Realistically is 2019 a Top 8 Shot ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
The squad compared to others overall could struggle at times in 2019, but there are some quality juniors and hope to maybe surprise a few also.
The pack is competitive and with Des pouring on the salt and pepper, expect more aggression.
Need 2-3 surprise packets to shine and become house hold names, which is always the start of a new dynasty also....there is the quality sprinkled about the team to help make this happen.
Maybe a bit over optimistic here but I am calling a 7-8 finish and some big scalps along the way....with not enough to compete come finals time.....almost the build up to our successful period, with the addition of 2 more quality players by 2020 to be serious contenders.
Des and the staff will create some energy lacking recently, but are not magicians.....the competitive nature will certainly help ensure the intensity is there which is a great thing to build on and sneak into the 8 by a feather...
What's the thoughts - is Top 8 a show, or is it No go ??

We made the 8 in 2017 with pretty much the same squad under Barrett.

With Des back in charge & improvements in fitness, discipline & defence I think we have a realistic chance of making the 8 & possibly going through to the second round of finals but no further in 2019.

It will be the start of our next rebuild as you've alluded to.

The squad compared to others overall could struggle at times in 2019, but there are some quality juniors and hope to maybe surprise a few also.
The pack is competitive and with Des pouring on the salt and pepper, expect more aggression.
Need 2-3 surprise packets to shine and become house hold names, which is always the start of a new dynasty also....there is the quality sprinkled about the team to help make this happen.
Maybe a bit over optimistic here but I am calling a 7-8 finish and some big scalps along the way....with not enough to compete come finals time.....almost the build up to our successful period, with the addition of 2 more quality players by 2020 to be serious contenders.
Des and the staff will create some energy lacking recently, but are not magicians.....the competitive nature will certainly help ensure the intensity is there which is a great thing to build on and sneak into the 8 by a feather...

A bit more optimistic than you .... with the qualifer of course being that one or two of the young centres stand up ...... Garrick in the centres and Suli on the wing are my tips ....

I think if we make the 8 .... then it stands to reason that a couple of those young backs did .... with a forward pack that can mix it with the best and are no longer rookies we should be a competetive unit come Sept.

Probably will again have to wait for some trial form and specifically to see how Elgey can go to give some extra direction and shape up defensively . And also the Walker situation as a still unknown factor , fairly confident that Garrick can step up , hopeful for Suli to do better . Still some good reason to anticipate and for the side to improve on last season "s results and, again i reckon that the trials will provide some fairly clear indicators as to their prospects .

We made the 8 in 2017 with pretty much the same squad under Barrett.

With Des back in charge & improvements in fitness, discipline & defence I think we have a realistic chance of making the 8 & possibly going through to the second round of finals but no further in 2019.

It will be the start of our next rebuild as you've alluded to.

2017 vs. 2019 - (Upgrade vs. downgrade)
01. Tom Trbojevic vs. Tom Trbojevic (Same)
02. Jorge Taufua vs. Jorge Taufua (Downgrade)
03. Brian Kelly vs. Moses Suli (Large Downgrade)
04. Dylan Walker vs. Reuben Garrick (Huge Downgrade)
05. Akuila Uate vs. Brendan Elliott (large Downgrade)
06. Blake Green vs. Kane Elgey (small downgrade)
07. Daly Cherry-Evans vs. Daly Cherry Evans (Same)

3 players out of 7 will be the same. That's 4 players out of 7 who are different or 58%

In the backline, we've also lost Jono Wright, Matthew Wright, Tom Wright, Jackson Hastings, Pita Godinet & Cameron Cullen.

