Realistically is 2019 a Top 8 Shot ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Geez I thought turbo did ok for the blues and the kangaroos.
Must be a Freddy and Mal thing...

Tom is a good player already at the age of 22 and yes still will develop some ,it's just that i don't see big improvements left in him other than performing better behind a better improving squad.

Doesn't have football speed or a change of speed or even able to sharply change direction or running lines, lacks footwork also.(does push up nicely through the middle though) Has height and building size nicely but lacks the aggression to one on one over power an opponent like Inglis did in his early years at the Storm.

Passing is average but will develop with maturity, defensively down low at the try-line has been exposed, also not the greatest organizer from the back but yes that will improve over time also.

Kick returns are inconsistent, sometimes lacking energy and purpose.

Doesn't have great hands in general but will improve in this area for sure.

Origin experience will help harden up his attitude.

I just see a player that stood out in his younger years due to his height and the openness of weak defenses allowed his top speed to run away from defensive lines in open space.

Good points.. But I guess the problem we have is that we have had two of the all time best full backs playing for us in the past in Eadie and Brett Stewart, and this naturally biases our perspective..

In my opinion, though Turbo has some areas he need to improve, eg defence, passing, positioning, he is in my opinion at this stage the third best full back I have seen in Manly colours since I started watching in 1965-6. Sure he doesn't have the all round competence of Ridge for example. But though he is slightly slower than Stewart and not as powerful as Eadie, he is much stronger than Stewart and much faster than Eadie.

Eadie and Stewart, our premier full backs were no twinkle toes. Both relied on good positioning and running fast hard lines with some swerving, Stewart using his sheer speed, Eadie his power. Neither were Gibbs/Blake twinkle toes types.

Turbo reminds me of a young Inglis, fast and strong. He has the capacity to run good lines and position himself well, especially with his brother, but this seemed lost last year. But those skills are developed in constant training as must have happened with Lyons and Menzies. Those types of skills need a good coach to use almost military type training to make such things seem natural. This was seriously lacking with Barrett's coaching. Hasler uses those techniques often. You know yourself, the difference between an average team and a good team, is strategy and timing and every player needs to understand their role. Turbo will improve under Hasler

Turbo's big improvement will come from natural maturity ... his listed problems haven't been physical .... they have been trying too hard , running himself into the ground and throwing wild hail Mary passes .... he tried to do too much ...

Playing SOO and for Australia last year at wing and centre will have taught him to do his job and trust and let others do theirs .. that plus just another years experience will naturally make him a more complete footballer .... he is coming into this year as a veteran ... and that growth in status will be evident .....

Tom is a good player already at the age of 22 and yes still will develop some ,it's just that i don't see big improvements left in him other than performing better behind a better improving squad.

Doesn't have football speed or a change of speed or even able to sharply change direction or running lines, lacks footwork also.(does push up nicely through the middle though) Has height and building size nicely but lacks the aggression to one on one over power an opponent like Inglis did in his early years at the Storm.

Passing is average but will develop with maturity, defensively down low at the try-line has been exposed, also not the greatest organizer from the back but yes that will improve over time also.

Kick returns are inconsistent, sometimes lacking energy and purpose.

Doesn't have great hands in general but will improve in this area for sure.

Origin experience will help harden up his attitude.

I just see a player that stood out in his younger years due to his height and the openness of weak defenses allowed his top speed to run away from defensive lines in open space.

This is a gee up surly.

Over the last 2-3 years I've seen a boy become a man. There isn't too many players I could name that attracts so much attention from opposition at still such a young age.
At 22 was NSW best playing from the wing in his 1st series. Backs are in there prime around 27-28 so I think you have left your self wide open here.
I know it's your opinion that you don't see any more improvement in him but personally I find that outrageous to say the least.
He is still growing and learning about his body. I've seen him devolope a passing game we didn't know him for and constant attacking threat with ball in hand.
Yes he has handling errors in his game and needs to organise more from the back but he will grow. Snake is back at Brookie to lend some guidance for his development in these areas.
Tom will be one of the best local juniors we have ever produced imo and super excited to see his growth under the mad professor.

This is a gee up surly.

Over the last 2-3 years I've seen a boy become a man. There isn't too many players I could name that attracts so much attention from opposition at still such a young age.
At 22 was NSW best playing from the wing in his 1st series. Backs are in there prime around 27-28 so I think you have left your self wide open here.
I know it's your opinion that you don't see any more improvement in him but personally I find that outrageous to say the least.
He is still growing and learning about his body. I've seen him devolope a passing game we didn't know him for and constant attacking threat with ball in hand.
Yes he has handling errors in his game and needs to organise more from the back but he will grow. Snake is back at Brookie to lend some guidance for his development in these areas.
Tom will be one of the best local juniors we have ever produced imo and super excited to see his growth under the mad professor.
I never said there is no improvement in Tom, i just don't see him having the rounded game or skillset to improve noticeably beyond the maturity aspects of his game.

He hasn't become a man yet, too often his attitude fluctuated last year, Origin did help in this regard though.

Passing will improve that is for sure, will flourish more behind more structured plays so he doesn't have to think off the cuff as much---which he is not all that good at.

Tom is not going to suddenly develop footwork and a change of speed/direction, his line running will improve under Hasler.

I see improvements but they will only be noticeable behind a good performing squad---yes this is generally the case for most players to a fair degree but i just don't see Tom ever being top two or three fullback in the competition for long sustained periods.

