Sack Barrett

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Should we sack Trent

• Total voters
So ... for the 99th but I am guessing not the last time .... the only facts we have is that barrett, 6 months after signing an extension triggered the 12 month notice clause in his contract stating the reason as the clubs failure to provide the resources (staff) that were promised .....

Every other assertion, opinion, belief, scheme, plot, plan, reason and accusation and abuse are simply products of fertile imaginations and sore bums ...... and yes ..... if you attribute your opinion as a fact to Barretts actions ... and then abuse him for it ..... you are a Punchie ....

.... and it amuses me that several people have suggested I stop giving my view ...... given that my view always follows a new assertion by the same people ....
Woodsie... you now have a settled argument... but if you go back and re-read your posts over the last couple of months, you will find that your argument has evolved over time. Barrett certainly did refer to the sub standard facilities of the club... that’s a fact... I heard it with my own ears (several times) on Foxsports... coming out of his own mouth. So unless he’s a clone... then we can’t just pick and choose what to omit from an argument one week to the next. You yourself, have made reference to our poor facilities (scroll back and re-read your posts... as you have done before to others)I believe that Barrett drew the short straw and was trying to get an early payout... you don’t. At the end of the day... you have zero actual facts regarding the issue... nor do I. However, I think Barrett has failed as a coach... I come to this conclusion because of the facts associated with his coaching record. You are now posting it’s not about his coaching... but you didn’t begin with that stance. You posted that the players said he was a great coach... and we are just Punchie’s on a forum (which I agree, we all are).The stream lined argument that you have been presenting over the last couple of weeks, wasn’t always so lean... you’ve trimmed away a substantial amount of fat...

Last edited:
There is certainly a suggestion that as of July this year he he was led to believe he had the Panthers job. Which would explain the otherwise bizarre timing of his resignation notice. And also fits in with the 'no-one quits unless they have another job to go to' line.

You are correct SER8, There was the suggestion .... both Barrett and Gould came out quickly and both denied it ...... was it true .... ??? ..... point is we don't know therefore it is not a fact with which we can then construct conclusions on .....

... as to why someone quits before having another job ... ??? .... don't know but again it is only supposition but it is credable that Baz was naive enough to believe his resignation would cause Penn to provide the staff, or he believed worst case that he had 12 months in which to find other employment ......

We simply don't know and until the situation is resolved we wont know the truth ...

Last edited:
and 1700 years before Copernicus a Greek named Erastodenes (200 AD) not only knew the Earth was a sphere but measured the circumference to an accuracy of 6 miles ... he didn't just state it as an opinion, he proved it ..... but alas ..... the world preferred to ignore the facts and run with opinion .......

Sounds familiar .....
Interesting... I must look into that... I’d be very interested to learn how he came to that conclusion.

Interesting... I must look into that... I’d be very interested to learn how he came to that conclusion.

Ok .... you may like do use the modern spelling of his name Eratosthenes. (when Istudied him 50 years ago we spelt it differently) .... Simple .... all he needed to do it was 8th grade Angle Geometry .... a stick, a protractor ... and the knowledge that the suns rays were parallel ..... look it up on the webbie thing ......

edit .... here

Ok .... you may like do use the modern spelling of his name Eratosthenes. (when Istudied him 50 years ago we spelt it differently) .... Simple .... all he needed to do it was 8th grade Angle Geometry .... a stick, a protractor ... and the knowledge that the suns rays were parallel ..... look it up on the webbie thing ......

edit .... here

Thanks man... it’s funny... I’ve only recently found an interest in this stuff. Always good chewing the fat with you Woodsie... keep sparking up mate.

edit .... here

cool

My simple statement was not in defence of anyone. It was just a statement.

Are these things that you are not stupid enough to say on a forum related to the Trent/Penn situation? Why bother saying anything if you're not prepared to back it up with facts?? That's like me saying the earth is flat...trust me, I have it on good authority...but I'm not prepared to share...just trust me! To say there is a difference between TB playing a game and Penn playing a game confuses me.

In business....games are played all the time. Trust me, I play them often! Between rival businesses and mine, between staff and myself......

I believe Trent pulled the "I quit" card in a last ditch attempt to get the club to help him out. That bit him in the arse and that's just they way it goes sometimes. So long, Trent...hello, Des!

I'm not prepared to label a bloke useless or a self server without knowing all the facts. That's all.

I understand also that there is a great deal of difference in the coaching ability of Des and Trent. Well....their results and stats. But don't forget that with all that Des brings...he also brings some other issues. I think that down the track there will be conflict between Des and Penn if positive results aren't a regular occurance...based on Des and Penn's personalities.
I never said he’s useless. I have grown frustrated with his lack of accountability for the teams performances. I’ve warmed to the idea of des being back but I’m not a happy clapper about it. I don’t think it fixes everything.

