PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Tigers [Round 1, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
How many more posts do we have to endure when you apportion every loss we had last season to Twenty? You sound like a broken record.
We get it.
Move on. And when we have a loss this season please don't sheet the blame back to Twenty, although I know you will.
None of this would have happened if they didn’t sack Toovey! Just sayin’
BTW I did some research on TB and this is what I found;

“TB is a disease TB most commonly affects a person's lungs, but can also affect other parts of the body. It can cause serious illness.”

Well TB has made the manly club very very sick!!!

None of this would have happened if they didn’t sack Toovey! Just sayin’
BTW I did some research on TB and this is what I found;

“TB is a disease TB most commonly affects a person's lungs, but can also affect other parts of the body. It can cause serious illness.”

Well TB has made the manly club very very sick!!!
Well said Feathered friend !

Any halfwit knows an incoming coach inherits an incumbent squad.
Is Des supposed to miraculously pull rep stars out of his arse to bolster his team before a game has been played?
I’m pretty certain that “most” intelligent fans choose to be positive and understand it will be work in progress.
Pretty right mate , work in progress and hard to pick stars in positions that we haven't got. Hasler will get the team he wants within a couple of years. Similar to 04 really.

We'll give a good account on Sat but in the end the Tigpies will get over the line thanks to the weight of Greenturd pinko penalties against us. It'll be same old, same old. Tigpies by 10.

MIGOTY

Barrett gone, a real coach installed.

Plenty of injuries , new players.

Salary cap fine in affect.

Club rebuilding on and off the field.

Nobody knows how we will go.

A win will be a win for the ages.....

Well put together and If I may add one more thing

Are the Tigers beatable ? Fcken oath they are !!!

The Tigers are like a bitch on heat that is ready to be taken

and this Saturday night will be the night

As I've said before, a Datsun 120B is a Datsun 120B regardless of who's pressing the accelerator.

There is no such thing as a Datsun 120B. There was a 120Y and a 180B though and I would put my house on any racer "pressing the accelerator" on either of those 2 cars if they are racing you.

Let's hope your footballing opinion is as correct as your automotive knowledge and we have a good season.

There is no such thing as a Datsun 120B. There was a 120Y and a 180B though and I would put my house on any racer "pressing the accelerator" on either of those 2 cars if they are racing you.

Let's hope your footballing opinion is as correct as your automotive knowledge and we have a good season.
As long as we have moved up from the Sunbird we were last year I'll be happy...

Read somewhere on here that Smokin Joe reports before a ball has been kicked only 21 players are available for selection in Rd 1. That has to be some sort of record surely.
Year in year out this seems to happen.
How many ladders , black cats and chinamen can there be on one peninsular !
If you look at the premiers every year they generally use very few players.9 down before Rd 1 is incredible.

You’re right! I missed that mistake. We had a 180B for a while, they turned into the stanza, which was a rally car, the 120y was **** though.

Well put together and If I may add one more thing

Are the Tigers beatable ? Fcken oath they are !!!

The Tigers are like a bitch on heat that is ready to be taken

and this Saturday night will be the night
I can't see how there forwards will get near ours and if Elgey and Dce can make inroads, all our inexperienced boys need do is back them up with great line running. We got this.

You’re right! I missed that mistake. We had a 180B for a while, they turned into the stanza, which was a rally car, the 120y was **** though.
The 180B in SSS guise was a very successful rally car in it's own right mate and while the 120Y was anemic at best, I recall it setting a fuel economy record, which was the niche market it was created for. 2 pretty good cars of their time really, all in all.

Last year's Sunbird...well that is another thing entirely.@:cry:

Rookie fullback Brendan Elliot seeks guidance from Manly greats
MARCH 12, 2019
He may have been thrown in at the deep end but new Sea Eagles fullback Brendan Elliot has two of Manly’s greatest No.1s to prepare him for Saturday night’s NRL opener against the Wests Tigers.

Elliot has played just seven of his 40 NRL games at fullback and faces a tough task filling the sizeable shoes of injured custodian Tom Trbojevic.

