PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Dragons v Manly [Round 9, 2020]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We should be able to get them up the middle. Really need to keep a lid on their kicking game, some more pressure from marker would go a long way to winning this one. Effort, run onto the ball hard and bend the line to let DCE work his magic. Don't let Aitken tear us apart again.
Fortunately for garrick/funa/jorge they have just about the worst kicking game in the comp. Their outside backs aren't too special so I think this will have to be a game won in the middle. They have a very strong middle for a team that has been as poor as them this year, with vaughan and mcinnes now taking that lock role for probably 80 minutes.

Even looking at our depleted backline they have no stars, at least we have DCE. Suli and Garrick would make their side too. Need a huge match from Jake & Marty, and need Keppie and Paseka to step up and support them.

Also fear Dragons given our atrocious record against them the last few years. They have played ok against Roosters and Raiders so will be tough to beat at Kogarah.
As others have mentioned, we can defend, but where do our points come from?
Our points will come when we improve on our discipline and ball control .
Plenty of points there !

AFB is head and shoulders our best forward, probably best prop in NRL.Massive loss.Throw in our best three attacking players warming the bench. Can’t see a win unfortunately. Bench adds nothing right now as well. Depth is killing us with three million dollar players -two out of form and one injured regularly.

The upside of a few losses may be that some of our young guys get a go at back end of season.

Manly will hang in there and hope that saints butcher themselves in a tight game. We are very scrappy.

that cowboys utility has some footy in him and was off contract. Asiata or similar. Only seen a handful of games mainly against us , not sure of his defence

Ultimately to score points you have to make breaks
Tom, dylan are the only ones that try to make something happen
Suli can but gets poor service and never gets a chance really
Garricks trying to learn to inject

Levi is a passer, as is dce, so jake is an offering to ensure we dont run one out
Then we have the no passers,

The rest pretty much look for the collision except for sirro who Seems to have found a niche with the inside jink, that isnt all that threatening

And i presume because off ball security our offloads seem down

We are literally looking for the opposition to fall over in front of us . A rainy track and the opposition wearing short studs seems to be our best shot
But we dont like the wet, yucky

We struggle in wet weather because wet weather requires good game management and we have been lacking that for some time. Errors Is another critical factor that brings us undone and I agree that our off loads have diminished and I suspect that has been under instruction. A wet slippery track requires error free tough footy and a well executed and disciplined game plan. It’s not rocket science just complete your sets and kick into corners. Stop whinging trying to win a penalty just keep rolling. We need to play well enough to overcome poor refereeing decisions that give our opposition a leg up. Time to get into the zone.

I think this game is likely to be a grind. Wet weather threatening, both teams clunky with the ball it is likely to be a dour struggle so basics are paramount. I would hope that this has to be the final game where if things dont change we see some changes to our side. We are so far the top clubs in relation to creativity and strike. Defensively we match them all the way and hold our own but to win big games consistently we need our halves and 9 to really step up and control games. This game is very winnable. We must start well and break the habit of being behind on the scoreboard and having to fight back into a game, it just saps the energy and this week really needs to be about discipline. With and without the ball and also how we handle any dud calls, leave it to DCE to chat to the ref!

I think this game is likely to be a grind. Wet weather threatening, both teams clunky with the ball it is likely to be a dour struggle so basics are paramount. I would hope that this has to be the final game where if things dont change we see some changes to our side. We are so far the top clubs in relation to creativity and strike. Defensively we match them all the way and hold our own but to win big games consistently we need our halves and 9 to really step up and control games. This game is very winnable. We must start well and break the habit of being behind on the scoreboard and having to fight back into a game, it just saps the energy and this week really needs to be about discipline. With and without the ball and also how we handle any dud calls, leave it to DCE to chat to the ref!

So after another ( inevitable I feel) loss where to from here??

Can’t win without Tom and he’s out for at least another 6 weeks.

Do we just have to accept it’s just not our year and plod on to the fight between the bottom 4 or do we chuck some of the young guys in to see if that adds any spark ??

Just knowing Des as we all do the latter is very very unlikely!!

So after another ( inevitable I feel) loss where to from here??

Can’t win without Tom and he’s out for at least another 6 weeks.

Do we just have to accept it’s just not our year and plod on to the fight between the bottom 4 or do we chuck some of the young guys in to see if that adds any spark ??

Just knowing Des as we all do the latter is very very unlikely!!
I dont think its as dire as that.I think the team needst to modify its game as we adjust to life without Tom at full back. Last week we saw a few bombs that actually created chances for us and that needs to be used tomorrow.

It may not well be our year as this is a unique one. It might be that a team from the lower half of the 8 is successful as it will come down to the teams that are relatively injury free. No byes this year so its going to be a season of endurance.

Manly have a decent defence apart from dealing with attacking kicks and our attack needs to play more percentage play.

I would hope that if things dont improve that we see some changes especially guys who can create as that is our biggest issue without our best 1, 6 and limited options at 9.

I think this game is likely to be a grind. Wet weather threatening, both teams clunky with the ball it is likely to be a dour struggle so basics are paramount. Defensively we match them all the way and hold our own but to win big games consistently we need our halves and 9 to really step up and control games. This game is very winnable. We must start well and break the habit of being behind on the scoreboard and having to fight back into a game, it just saps the energy and this week really needs to be about discipline. With and without the ball and also how we handle any dud calls, leave it to DCE to chat to the ref!
Well said and I agree its going to be a dour struggle in the wet. If we can start well, we're in with a chance. Points will be at a premium and I hope Reuben has the right kicking boots on!

