PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Warriors [Round 9, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Late Mail: The Sea Eagles have Morgan Harper in doubt due to knee injury and if ruled out Moses Suli, who has fully recovered from a fractured back coming in at right centre with Tevita Funa coming onto the bench to provide options should an outside back go down injured. Reuben Garrick is likely going to be back goal kicking after copping a knock to his leg during the game on the weekend which saw Daly Cherry-Evans cover the goal kicking duties.

(DT)

And as posted above.

We need one of those fast starts against NZ who are playing more Allround type of footy this year.
Avoid the grind.

If Harper is out then Suli would go to right centre so there wouldn't be 2 backs on the bench.

Effectively what I was alluding to was that Cust is a back, or rotating hooker. He's not big enough to replace a prop, second rower or hooker, though perhaps at a stretch he may be able to handle the latter position. Generally teams have one back/rotating hooker and three forwards on the bench because its the forwards who need the rotation given the work load they have. Reducing the forward bench to two forwards, reduces the time out period for the forwards. I suspect he had Suli on the bench because he knew there was a good chance Harper would drop out or not last a game, in which case he would look for a forward to fit into the vacancy. That's why I was suggesting Trbojevic over Funa, because he is trained as a forward and centre. But that's just my opinion. Des will do what Des does

I worry about Burbos defence. I just can't get the image of Adam Doueihi shrugging him off so easily to score a try in the trial game this year. If we let the warriors get get their tails up we might get lapped. We will need to work very hard in defence to win this one. Just as we did when we ground out a win last time. I am very glad we have Turbo playing.

I worry about Burbos defence. I just can't get the image of Adam Doueihi shrugging him off so easily to score a try in the trial game this year. If we let the warriors get get their tails up we might get lapped. We will need to work very hard in defence to win this one. Just as we did when we ground out a win last time. I am very glad we have Turbo playing.

Perhaps TMT though one missed tackle does not make a failure. Every player in the game misses tackles at certain times and generally at least one a game. He wouldn't be in the forwards if he couldn't tackle and is more likely to be effective than most centres for that very reason. Remember he is Turbo's and Jurbo's younger brother and they would not have let him get away with shirking his defensive responsibilities.

However he is young and facing his first season and not yet having played his first top grade game. Big jump from the juniors, especially for a forward. Most forwards don't settle in well until their early to mid 20s because it is a demanding role. Schuster's performance is the exception to the norm. Burbo is still only 19. I expect him to blunder at times. But there always must be an opportunity to blunder. That's how they learn.

Perhaps TMT though one missed tackle does not make a failure. Every player in the game misses tackles at certain times and generally at least one a game. He wouldn't be in the forwards if he couldn't tackle and is more likely to be effective than most centres for that very reason. Remember he is Turbo's and Jurbo's younger brother and they would not have let him get away with shirking his defensive responsibilities.

However he is young and facing his first season and not yet having played his first top grade game. Big jump from the juniors, especially for a forward. Most forwards don't settle in well until their early to mid 20s because it is a demanding role. Schuster's performance is the exception to the norm. Burbo is still only 19. I expect him to blunder at times. But there always must be an opportunity to blunder. That's how they learn.
How has young Ben been going in reserve grade? Is he coping well playing against men?

Having a heart attack over Harper possibly being out. It terrifies me that if he has a week out he could find it hard to get back in the side if Suli plays a good game. Pls be the same situation where Saab was reported to be dropped for two weeks in a row - aka WRONG

Late mail: Morgan Harper is in doubt due to knee injury with Moses Suli, who was named on the bench likely to take his place if he is ruled out and Tevita Funa coming onto the pine.

that’s not a typo pine is what was written on the website
Written by some conehead!

just sayin!

Having a heart attack over Harper possibly being out. It terrifies me that if he has a week out he could find it hard to get back in the side if Suli plays a good game. Pls be the same situation where Saab was reported to be dropped for two weeks in a row - aka WRONG
Surely a WIN/WIN if that scenario plays out. Then the next problem would be Walker coming back. All fit and firing, Des has some tough choices.

How has young Ben been going in reserve grade? Is he coping well playing against men?

Havent seen that much of him there but he's playing in a poorly performing side as had Funa, Taufua and Saddler. But then again many in first grade have looked less then reserve grade standard until Turbo returned. He's in the 30, not a development player so he's ready to be tried out. We can only assess him if he plays.

If Suli comes back, will he be defending Pompey? If so, we’re f@cked, and Harper will be straight back in the side.

Was just thinking the exact same thing. I like mention of Tui in and Suli to stay in the bench. Won’t happen tho. Des will carry Funa on the bench if Harpers out.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2