Saab

Bencher
Premium Member
Know Manly is missing Turbo but Saab seems to be getting much less attacking opportunities this season [ missed quite a few games too but still noticeable ] Sure that he can improve on some aspects of his game although hope it is not too drawn out . Showed some better hit up technique last Friday night , can be good in the air but his timing there can do with a bit of attention as well . Reads in defence , well again will hopefully become more attuned there as well . More positives then negatives and guess the negatives can be improved upon with the right approach but again hope that it sooner rather then latter . Probably the quickest winger that Manly has ever had and that has to count for something

What do you mean... "not depleting one position to bolster another"??? What do you think putting Garrick at fullback is? Textbook example of what you're saying not to do. Not to mention Koula is an actual fullback. So, you've got both those players out of their natural positions and Saab struggling on the wing.
um.... you and others on here think that playing fullback is all about attack. The attack is the easy part... the defensive workload and ability to coordinate the defense is a much more complicated and difficult challenge. Sorry but anyway mate - you can keep banging on about this but while Garrick is fit... it wont be happening.

First Grader
um.... you and others on here think that playing fullback is all about attack. The attack is the easy part... the defensive workload and ability to coordinate the defense is a much more complicated and difficult challenge. Sorry but anyway mate - you can keep banging on about this but while Garrick is fit... it wont be happening.
I'm well aware of the defensive, as well as attacking challenges of the position. I certainly wasn't advocating Koula for fullback based soley on attacking potential. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am happy for Koula to be given leeway in the position while he goes through his inevitable learning curve. He aint improving his craft out of position. And as I have also noted, Koula has been impressive defensively during his short first grade stint. He has been much better than I expected. Granted it's a very different position and different challenge. Nevertheless, I would be happy to see Des give him the opportunity. It's not like we're taking out the premiership this season. Let's build for the longer term? Anyway, all good. I get where you're coming from and see the positives and negatives on both sides. Cheers!

I'm well aware of the defensive, as well as attacking challenges of the position. I certainly wasn't advocating Koula for fullback based soley on attacking potential. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am happy for Koula to be given leeway in the position while he goes through his inevitable learning curve. He aint improving his craft out of position. And as I have also noted, Koula has been impressive defensively during his short first grade stint. He has been much better than I expected. Granted it's a very different position and different challenge. Nevertheless, I would be happy to see Des give him the opportunity. It's not like we're taking out the premiership this season. Let's build for the longer term? Anyway, all good. I get where you're coming from and see the positives and negatives on both sides. Cheers!
I still think we make the 8 with the side as it is... although if DCE was injured I wouldn't be overly concerned.

It's only a game ....
Let's build for the longer term?
The problem is that Des's continued tenure as coach may depend on qualifying for finals. If this is the case, he may be more intent on results now rather building for the future. At least Koula was selected as fullback earlier in the year before succumbing to injury or illness.

Bencher
Premium Member
I don't like bagging our players but if anyone can tell me what Jason (currently) has besides speed and height, I'd love to hear it.

He's not evasive with defenders in front of him.
He doesn't have strong carries out of defence.
He doesn't have good one on one defence.

He had a great year last year because Tommy was skipping to the outside and putting him away.

He better start showing something soon because at the moment he's just filling a jersey.

Journey Man
Sad, I love Saab, but that was possibly the worst game I've ever seen him play in the maroon and white. Secondly, why aren't the players on alert for the 3rd or 4th short kick? That's just pure laziness and not caring.

Sad, I love Saab, but that was possibly the worst game I've ever seen him play in the maroon and white. Secondly, why aren't the players on alert for the 3rd or 4th short kick? That's just pure laziness and not caring.

Agree Saab was not afforded any protection whatsoever.

Team P W L PD Pts
15 14 1 298 28
14 11 3 209 24
15 11 4 181 22
14 9 5 68 20
14 9 5 57 20
14 9 5 36 20
14 7 7 21 16
14 7 7 -72 16
15 7 8 29 14
15 7 8 -4 14
15 7 8 -39 14