PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Tigers [Round 1, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Any halfwit knows an incoming coach inherits an incumbent squad.
Is Des supposed to miraculously pull rep stars out of his arse to bolster his team before a game has been played?
I’m pretty certain that “most” intelligent fans choose to be positive and understand it will be work in progress.

No, but my expectation is that he doesn't release rep players without adequate replacements or at least a traded player.

I was told by everyone Des had this player or that player "up his sleeve" all off season when I wanted The Titans to compensate our club for what is a rep Centre (despite what people said about him - I loved him).

Most intelligent fans "may" be positive despite knowing it's going to be a work in progress. Does that make the realistic fans (heck, even the negative fans) wrong for feeling or vocalising their mindset?

I'm personally open to all opinions and feelings, and am happy to empathise with all. Not sure why you seem you have to dictate the way people should feel, think or vocalise those thoughts? Again.

Rookie fullback Brendan Elliot seeks guidance from Manly greats
MARCH 12, 2019
He may have been thrown in at the deep end but new Sea Eagles fullback Brendan Elliot has two of Manly’s greatest No.1s to prepare him for Saturday night’s NRL opener against the Wests Tigers.

Elliot has played just seven of his 40 NRL games at fullback and faces a tough task filling the sizeable shoes of injured custodian Tom Trbojevic.

Although he has only won one career match at fullback, Elliot has the backing and tutelage of Trbojevic and legendary Manly No.1 Brett Stewart.

64d5920c5fedf5e87b5616655e872465

Manly have done all they can to prepare Elliot. Image: Brett Costello
A full off-season training program at fullback, alongside Trbojevic, has Elliot settled and confident entering the Leichhardt Oval match.

Elliot also knows a bold showing would have him ready to slot back into fullback when Trbojevic is absent mid-season on State of Origin duty.

“They are massive shoes to fill. Tom is a champion player. I have been training there with Tom from day one of pre-season and he has given me a lot of tips and pointers,” Elliot said.

“We have spoken about positional stuff — offensive and defensive — and about confidence as well. He has said to back myself and things will fall into place.

“Tom is the first-choice fullback. I just want to do my best for the team this weekend and put my best foot forward, do a solid job for the team.”

7e3319018f8cad0f1910d518105ac7f5

Trbojevic has been forced to help from the sidelines. Image: Brett Costello
Elliot is likely to keep the No.1 jersey next week as well with Trbojevic not expected back from a hamstring injury until at least round three.

Stewart, the Prince of Brookvale, has joined Manly’s coaching staff to help guide the back five.

“Snake (Stewart) is a legend of the game,” Elliot said.

“As with Turbo, he just gives you confidence and tells me to back my ability and to be vocal and loud on the field. “In defence, he tells me that I should demand where the boys should be on the park.

“He pops in and really helps out a lot. To get some great wisdom from him, you can’t buy that sort of thing. I am feeling pretty confident and am ready to go this weekend. I’m feeling good.”

838486d583d8b358b1bf96274ef19b7a

Brett Stewart will give Elliot some old school know-how. Image: Mark Evans
In his stints with the Sydney Roosters, Newcastle and Gold Coast, Elliot has predominantly played as an outside back, but is relishing the chance to anchor Manly’s back five.

“One of the strengths of my game is that I can play wing, centre and fullback. That was actually one of the things Des (Hasler) said to me earlier in the preseason — he wants me to learn fullback because Tom will be out with rep duty,” he said.

“He wanted me to nail the fullback role. It just so happens that Tom has been unfortunately injured and I will slot in there. There are also no hesitations about me playing centre or wing either.”

17d0c833a055068cec3ee4c1c09010a2

Des Hasler is giving Elliot the chance to prove himself. Image: John Grainger
Manly named Kane Elgey at five-eighth with rising star Reuben Garrick chosen on the wing. Trent Hodkinson will come off the bench.

Manly forward Corey Waddell was a late withdrawal. An ultrasound found Waddell had sustained a broken rib and won’t play for between four to six weeks.

Elliot paid tribute to Hasler, saying: “He is a great coach, definitely the most experienced coach I have had and that really shows. He has a very serious outlook on training and I think that’s what we need.

“We have been training really hard over the pre-season and that will put us in a good position for the season ahead.

“I spoke to a few of the boys prior to coming here and they said what a good club it was. Being back in Sydney was a major part of it. I love living in Sydney and enjoying the lifestyle. I got a two-year contract, which was enticing as well. I feel very comfortable in Sydney.”

