Saab

Bencher
I don't see any upside messing with the development of Koula as a centre. The kids long term future is as a 3/4 in our side.
If as a short term fix in a season where we aren't going to do much you move him you are only affecting him for next year.

Koula will be devastating next year with almost a full season in the 3/4 position.

As mentioned earlier Garrick was a hot pile of poo in his second season. He was screamed at on here who demanded he be shipped out . Those struggles have made him into a much better NRL player now.

Same will happen for Saab.
Makes me giggle a bit… people blaming Saab for our loss.

First Grader
Premium Member
Go Dark Helmet GIF

I don't see any upside messing with the development of Koula as a centre. The kids long term future is as a 3/4 in our side.
If as a short term fix in a season where we aren't going to do much you move him you are only affecting him for next year.

Koula will be devastating next year with almost a full season in the 3/4 position.

As mentioned earlier Garrick was a hot pile of poo in his second season. He was screamed at on here who demanded he be shipped out . Those struggles have made him into a much better NRL player now.

Same will happen for Saab.
yes any talk of moving safe as houses Garrick from fullback is crazy talk. Yes he still has some things to learn and he needs to attack every bomb himself if he is in the area but he is another footballers footballer. All effort and high quality. The chances of moving Koula back there while Garrick is fit is absolutely nil... and there is absolutely no need to. Garrick is no Tom but he is generally doing a superb job.

In for the long haul.
Premium Member
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tommy does all the things Saab is lacking in. Given his salary and his current contribution to the team, I wonder if he couldn't be his personal coach for a bit?

KT 623
Premium Member
Ever since Tommy's been gone, Saab hasn't risen to any great heights, and is now basically been made redundant. And it's going to stay this way for the remainder of the season. It's hard to carry a player who gives away so many errors in a game, surely Las Vegas is now breathing down his neck now.
Ray-Rays rearing to go. But Des will run with predictable Jorge if it comes to that.

Last edited:
First Grader
yes any talk of moving safe as houses Garrick from fullback is crazy talk. Yes he still has some things to learn and he needs to attack every bomb himself if he is in the area but he is another footballers footballer. All effort and high quality. The chances of moving Koula back there while Garrick is fit is absolutely nil... and there is absolutely no need to. Garrick is no Tom but he is generally doing a superb job.
The stupidity of people who live in fear and look for safe options to not rock the boat. Dumb. It's not a jibe on Garrick who has done a fantastic job. It's about strengthening the team overall. Some will argue (well, one actually) Koula is a 3/4 moving forward. I say, give him some time and opportunity at FB to see what he really has. We have Tommy Tissue there now (though ironically, not), but there is so much doubt around his durability we would be stupid to neglect this and rely on Garrick being our FB forever moving forward. If people think Garrick is a genuine FB moving forward then OK... keep the status quo. As great as he has been I don't see him ever matching the likes of a Tedesco or Turbo. With Koula, I (we) have no idea of what his ceiling is. All we have seen so far is scraps of him in the centre outside a crabbing DCE with zero opportunity. Give the kid a farrrrking crack, please.

Bencher
The stupidity of people who live in fear and look for safe options to not rock the boat. Dumb. It's not a jibe on Garrick who has done a fantastic job. It's about strengthening the team overall. Some will argue (well, one actually) Koula is a 3/4 moving forward. I say, give him some time and opportunity at FB to see what he really has. We have Tommy Tissue there now (though ironically, not), but there is so much doubt around his durability we would be stupid to neglect this and rely on Garrick being our FB forever moving forward. If people think Garrick is a genuine FB moving forward then OK... keep the status quo. As great as he has been I don't see him ever matching the likes of a Tedesco or Turbo. With Koula, I (we) have no idea of what his ceiling is. All we have seen so far is scraps of him in the centre outside a crabbing DCE with zero opportunity. Give the kid a farrrrking crack, please.
Does make sense mate.......wonder how this would work:-
Coca Koula
Saab
Trbo
Tuipulotu
Garrick

First Grader
Does make sense mate.......wonder how this would work:-
Coca Koula
Saab
Trbo
Tuipulotu
Garrick
I'm all for exploring those possibilities, mate. I mean, we aint winning no titles with the current mindset and player positions, so why the farrrk not?

Bencher
I'm all for exploring those possibilities, mate. I mean, we aint winning no titles with the current mindset and player positions, so why the farrrk not?
Kinda think Koula would be electric at FB, Saab & Garrick reliable on the wing, Tom one Center > less stress on his body & proven match winner in that position (SOO), Tui could be our next Matai with his build & faster plus good defense. I dunno....what we have worked 2021 but this year is weird. I believe Suli is a bigger loss than what most admit. He's killing it at the Dragons....i guess you can't keep them all.

