Poll added - Sea Eagles Everyone in League jersey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

how does this play out?

• the religious 7 ride into the sunset and never play for Manly again

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • the religious 7 are all reinstated next week with no hard feelings

Votes: 132 69.1%
  • Vlandys goes ahead with his Pride Round next year

Votes: 36 18.8%
  • Manly use the Everyone in League jersey forever more

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • one or 2 of the 7 are sacked as ringleaders

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • all or most accept some enlightenment on the issue and will wear the jersey in future

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Manly never mention Everyone in League again...

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • Several players sek immediate release from Manly

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we stop calling it a pride jersey. As per the original media alert not once was pride, sexuality or anything else mentioned. It was called Everyone in League jersey. The reason behind it, everybody is included in League.

Yes we all know that the rainbow colours have a multitude of meanings. But the only meaning given for this is inclusiveness.

So as had been mentioned. What are the 7s beliefs? As by refusing to wear it, the message they are sending is they don't believe everyone should be included in League.

Yes they have their right to their beliefs. But when their belief is that parts of the population should be excluded?

I think Ian Roberts summed it up best. He said something like, i can respect their right to make this decision, but i don't have to respect the decision they made.

What will be interesting is if these 7 are resigned in the future, as rightly or wrongly, it will be viewed that by extending their contracts manly is accepting of these beliefs.

Would be nice if any of those 7 or others reached out and shared their compelling beliefs with us fans..l

Would be nice if any of those 7 or others reached out and shared their compelling beliefs with us fans..l
We all know it will never happen. They aren't even turning up to watch tomorrow. Will be pumped by 40+, the least they can do is witness what the first repercussion to their choice is.

What will be interesting is if these 7 are resigned in the future, as rightly or wrongly, it will be viewed that by extending their contracts manly is accepting of these beliefs.
I honestly don't care about their beliefs. I have friends who hold diverging beliefs to me and that is not a problem. When we can accept individual differences of others, our hearts become softer & happier.

A footballer's main work is on the football field & these players are all very good at this. In future when they do work in the community, they will likely be asked questions & challenged about their beliefs - this could be a good thing.

Last year, we had a couple of players who were reticent about covid vaccination. They weren't pressured about this by the club or the NRL and eventually made the decision to vaccinate on their own.

It's unfortunate that there wasn't the same approach with the jersey. The powers that be didn't exercise enough sensitivity and didn't enter into timely dialogue with these players. Instead the jersey situation was thrust on them with virtually no notice. There wasn't sufficient time to ruminate facts, to ponder deeply or to consider possible consequences of actions.

Last edited:
Will be pumped by 40+, the least they can do is witness what the first repercussion to their choice is.
The police have advised Manly that the seven players shouldn't attend the game tomorrow. Apparently, there has been threats made against Josh Aloiai on social media.

It's 2022. No one is excluded. Stop the self pity.

It's 2022 and today in this thread alone, one forum poster unapologetically posted on a public internet forum - and I quote verbatim - "I don't feel comfortable around gay or bisexual men".

One does wonder how many other people in the rugby league community, or maybe even reading this forum, have similar prejudices but have the better sense not to explicitly type it out and publish it on the internet.

You can at least see how it would be problematic for a young LGBTQ+ person growing up in an environment with people who have these kind of prejudices, right?

It's 2022 and today in this thread alone, one forum poster unapologetically posted on a public internet forum - and I quote verbatim - "I don't feel comfortable around gay or bisexual men".

One does wonder how many other people in the rugby league community, or maybe even reading this forum, have similar prejudices but have the better sense not to explicitly type it out and publish it on the internet.

You can at least see how it would be problematic for a young LGBTQ+ person growing up in an environment with people who have these kind of prejudices, right?
And that's coming from a ranga scotsman.

Dan can I triple winner a post?

Some wise words of Foz' Mum.

1658955748388.png

Quick point. All those up in arms about Josh Aloiai receiving death threats (unacceptable) and being warned to stay away by police might spare a thought for the countless gay men, women, girls, and boys who have been murdered for their sexuality and for those same souls in decades past who have barely received a police investigation to find the perpetrators.
The right for all to live safely is surely what this is about.

Quick point. All those up in arms about Josh Aloiai receiving death threats (unacceptable) and being warned to stay away by police might spare a thought for the countless gay men, women, girls, and boys who have been murdered for their sexuality and for those same souls in decades past who have barely received a police investigation to find the perpetrators.
Woah Aloiai recieved death threats? That is no good.

I disagree and are dissapointed with the 7s views and stance but nobody out there should be threatening violence etc

So what was the solution then?
Mate, I honestly think the only solution going forward is to make it clear that a jersey is a jersey and nothing more. All it does is indicate which team you play for. It is not a representation or platform for individual opinion or expression. Yes, a jersey also carries sponsors' logos and occasionally might be used to promote one-off events or social causes, but it does that on behalf of the team or the NRL, not the individual. The player wearing the jersey is supporting his team and nothing more.

