[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Des has lost the dressing room. Hoppa senior has made that clear. I don't think he's angry at his son getting picked. Clearly more going on as he's angry at the club not Des in particular. Hoppa Fainu Moses AFB etc.. they all linked ie mates etc. This reminds me of the Stewart's choc foran situation. They will all leave. Split in the camp clearly. Getting rid of Des won't fix it but it's a start.
What has hoppa senior been saying? Apologies as I've missed it..

I have always been a Des fan.. but reading some of the things on here lately are concerning....
My questions now are:
1. How long is Des still contracted for?
2. If he was to go, who would you replace him with? Not a lot of quality coaches around with all the other sackings (we missed out on macguire and his team is just as s***)

I always defended Des. I always thought he was a great coach, and an absolute asset - the main reason: whilst you can't win every year, I always knew a Hasler coached team would be tough, resilient, and DEFEND WELL, if nothing else.

These last 2 months have been more than testing, they have been un-friggin-believable! I remember last year after a couple of average performances, and a tight loss, Bellamy threatened to drop the majority of his players he was so filthy.

Des: I love you, BUT GET THIS **** SORTED QUICK SMART because this isn't the gold coast titans, there are no free lunches on the peninsula

I don’t want Des sacked. I still have a smidgen of faith that he’s working on a long term plan. But I’m afraid that he is just going to name the same team next week and the week after next, and send them out with the same conservative game plan. I’d like to see him try all the players (even T Rex) and give them their heads for the rest of the year. Let let them show what they’ve got and what they can contribute, and build attacking structures and game plans around them.

If the Hoppas want to move on, then so be it.
No-one is bigger than the club.

If Manase wants to side with them, after the support the club has given to him, the he can jog on too.

And so can any other gangster player who wants out.

The Blacktown partnership is potentially proving more trouble than it is worth.

Hoppa is well liked in the playing group. Players are frustrated with Dez. Faniu wasn't the only one that liked it, so did Sipley, AFB
Yeh. Sad as it is and much as we try to laugh it of, I suspect your right. Maybe the players Des has now aren’t responding well to his ‘flog um till they drop’ training methods. Not everybody appreciates running the dunes till your get carted home in an ambulance. Maybe he’s taken a stance against gang culture in the club and some of the boys are more aligned to street culture than club culture. Who knows.

May have posted this in the wrong thread, so will copy and paste it here:

Hate to say it, but in the presser after the game, Des looked as lost and clueless as Barrett usually did. A few years back I would have had confidence that Des would be able to turn a situation like this around. Now, I'm not so sure.

Surely a lot of the problem has to do with having so much talent sitting on the sidelines - and not just Tom. The loss of Fainu on the field has been awful, but it may be putting a strain on the playing group off the field as well. Think about how serious the charges he is facing are. And all he, and his mates at the club, can do is sit on their hands and wait.

St George went into a freefall after De Belin was charged and suspended. And the "no-fault" stand-down policy of the NRL just makes everything worse. I don't think it's a coincidence that we're struggling as well.

Well ... here we go again ...

Kept telling the numbnuts during '18 when y'all wanted to blame Barrett for everything from the taste of the gatorade to the cut of the shorts .... that 20 things have to go right for a successful year .... and only about 2 things go wrong for a cluster **** ....

If 18 year olds that have never played above under 16's level and their congenitally stupid father can garner support and a rumoured dressing room insurrection .....

Then all coaches are heading towards destination screwed ....

Well ... here we go again ...

Kept telling the numbnuts during '18 when y'all wanted to blame Barrett for everything from the taste of the gatorade to the cut of the shorts .... that 20 things have to go right for a successful year .... and only about 2 things go wrong for a cluster **** ....

If 18 year olds that have never played above under 16's level and their congenitally stupid father can garner support and a rumoured dressing room insurrection .....

Then all coaches are heading towards destination screwed ....
Problem is @Woodsie that NOBODY can understand how that kid has not been given a shot in this weak a** squad that keeps losing - including the kid and his teammates apparently...
...THAT demonstrates a problem in communication between the players and the coaching group... not having a well articulated plan leads to mutiny...

Hope this mutiny isnt as bad as the last one when the players burnt the boat before they jumped into the water...

Problem is @Woodsie that NOBODY can understand how that kid has not been given a shot in this weak a** squad that keeps losing - including the kid and his teammates apparently...
...THAT demonstrates a problem in communication between the players and the coaching group... not having a well articulated plan leads to mutiny...

Hope this mutiny isnt as bad as the last one when the players burnt the boat before they jumped into the water...

Yeah .. but ... we haven't yet had it made clear .... that Hoppa isn't getting a run because Des is a numbnut ... or because Hoppa is a numbnut ....

The jury is still out ...

The Bulldogs are in the position they are in because of Des Haslers Coaching and Man management. Fact. Manly's current position/situation looks frighteningly similar to the condition he left the Bulldogs in. The Hasler way or the highway doesn't work anymore.

The Bellamy's/ Robinson's / (Dare I say the Bennetts) have that "Jack Gibson" factor about them and form a culture (Coaching/support staff) that ATTRACTS players to the Club, and on the back of that they encourage and give young players opportunity, and as well, drop incumbent players on performance and attitude.

The current Manly coaching / culture is extremely concerning. Opportunity and encouragement of youth + the ability to react to changes in the game are of paramount importance. Most (all?) teams have changed their style and adapted, yet we are plodding with a game plan that doesn't work. We have the forwards to do it, as stated repeatedly on this forum.

I think Hasler can play that "mentor" role. Quality Lieutenants to Hasler would assist. Tooves screams to mind. Most clubs now have 1 or 2 other frontline voices/contacts which gives players options, and the good Coaches listen to them. Robinson relies heavily on Fitzgibbon, Bennett has 2 Coaches under him and basically coordinates/Man managers the players.

Crunch time. The Club has 5 x games this year to change direction, and importantly, display and communicate a future that us fans can embrace, allow us to wear our jerseys with pride, and give the sponsors the product and return on investment they deserve. If this change doesn't happen within the next month, then a dark, doggie future awaits.

Last edited:
Its very dangerous territory for Manly if they get the Pac Islanders and Mormon faction seriously offside. Schuster is also a Pac islander. As mentioned Fainu another. Thing is these kids are outstanding talent and play well together. They were brought into the club by it seems young Fulton's group so they were encouraged to play for Manly with a promise. Somehow that promise is consistently being blocked in some form of bottle neck at the top. Has been happening for many years now.

Maybe Barrett has learned his lesson learning from and supporting a far more innovative coach in Cleary (another exiled Manly junior). I dont know what's happening at Manly and to Des. But his selection policy and neglect of his back line...also seen at the Dogs...and this inflexible attitude regarding up and comers, must stop.

Manly are setting up a dangerous pattern that may affect it for many many years to come. Everything was set up for a brave new world when Des arrived. Outstanding juniors, a top core of players, returned Manly tradition. I know injuries have cruelled us but Des is acting like Barrett...panicking, digging his heals in. He was great in the past, but its a brave new world requiring fresh players and ideas. You cant just expect the Trbojevic clan to be the only answer. There must be on ongoing flow of new talent. For example I know many want Foran to come but that symptomatic of the problem...looking for the past to save the future.

The game is for the young, for progressive ideas. What worked in yesteryear should stay in yesteryear. Manly needs to look to the future and where the game is heading, not trying to recast what it was. That never works

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8