Saab

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm all for exploring those possibilities, mate. I mean, we aint winning no titles with the current mindset and player positions, so why the farrrk not?
Kinda think Koula would be electric at FB, Saab & Garrick reliable on the wing, Tom one Center > less stress on his body & proven match winner in that position (SOO), Tui could be our next Matai with his build & faster plus good defense. I dunno....what we have worked 2021 but this year is weird. I believe Suli is a bigger loss than what most admit. He's killing it at the Dragons....i guess you can't keep them all.

While Garrick and Koula are doing so well in their current positions, a change seems highly unlikely.

In saying that, and with Tom out, I would definitely like to see what Koula has in the 1 as his speed, acceleration, and footwork could really trouble a retreating defensive line.

For those seeking a permanent change, unfortunately, if Tom is fit, there is only one place he is going to play.

Kinda think Koula would be electric at FB, Saab & Garrick reliable on the wing, Tom one Center > less stress on his body & proven match winner in that position (SOO), Tui could be our next Matai with his build & faster plus good defense. I dunno....what we have worked 2021 but this year is weird. I believe Suli is a bigger loss than what most admit. He's killing it at the Dragons....i guess you can't keep them all.
yesss yesss yesss I'm in so much agreement to all of this

The stupidity of people who live in fear and look for safe options to not rock the boat. Dumb. It's not a jibe on Garrick who has done a fantastic job. It's about strengthening the team overall. Some will argue (well, one actually) Koula is a 3/4 moving forward. I say, give him some time and opportunity at FB to see what he really has. We have Tommy Tissue there now (though ironically, not), but there is so much doubt around his durability we would be stupid to neglect this and rely on Garrick being our FB forever moving forward. If people think Garrick is a genuine FB moving forward then OK... keep the status quo. As great as he has been I don't see him ever matching the likes of a Tedesco or Turbo. With Koula, I (we) have no idea of what his ceiling is. All we have seen so far is scraps of him in the centre outside a crabbing DCE with zero opportunity. Give the kid a farrrrking crack, please.
Sorry not living in fear at all... being sensible and not depleting one position to bolster a position at the moment where Garrick is doing great. Maybe when Tom gets back there is a discussion then to put him in the centres and Koula back there - that is worth a punt but not a hope right now.

Sorry not living in fear at all... being sensible and not depleting one position to bolster a position at the moment where Garrick is doing great. Maybe when Tom gets back there is a discussion then to put him in the centres and Koula back there - that is worth a punt but not a hope right now.
What do you mean... "not depleting one position to bolster another"??? What do you think putting Garrick at fullback is? Textbook example of what you're saying not to do. Not to mention Koula is an actual fullback. So, you've got both those players out of their natural positions and Saab struggling on the wing.

Saab definitely has improvement in his game but he also has something that can’t be coached. Marking against him means opposition coaches need to be wary of his speed and height meaning there should be areas of opportunity in other parts of the defensive line. Saab isn’t built like Manu Vatevai, I don’t agree all wingers need to run 200+ metres per game like To’o. I think we need to be playing to Saabs strengths and trying to find him space instead of expecting him to play like an additional forward. I don’t recall Scott Donald taking too many hit ups

Saab definitely has improvement in his game but he also has something that can’t be coached. Marking against him means opposition coaches need to be wary of his speed and height meaning there should be areas of opportunity in other parts of the defensive line. Saab isn’t built like Manu Vatevai, I don’t agree all wingers need to run 200+ metres per game like To’o. I think we need to be playing to Saabs strengths and trying to find him space instead of expecting him to play like an additional forward. I don’t recall Scott Donald taking too many hit ups
How many times did Scott Donald play in a final series? Probably a bad example

yesss yesss yesss I'm in so much agreement to all of this
Whilst Des is there you will never see him do this. All he has done is stifle the development of our team by not using the impressive youngsters we have (unless forced by injury).
His reign this time round has been an absolute failure - we only made the finals last year because of Turbo’s once in a generation year, nothing to do with the mad professer’s coaching.
Sorry but Des has been a total handbrake and you wonder why we haven’t beaten any of the top teams in the last 2 years !!!!

Saab definitely needs to work on a fair few areas of his game, however I agree we aren't a smart enough footy team to play to his strengths (e.g early kicks/ high kicks etc).... similarly to how dce uses olokautu!