Trent has seriously failings as a leader though and in my view has tried to paint a picture where it was a bunch of other stuff that caused problems. For all of des’s downsides players wouldn’t go against his wishes because they know who is boss. I think Trent became too chummy and lost the ability to provide discipline. On field performances then followed

Fact 1. Trent Barrett can't coach for Shi't
Fact 2. Trent Barrett gave up on his players 6 months ago.
Fact 3. Trent Barrett took on Penn and got his pants pulled down.
Fact 4. Trent Barrett needs to fark off.
Fact 5. This is just the opinion of a crazed manly supporter who heralds from the lineage of the great Eratosthenes.

I'm not roaming around .... I am right here ..... and I have never had an issue with people disagreeing with me ..... it is when they use an "opinion" to say I am wrong that I have a problem ..... if you want to prove me wrong all you need is one fact ....
Woodsie you wax lyrical and I enjoy debating with you but you go a bit over the top with the implication that people are stupid. The very stuff you don’t like me bringing up as @Kevinward777 has said you yourself have brought up before. Now I can go and quote them all if you like but it seems petty and stupid.

I also heard Barrett comment on facilities and complain about tables and chairs and a desk. These things didn’t come out of thin air. Tooves was even asked to comment about whether it was like that for him.

Another fact is that he did have that notice period put in his contract. You can call it really smart and if my allegiances were different I would acknowledge that it is. But I’ve never heard of anyone else putting it in their contract so for me personally if I was doing that in my own contract it’s cause I have one foot out the door. With quitting in September I have to give him credit it’s another smart move because he’s prob going to get a chunk of free money because you can’t have a coach leave mid year.

I guess the issue I have is that these things which came up as complaints this year; desk, chairs, cleaning a gym, facilities. They weren’t an issue last year. The only thing that changed is this year we lost a lot of games and Discipline went off the rails whereas last year we made finals.

That’s my two cents. I think he’s a good attacking coach. I don’t think he handled top dog well. I think players need more discipline on and off the field and in fairness if he gets another go he’ll prob improve. Just like Nathan brown did

I also heard Barrett comment on facilities and complain about tables and chairs and a desk. These things didn’t come out of thin air. Tooves was even asked to comment about whether it was like that for him.

Yes he did .... they were noted in Buzz's colume at the bottom after the main reasons of no reruitment manager, no head of Football, no salary cap manager, and a part time reggies coach and 3 other support staff not employed .... but yes he did also mention having to bring his own desk and chairs ... but a reasonable person would accept that he was giving an indication of the general state of affairs and not suggesting that they were the main issue ...... but you carry on and give that as his main reason .....

Another fact is that he did have that notice period put in his contract. You can call it really smart and if my allegiances were different I would acknowledge that it is. But I’ve never heard of anyone else putting it in their contract so for me personally if I was doing that in my own contract it’s cause I have one foot out the door. With quitting in September I have to give him credit it’s another smart move because he’s prob going to get a chunk of free money because you can’t have a coach leave mid year.

And again for the slow learners .... you have no idea whether that 12 month notice was put into the contract at Manly's insistence ..... your continued assertion that it was Barrett's sinister idea is childish ....

I guess the issue I have is that these things which came up as complaints this year; desk, chairs, cleaning a gym, facilities. They weren’t an issue last year. The only thing that changed is this year we lost a lot of games and Discipline went off the rails whereas last year we made finals.

And again .... Barrett has stated that he has no problem with the training facilities and enjoys training at Narrabeen ......

And again again ... what changed from 2017 to 2018 was that Bozo was the head of Football and was doing the recruitment and salary cap in 2017 ..... that is not a hard thing for even slow learners to grasp ...... he left before the Pearce cock up and those three postions were vacant and are still vacant ... but carry on ... tell me again hoe there was no change from 2017 ....

IMO Barrett is a casualty of the shell game Gus Gould has been playing for several years now.

I just googled articles from earlier this season where Gus flat out denied that Griffin's job was in jeopardy, in which he also denies that the intention was to replace Griffin with Barrett.

Add to that Gus declaring to the media that Barrett sought advice from him earlier this season & that he convinced him to see it out at Manly, followed soon after by Gus sacking Griffin & it doesn't take too much of a stretch of the imagination to see what was really going on.

No facts to present as evidence but several articles in which Gus blatantly lied indicate to me that the old expression of believing half of what you see & none of what you hear can be further extrapolated to suggest you could very well believe the exact opposite of what you see & hear in this situation.

And again again ... what changed from 2017 to 2018 was that Bozo was the head of Football and was doing the recruitment and salary cap in 2017 .. tell me again hoe there was no change from 2017 ....

The difference was Bozo wasn't coaching in 2018. He and Bozo fell out because barrett wanted to do it his way.

The proof is there for all to see how doing it his way turned out.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8