Salary Cap Witch Hunt. **Appeal unsuccessful**

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think we need to put the idea of signing ANYONE until at least the far back end of the season away from our focus.
The NRL will not even look at, let alone register, any contract we put in front of them until after the appeal is concluded or denied.
It has been over 2 weeks since we notified the NRL of our intent to appeal and there hasn't been a word about it yet. This will be a looonng process, especially if the NRL is afraid of losing it.
They will drag it out until seasons end if they look like losing and release the news when nobody is thinking about footy while down the beach etc.
No decent player is going to touch us with a 10' pole before this is finished, just like dogboy didn't.
I doubt we will be in any position to sign players of note until for the 2020 season if we don't win the appeal and the 660k back. It will take some mercurial juggling just to retain our best squad for next year and that MUST be our focus.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and the voice of reason but it's better we concentrate on doing the best we can with what we have got right now than pipedreams of who we may sign.

Last edited:
I think we need to put the idea of signing ANYONE until at least the far back end of the season away from our focus.
The NRL will not even look at, let alone register, any contract we put in front of them until after the appeal is concluded or denied.
It has been over 2 weeks since we notified the NRL of our intent to appeal and there hasn't been a word about it yet. This will be a looonng process, especially if the NRL is afraid of losing it.
They will drag it out until seasons end if they look like losing and release the news when nobody is thinking about footy while down the beach etc.
No decent player is going to touch us with a 10' pole before this is finished, just like dogboy didn't.
I doubt we will be in any position to sign players of note until for the 2020 season if we don't win the appeal and the 660k back. It will take some mercurial juggling just to retain our best squad for next year and that MUST be our focus.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and the voice of reason but it's better we concentrate on doing the best we can with what we have got right now than pipedreams of who we may sign.

Sadly I fear you are dead right.

Keep the ones we want, get rid of the ones we don’t and bring up the kids and forget about any superstar names!!

The wolves have been baying how lenient our penalty is and Greenturd even disguised it to appear so, maybe to appease the Manly rabble a touch.

We have all been feeling that it wasn't so bad, even to the point of just copping it and moving on... but when it is dissected it will be shown to be the worst possible penalty they could have applied to hurt us long term.

We would be FAR better off if they just fined us and deducted points.

Greenturd has really stuck it to us bigtime while making it appear too lenient.

Very clever indeed.

Last edited:
This is not a priority for the NRL right now. Greenberg is busy making arrangements to travel to North Queensland in order to eyeball Todd Carney. (The Cows already have 3 International halves but this is far more important for the CEO to spend time on at present).

This is not a priority for the NRL right now. Greenberg is busy making arrangements to travel to North Queensland in order to eyeball Todd Carney. (The Cows already have 3 International halves but this is far more important for the CEO to spend time on at present).

Greenturd was absent from the "eyeballing", it was carried out by some of his underlings last week.
That's why there has not been an announcement, coz Greenturd didn't do it as he claimed he would.
He was never going to stop Carney playing for the cows so why waste his time eyeballing him. He's a busy man you know!

The wolves have been baying how lenient our penalty is and Greenturd even disguised it to appear so, maybe to appease the Manly rabble a touch.

We have all been feeling that it wasn't so bad, even to the point of just copping it and moving on... but when it is dissected it will be shown to be the worst possible penalty they could have applied to hurt us long term.

We would be FAR better off if they just fined us and deducted points.

Greenturd has really stuck it to us bigtime while making it appear too lenient.

Very clever indeed.

Or not.

The Cows already have 3 International halves but this is far more important for the CEO to spend time on at present).
this. 3 international halves, worth a combined 2.5 mill surely.
seeing the roosters, broncos, storm, even sharks squad as well as stuff like this at the cowboys really gets me going. how are we the club being done for the cap? we have no experienced bench forwards even in our strongest 17. we have a five-eighth on max 150k a year, brian kelly is on 160k a year, uate is on like 150 as well etc.... the list of cheapies goes on.
we have dce 1.2mill, the trbos on 900k and 750k (i think), taupau, walker and maybe api if hes lucky on big money. sironen and thompson wouldnt be on too much.
something really isn't right.

