Salary Cap Witch Hunt. **Appeal unsuccessful**

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

rmd

Reserve Grader
Tipping Member
Oh dear, Todd has charged Bozo with compliance to cheat and I am sure that is something Todd will regret for the rest of his life. I don’t think Bozo is the type of person to take this stuff lying down with aspersions against his integrity. I am certain serious legal stuff will happen soon. Taking on Politis (Joe Kelly) and the Penn’s and Bozo may not have been Greenberg’s best move. It’s akin to a chihuahua facing a pit bull! This will drag out and it’s likey to go to court for defamation.

I don’t get the statement of “ every club will be disappointed “
Every other club has be fined for salary cap breaches every year since the inception of the cap. Every club tries to take adavantage of TPA’s
It’s the fans of other clubs that will be diassapointed that are fully aware that every club rorts the cap and tpa’s but wish to ignore that fact cause it’s Manly’s Turn the be put in the spotlight
If the statement from club is to believed that they will appeal well and good
For me the muds already stuck , take it move on and win the comp that’s the only to stick it up all the haters

And it really annoyed me when he said every club has the right to be angry with us, it was like he was encouraging every club to be angry with us, that really P.......d me off

eaglebuzz

Bencher
The only thing we did that other clubs don't is get (maybe) caught.

It is SO obvious that the Storm, Roosters and Broncos are not on a level playing field with the cap. And yet here we are listening to Greenburg rattle off this BS.

At least the cap hits are actually smaller than what we had to deal with last year.

Leader of the Flock

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
What I find interesting is Greenberg's use of his words in the statement he read out, he said there's "compelling" evidence, he didn't say irrefutable, uncontestable or proven.

So, it sounds to me that if the club decides to continue the flight, that these allegations are open to challenge or that the NRL doesn't have the proof, just a belief.

Management/ owners, it's up to you, fight until the death(the Manly never surrender attitude) or give up like other clubs; which will it be?

Moops

Bencher

It is SO obvious that the Storm, Roosters and Broncos are not on a level playing field with the cap. And yet here we are listening to Greenburg rattle off this BS.

At least the cap hits are actually smaller than what we had to deal with last year.

How much clearer can the Roosters be that they are operating well below the salary cap? Our $800,000 cap space is chicken feed compared with how much the Roosters still have left to spend. Leave them out of this.

What I find interesting is Greenberg's use of his words in the statement he read out, he said there's "compelling" evidence, he didn't say irrefutable, uncontestable or proven.

So, it sounds to me that if the club decides to continue the flight, that these allegations are open to challenge or that the NRL doesn't have the proof, just a belief.

Management/ owners, it's up to you, fight until the death(the Manly never surrender attitude) or give up like other clubs; which will it be?
That's a fair point you make there. The word is not conclusive. "Compelling" is often used to describe evidence relating to things like the existence of aliens, bigfoot, UFOs, Atlantis, weapons of mass destruction and now salary cap breaches at Manly Sea Eagles. There is a clear pattern there and this should be tendered as part of our defence..

Moops

Bencher
Oh dear, Todd has charged Bozo with compliance to cheat and I am sure that is something Todd will regret for the rest of his life. I don’t think Bozo is the type of person to take this stuff lying down with aspersions against his integrity. I am certain serious legal stuff will happen soon. Taking on Politis (Joe Kelly) and the Penn’s and Bozo may not have been Greenberg’s best move. It’s akin to a chihuahua facing a pit bull! This will drag out and it’s likey to go to court for defamation.

Bozo will be stripped of his immortal status and it will be handed to Scam.

Kevinward777

First Grader

The continuing cap reductions will bite us, make no mistake about that. We were desperate to have Snake and Matai medically retired to ease cap pressure in coming years. Now wth another $660k it will hurt us a lot more than most people are making out.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The major point in any appeal is that in a court case it’s taken to a higher court ( usually ) and gets you more experienced judges.

In this case surely it’s appealing to the same people who will clearly say,

Um, well we’ve taken another look and um, well, not really so, um , well um...denied!!

Rodo

Goldmember
Tipping Member
I wonder if in the initial report where the media said that players from "several clubs have taken secret benefits or cash payments" actually referred to players who previously played for Manly and that no other clubs were thought to be directly doing this too.

Leader of the Flock

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Batty,

Yeah, you're right if they just appeal to the NRL. It'd be like what Sir Frank Packer said about America's Cup protests to the then holders and organisers of the America's Cup, the New York Yatch Club, "It's like protesting to your Mother-in-Law about your Wife".

But, if it's possible to take it further, which I believe would be the end game, then the NRL would have to prove the allegations, not just believe any allegation. That said I'm not legally qualified or totally familiar with any licence condition(s) the club has with the NRL that may preclude taking this further with a civil court.

I guess we'll all just to have to see what happens and how much fight is in the Penns or what their legal advice happens to be about a successful appeal.

Jatz Crackers

First Grader
Appealing is usually a different beast.

I am no expert, but to make an appeal it usually has to centre around a point of law. That can include procedural fairness (cough, splutter lol), technical error in reaching the judgement, penalty falls outside guidelines etc etc

Jatz Crackers

First Grader
Oh and the appeal goes to an independent panel chaired by Ian Cullinan QC who was previously a Justice of the High Court, so most definitely any appeal would be mounted on points of law.

Penns legal people would have known all of this from the outset and even had some inklings as to the points of appeal and how it would be handled.

Then again, I hold little faith in the High Court of Australia or the legal profession in general so...................

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Appealing is usually a different beast.

I am no expert, but to make an appeal it usually has to centre around a point of law. That can include procedural fairness (cough, splutter lol), technical error in reaching the judgement, penalty falls outside guidelines etc etc

Or “ Compelling Evidence “ as opposed to “ Conclusive Evidence”.

mave

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Penn will make his own mind up, no doubt.

But this bloke has to start realising that he is not only the owner, he is actually the custodian of 70 + years of history and culture.

Whatever he does, he needs to start getting it right for a change.

Team P W L PD Pts
15 12 3 113 28
14 10 4 118 24
15 10 5 77 24
15 9 6 161 20
15 8 7 64 20
14 8 6 60 20
15 7 7 28 19
15 7 8 21 18
15 8 7 -8 18
15 7 8 -47 18
14 7 7 -50 18