Round 18, 2018. Melbourne pregame discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Losing does suck.

I wonder how curtis scott will get treated by the crowd? The guy who broke Dylan's eye socket and only got 2 weeks.

Hopefully lots of boo's and sign that read :"Curtis Scott - It's how melbourne say coward punch."

Ok... so maybe just the boo's then.

Personally, the team I would name this week would be (all depending on how the boys come out of Origin):

FB - Tom Trbojevic
WG - Jorge Taufua (if not, Brad Parker)
CE - Dylan Walker
CE - Brian Kelly
WG - Moses Suli
FE - Trent Hodkinson
HB - Daly Cherry-Evans (c)
PR - Addin Fonua-Blake
HK - Manase Fainu
PR - Martin Taupau
SR - Joel Thompson
SR - Shaun Lane
LK - Jake Trbojevic

Bench - Tom Wright, Frank Winterstein, Taniela Paseka, Kelepi Tanginoa.

Tom Wright can cover anywhere in the backline (though I wouldn't start him, not against Melbourne) while Hodkinson can cover hooker.

Personally, the team I would name this week would be (all depending on how the boys come out of Origin):

FB - Tom Trbojevic
WG - Jorge Taufua (if not, Brad Parker)
CE - Dylan Walker
CE - Brian Kelly
WG - Moses Suli
FE - Trent Hodkinson
HB - Daly Cherry-Evans (c)
PR - Addin Fonua-Blake
HK - Manase Fainu
PR - Martin Taupau
SR - Joel Thompson
SR - Shaun Lane
LK - Jake Trbojevic

Bench - Tom Wright, Frank Winterstein, Taniela Paseka, Kelepi Tanginoa.

Tom Wright can cover anywhere in the backline (though I wouldn't start him, not against Melbourne) while Hodkinson can cover hooker.
If Trent goes with these selections the Storm will have a field day down our left edge for sure.
It won't matter that Joel is a solid enough defender the Storm will have him in a head spin with Hodko, Kelly and Suli outside him...Suli is wasted on the wing ,better right centre. (Outside Dce)
IMO it's a Better defensive lineup with Joel, Walkz, Kelly and TomW plus..! not to mention there added combined strike power
It looks like Trent won't play TWright in the halves so play him on the wing instead of Parker.
Although a few on here would like to see Hodko start I just can't see it.
The dilemma Trent might go through this particular week though ?..is second guessing whether to start Hodko ?..since he had a great second half against Panthers.
The wins we have had show he has been more effective off the bench so I doubt he would change that.

I guess we'll have to see which way Barrett goes. Though I will concede that the team I named is not likely to be the team named in about 8 hours time, nor will it be the team that lines up this Saturday at Brookie.

@Oracle , you're probably closer to the mark on that than I am. But I would like to see how DCE and Hodko go as a halves combo with a decent dummy half out there.

I guess we'll have to see which way Barrett goes. Though I will concede that the team I named is not likely to be the team named in about 8 hours time, nor will it be the team that lines up this Saturday at Brookie.

@Oracle , you're probably closer to the mark on that than I am. But I would like to see how DCE and Hodko go as a halves combo with a decent dummy half out there.

Whatever combo you come up with you will need to factor that Fainu is not yet an 80min rake .....that alone may mean Walker will say as 5/8 and Hodko #14

Just based on giving the side the best opportunity to be more competitive , Walker at 5 / 8 really has to be the better option in the short term at least . How to accommodate Tom Wright's obvious value to the i st grade side is a bit of a vexing question for the remainder of the season but will have to be part of the equation soon or into next year as i doubt that he will stay around after next season if he is just going to be used in a stop gap role as has been the case to date . Barrett would probably also be still inclined to include Parker in the short term and surely better Hodko on the bench . then there is Matt Wright 's situation . Anyway i hope and think that the sooner a more speed and attacking based back line grouping with Tom Wright , Suli and Anderson definitely as part of the mix , the more likelihood then of Manly having a very slick and formidable back line .

Just based on giving the side the best opportunity to be more competitive , Walker at 5 / 8 really has to be the better option in the short term at least . How to accommodate Tom Wright's obvious value to the i st grade side is a bit of a vexing question for the remainder of the season but will have to be part of the equation soon or into next year as i doubt that he will stay around after next season if he is just going to be used in a stop gap role as has been the case to date . Barrett would probably also be still inclined to include Parker in the short term and surely better Hodko on the bench . then there is Matt Wright 's situation . Anyway i hope and think that the sooner a more speed and attacking based back line grouping with Tom Wright , Suli and Anderson definitely as part of the mix , the more likelihood then of Manly having a very slick and formidable back line .
Tom T, J Taufua, D Walker, B Kelly, J Anderson, T Wright, DCE, AFB, A Koroisau, M Taupau, J Thompson, C Sironen, Jake T
Res: B Cartwright, K Tanginoa, T Paseka, M Suli..................

Tom T, J Taufua, D Walker, B Kelly, J Anderson, T Wright, DCE, AFB, A Koroisau, M Taupau, J Thompson, C Sironen, Jake T
Res: B Cartwright, K Tanginoa, T Paseka, M Suli..................
For me , Suli for Jorge , certainly some issues for Fainu at present but would still expect him available next season , with he and AP I interchanging as the 9 , surprised if Cartwright will be recruited , seem to be still short of a solid , good work rate prop or back rower . Paseka for sure, Tanga and even Frank O K , Sipley and Armone not really sure . Will miss Lane and will probably need someone similar to compensate .

Should do some crowd funding for Scott's lost wages - throw 50c pieces at the pr*ck..... Jesus, Toddy would love that tho, we'd be the Rottnest Island Sea-Gulls by Monday!!

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Coach Trent Barrett has named his side to take on the Melbourne Storm this Saturday at Lottoland.

1 Tom Trbojevic
2 Matthew Wright
3 Moses Suli
4 Brian Kelly
5 Brad Parker
6 Dylan Walker
7 Daly Cherry-Evans (c)
8 Addin Fonua-Blake
9 Manase Fainu
10 Martin Taupau
11 Joel Thompson
12 Shaun Lane
13 Jake Trbojevic

Interchange
14 Trent Hodkinson
15 Kelepi Tanginoa
16 Frank Winterstein
17 Taniela Paseka

Reserves
18 Jorge Taufua
19 Tom Wright
20 Tevita Funa
21 Toafofoa Sipley
22 Lloyd Perrett

Fainu is named, so the club is letting him play.

Interesting, Walker named at 6 and Jorge at 18. Must mean Walker is a definite, and Tafua needs to pass fitness. Wright must also be ok.

You would think Parker would drop off if Jorge is fit.

Horhay will have to come in if he proves fitness, otherwise that's probably the strongest side we can currently name. Fingers crossed everyone gets through Origin

Fainu is named, so the club is letting him play.

Interesting, Walker named at 6 and Jorge at 18. Must mean Walker is a definite, and Tafua needs to pass fitness. Wright must also be ok.

You would think Parker would drop off if Jorge is fit.
Last time around we had Matt Wright sit out with Parker on the wing. I think Baz will stick to the same.

Ryley jacks and Brody Croft both in reserves. How does bellamy do it, jeez he's good.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8