Round 18, 2018. Melbourne pregame discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Manly Daily July 11, 2018

Dylan ready to walk a back into a Storm

Jon Geddes

image.ashx

Dylan Walker at Sea Eagles training. Picture: Toby Zerna

THE Sea Eagles yesterday named five-eighth Dylan Walker in their side to play the Storm on Saturday evening, setting up an explosive showdown against their bitter foes at Lottoland.

Walker had been considered a doubtful starter for the game after suffering a knee injury in his side’s 18-10 win over the Panthers last start.

The two teams had a fiery encounter back on May 19 at AAMI Park when Walker ended up with a fractured eye socket after being punched by Melbourne centre Curtis Scott in reaction to Walker sledging him.

Walker subsequently said he would not be toning down his on-field banter and coach Trent Barrett didn’t want him to.

And Walker’s presence will give the Manly side a big lift for Saturday’s game.

“I see him, I hear him, he is still yelling out s … from the sideline,” team-mate Joel Thompson laughed.

“He’s a competitor he is a goer, he digs deep, he’s got a big heart. He never gives up and that is the sort of attitude we need from one to 17.”

And Saturday’s game will be a massive test.

“These are the type of games you don’t need to build up too much talking about it,” Thompson said.

“We just need to focus on the game we need to bring and what we need to bring as individuals.

“We still have a long way to go, we’ve been battling this year.”

He said the team had a good win against Penrith and must now build on that.

“That’s the standard, we need to go from there and not drop below that,” he said,

Sea Eagles team: 1 T Trbojevic, 2 M Wright, 3 M Suli, 4 B Kelly, 5 B Parker, 6 D Walker, 7 D Cherry-Evans (c), 8 A Fonua-Blake, 9 M Fainu, 10 M Taupau, 11 J Thompson, 12 S Lane, 13 JTrbojevic. Interchange: 14 T Hodkinson, 15 K Tanginoa, 16 F Winterstein 17 T Paseka

Tom Wright misses out again! J Taufua not selected? M Wright, B Parker preferred? Winterstein, Lane instead of Sipley.............I'm definitely in agreement with Strone right now. Barrett has NFI. I'm prepared to say young Tom Wright will request a release from the final year of his contract & score a 1st Grade position elsewhere at which time he will shine just like another youngster in Kalyn Ponga is now shining. Trent Barrett is a poor excuse for a 1st Grade coach. If this guy doesn't start showing some faith in our younger players & give them an opportunity i wouldn't blame them for leaving. Every week i expect something new, something exciting in our team selections & every week is a fu%&ing letdown!

Og he's showing some faith in the younger players. Just the wrong ones.

Good point. I remember a time when we had Sunshine Coast as our feeder club and man that paid dividends. Since then, we've been forced back to overcrowded NSW while Melbourne keep their feeder going in QLD.

If Melbourne actually had to rely on the Victorian state league as their junior area, they'd be wooden spooners just about every year (not that I would care, they can have that). But having an unsuccessful team in the heart of AFL territory goes against everything that the league wants so they get a leg up by having areas of Qld and teams in the Qld Cup as feeder clubs.

If Melbourne actually had to rely on the Victorian state league as their junior area, they'd be wooden spooners just about every year (not that I would care, they can have that). But having an unsuccessful team in the heart of AFL territory goes against everything that the league wants so they get a leg up by having areas of Qld and teams in the Qld Cup as feeder clubs.

Really all they really are is a 4th Queensland side domiciled in Victoria.

All the players ( well most) are from there , or NZ, all the staff are from QLD, and their feeder clubs are in QLD.

Even after all these years they are largely irrelevant in Melbourne, outside of their supporter base ( mostly Kiwi’s).

BUT the NRL remain infatuated with them and the concept of a side in the heart of AFL land!!

I think Melbourne have had a total of 2 Victorian kids come through and actually play first grade with them. And there were a couple of kids with Pacific island background from memory.

2......in 20 years.

You'd think they would be doing a hell of a lot more to help the local system get stronger so that they eventually wouldn't need Qld. Not a lot of forward planning there though, just make sure there is a strong team in Melbourne by hook or by crook and be done with it.

The worst thing that ever happened was South Melbourne moving to Sydney to become the Swans in 1982. Ever since then its been a turf war.....and I don't mean out at Rosehill.

Manly Daily July 11, 2018

Dylan ready to walk a back into a Storm

Jon Geddes

image.ashx

Dylan Walker at Sea Eagles training. Picture: Toby Zerna

THE Sea Eagles yesterday named five-eighth Dylan Walker in their side to play the Storm on Saturday evening, setting up an explosive showdown against their bitter foes at Lottoland.

