Pre Game thread: Manly v Sharks [Week 1 Finals, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
One thing I noticed is that Cronulla started pretty slow Sunday, and contrary to their form-line I don't think they really gel and play as a team - more as individuals. (thats why they ran 8th)
I'd like to see:
Fast play the balls - particularly the first 20 minutes - high octane straight up the middle and plays on tackles 4 and 5 only.
Simple instructions to the forwards - straight up the guts, stand up (read that Marty-and take note for next week IF you play) and play the ball quick.
Focus on possession possession possession.
No structured plays like we saw against the Eels - please (Cronulla will read it and eat it up). Do not play around Dylan again - keep the attack moving forward and do what we did until round 23 - bury them in the corners.
A straight line in defence. No more excuses.
I think if we do this, and execute, we can get off to a good start and win this footy game.
Please put Reuben back in his position on the wing and Elliot at fullback,otherwise Feki or Ronaldo Multalo will run riot.

There is my gameplan. Fill in any gaps with what we did up to round 23 - and put simple instructions and pick high workrate forwards.

Manly by 8.

NYEagle
Agreed. We drastically need to simplify our game plan. We need our forwards running like they do in extra time when trying to make metres to take a field goal hard and straight and quick play the balls and let chez and fainu play off that. Simple footy at a high completion rate

We need to strengthen our edge defence, re-introduce our 2nd phase play (with good support), and cut the unforced errors out.

I have also harped on this for weeks but Walker must start RUNNING. Someone please sit Dylan down and make him watch Forest Gump on repeat.

giphy.gif

1 Elliot
2 Taufua
3 Parker
4 Suli
5 Garrick
6 Walker
7 DCE
8 AFB
9 Fainu
10 Perrett
11 Waddell
12 Gosiewski
13 J Trbojevic
--------------------
14 Koroisau
15 Keppie
16 Olakau'atu
17 Boyle / Sipley / Mr Extinction

Last edited:
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/09/sea-eagles-feathers-not-ruffled-over-injury-toll/

Sea Eagles' feathers not ruffled over injury toll
Author
Margie McDonaldSenior Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 9 Sep 2019, 06:01 PM
Manly will have possibly seven regular first-graders missing from the side that takes on a near full-strength Cronulla outfit in Saturday's elimination final.

The list of definite outs is five – Martin Taupau (suspension), Taniela Paseka (knee), Curtis Sironen (foot), Tom Trbojevic (pectoral) and Joel Thompson (forearm). Question marks are hovering over centre Brad Parker (head knock), second-rower Jack Gosiewski (knee) and prop Morgan Boyle (shoulder).

"I might have to play front row this week as we're down a few," said Parker. "I hope the boys can recover well this week and we get back a few for the weekend."

Parker is hoping to be among them. He left Bankwest Stadium dazed and bleeding from a head wound after a collision with Eels prop Kane Evans in the 32-16 loss last Friday night.

"I got to see the doctor today. I've still got to do some tests, a bit of cardio, and a few other protocols throughout the week," the local junior said, to prove his fitness in his first NRL final.

"I actually feel fine. I woke up Saturday feeling good, knew what I was doing, where I was. I feel good now."

Spirits are high with the Sea Eagles making their first finals appearance since 2017 – but that campaign only lasted one game due to a 12-point loss to the Panthers.

The high injury toll is causing many to think Manly might be a one-game-wonder again.

"Over the years we've always found some energy in having your backs against the wall and no one thinking you can win," said lock Jake Trbojevic.

remote.axd

"I think it's really exciting time for the club. We're back in the semi-finals and we haven't been there for a couple of years.

"You've always got self-belief. It's a proud club and we're proud individuals. If everyone is writing you off it does give you motivation."

But no one is dodging the realisation of the task at hand. The Sharks have one player under an injury cloud with fullback Matt Moylan trying to overcome a hamstring problem although they will also be missing winger Ronaldo Mulitalo, after he took the early plea for a shoulder charge against Wests Tigers half Luke Brooks.

"We do have a lot of injuries – it seems to be one of the things that has been our downfall this season with a few big names out injured," said Brendan Elliot, who has filled in at fullback, centre and wing.

"It has been quite hard but in saying that we've got great depth here and everyone is putting in at training," Elliot said.

"Everyone is really focused this year. We're all heading in the same direction. We all want the same outcome, same end goal, and that's ultimately to win a premiership."

fs19_week-1-draw_1080x1350.jpg

Parker, who missed seven games mid-season with a fractured jaw, said Manly had still proved to be a top-four side with some against-the-grain wins like the Warriors in Christchurch, Storm in Melbourne, Cowboys in Townsville, Knights in Newcastle, Raiders in Canberra and the Sharks in the Sutherland Shire.

"It definitely hurts to be down on so many troops, but we've been down a few players a couple of times this year and won," he said.

"So we need to look back at those and see where we went well, and hopefully pull it out again this week."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/10/manly-seek-finals-exemption-for-tony-williams/

NRL.com understands the Sea Eagles have requested an exemption for the NRL to pick Williams from outside their top 30 when they name their team on Tuesday.

The squad will officially be named at 4pm on Tuesday.

The Sea Eagles have been decimated by injury and have also lost prop Marty Taupau to suspension after his high tackle on Parramatta’s Ray Stone last Friday night.

We are down on troops and all players that take the field must lift to great heights to over come the full strength Sharks

Our team will consist of inexperienced players and our decorated leader DCE who has experienced success at every level in the game

must stand tall and be counted and be the General to lift , Inspire and steer our team to Victory

Time to Rise once more DCE !!!

WeRise.jpg

Seems a bit odd to me that with about 6 forwards missing some people want to start rearranging the backs as well. Aside from swapping Elliott and Garrick back to their usual spots after last weeks experiment I doubt there'll be any change to our backs. (And Des even seemed OK with how they went)
Plug the gaping forward holes as best as we can (asbestos we can, lol) and otherwise keep things as clsoe as possible to how they've played all year.
I guess we'll find out soon what Des thinks!

Either way i would think we will not know the team until 6:50 on Saturday night
Yes, maybe. Although I can't really recall any late switches so far this year, they tend to run out as originally selected.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/10/manly-seek-finals-exemption-for-tony-williams/

NRL.com understands the Sea Eagles have requested an exemption for the NRL to pick Williams from outside their top 30 when they name their team on Tuesday.

The squad will officially be named at 4pm on Tuesday.

The Sea Eagles have been decimated by injury and have also lost prop Marty Taupau to suspension after his high tackle on Parramatta’s Ray Stone last Friday night.

T Rex will add Big match Experience , Size and Muscle to compete against the Sharks pack

Love the T Rex !!!

dorothydino.jpg

I we are any chance, first and foremost, CONTROL the ball!! its been our achillies heel of late. We are also going to need to defend better, our right side is our weakness and their left side attack is their strength! We need to get in their face and DCE has to really manage this game the crowd need to get right behind the boys. This is a chance to stick it up Greenturd!!!

T-Rex eh...

Big body, can make an impact....

However whenever i have watched him, he is so lazy and shows no urgency. We've already got Taufua and Suli for that. Ah well, might as well add another one!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
9 4 5 -16 8