Although he has only won one career match at fullback, Elliot has the backing and tutelage of Trbojevic and legendary Manly No.1 Brett Stewart.

64d5920c5fedf5e87b5616655e872465

Manly have done all they can to prepare Elliot. Image: Brett Costello
A full off-season training program at fullback, alongside Trbojevic, has Elliot settled and confident entering the Leichhardt Oval match.

Elliot also knows a bold showing would have him ready to slot back into fullback when Trbojevic is absent mid-season on State of Origin duty.

“They are massive shoes to fill. Tom is a champion player. I have been training there with Tom from day one of pre-season and he has given me a lot of tips and pointers,” Elliot said.

“We have spoken about positional stuff — offensive and defensive — and about confidence as well. He has said to back myself and things will fall into place.

“Tom is the first-choice fullback. I just want to do my best for the team this weekend and put my best foot forward, do a solid job for the team.”

7e3319018f8cad0f1910d518105ac7f5

Trbojevic has been forced to help from the sidelines. Image: Brett Costello
Elliot is likely to keep the No.1 jersey next week as well with Trbojevic not expected back from a hamstring injury until at least round three.

Stewart, the Prince of Brookvale, has joined Manly’s coaching staff to help guide the back five.

“Snake (Stewart) is a legend of the game,” Elliot said.

“As with Turbo, he just gives you confidence and tells me to back my ability and to be vocal and loud on the field. “In defence, he tells me that I should demand where the boys should be on the park.

“He pops in and really helps out a lot. To get some great wisdom from him, you can’t buy that sort of thing. I am feeling pretty confident and am ready to go this weekend. I’m feeling good.”

838486d583d8b358b1bf96274ef19b7a

Brett Stewart will give Elliot some old school know-how. Image: Mark Evans
In his stints with the Sydney Roosters, Newcastle and Gold Coast, Elliot has predominantly played as an outside back, but is relishing the chance to anchor Manly’s back five.

“One of the strengths of my game is that I can play wing, centre and fullback. That was actually one of the things Des (Hasler) said to me earlier in the preseason — he wants me to learn fullback because Tom will be out with rep duty,” he said.

“He wanted me to nail the fullback role. It just so happens that Tom has been unfortunately injured and I will slot in there. There are also no hesitations about me playing centre or wing either.”

17d0c833a055068cec3ee4c1c09010a2

Des Hasler is giving Elliot the chance to prove himself. Image: John Grainger
Manly named Kane Elgey at five-eighth with rising star Reuben Garrick chosen on the wing. Trent Hodkinson will come off the bench.

Manly forward Corey Waddell was a late withdrawal. An ultrasound found Waddell had sustained a broken rib and won’t play for between four to six weeks.

Elliot paid tribute to Hasler, saying: “He is a great coach, definitely the most experienced coach I have had and that really shows. He has a very serious outlook on training and I think that’s what we need.

“We have been training really hard over the pre-season and that will put us in a good position for the season ahead.

“I spoke to a few of the boys prior to coming here and they said what a good club it was. Being back in Sydney was a major part of it. I love living in Sydney and enjoying the lifestyle. I got a two-year contract, which was enticing as well. I feel very comfortable in Sydney.”

Elliot claimed it would be “exciting” working on the inside of Manly skipper and halfback, Daly Cherry-Evans.

Well, it's all roses to you, isn't it Captain Marvelous?

You put your money where your mouth is, and put some hard earned on Manly for the top 8? Put some $$$ on them against The Tigers? Yeah, didn't think so. Piss and wind.

If you didn't get what I was saying, or the meaning / connotation behind it, 120B, 290Y whatever, more the fool you. Point remains the same:

Des inherited a dump of a backline (then released others , without adequate replacement).

It's going to be a very tough season, (some highs I'm sure, some lows as well).

That being said, the proof is in the pudding. Hopefully I AM wrong and Tedesco, Mitchell, Tupou, Cronk, Keary, Morris, Manu, Hall, Lamb & others get smashed by Parker, Suli, Elliott, Taufua, Garrick, Elgey, DCE, Turbo and others.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8