[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

double hoops

First Grader
I'm looking for leadership from our club right now, where no player, no group of players, no coach is bigger than the club. Sure I want our leader to have the answers

So Tony Mestrov WTF!!! Will you be consulting the Churchie 7 or have you just further isolated them publically as insignificant? That your seeking to give any player more off field power right now just beggers belief.

Everywhere you look. Our once great clubs off field goverence is just poorer than a bloke wearing one thong.

Where the **** are you Scott (dropped the ball) PENN?

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Haslers defensive structures are horrific, 168 points against in the last 4 weeks to some mediocre attacking teams.

Club needs a change as it ain’t improving.
Defensive structures are important I agree. But the number one factor in defence is attitude. No matter the structure at some point the player has to want to make that tackle. Commit, hit and stick.

look at the the Fox Sports Lab Defence stats for Try Causes (TC) and line break causes (LBC) and see what you notice. Link below

Ryan

Journey Man
Removing Des now would be an absolute disaster IMO.

We are currently 10 weeks away from the start of the 2023 pre-season, and some want Des sacked immediately, which then leaves a CEO (who's 4 weeks into his role) to scramble and find a coach for 2023 onwards.

In that 10 weeks, we'll have to work out a plan, interview coaches, make a decision on the best applicant and then that coach has to do a mad dash to get his staff organised and ready to go for pre-season starting in early-mid November.

The rational decision is to start making tentative plans for the future i.e 2024 onwards on the off chance that we don't improve in 2023. Give ourselves the time to do things correctly so we don't have yet another Barrett situation because right now, there is fk all available in terms of coaches who are talented enough to deal with our sht heap of an organisation properly.

Okay, so forget accountability.

Then say anyone in a job for a short while doesn't have to make immediate decisions (like Ben Ikin did at The Broncos).

Don't search for coaches (despite people posting a possibility of many, many potential ones), because you're saying there aren't any?

Off chance we don't improve? We've lost Walker (most spark), Taupau (most metres), Davey (one of the hardest workers), Foran (our best half by miles), and acquired no-one to replace them, but you're saying "off chance" we don't improve.

We'll likely be heading into the season beating one team in the top 4 going on for a 3rd season. On the longest ever losing streak in the clubs history. But don't sack him, because there aren't better alternatives. A coach who sported the worst defensive record of ANY club bar ONE once over 20 games in the history of the game. A coach who's made the final twice in 5 years. A coach who's allowed his playing roster to fracture (something Bellamy, Bennett, Robinson & I say now Fitzgibbon) would NEVER allow.

Basically, your hope is to do exactly the same, and expect something different?

Ryan

Journey Man
Exactly who is running this club?

Are admin now working for the players?

No chance I want a bloke in DCE who thinks of himself before the club ALWAYS, a player who doesn't take ownership of his own form, a player who obviously lacks accountability, a bloke who just shrugs off form and losing in his pressers to be making key decisions for this club.

I'd be happy asking someone like Ben Kennedy at the time. A player who would NOT accept losing from himself, or anyone else around him, and we don't have that in the roster at ALL at the moment. Jake is close, but he's not the type to get up people who are letting everyone else down (he's more a rally-er) and that's not what this group needs anymore.

They need a Liam Martin, do as I do, or you're copping it type

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
No chance I want a bloke in DCE who thinks of himself before the club ALWAYS, a player who doesn't take ownership of his own form, a player who obviously lacks accountability, a bloke who just shrugs off form and losing in his pressers to be making key decisions for this club.

I'd be happy asking someone like Ben Kennedy at the time. A player who would NOT accept losing from himself, or anyone else around him, and we don't have that in the roster at ALL at the moment. Jake is close, but he's not the type to get up people who are letting everyone else down (he's more a rally-er) and that's not what this group needs anymore.

They need a Liam Martin, do as I do, or you're copping it type

Tom is the on-field leader we need... when he is on the field.

Ryan

Journey Man
Tom is the on-field leader we need... when he is on the field.

Too much disruption mate. He's never there. When you're choosing a captain , all these factors have to be taken into account. Never at training. Never on the field. These are massive factors. Another factor is he consistently puts rep footy above the club despite the club paying for him. He's been hanging around with DCE too long.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
We are all so keen to blame the “ Magnificent 7”, but I wonder if the split we are seeing is that Des or DCE ( or both ) have lost the dressing room ???

No I have ZERO inside information so it’s just a question !!

I'm not blaming the 7 ... anybody who thought that deliberately blindsiding them with an 11th hour decision to wear a gay pride jersey would have had a different outcome is window licking mental

.... anybody that thinks the same thing would not have happened at the other 15 clubs is a crayon eater ...

... and anybody that wishes to dismiss .. (yes, even the misguided) .. beliefs of 50% of the NRL players and a big part of their supporter base is slack jawed, lip drooling simple minded .

It is simpler than that ... we are not a well coached side .. and when shiite struck .. we had no resilience .. we folded ...

Last edited:

Sheikheagle

First Grader
Tipping Member
Okay, so forget accountability.

