what they did anyway?

I think sanity prevailed for this.

Disappointing for Verrills to be sure, but he was going in to hit, above the ball, leading with a shoulder - and that carries a risk of it going wrong in that split-second hit window.

They have been emphasising danger of hits to the head this year and cracking down - and he broke Brain Kelly's nose after all - he obviously got him flush with a hit that would see Kelly miss games.

One of the biggest issues here for me is not the charge but the extra loading for contesting. Why do you receive a discount for not contesting?

Yet again another rule that was brought in to safeguard those in positions of authority from scrutiny.

Yep I don't think two weeks is too much when you have broken a guy's nose with the point of your shoulder. Considering it would have only been one week if he'd taken the plea it really was a pretty light charge.

Really the only reason for it being an issue at all is because they're about to go into a must-win final with so many players out. Given the dream run the Roosters have had over the past decade I really don't feel sorry for them at all that they've finally had some bad luck. I just wish the Storm would get their share too.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4