PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Broncos [Round 10, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ouch, Carrigan is a massive out for the Broncs. They are struggling to find a Captain as well.

But they still have TPJ and Haas (one of those with be captain imo), and some of their halves are finally finding their mojo. Staggs might be back in, and he's a handful.

I said it earlier in another thread - we haven't lost to a team below us on the ladder yet, and that is the way it needs to continue to get out of this logjam of mediocrity currently occupying positions 6 through 12.

Roosters and Rabbits are on the injury-slide, and with our draw (and a Brown-less Eels the week after magic round) we can make a huge charge up the table now, and start pressing for the top-4. Sounds crazy hey! But the draw can work out that way if those injuries start seeing some upsets, and we keep finding ways to win.

I suspect the bottom 4 right now may be the bottom 4 teams come end of the season - so a clinical display is needed this weekend. If we touch up the Broncos and they drop back to 15th on F/A then the blowtorch is back on them in a big way - they will be desperate, they will get help from a parochial Qld crowd, the inevitable bias from officials to smooth over the 50/50s to keep the Broncos in the game as long as possible, and the lack of practice / success we have shown in night-time games might sting us - but if we complete our sets and dominate the middle the Broncs will have no answers.

This is a very nice problem for Manly to have - thanks Frank for putting this up to the Forum. I am certain Dessie will be up all night refreshing the page grabbing all our opinions so he makes the right decisions.

Now, my 2c on this one:

Siro: He has been out for so long I'd have him in Blacktown for a week to get a run rather than throw him into the Broncos cauldron. They are going to play fast and hard on Friday and I don't think Siro will be up to the pace.

Tapau: Straight in baby - he has been super lately. Keppie to the bench to come in with his workrate. Cust out for this week.

Walker: Blacktown bench to prove himself all over again.

Suli: Stays on the bench as a utility back or forward.

Tafua: Where is he?. Needs weeks at Blacktown but I hope his champion qualities get him back in first grade.

Suli, Sadler, Sipley and Keppie warm the bench. Sadler really surprised me at how solid and strong he was during his limited minutes. He needs to stay in and develop!.

NYEagle
My 2C or 1.55C USD ,i agree with everything NYE except the bench s/b Sippers,Tapu,Saddler and Cust ,let all the injured guys come back thru BWSE ,I just cant see after 4 or 5 weeks out Siro being an upgrade on anyone on that bench ATM.

Ouch, Carrigan is a massive out for the Broncs. They are struggling to find a Captain as well.

But they still have TPJ and Haas (one of those with be captain imo), and some of their halves are finally finding their mojo. Staggs might be back in, and he's a handful.

I said it earlier in another thread - we haven't lost to a team below us on the ladder yet, and that is the way it needs to continue to get out of this logjam of mediocrity currently occupying positions 6 through 12.

Roosters and Rabbits are on the injury-slide, and with our draw (and a Brown-less Eels the week after magic round) we can make a huge charge up the table now, and start pressing for the top-4. Sounds crazy hey! But the draw can work out that way if those injuries start seeing some upsets, and we keep finding ways to win.

I suspect the bottom 4 right now may be the bottom 4 teams come end of the season - so a clinical display is needed this weekend. If we touch up the Broncos and they drop back to 15th on F/A then the blowtorch is back on them in a big way - they will be desperate, they will get help from a parochial Qld crowd, the inevitable bias from officials to smooth over the 50/50s to keep the Broncos in the game as long as possible, and the lack of practice / success we have shown in night-time games might sting us - but if we complete our sets and dominate the middle the Broncs will have no answers.
I’m not quite as optimistic as you to think that top 4 is possible, but I’m definitely eyeing down 6th place!

It really all comes down to completing our sets. We handed the Warriors too many chances on the weekend. If we complete at 85% we’ll have way more strike power to score tries than the Donkeys

So you say Sipley back to Blacktown in order for Siro to come back after a 6 week injury & unfit? Doubt it’ll happen mate....Sipley is a must on the bench! I don’t think Siro will be risked & will have to make his way thru Blacktown.
Hope you are right but I reckon Des is playing Sips out of necessity myself...

Des resisted until he had no choice and Sirro has been sh*t for a looong time imo...

I saw the Broncos Cows game, turned it on just to have a quick look but ended up watching it because it was quite a good game. Both sides definitely improved on their past mediocre form.
I'm hoping the close defeat was a crushing blow to the Broncs morale, and throw in the loss of Carrigan and they are ripe for a heavy defeat on Friday. Good times!

If there was ever a sign that a player is surplus to requirements it was Suli not being used at all. He will be first dropped from the 17. Saddler is 2nd inline to be dropped, after playing token minutes and getting hooked pretty quickly. Marty replacing Suli will be the only change IMO. Siro for Saddler in round 11.

In other round 10 changes.. Pat carrigan has torn his ACL and Brisbane will be forced to change their pack around. This is a big out in my opinion.. he is the pack workhorse. The glue. The gates should open in the middle for us now.. turbo for another display im predicting

This could be 38 all with 10 minutes to go..! I don't think either side look great from a defensive point of view. DCE to nail a last minute field goal to win..!

Hope you are right but I reckon Des is playing Sips out of necessity myself...

Des resisted until he had no choice and Sirro has been sh*t for a looong time imo...
I don’t understand that, are you saying that Des has an issue with Sippers? I agree with what you’ve said but what I don’t get is why Des would have any hesitation playing him especially with Aloiai out, surely he is a must, anyone with eyes can see what sip brings to our game and as his fitness continues to improves so will his impact, if his not in our front row rotation it would be plain outright stupidity.

I don’t understand that, are you saying that Des has an issue with Sippers? I agree with what you’ve said but what I don’t get is why Des would have any hesitation playing him especially with Aloiai out, surely he is a must, anyone with eyes can see what sip brings to our game and as his fitness continues to improves so will his impact, if his not in our front row rotation it would be plain outright stupidity.
I think that it has been clear that Tof has had something to offer since the games he played in 2019 yet Des resisted playing him last year - even when we lost 11 of our last 12 games...

I love what he has bought and I have wanted him back in our side for a long time... I am just not sure Des feels the same....

Thought I saw Staggs did his Hammy on top of the injury he had (acl?) so not another 4 weeks of so?

I’m not the biggest fan of Sirro either as he stifles our attack but he gets through a lot of work and I think would be a great bench option covering both 2row, and what I consider him today a better fit, at lock.

He’d be an upgradeo n Saddler (ability and versatility) but unfit so would be happy to see him out in blacktown for a week or two. He is a leader and brings experience.

Just hope Paseka and Taupau are both playing. Will need them v Haas & TPJ.

What I think will be the starting side if Tent is ok to play.

Tom
Saab
Harper
Parker
Garrick
Foz
DCE
Jake
Schu
Guac
Keppie
Frog
Tent

Cust
Marty
Sipley
Suli (can't understand his inclusion last week but Des is unlikely to change it)

I would prefer Zac to Suli.

If Tent is out, Marty to start and Zac and Suli on the bench. (I would prefer Horhay takes Suli's spot...he has had a couple of games at BWSE.)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8