Ok then who in your mind is going to play in the centers? Because if we had walker and even kelly who was the worst defenders and just a stupid player maybe but we have neither so....
Our backline will be the following
1. Tom
2. Taufua
3. Suli
4. Parker
5. Elliot

Other contenders
Garrick
Anderson
Tevita
Hoppa

We are in BIG trouble thanks to walker the wanker. I was really looking forward to next season now its going to be **** house. Unless des can conjure something but i doubt it.
Swap Parker with Taufua unless he learns to catch

I never said there is no improvement in Tom, i just don't see him having the rounded game or skillset to improve noticeably beyond the maturity aspects of his game.

He hasn't become a man yet, too often his attitude fluctuated last year, Origin did help in this regard though.

Passing will improve that is for sure, will flourish more behind more structured plays so he doesn't have to think off the cuff as much---which he is not all that good at.

Tom is not going to suddenly develop footwork and a change of speed/direction, his line running will improve under Hasler.

I see improvements but they will only be noticeable behind a good performing squad---yes this is generally the case for most players to a fair degree but i just don't see Tom ever being top two or three fullback in the competition for long sustained periods.

Not a single player improved under Barrett.

How could they!

We made the 8 in 2017 with pretty much the same squad under Barrett.

With Des back in charge & improvements in fitness, discipline & defence I think we have a realistic chance of making the 8 & possibly going through to the second round of finals but no further in 2019.

It will be the start of our next rebuild as you've alluded to.

we came 6th with over a million on the sideline all year for Stewart and Matai.

If Des cannot beat that he has failed

Shaun Lane, Tom Trbojevic, Kelepi Tanginoa, Taniela Paseka are waving at you.

Disagree with all but Lane. AFB might of improved slightly.

Geez, Tom went backwards at club level, and rapidly.

The other pair of household names you mention wouldn't play first grade at most other clubs at this stage of their careers. Might as well add Parker and Kelly.

we came 6th with over a million on the sideline all year for Stewart and Matai.

If Des cannot beat that he has failed

From 6th to 15th the next season without Stewart and Matai on the books shows that 2017 was a fluke validated by the meek finals exit. 2018 was a complete Barrett debacle, poor game plans, poor man management and blatant self interest. Barrett is a dud personified. There's no pressure on Hasler except from the pro Barrett cheer girls!

Top 8 yeah alot has to go right with injuries for that to happen we have no depth.
We get gased very early with our large pack if possession does not go our way and our defence goes wayward.
Hoping albert hopoate plays some nrl he going to be special talent. I be happy with 8th. I expect us to be most active in player market for season 2020.

My info says Des has 400 k up his sleeve fir this year and once it sajary cap reduced cap is lifted fir 20 we are in an excellent position

Des and his team of Mono, Matty B, Donny and Snake will have us both physically and mentally prepared

Don’t be surprised if another is listed to help in a ortvtume capacity

The inclusion of our young guns into the manly way added to the growth and maturing mindset from last years players will give us both a squad and environment to succeed

I agree injuries are the X factor but don’t underestimate some of our kids to step up when we have short term gaps

They may not be ready to sustain a regular spot each week but their raw talent is such that they could step up and be ready and Des is a master at getting these guys ready in short bursts

My only real concern is whether Walker plays or not

If he does, and I said this in another thread ,I will tip him to be made a part of the leadership team at manly and have the best year of his career and push us into the 4

The team will feed of our crowds and passionate support

It’s a must that we fill Brookvale each game to help the boys out

Go manly
Top 8
Top 4
Premiers

Shaun Lane, Tom Trbojevic, Kelepi Tanginoa, Taniela Paseka are waving at you.
Paseka was rubbish but the rest no doubt.
Jake turbo as well
Afb
Marty taupau
Api

Barrett was a good coach until his game plan was worked out then he couldn't come up with something new. Dud buys like trent hodkinson and letting blake green go killed us. Green was so good for us he really led the team around the park

My info says Des has 400 k up his sleeve fir this year and once it sajary cap reduced cap is lifted fir 20 we are in an excellent position

Des and his team of Mono, Matty B, Donny and Snake will have us both physically and mentally prepared

Don’t be surprised if another is listed to help in a ortvtume capacity

The inclusion of our young guns into the manly way added to the growth and maturing mindset from last years players will give us both a squad and environment to succeed

I agree injuries are the X factor but don’t underestimate some of our kids to step up when we have short term gaps

They may not be ready to sustain a regular spot each week but their raw talent is such that they could step up and be ready and Des is a master at getting these guys ready in short bursts

My only real concern is whether Walker plays or not

If he does, and I said this in another thread ,I will tip him to be made a part of the leadership team at manly and have the best year of his career and push us into the 4

The team will feed of our crowds and passionate support

It’s a must that we fill Brookvale each game to help the boys out

Go manly
Top 8
Top 4
Premiers

Top 4
As gus says. No no no no no!
Walker leadership ? The guys a wanker

I really can’t see us been even close to the finals this year TB has left us in a deeper mess than most people know.

Think at best 9th-12th if a few key players get injuries we just don’t have the depth to cover them.

2020 with a full cap, weak players let go , plus both Anderson and Funa both having some first grade experience late in 2019 I fully expect us to really be a serious chance to make the finals in 2020.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8