Elliot claimed it would be “exciting” working on the inside of Manly skipper and halfback, Daly Cherry-Evans.
Okay, some positivity from me.

I'm really hoping Elliott impresses, and we land ourselves a new Robbo, who was utility as well.

Being a fullback, he can probably pass quite well (like Robbo used to) .

Then get Walker , Hopoate , Trbojevic (and as I hope Garrick is huge), then I'll be much more relaxed about that backline.

Later in the season:

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Brendan Elliott
03. Reuben Garrick
04. Dylan Walker (jeez I hope this works for him)
05. Albert Hopoate
06. Kane Elgey
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

Type of deal. Might have a few.lonf range tries in that one.

Well you've certainly shown me, haven't you! :clap:

Actually yes, I've been told all off season how negative / wrong I've been. I've felt I've been a realist.

As I've said before, a Datsun 120B is a Datsun 120B regardless of who's pressing the accelerator.

Once again, I'm not going to sit here full of gusto to placate the crowd, like you expect. The team was announced TODAY, I'm ****ING WELL ABLE TO GIVE AN HONEST OPINION ON IT.

Therefore, expect to be carved out wide. Parker and Suli don't pass, so expect an attack where a defense pushes in , minimising breaks. That bodes for a.limited attack, sloppy defense. Ergo: no change from Trent's game plan.

So stop posting about me, and start posting about the team lineup. Try not to use the words "you" and/or "me" , or "I". It's narcissistic.

I have vivid memories of you carrying on in an overly negative way in 2008 as well...

Let’s tear down the tiger players instead of our own. A few dufus-es, and no names in that west’s team.

Not to forget weekend at Benji’s / robbie’s.

I know some tiger fans who are pretty glum right now.

The tigers should be worried coming up against our pack and dce.

****, you might make me change my pick after reading this!

I’m all enthused again.

I have vivid memories of you carrying on in an overly negative way in 2008 as well...
You vividly remember my posting habits 11 years ago? ****ing hell mate. Get some excitement in your life.

I wouldn't remember a thing someone posted on here yesterday.

Let it go.

Rookie fullback Brendan Elliot seeks guidance from Manly greats
MARCH 12, 2019
He may have been thrown in at the deep end but new Sea Eagles fullback Brendan Elliot has two of Manly’s greatest No.1s to prepare him for Saturday night’s NRL opener against the Wests Tigers.

Elliot has played just seven of his 40 NRL games at fullback and faces a tough task filling the sizeable shoes of injured custodian Tom Trbojevic.

Although he has only won one career match at fullback, Elliot has the backing and tutelage of Trbojevic and legendary Manly No.1 Brett Stewart.

64d5920c5fedf5e87b5616655e872465

Manly have done all they can to prepare Elliot. Image: Brett Costello
A full off-season training program at fullback, alongside Trbojevic, has Elliot settled and confident entering the Leichhardt Oval match.

Elliot also knows a bold showing would have him ready to slot back into fullback when Trbojevic is absent mid-season on State of Origin duty.

“They are massive shoes to fill. Tom is a champion player. I have been training there with Tom from day one of pre-season and he has given me a lot of tips and pointers,” Elliot said.

“We have spoken about positional stuff — offensive and defensive — and about confidence as well. He has said to back myself and things will fall into place.

“Tom is the first-choice fullback. I just want to do my best for the team this weekend and put my best foot forward, do a solid job for the team.”

7e3319018f8cad0f1910d518105ac7f5

Trbojevic has been forced to help from the sidelines. Image: Brett Costello
Elliot is likely to keep the No.1 jersey next week as well with Trbojevic not expected back from a hamstring injury until at least round three.

Stewart, the Prince of Brookvale, has joined Manly’s coaching staff to help guide the back five.

“Snake (Stewart) is a legend of the game,” Elliot said.

“As with Turbo, he just gives you confidence and tells me to back my ability and to be vocal and loud on the field. “In defence, he tells me that I should demand where the boys should be on the park.

“He pops in and really helps out a lot. To get some great wisdom from him, you can’t buy that sort of thing. I am feeling pretty confident and am ready to go this weekend. I’m feeling good.”

838486d583d8b358b1bf96274ef19b7a

Brett Stewart will give Elliot some old school know-how. Image: Mark Evans
In his stints with the Sydney Roosters, Newcastle and Gold Coast, Elliot has predominantly played as an outside back, but is relishing the chance to anchor Manly’s back five.

