Realistically is 2019 a Top 8 Shot ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
We are a strike centre and a quality bench forward short of a top 6 side. We have 2 of the best props, the best lock, the Australian halfback and a star fullback. Thats the makings of a quality semi final team. I believe if we add another 2 decent players then all of a sudden our depth doesn't seem an issue.
We still have alot of "potentials" in suli sironen perrett paseka garrick waddell elgey etc. If a few of them can have break out years then we are definitely a top 8 side.

We are a strike centre and a quality bench forward short of a top 6 side. We have 2 of the best props, the best lock, the Australian halfback and a star fullback. Thats the makings of a quality semi final team. I believe if we add another 2 decent players then all of a sudden our depth doesn't seem an issue.
We still have alot of "potentials" in suli sironen perrett paseka garrick waddell elgey etc. If a few of them can have break out years then we are definitely a top 8 side.
Walker is in the top 5 centres also in my opinion. Only 2 seasons ago he was the best centre in the comp. Api is in the top 5 for hookers also. On paper we are looking very good with a lot of potential young gun gems in the squad like suli, elgey, hopoate, paseka and I’ll even chuck in sironen who has plenty of growth in him if he can last a whole season. Could be a top 4 side could miss the eight lol who knows anymore

I just see a player that stood out in his younger years due to his height and the openness of weak defenses allowed his top speed to run away from defensive lines in open space.

How does Turbo not stand out now against bigger men and better defenses. As for defense, what elite defensive fullback are you comparing him to, as for his passing game if he did realize how big he is and not pass as much, we would score more.. Crazy if you can not see a lot of improvement... WTF is a third corridor as well?

Top 8 is realistic for 16 teams, It is a close comp, some luck with injuries, a bit of momentum, anything can happen.

What did Souths do this year? 12th to 4th or something? Cowboys went from Grand Finalists to 13th or 14th etc

I didn't check those positions btw....if the off season, my footy brain is switched off

How does Turbo not stand out now against bigger men and better defenses. As for defense, what elite defensive fullback are you comparing him to, as for his passing game if he did realize how big he is and not pass as much, we would score more.. Crazy if you can not see a lot of improvement... WTF is a third corridor as well?
Outer third corridor is from the inside shoulder of the centre position all the way to the wing---most of Manly's go forward was in these areas(Matai,Watmough eating up yards territory)---well much more than other teams in that time.

Defensively he has been caught out of position and doesn't change direction well at the back, also low down on the try line his height is exposed when defending on the line.

Effort plays are improving though as Gould illustrated in a tv game during last season after the Origin period.

I'm saying in Tom's much lauded younger years his height and speed in space against poor defensive lines made him stand out, didn't really require smarts, foot work, line running or a change of speed to be an attacking danger.

Paseka was rubbish but the rest no doubt.
Jake turbo as well
Afb
Marty taupau
Api

Barrett was a good coach until his game plan was worked out then he couldn't come up with something new. Dud buys like trent hodkinson and letting blake green go killed us. Green was so good for us he really led the team around the park
Paseka was rubbish? Must of been watching a different young player as I saw a potential NRL starting prop! How many times must people be told, Green didn't want to stay at Manly for whatever contract. We had no choice.

Paseka was rubbish? Must of been watching a different young player as I saw a potential NRL starting prop! How many times must people be told, Green didn't want to stay at Manly for whatever contract. We had no choice.

Paseka was a machine before his injury. Proved me wrong as I said he was too slow and immobile in the lower grades, but he was the exact opposite. Okay, he didn't come back the player he was, but I'd expect a full off season will help.

Defensively he has been caught out of position and doesn't change direction well at the back, also low down on the try line his height is exposed when defending on the line

He is not the worst at picking a ball off of the ground. If that is such a fault though. His size at fullback is a major plus over a fullback like dufty who can't leap

Outer third corridor is from the inside shoulder of the centre position all the way to the wing---most of Manly's go forward was in these areas(Matai,Watmough eating up yards territory)---well much more than other teams in that time.

Didn't Watmough play up the middle mostly? As for third corridor never heard that term before. Was it something you heard Gould say?

2019 is a lottery ticket really. What I'm hoping for is a Manly side of old that is extremely difficult to score against and plays solid structured footy scoring points on the back of pressure. This will require hard work and self discipline and Des is capable of instilling that into the playing group. Fingers crossed.