Really hoping for a few last min changes before kick off..... currently watching the replay of our game v Raiders to manifest another gutsy performance like that tomorrow lol...

I dont think its as dire as that.I think the team needst to modify its game as we adjust to life without Tom at full back. Last week we saw a few bombs that actually created chances for us and that needs to be used tomorrow.

It may not well be our year as this is a unique one. It might be that a team from the lower half of the 8 is successful as it will come down to the teams that are relatively injury free. No byes this year so its going to be a season of endurance.

Manly have a decent defence apart from dealing with attacking kicks and our attack needs to play more percentage play.

I would hope that if things dont improve that we see some changes especially guys who can create as that is our biggest issue without our best 1, 6 and limited options at 9.
There’s been some good signs in the last two games but what worries me most is just around the corner are the top sides again and if we continue losing against these lower sides any confidence we currently have will surely be gone by the time we face the top 2 in a few weeks.

I’m sadly a glass half empty sort of guy when it comes to Manly in this modern era as I find being optimistic and then getting shot down in flames when they lose so depressing.

AFB is head and shoulders our best forward, probably best prop in NRL.Massive loss.Throw in our best three attacking players warming the bench. Can’t see a win unfortunately. Bench adds nothing right now as well. Depth is killing us with three million dollar players -two out of form and one injured regularly.

The upside of a few losses may be that some of our young guys get a go at back end of season.

Newcastle are one of the best teams atm in the league (and we probably could have won). We aren't as far off as people think atm in my opinion. It's just that expectations are very high, because of our improvement, and performances, and back-to-back losses don't sit well with fans.

I have faith we'll come good, and quite shortly.

There’s been some good signs in the last two games but what worries me most is just around the corner are the top sides again and if we continue losing against these lower sides any confidence we currently have will surely be gone by the time we face the top 2 in a few weeks.

I’m sadly a glass half empty sort of guy when it comes to Manly in this modern era as I find being optimistic and then getting shot down in flames when they lose so depressing.
I think over the whole season so far there has been one really poor performance against the Sharks.Our other defeats we have been very competitive.

The top 2 are going to be tough to beat, we must play our game and nulify there games, that comes from creating chances in our halves and 9. I think dour football will be the recipe that Des employs as if we play expansive against those sides we are unlikely to match them.

I see this season as one where we continue to build and it really is about some players on notice or they get moved on. We have some outstanding young players waiting for a chance. I hope that we do see some of them get that chance if things do not improve.

Also need to remind people what our full strength team looks like, to remind all how strong we are when and if that happens:

01. Tom Trbojevic / Albert Hopoate
02. Jorge Taufua / Jade Anderson
03. Brad Parker / Ben Trbojevic / Sam Smith
04. Moses Suli / Brendan Elliott
05. Reuben Garrick / Tevita Funa / Abbas Miski
06. Dylan Walker / Cade Cust / Josh Schuster
07. Daly Cherry-Evans / Lachlan Croker / Luke Metcalf
08. Addin Fonua-Blake / Morgan Boyle
09. Manase Fainu
10. Marty Taupau / Toafofoa Sipley
11. Joel Thompson / Zac Saddler
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic / Tony Williams

14. Danny Levi / Edwin Ipape?
15. Taniela Paseka
16. Sean Keppie / Huamole Olakau'atu / Keith Titmuss
17. Corey Waddell / Jack Gosiewski

Bold being the injured, or recently returning from injury

Also need to remind people what our full strength team looks like, to remind all how strong we are when and if that happens:

01. Tom Trbojevic / Albert Hopoate
02. Jorge Taufua / Jade Anderson
03. Brad Parker / Ben Trbojevic / Sam Smith
04. Moses Suli / Brendan Elliott
05. Reuben Garrick / Tevita Funa / Abbas Miski
06. Dylan Walker / Cade Cust / Josh Schuster
07. Daly Cherry-Evans / Lachlan Croker / Luke Metcalf
08. Addin Fonua-Blake / Morgan Boyle
09. Manase Fainu
10. Marty Taupau / Toafofoa Sipley
11. Joel Thompson / Zac Saddler
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic / Tony Williams

14. Danny Levi / Edwin Ipape?
15. Taniela Paseka
16. Sean Keppie / Huamole Olakau'atu / Keith Titmuss
17. Corey Waddell / Jack Gosiewski

Bold being the injured, or recently returning from injury
Yes at full strength we are up there with the best

Ryan, long time no see, good to see you back and hope you’re well

With Tom out, what has surprised me the most is that with Des being such a meticulous planner and Toms injury record, there doesn’t seem to have been a lot of work put into Garrick filling in at the back over the off season

In the set plays where he should be thriving, he is often either not there at all or 2 steps off the pace. If he was on the ball with these he would be using his speed to hit gaps

Last edited:
Ryan, long time no see, good to see you back and hope you’re well

With Tom out, what has surprised me the most is that with Des being such a meticulous planner and Toms injury, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of work put into Garrick filling in at the back over the off season

In the set plays where he should be thriving, he is often either not there at all or 2 steps off the pace. If he was on the ball with these he would be using his speed to hit gaps
And it’s not as if he’s not quick but he just doesn’t seem to understand the positional requirements to be effective.

And it’s not as if he’s not quick but he just doesn’t seem to understand the positional requirements to be effective.

Yeah that’s the strange part, as last season Elliott was always in the right place for those plays but just lacked that bit of instant pace to really capitalise on the opportunities, he saw a lot of open space when filling in last season

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4