Pre Game thread: Manly v Sharks [Week 1 Finals, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It's no bother (though I had gone to bed by the time you had posted this, sorry).

7.50pm Saturday at Lottoland*

Sea Eagles: Des Hasler will struggle to pick a fit squad with the Sea Eagles’ growing injury toll compounded by a one week suspension to Marty Taupau for a careless high tackle. Taniela Paseka (knee) and Curtis Sironen (foot) are out, joining Tom Trbojevic (pectoral), Joel Thompson (arm) and Trent Hodkinson (knee) in being ruled out for the rest of the year. Morgan Boyle (shoulder) and Jack Gosiewski (knee) missed Friday’s game and are no certainties to return the week.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/f33358571130fa5c7bc2c5c69b08c0a4

(I think this is the one)

Yes , we do have a lot of injuries and broken bones but as long as our Manly spirit in not broken we can win this

The Sharks may have the more experienced players but our Courage and never say die will to defend our fortress and win will get us through

With Courage all things are possible

davidviscott1-2x.jpg

Many positives here, so many young players now with top 8 experience and now finals experience.
Home final at Brookie (who would have thought)
Des has many players firing, some unheralded.
All players are buying into Manly, Des and their teamates.

We have a game yet to play!

This year is already a success.

Might help if we'd been able to catch and/or hold onto the ball in our last few games.
This has been the inexplicable part to me. Sure we've been down on troops but so much dropped ball has been crazy.
Offloading is a 2 part equation tactic
I think Fainu is our most dangerous off loader
Perott has to keep doing it if he is to be any value to the team
Fanua and Jake could easily fill that role as well
We know about Tapua but he’s suffers tunnel vision these days
The 2nd part the equation is getting support players around these players and expect to get the ball
Done effectively I would rate it above quick play the balls where the defence is set
Basically we need to do a Parra on Cronulla and go for early points :rock:

The new Chez fronting this week
Rallying his outside backs on defence
forget the nicey nicey talk !
Start ranting and pointing :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Hope that the current Sydney weather forecast for a dry track at Brookie for Saturday eventuates . Another rain affected match would hardly be in Manly "s favour . Certainly plenty of intrigue as to the make up of Manly 21 man squad for this afternoon

Only way we can win this is the forwards must dominate and drag it down to a slugfest.

Just grind away , nothing fancy as we don’t have the backs to be fancy.

The Gummies could **** themselves if it’s 4-0 at half time to us.

Des must find a game plan to suit our limited ability.

Definitely need a better kicking game , don't think that Manly got one repeat set against the Eels . Building pressure is still one of the main prerequisites for scoring opportunities and constraining an opposition . Regardless D C E has got to stand up in general for this one , if he largely goes missing like last week , no chance Sea Eagles .

My team for the match against the Sharks (subject to availability / injury) is a little out there so hear me out:-

L Croker
R Garrick
B Parker
M Suli
J Taufua
D Walker
DCE

AFB
A Koroisau
S Keppie
J Gosiewski
C Waddell
Jake T

RES: M Fainu, L Perrett, T Rex, H Olakau'atu

Croker > good organizer, safe hands, defensively sound, reasonable size for a fullback (5'11 / 92kg) when compared to Elliott, Papenhuyzen, Hughes etc.....who are all similar in stature. Think he'd do OK?
Our forwards are decimated right now so Waddell & Jetski to start, Perrett on the bench with Ola & T Rex. Both can cover all forwards positions & T Rex can play wing / center if need be. Not sure why but I have a weird feeling he'd be unstoppable if given the opportunity by Desmond! Perrett played well last week in a beaten team, Jetski has that mongrel to get under the Sharks players skins, Ola would be so enthusiastic to prove what he can do & T Rex unstoppable if in the right mood.............just sayin'.
But have you considered just how many disasters Taufua will create again if selected?
My team for the match against the Sharks (subject to availability / injury) is a little out there so hear me out:-

L Croker
R Garrick
B Parker
M Suli
J Taufua
D Walker
DCE

AFB
A Koroisau
S Keppie
J Gosiewski
C Waddell
Jake T

RES: M Fainu, L Perrett, T Rex, H Olakau'atu

Croker > good organizer, safe hands, defensively sound, reasonable size for a fullback (5'11 / 92kg) when compared to Elliott, Papenhuyzen, Hughes etc.....who are all similar in stature. Think he'd do OK?
Our forwards are decimated right now so Waddell & Jetski to start, Perrett on the bench with Ola & T Rex. Both can cover all forwards positions & T Rex can play wing / center if need be. Not sure why but I have a weird feeling he'd be unstoppable if given the opportunity by Desmond! Perrett played well last week in a beaten team, Jetski has that mongrel to get under the Sharks players skins, Ola would be so enthusiastic to prove what he can do & T Rex unstoppable if in the right mood.............just sayin'.

I think Walker could be a great attacking fullback but his defence would almost certainly be suspect there .... Elliot is the obvious FB choice at the moment and I would like to see Cust or Croker at 5/8 and Walker back in the centres, Suli to the bench .... he has the build to be able to cover for a forward if needed ... don't know if he has done any training in the pack though

I think Walker could be a great attacking fullback but his defence would almost certainly be suspect there .... Elliot is the obvious FB choice at the moment and I would like to see Cust or Croker at 5/8 and Walker back in the centres, Suli to the bench .... he has the build to be able to cover for a forward if needed ... don't know if he has done any training in the pack though
Elliott defends at fullback and walker at right centre then switch in attack. Easy fixed

Look always like a team selection thread and curiosity around where people will play. However, if we are going to win this game it really doesn’t matter where people play. It will take 17players going out there and giving their determined best to play as a unit. We have so many out, that a win for us will not come down to the positions on the field, it will be about guts, commitment and determination to work for your mate. The one clear advantage I see is that we have a coach who can bring out just these traits in each player and he will give the side every piece of motivation to win this game. I really feel an upset on the cards here this sat. Manly 20 Sharks 8
Ps who good is our record at home v Cronulla! Hooper said last night on 360 Cronulla have won 5 times and lost 39 at Brookie.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2