Then say anyone in a job for a short while doesn't have to make immediate decisions (like Ben Ikin did at The Broncos).

Don't search for coaches (despite people posting a possibility of many, many potential ones), because you're saying there aren't any?

Off chance we don't improve? We've lost Walker (most spark), Taupau (most metres), Davey (one of the hardest workers), Foran (our best half by miles), and acquired no-one to replace them, but you're saying "off chance" we don't improve.

We'll likely be heading into the season beating one team in the top 4 going on for a 3rd season. On the longest ever losing streak in the clubs history. But don't sack him, because there aren't better alternatives. A coach who sported the worst defensive record of ANY club bar ONE once over 20 games in the history of the game. A coach who's made the final twice in 5 years. A coach who's allowed his playing roster to fracture (something Bellamy, Bennett, Robinson & I say now Fitzgibbon) would NEVER allow.

Basically, your hope is to do exactly the same, and expect something different?

FMD I am starting to agree with you. I think I need a lie down. First time in my life I am embarrassed about supporting Manly. 🤦

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I'm not blaming the 7 ... anybody who thought that deliberately blindsiding them with an 11th hour decision to wear a gay pride jersey would have had a different outcome is wind licking mental

.... anybody that thinks the same thing would not have happened at the other 15 clubs is a crayon eater ...

... and anybody that wishes to dismiss .. (yes, even the misguided) .. beliefs of 50% of the NRL players and a big part of their supporter base is slack jawed, lip drooling simple minded .

It is simpler than that ... we are not a well coached side .. and when shiite struck .. we had no resilience .. we folded ...
Ah yes , which gets back to my question above , has Des or DCE ( or both ) lost the dressing room ????

Because if they have it doesn’t matter who we recruit we are royally ****ed regardless.

Frogz

Bencher
Premium Member
How many players has Des turned into superstars in recent years????...Even Jakes game has gone backwards under Des......He certainly is no Bellamy/Melbourne who can spit them out one after another.

Darknstormy

Reserve Grader
We are all so keen to blame the “ Magnificent 7”, but I wonder if the split we are seeing is that Des or DCE ( or both ) have lost the dressing room ???

Exactly…if you were in a team that paid big money for a stale playmaker that constantly fails in providing you consistent effective ball to help promote and grow your game would you want to stay

ManEagle

Just a Man and his Eagle

I am not a DCE basher,but it looks to me he has lost the teams respect. He just doesn't get the onfield response from them that he should.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
I am not a DCE basher,but it looks to me he has lost the teams respect. He just doesn't get the onfield response from them that he should.

Maybe you're right. But in my opinion he puts his all into his game and the figures show how valuable he is. OK he makes mistakes and isnt a great ball player. But he is one player who can turn a game and his kicking game and defense is second to none among halves. But yes maybe the captaincy is just too much extra to handle

mave

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Maybe you're right. But in my opinion he puts his all into his game and the figures show how valuable he is. OK he makes mistakes and isnt a great ball player. But he is one player who can turn a game and his kicking game and defense is second to none among halves. But yes maybe the captaincy is just too much extra to handle

His defence is very good when he makes a tackle. His defensive reads are atrocious, and the constant rushing out of the line exposes everyone else.

Long kicking game is certainly quality.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
His defence is very good when he makes a tackle. His defensive reads are atrocious, and the constant rushing out of the line exposes everyone else.

Long kicking game is certainly quality.

The question should be why does he try so hard in defense. What is the rest of the team doing. Doesnt seem to have this problem in SOO. Could it be a lack of confidence in the defensive qualities of those around him?

mave

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The question should be why does he try so hard in defense. What is the rest of the team doing. Doesnt seem to have this problem in SOO. Could it be a lack of confidence in the defensive qualities of those around him?

Possibly.
It then comes back down to the coaching, if that is indeed the case, which I have my doubts about personally.

Andrew..

Bencher
Tipping Member
It would have been interesting to know who made the decision to extend DCE'S contract. He still had almost 2years to run at that stage and I would have thought it more prudent to wait and see. In my eyes it was another strange decision they may come back to bite us over the next few years.

KNUCKLES

Bencher
It would have been interesting to know who made the decision to extend DCE'S contract. He still had almost 2years to run at that stage and I would have thought it more prudent to wait and see. In my eyes it was another strange decision they may come back to bite us over the next few years.
Cherry has to be one of penns bunk buddies. There is no other explanation. The club have never disclosed the amount of the extension neither. I bet you he will still be on the mil mark at minimum. Leeches

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
DCE was extended because he is one of the two or three best halves in the comp. That's not just based on impressions, that's based on stats and the fact that he is the QLD SOO half and its a toss up with Cleary for the test matches coming up, despite Manly's poor form. The Supercoach measures also consistently have him high. It may be that from many perspectives that he is somehow responsible for Manly's fall. Best defensive half in the comp. Best kicker in the comp. Maybe he's not the overall ball player some want but without him, I suspect Manly, without Turbo would have struggled to avoid the spoon. Manly's problems are much more complex than how we perceive a single player.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18
14 7 7 -79 18