Speed is a great asset, but it needs to be the icing on the cake that makes you go from a good footballer to a very good footballer. Currently it's the only asset that is keeping Saab in the good footballer category. If we were at full strength and knowing what we know now about what Tippytoes brings to the team, who here is picking Saab over him ??

Speed is a great asset, but it needs to be the icing on the cake that makes you go from a good footballer to a very good footballer. Currently it's the only asset that is keeping Saab in the good footballer category. If we were at full strength and knowing what we know now about what Tippytoes brings to the team, who here is picking Saab over him ??

I agree.

For Saab to develop, he not only needs to put on a bit of muscle, but he needs coaching in tackling and attacking the line.

The last play of the night on Friday saw him make up brilliant ground from the other side of the field, only to fall off the tackle at the last second. This is a tackle Turbo would have made to save the game, however I believe Saab can do the same with tuition and more experience.

He is often rag-dolled when he catches a bomb. Under those circumstances he has to learn how to hit the turf instantly. If he does have room to move he is hitting the line meekly - he does not read the opposing line, looking for the smallest defender, just run into the man in front of him. Again experience required.

By the same token, he should not be required to hit up at the start of a new set. He is not built for that and Des has to give him a bit of leeway in this regard.

This guy has attributes most wingers would die for; let's improve his deficiencies and not throw him out as a scapegoat.

Know Manly is missing Turbo but Saab seems to be getting much less attacking opportunities this season [ missed quite a few games too but still noticeable ] Sure that he can improve on some aspects of his game although hope it is not too drawn out . Showed some better hit up technique last Friday night , can be good in the air but his timing there can do with a bit of attention as well . Reads in defence , well again will hopefully become more attuned there as well . More positives then negatives and guess the negatives can be improved upon with the right approach but again hope that it sooner rather then latter . Probably the quickest winger that Manly has ever had and that has to count for something

What do you mean... "not depleting one position to bolster another"??? What do you think putting Garrick at fullback is? Textbook example of what you're saying not to do. Not to mention Koula is an actual fullback. So, you've got both those players out of their natural positions and Saab struggling on the wing.
um.... you and others on here think that playing fullback is all about attack. The attack is the easy part... the defensive workload and ability to coordinate the defense is a much more complicated and difficult challenge. Sorry but anyway mate - you can keep banging on about this but while Garrick is fit... it wont be happening.

um.... you and others on here think that playing fullback is all about attack. The attack is the easy part... the defensive workload and ability to coordinate the defense is a much more complicated and difficult challenge. Sorry but anyway mate - you can keep banging on about this but while Garrick is fit... it wont be happening.
I'm well aware of the defensive, as well as attacking challenges of the position. I certainly wasn't advocating Koula for fullback based soley on attacking potential. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am happy for Koula to be given leeway in the position while he goes through his inevitable learning curve. He aint improving his craft out of position. And as I have also noted, Koula has been impressive defensively during his short first grade stint. He has been much better than I expected. Granted it's a very different position and different challenge. Nevertheless, I would be happy to see Des give him the opportunity. It's not like we're taking out the premiership this season. Let's build for the longer term? Anyway, all good. I get where you're coming from and see the positives and negatives on both sides. Cheers!

I'm well aware of the defensive, as well as attacking challenges of the position. I certainly wasn't advocating Koula for fullback based soley on attacking potential. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am happy for Koula to be given leeway in the position while he goes through his inevitable learning curve. He aint improving his craft out of position. And as I have also noted, Koula has been impressive defensively during his short first grade stint. He has been much better than I expected. Granted it's a very different position and different challenge. Nevertheless, I would be happy to see Des give him the opportunity. It's not like we're taking out the premiership this season. Let's build for the longer term? Anyway, all good. I get where you're coming from and see the positives and negatives on both sides. Cheers!
I still think we make the 8 with the side as it is... although if DCE was injured I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Let's build for the longer term?
The problem is that Des's continued tenure as coach may depend on qualifying for finals. If this is the case, he may be more intent on results now rather building for the future. At least Koula was selected as fullback earlier in the year before succumbing to injury or illness.

I don't like bagging our players but if anyone can tell me what Jason (currently) has besides speed and height, I'd love to hear it.

He's not evasive with defenders in front of him.
He doesn't have strong carries out of defence.
He doesn't have good one on one defence.

He had a great year last year because Tommy was skipping to the outside and putting him away.

He better start showing something soon because at the moment he's just filling a jersey.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4