Hmm the guy was soft and played with no heart. Sure hes big and can become something but last year he was average. Tangles was much better that guy is a beast. One on one with a halfback like trex used to do and he should score a couple. As for green didnt he want a 3 year deal and we only offered him 2?

Spot on mate . If you go through, Tom , Dce, Api ,Jake, Afb , Marty , and as you said throw in the likes of Siro , Paseka , Tanganoa we have the makings I think for a very good side . Just need to fill a couple of gaps and hopefully not Walkers.

Last edited:
Didn't Watmough play up the middle mostly? As for third corridor never heard that term before. Was it something you heard Gould say?
For large periods Watmough ran lines and yardage metres in the backline areas.

The Gould comment was meant to be a compliment and to illustrate what someone who is respected in the game noticed after Tom's Origin good performances.(zero to do with my analysis), showing his off the ball proactive effort plays, how you twisted that to be a negative is beyond me.

I didn't watch Origin have zero interest in it and don't rate the games, i've seen higher quality in the NRL. Back in the semi professional days of the ARL the standard of Origin over the ARL club season was a big step, the best NRL sides now would beat an Origin team more times than not due to the well drilled nature clubs are these days.

Tom's role in Origin by all accounts was far more different than what he has to do for his club, probably less to think about also---focused more on certain elements of the game he needed to excel at.

He is not the worst at picking a ball off of the ground. If that is such a fault though. His size at fullback is a major plus over a fullback like dufty who can't leap
Down low defense in relation to getting down low and stopping a try or holding a player up, i've see a few lazy efforts in that area.

His height is a benefit at Fullback----where have i said this isn't the case?

According to one lady on FB who saw Snake at the Illawarra Hawks vs Sydney Kings NBL game in Wollongong yesterday (she posted a pic of herself with him at the WIN Entertainment Centre).....he gave a bit of insight on what to expect in 2019.

• Des has no plans to move Turbo from fullback to the wing or centre, not for Hopoate or anyone else.
  • LG will be the 5/8 barring injury and Hodkinson will only be a backup and is likely to play most of 2019 at Blacktown.

Make of it what you will.

Tom's role in Origin by all accounts was far more different than what he has to do for his club, probably less to think about also---focused more on certain elements of the game he needed to excel at.

One thing that was obvious was that Fittler gave Turbo a licence to roam the field and utilise his running game. About the only time he had to stick to his wing was in defence. It worked because Tom was damn near the player of the series, and personally I think he should have won that instead of Tedesco.

As I've said in the past, its fine to play him on the wing or in the centres for NSW and Australia because there is quality right across the park. At Manly we don't have that option in the backline. He's best off being our fullback and with LG in the halves with DCE he can get back to just being a fullback and not have to try and be a play maker like he was forced to last year because we played pretty much the whole year with only one half.

According to one lady on FB who saw Snake at the Illawarra Hawks vs Sydney Kings NBL game in Wollongong yesterday (she posted a pic of herself with him at the WIN Entertainment Centre).....he gave a bit of insight on what to expect in 2019.

• Des has no plans to move Turbo from fullback to the wing or centre, not for Hopoate or anyone else.
  • LG will be the 5/8 barring injury and Hodkinson will only be a backup and is likely to play most of 2019 at Blacktown.

Make of it what you will.

Happy with all of that.

One thing about the Bullet, is he continuously changed his game with the times, and stayed ahead of the bell curve always. He had ex-factor, so would have been extremely difficult to coach against. You just wouldn't know where he was going to pop up. The guy had amazing hands, and was like another 1/2 at times, with his creating. If he can instill one drop of that into Turbo, lookout.

One area we need to improve is leadership, specifically on-field leadership. The Trent-can't-coach debate has been done to death but regardless of his failings he is not solely to blame for our string of weak showings. I'm a DCE fan but he needs to be a more assertive leader or else make way for someone who is.

Melbourne has provided a blueprint for over a decade: have the smartest players in the central positions maintaining the team's focus and organisation. And by smartest I certainly don't mean fastest or most elusive or most individually brilliant. In recent years we had Orford and later Foran playing that role with success.

The need for effective strong and footy-smart on-field leadership is even more critical when a team includes several players inexperienced at NRL level, which Manly has, and will again this year. I have some hope that Elgey can develop as an organiser for us. He was certainly outstanding as a rookie half before a confidence-sapping leg injury. Should be ready now to step up - if he's good enough.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10