It comes down to us either losing our appeal or Greenturd loses his job!!, He will move heaven and earth to save his own scrawny neck. I do hope that the appeal brings into focus his conduct as CEO of the game and his selective interventions that advantage the pet clubs and ignore clubs with genuine needs. You have to ask yourself, who the hell allowed this piece of vermin to get this role in the first place?? Teflon Todds number is going to come up sooner or later!!

One part of the case against Manly again that can definitely be debunked or refuted is Greenberg "s claim in an official interview that some of the T P A "s that were offered in some manner to players in negotiations then prevented other clubs from making approaches . Of course this is just a baseless and implausible contention , yet here was Greenberg a few weeks ago using this notion to attempt to justify the sanction and ruling against Manly . Then chairman Beatie with all of his so called footy and legal understanding just going along in puppet mode with this line . So still a couple of unknowns with the background and T P A 's circumstances but if the clear indication of Greenberg's ignorance and misrepresentation is any example with the restriction on player negotiation claim is any example , their stance and ruling could very well be on shaky and questionable ground .

In the Telegraph this morning there is a small article saying .... that our case is unwinnable because .... that with regard to the appeal .. even if the NRL are wrong .... there exists a clause that says they can simply say so what ... and then award costs against Manly ....

WTF ...

Can anybody find and post the article ..... cheers ...

Engaging and hiring a private sector company with a direct link to one existing N R L board member to investigate Manly is bad enough . Also one would think that any appeals tribunal roles would automatically be financed or remunerated by the N R L as standard practice . They would not be regarded surely as a private legal entity so how could they and with those sets of guidelines award costs against the appealing club . Maybe they could and regardless of the outcome but would seem a bit unusual .

The rule apparently says “if the NRL appeals committee is of the opinion that the issue or issues raised by an appeal might be decided in favour of the Appellant [Manly] but consider that no substantial miscarriage of justice has occurred, the NRL Appeals Committee shall dismiss the appeal and may direct he Appellant to pay the Respondent’s costs of and incidental to the matter”.

I am pretty sure that the penalties imposed would give rise to a substantial miscarriage of justice if Manly can prove its case.

The rule apparently says “if the NRL appeals committee is of the opinion that the issue or issues raised by an appeal might be decided in favour of the Appellant [Manly] but consider that no substantial miscarriage of justice has occurred, the NRL Appeals Committee shall dismiss the appeal and may direct he Appellant to pay the Respondent’s costs of and incidental to the matter”.

I am pretty sure that the penalties imposed would give rise to a substantial miscarriage of justice if Manly can prove its case.

Thanks Ranga .... so the NRL can say ... OK we were wrong ... but bugger you, we are going to dismiss your appeal and charge you for the pleasure .... WTF

How the **** does that clause get through a lawyer's breakfast?

fmd, as woodsie said "So you might be right, but we have subjectively determined that it doesn't really matter...and you have to pay all costs for being inconsiderate enough to make us all look like fools."

Even a kangaroo court would look at that and say "wow, that's not right."

How the **** does that clause get through a lawyer's breakfast?

fmd, as woodsie said "So you might be right, but we have subjectively determined that it doesn't really matter...and you have to pay all costs for being inconsiderate enough to make us all look like fools."

Even a kangaroo court would look at that and say "wow, that's not right."
Bloody ridiculous. The NRL are a law unto themselves.

We are over the cap because the NRL has said that some of the TPA's our players had were actually guaranteed by the club.
So although we weren't over the salary cap, the addition of these TPA's has put us over.

But we still aren’t over as we would have been docked points also. Even Greenberg himself said we are under the cap and not being docked points. So even if it’s a guarantee being added into the cap we are still under atm. That’s my understanding?

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8