Walker had been considered a doubtful starter for the game after suffering a knee injury in his side’s 18-10 win over the Panthers last start.

The two teams had a fiery encounter back on May 19 at AAMI Park when Walker ended up with a fractured eye socket after being punched by Melbourne centre Curtis Scott in reaction to Walker sledging him.

Walker subsequently said he would not be toning down his on-field banter and coach Trent Barrett didn’t want him to.

And Walker’s presence will give the Manly side a big lift for Saturday’s game.

“I see him, I hear him, he is still yelling out s … from the sideline,” team-mate Joel Thompson laughed.

“He’s a competitor he is a goer, he digs deep, he’s got a big heart. He never gives up and that is the sort of attitude we need from one to 17.”

And Saturday’s game will be a massive test.

“These are the type of games you don’t need to build up too much talking about it,” Thompson said.

“We just need to focus on the game we need to bring and what we need to bring as individuals.

“We still have a long way to go, we’ve been battling this year.”

He said the team had a good win against Penrith and must now build on that.

“That’s the standard, we need to go from there and not drop below that,” he said,

Sea Eagles team: 1 T Trbojevic, 2 M Wright, 3 M Suli, 4 B Kelly, 5 B Parker, 6 D Walker, 7 D Cherry-Evans (c), 8 A Fonua-Blake, 9 M Fainu, 10 M Taupau, 11 J Thompson, 12 S Lane, 13 JTrbojevic. Interchange: 14 T Hodkinson, 15 K Tanginoa, 16 F Winterstein 17 T Paseka
How is our rookey coach progressing ?
Barrett's back to the future selections

2016 May 22nd
Walker's No.6 experiment over: Barrett
Manly coach Trent Barrett admitted his star recruit had wilted under the pressure of playing in the halves over the opening 11 rounds and is hoping a move back to the centres will kickstart Walker's season.
|Asked whether he was likely to stick with Walker in the centres, Barrett said: "Yeah, I think so."

How is our rookey coach progressing ?
Barrett's back to the future selections

2016 May 22nd
Walker's No.6 experiment over: Barrett
Manly coach Trent Barrett admitted his star recruit had wilted under the pressure of playing in the halves over the opening 11 rounds and is hoping a move back to the centres will kickstart Walker's season.
|Asked whether he was likely to stick with Walker in the centres, Barrett said: "Yeah, I think so."
To be fair the current set up got us the wins against Brisbane, Melbourne and Penrith.

To be fair the current set up got us the wins against Brisbane, Melbourne and Penrith.
Perspective ....
Look at the ladder mate . Our season in over .
Get a vedio tape of those games and put up a poster of Trent and the current set up in your tv room and celebrate those rare wins over and over again because our team will have nothing to celebrate this year as we have been a complete failure .
To be fair .....
Mediocre is not Manly

Perspective ....
Look at the ladder mate . Our season in over .
Get a vedio tape of those games and put up a poster of Trent and the current set up in your tv room and celebrate those rare wins over and over again because our team will have nothing to celebrate this year as we have been a complete failure .
To be fair .....
Mediocre is not Manly
Mate you keep harping on about Baz and his negative selections but when he tries something else that, mind you, has won us 3 tough games this season he's still not enterprising enough?

While we're at it, why not play the entire U20s team at first grade?

Fair dinkum, Baz has made many mistakes in his career but playing Dylan Walker at 6 is not one of them.

Mate you keep harping on about Baz and his negative selections but when he tries something else that, mind you, has won us 3 tough games this season he's still not enterprising enough?

While we're at it, why not play the entire U20s team at first grade?

Fair dinkum, Baz has made many mistakes in his career but playing Dylan Walker at 6 is not one of them.
3 tough games does not make a season . 24 tough games does .
You have had your say and I have had mine and as they all say Look at the NRL ladder

3 tough games does not make a season . 24 tough games does .
You have had your say and I have had mine and as they all say Look at the NRL ladder
We were on top of the Cowboys last year. Did that get us any closer to a premiership?

@nrlphysio

Worry for Cameron Munster is broken finger, hopefully just a clean dislocation. If broken most require 4-6 weeks recovery, if clean dislocation could be back within the week #Origin

So what? The season has been a complete and utter disaster. Unless something changes dramatically in the last games of the season on a % win / loss basis this will be the 3rd worst season in our clubs 72 years and you are OK with that? We actually have to go back to our first two years 1947 and 1948 to find the only two seasons that were worse.

I wish my expectations were set that low, then I would have enjoyed this season.

Sack Barrett. Save Manly

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8