“One of the strengths of my game is that I can play wing, centre and fullback. That was actually one of the things Des (Hasler) said to me earlier in the preseason — he wants me to learn fullback because Tom will be out with rep duty,” he said.

“He wanted me to nail the fullback role. It just so happens that Tom has been unfortunately injured and I will slot in there. There are also no hesitations about me playing centre or wing either.”

17d0c833a055068cec3ee4c1c09010a2

Des Hasler is giving Elliot the chance to prove himself. Image: John Grainger
Manly named Kane Elgey at five-eighth with rising star Reuben Garrick chosen on the wing. Trent Hodkinson will come off the bench.

Manly forward Corey Waddell was a late withdrawal. An ultrasound found Waddell had sustained a broken rib and won’t play for between four to six weeks.

Elliot paid tribute to Hasler, saying: “He is a great coach, definitely the most experienced coach I have had and that really shows. He has a very serious outlook on training and I think that’s what we need.

“We have been training really hard over the pre-season and that will put us in a good position for the season ahead.

“I spoke to a few of the boys prior to coming here and they said what a good club it was. Being back in Sydney was a major part of it. I love living in Sydney and enjoying the lifestyle. I got a two-year contract, which was enticing as well. I feel very comfortable in Sydney.”

Elliot claimed it would be “exciting” working on the inside of Manly skipper and halfback, Daly Cherry-Evans.

Thank you mate . Great read .

There is a clear sense of excitement and high expectations from our boys .

It looks like they have been filled up with high hopes and cleansed by Des from being stained in Manlys history books as being part of one of the most darkest and inept years in the history of our club, grossly under performing to wooden spoon standard .

Their once feared home ground and fortress was turned into a bordello as their submissive defence had them dominated by just about every team

The pathetic spooners Parra's biggest win and one of the very few wins was against us . Their wooden spoon backs carved us up out wide thrashing us and embarrassing us to the tune of 44 points to 10 .

I cannot remember any Manly team being thrashed and humiliated by wooden spooners . That is how completely inadequate they were under an incompetent coach who dragged them down to his level

Our boys Know just how badly they under performed as individuals and under achieved as a team . They know what a shame it was narrowly escaping the wooden spoon and go down in history books as the first Manly team to do so .

They know that they have a lot to play for and a lot to prove and I can sense their determination and strong desire for redemption .

2018 is a bench mark for failure and a year to forget

Bring on the Born Again 2019 Manly Sea eagles !!!

destruction-to-redemption-thumbnail-1-e1469164391261-503x321.png

Last edited:
You vividly remember my posting habits 11 years ago? ****ing hell mate. Get some excitement in your life.

I wouldn't remember a thing someone posted on here yesterday.

Let it go.

Mate the tenor and tone of your posts stands out like dogs' balls on these forums. There aren't too many guys named Ryan posting the worst possible interpretation of every single thing related to the team even before a ball is kicked. 2008 is memorable precisely because your "realism" was so off base by season's end. Worry less, you might just catch yourself enjoying life a little more.

You put your money where your mouth is, and put some hard earned on Manly for the top 8? Put some $$$ on them against The Tigers? Yeah, didn't think so. Piss and wind.

I only gamble on sure things mate, like betting against your ridiculous "it doesn't matter who's pressing the accelerator" analogy. That was the point mate.

If you didn't get what I was saying, or the meaning / connotation behind it, 120B, 290Y whatever, more the fool you. Point remains the same:

Agreed, the point does remain the same, it was an absurd analogy regardless of whichever car choose.

Have a nice day.

I only gamble on sure things mate, like betting against your ridiculous "it doesn't matter who's pressing the accelerator" analogy. That was the point mate.

Agreed, the point does remain the same, it was an absurd analogy regardless of whichever car choose.

Have a nice day.

Have a nice day. Is that an order, General? Jeez you like being militant with how you demand people think, post, suggest or contribute.

99% of the time, my theory stands up. Quality is quality. Then, on a very rare occassion, you have the Leicester affect. But that's unique, it's not the norm.

To say roster quality has no affect on a teams form (overall, not every time) in ANY sport, is just moronic.

Doesn't matter who coaches. More often than not, it's the quality of the players that make the difference. Even given system....it takes quality players to implement them.

We are in a down cycle, where we have to build, and start again. Therefore, our backline is a monstrosity.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8