PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Dragons v Manly [Round 9, 2020]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Apparently our players in the top 30 that have not been getting game time played a game against Newcastle fringe players at Brookie yesterday and won. A similar match will happen in the next fortnight. So one would hope hoppa, schuster etc had a game and after a few hit outs they will be ready to play NRL. Perhaps Wheel or Mitch can get us a bit of a match report.
Do we have any details on this match other than it was a win? Who played where and how they went etc?

Thanks for the info that a match actually happend...

I guess all we can hope for is that Kennedy doesn't once again Cecchin us!

I was concerned before the sharks game due to the toll of the game against Canberra. I was concerned before the Knights game as with all our outs I thought they had us covered across the park. We got a lot closer than I expected tbh. It was certainly an improvement on the week before.
I'm supremely confident that we have the Dragons covered this week. Go Manly.

I reckon we will get Illawarra, but they always seem to perform well against Manly...even in the Golden era when we dominated the NRL...
They are an abobination and a team that often looks disinterested, though improved last start.
It's the usual basics that are needed - grit, intensity, Attitude and quite simply - run harder and tackle harder than them...but they have a decent pack and will test the middle, particularly with no AFB....Hunt will really apply the acid test in the middle and need Kapow and Jake to dominate this area to get this game done and I have a feel they will.

Last edited:
We have gone through hell by the injustice of the refs decisions
We have gone through hell with injuries
We have gone through hell with suspensions
and the only Way to get out of the pitfalls of hell and back to the top 4
is to keep the faith and maintain our belief courage and resilience and keep going
Keep going all the way to doing what we do best and that is being the Winners that we truly are

The Victorious and famous last words to our boys
from the great leader Winston Churchill
" IF YOU ARE GOING THROUGH HELL . KEEP FCKING GOING !!! "

KEEP GOING AS IT IS THE ONLY WAY OUT AND INTO YOUR SWEET GLORY OF SUCCESS
CC4A5E10-7D6D-4835-9BC8-002EA4CA70A7.jpeg

I can't see how we will outscore Illawarra with the 17 we've selected.
I've lost confidence in our attack and fear Dufty will run riot.

I was concerned before the sharks game due to the toll of the game against Canberra. I was concerned before the Knights game as with all our outs I thought they had us covered across the park. We got a lot closer than I expected tbh. It was certainly an improvement on the week before.
I'm supremely confident that we have the Dragons covered this week. Go Manly.
I love that you are supremely confident, but I don’t share that same confidence and one of the main reasons for that is for whatever reason over the last few years ( or more) we just can’t seem to beat the Dragons.

As absolute **** as they might be they magically lift against us and this game they’ll be even more charged up to do so.

It’s funny but I’m more worried about this particular game than I am about a couple that follow against much higher teams.

We mightn’t drop down any further with a loss but could be 12th next Monday.

Hunt will really apply the acid test
Hunt has a very good long kicking game. Manly will have to counter this to avoid being tied down at the wrong end of the field - our kicking game will need to be spot on. Hopefully, this and other aspects of game management will come together on Sunday evening. A few structured attacking plays in their twenty metre zone would be nice.

I love that you are supremely confident, but I don’t share that same confidence and one of the main reasons for that is for whatever reason over the last few years ( or more) we just can’t seem to beat the Dragons.

As absolute **** as they might be they magically lift against us and this game they’ll be even more charged up to do so.

It’s funny but I’m more worried about this particular game than I am about a couple that follow against much higher teams.

We mightn’t drop down any further with a loss but could be 12th next Monday.

We hardly ever beat the Dragons at full strength...

Their back 3 do not worry me at all.

Just keep kicking to Ravalawa.
He is a dead-set liability for the Dragons with the ball in hand....and without the ball in hand.

And keep Saab upright in the wrestle, and rag-doll him backwards. He runs too upright, a la Garrick, and can be easily contained.

Dufty can hurt you, but can also be a headless chook at times. Take his space away, like we did to Ponga.

Their back 3 do not worry me at all.

Just keep kicking to Ravalawa.
He is a dead-set liability for the Dragons with the ball in hand....and without the ball in hand.

And keep Saab upright in the wrestle, and rag-doll him backwards. He runs too upright, a la Garrick, and can be easily contained.

Dufty can hurt you, but can also be a headless chook at times. Take his space away, like we did to Ponga.
Ravalawas best carries come on play 1 or 2, while the forwards get back. Kick it to him and put him under pressure, we'll get an error or two out of him and Saab/Dufty will struggle on play 1 or 2.

Very worried about the Hunt 9 & McInnes 13 combo. Hunt is a very good hooker definitely natural position and McInnes is a gun. Could be tough in the middle with Vaughan too and Frizell & Sims on the edge...
Des has a history of making late changes on the day to confuse the opposition. Just hope Cust gets 60+ minutes at 6. I think we really need Metcalf or some kind of spark in the 17, even just bringing him off the bench for 20 minutes would be great. We have no spark outside of DCE and maybe Cust...
This will probably be another game where Moses doesn't get much clean ball from DCE and therefore his impact will be limited, considering how strong Dragons 2rows are.
Bogey side too. Fingers crossed, will need a huge game from Marty and Jake. AFB is probably the best player in our team last couple weeks.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6