Bencher
While Garrick and Koula are doing so well in their current positions, a change seems highly unlikely.

In saying that, and with Tom out, I would definitely like to see what Koula has in the 1 as his speed, acceleration, and footwork could really trouble a retreating defensive line.

For those seeking a permanent change, unfortunately, if Tom is fit, there is only one place he is going to play.

First Grader
Kinda think Koula would be electric at FB, Saab & Garrick reliable on the wing, Tom one Center > less stress on his body & proven match winner in that position (SOO), Tui could be our next Matai with his build & faster plus good defense. I dunno....what we have worked 2021 but this year is weird. I believe Suli is a bigger loss than what most admit. He's killing it at the Dragons....i guess you can't keep them all.
yesss yesss yesss I'm in so much agreement to all of this

Sorry not living in fear at all... being sensible and not depleting one position to bolster a position at the moment where Garrick is doing great. Maybe when Tom gets back there is a discussion then to put him in the centres and Koula back there - that is worth a punt but not a hope right now.

First Grader
Sorry not living in fear at all... being sensible and not depleting one position to bolster a position at the moment where Garrick is doing great. Maybe when Tom gets back there is a discussion then to put him in the centres and Koula back there - that is worth a punt but not a hope right now.
What do you mean... "not depleting one position to bolster another"??? What do you think putting Garrick at fullback is? Textbook example of what you're saying not to do. Not to mention Koula is an actual fullback. So, you've got both those players out of their natural positions and Saab struggling on the wing.

Reserve Grader
Saab definitely has improvement in his game but he also has something that can’t be coached. Marking against him means opposition coaches need to be wary of his speed and height meaning there should be areas of opportunity in other parts of the defensive line. Saab isn’t built like Manu Vatevai, I don’t agree all wingers need to run 200+ metres per game like To’o. I think we need to be playing to Saabs strengths and trying to find him space instead of expecting him to play like an additional forward. I don’t recall Scott Donald taking too many hit ups

Bencher
Saab definitely has improvement in his game but he also has something that can’t be coached. Marking against him means opposition coaches need to be wary of his speed and height meaning there should be areas of opportunity in other parts of the defensive line. Saab isn’t built like Manu Vatevai, I don’t agree all wingers need to run 200+ metres per game like To’o. I think we need to be playing to Saabs strengths and trying to find him space instead of expecting him to play like an additional forward. I don’t recall Scott Donald taking too many hit ups
How many times did Scott Donald play in a final series? Probably a bad example

Reserve Grader
yesss yesss yesss I'm in so much agreement to all of this
Whilst Des is there you will never see him do this. All he has done is stifle the development of our team by not using the impressive youngsters we have (unless forced by injury).
His reign this time round has been an absolute failure - we only made the finals last year because of Turbo’s once in a generation year, nothing to do with the mad professer’s coaching.
Sorry but Des has been a total handbrake and you wonder why we haven’t beaten any of the top teams in the last 2 years !!!!

Reserve Grader
Saab definitely needs to work on a fair few areas of his game, however I agree we aren't a smart enough footy team to play to his strengths (e.g early kicks/ high kicks etc).... similarly to how dce uses olokautu!

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Speed is a great asset, but it needs to be the icing on the cake that makes you go from a good footballer to a very good footballer. Currently it's the only asset that is keeping Saab in the good footballer category. If we were at full strength and knowing what we know now about what Tippytoes brings to the team, who here is picking Saab over him ??

Speed is a great asset, but it needs to be the icing on the cake that makes you go from a good footballer to a very good footballer. Currently it's the only asset that is keeping Saab in the good footballer category. If we were at full strength and knowing what we know now about what Tippytoes brings to the team, who here is picking Saab over him ??

I agree.

For Saab to develop, he not only needs to put on a bit of muscle, but he needs coaching in tackling and attacking the line.

The last play of the night on Friday saw him make up brilliant ground from the other side of the field, only to fall off the tackle at the last second. This is a tackle Turbo would have made to save the game, however I believe Saab can do the same with tuition and more experience.

He is often rag-dolled when he catches a bomb. Under those circumstances he has to learn how to hit the turf instantly. If he does have room to move he is hitting the line meekly - he does not read the opposing line, looking for the smallest defender, just run into the man in front of him. Again experience required.

By the same token, he should not be required to hit up at the start of a new set. He is not built for that and Des has to give him a bit of leeway in this regard.

This guy has attributes most wingers would die for; let's improve his deficiencies and not throw him out as a scapegoat.

Team P W L PD Pts
15 14 1 298 28
14 11 3 209 24
15 11 4 181 22
14 9 5 68 20
14 9 5 57 20
14 9 5 36 20
14 7 7 21 16
14 7 7 -72 16
15 7 8 29 14
15 7 8 -4 14
15 7 8 -39 14