I said this in another thread, but up until this week, nobody ever thought that what was on a jersey represented the player wearing it as an individual, or that players wearing a jersey were individually endorsing sponsors and their products and services. So why has that changed?

I am not having a go at you or trying to bait anyone,to me it is ironic that they are receiving death threats from people wanting tolerance and claiming to be tolerant.
I am truly saddened to hear of your life experience with your family.
I was placed in a situation where I was forced to make a choice that was difficult for me.
My sister has 2 daughters(my nieces who I love very much),one has recently expressed that she identifies as a male and is in the process of looking to transgender(apologies if not the right phrase) and the second identifies as bisexual.
My wife has some strong religious beliefs as she is hispanic from central america and deviation from the norm is not accepted at all(very machismo society etc..)
I did not know her strong feelings towards the subject when we first met and it would not have made any difference as I love her more than life itself.
My wife has issues with our young children being around my nieces and no matter how much discussion and talking/arguing will her mind be changed.You cannot undo 4 decades of going through life being told that a certain way of life is correct by religion and then just change your view.
It was a heartbreaking situation to be put in as I was forced to have to make a decision as what to do and I chose my wife and children over my sisters family.It was my choice and I own it but it still weighs heavily on me.
My sister hates my choice but comes to accept that I made a choice for what I felt was best for me.
My 2 nieces don't wish to have anything to do with me now and I know how psychologically fragile the one who is looking to transgender is and I stress that I am adding to that even though I stress to my sister and my mother that I still love and care for them very much.

I am not having a go at you or trying to bait anyone,to me it is ironic that they are receiving death threats from people wanting tolerance and claiming to be tolerant.
I am truly saddened to hear of your life experience with your family.
I was placed in a situation where I was forced to make a choice that was difficult for me.
My sister has 2 daughters(my nieces who I love very much),one has recently expressed that she identifies as a male and is in the process of looking to transgender(apologies if not the right phrase) and the second identifies as bisexual.
My wife has some strong religious beliefs as she is hispanic from central america and deviation from the norm is not accepted at all(very machismo society etc..)
I did not know her strong feelings towards the subject when we first met and it would not have made any difference as I love her more than life itself.
My wife has issues with our young children being around my nieces and no matter how much discussion and talking/arguing will her mind be changed.You cannot undo 4 decades of going through life being told that a certain way of life is correct by religion and then just change your view.
It was a heartbreaking situation to be put in as I was forced to have to make a decision as what to do and I chose my wife and children over my sisters family.It was my choice and I own it but it still weighs heavily on me.
My sister hates my choice but comes to accept that I made a choice for what I felt was best for me.
My 2 nieces don't wish to have anything to do with me now and I know how psychologically fragile the one who is looking to transgender is and I stress that I am adding to that even though I stress to my sister and my mother that I still love and care for them very much.
My heart goes out to you Joe. As you know this stuff is done in micro millimetres. The Suffragettes started their struggle for women's rights in 1903 and many would say women are still not considered equal (women's round, I see the irony here too) to this day. But we have come a LONG way.
Mardi Gras began in 1978 after police arrested gay people here in Sydney and that was 9 years after police raided the Stonewall bar in NYC, kicking off a similar movement. I kinda thought the acceptance of gay marriage put the whole struggle to bed but the religious reaction to this jersey proves otherwise.
And as for the whole trans thing, sheesh that's another whole bucket of worms, one that will take many twists and turns and play out in society over the decades to come.
To my mind you're absolutely right to be hurt but not angry at your wife. It very much mimics my relationship with my mother. When she rejected me, many told me to just walk away. But I absolutely could not because I saw all the good in her, and had felt all the love from her. So I just tried to understand this woman who had been born in (then) country Campbelltown in 1930, had had her own massive struggles, and who had only every been taught that gay people were wrong, filthy. To her knowledge, she had never come across a gay person (closets presumably) to alter her thinking.

I just kept chipping away and bit by bit the world changed and one day, believe it or not, she was at a Beccy Cole concert at the Tamworth Country Music festival when some of her mates started sniping and snickering about Beccy being gay when Mum finally broke through her struggle of acceptance and explained that her own daughter was gay and that was perfectly fine. Knock me down with a feather.

My point is that you can never be angry or upset with anyone for ignorance. Ignorance just means they haven't been introduced to something or had the time for that something to infiltrate their own life experience.

Like you, I don't blame your wife nor do I blame the seven boys who will not play for their beliefs. I am saddened by it but it all takes time. A long time.

I hope, over time your wife starts to see it all differently. You're a good man Joe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8