Fowards wise, we've lost (from 2017): Billy Bainbridge, Lewis Brown, Jarrad Kennedy, Shaun Lane, Brenton Lawrence, Darcy Lussick, Nate Myles
Forwards wise, we've gained (from 2017):
Corey Waddell (downgrade on Lane)
Joel Thompson (large upgrade on Nate Myles)
Kelepi Tanginoa (same as Brenton Lawrence)
Manase Fainu (upgrade on Lewis Brown)
Taniela Paseka (upgrade on Darcy Lussick)
Toafofoa Sipley (upgrade on Jarrad Kennedy)

2017 vs. 2019 - (Upgrade vs. downgrade)
08. Brentan Lawrence vs. Marty Taupau (Huge upgrade)
09. Apisai Koroisou vs. Apisai Koroisou (upgrade as he was absent 2018)
10. Nate Myles vs. Addin Fonuia Blake (continuous upgrade)
11. Marty Taupua vs. Joel Thompson (Downgrade)
12. Curtis Sironen vs. Curtis Sironen (Upgrade as he was absent 2018)
13. Jake Trbojevic vs Jake Trbojevic (same)

14. Lewis Brown vs. Manase Fainu (upgrade)
15. Addin Fonua-Blake vs. Kelepi Tanginoa (Downgrade)
16. Darcy Lussick vs. Taniela Paseka (Upgrade, I'll be kind)
17. Shaun Lane vs. Corey Waddell (Downgrade)

5 players out of 10 will be the same. That's 5 players out of 10 who are different or 50%

Stats
Out of a starting 17, potentially 9 players 52% of the entire team will be different.
Based on my reckoning, we will have:
8 Downgrades
3 Staying the same
6 upgrades

Mate, we'll be a very different proposition, and the numbers / quality of players aren't trending in the right direction.

That's also not taking into consideration things like:
X DV cases
X Lude photo's on Snapchat
X Health / Weight issues
X Growing party culture

We are a huge long shot of making the 8 next season. That said, I expect positivity, and movement in the right direction. Thinking 10th - 13th.

Last years team were pea hearts ,I expect if they dont turn up for Des in that way again this year ,they will be sitting games.I fully expect a team playing for each other this year.Adversity will build this team stronger in 19 ,not like the opposite last year.
Also having 2 halves will be massive for us @:rolleyes:

Our biggest issue is depth, more specifically - we have none.

Our top 17 could probably make the 8, but unfortunately we play more games at brookie than any other team - which massively increases the chances of players ending up with season-ending knee injuries.

Attitude in defence will be all I am hoping for. I imagine that is Des's number 1 priority. We get our defence right then anything is possible. Just happy to see a marked improvement in Defence to be honest.
I agree, defence will be a huge improvement on last season. I'm quietly confident that Elgey will turn out to be a very good 5/8 and provide service to the backs which was sadly lacking last year. I think we will be top 6.

I believe every NRL team has the squad capable of making the eight this year. I suppose it just comes down to who clicks at the right times and the roll of the dice in games. On paper there's not much separating the teams other than perhaps the Panthers, roosters and Broncos.

All the way maxta !!!

I believe every NRL team has the squad capable of making the eight this year. I suppose it just comes down to who clicks at the right times and the roll of the dice in games. On paper there's not much separating the teams other than perhaps the Panthers, roosters and Broncos.
Yes, you are right there feathered friend . Nothing separating most teams and the difference will be which coach will get his boys pumped up big time on match day !

A bit more optimistic than you .... with the qualifer of course being that one or two of the young centres stand up ...... Garrick in the centres and Suli on the wing are my tips ....

I think if we make the 8 .... then it stands to reason that a couple of those young backs did .... with a forward pack that can mix it with the best and are no longer rookies we should be a competetive unit come Sept.
Woodsie can't for the life of me seeing Suli on the wing ole mate .

I genuinely believe so.
Our depth is our problem but I believe that our structure will be better.
The last 3 years we have had to deal with both.
I know Des would not have wasted his time out of the game.
He has the burning competitive DESire and will have learned from his mistakes.
Can't wait.
Ain't felt like that since Tooves was here...

Losing two centres is a big loss especially defensively as they have to be pro-active decision makers snuffing out potential overlaps, helping weaker inside shoulder defenders, yet also have to be calm and collected not coming in too early and leaving the winger exposed.

I could see a really good season if Manly went in with both Walker and Kelly, there is so much punch in the forwards to create enough space and opportunities to pile on points through the middle or out wide with creative halves even in the early stages---- but i worry about the composure of our defensive line big time.

There could be one big positional change during the year for a player who is already showing signs that he is plateauing out development wise.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8