Please, please Trent... Pick Tom Wright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Let the figures demonstrate that T Wright and DCE were defending as part of a pack because of their assigned field positions and the other 5 were defending out wide, mostly on their own, hence their higher missed-tackle rate.

On the contrary being closer to the centre means they face some of the hardest defence, often against forwards. The backs out wide have an easier job of covering the smaller men and usually have more time to prepare for them coming. That's why the best defenders are in the forwards and at half and five eighth

On the contrary being closer to the centre means they face some of the hardest defence, often against forwards. The backs out wide have an easier job of covering the smaller men and usually have more time to prepare for them coming. That's why the best defenders are in the forwards and at half and five eighth

You can twist it as much as you like buddy but it's much easier to tackle the likes if Cordner as 1 of 3 than L Mitchell on your own.

I will agree to disagree on the way you use the statistics in this case and after seeing quite a bit of Tom I have noticed he has trouble 1 on 1 with fast, agile backs.

But hey, most do.

You can twist it as much as you like buddy but it's much easier to tackle the likes if Cordner as 1 of 3 than L Mitchell on your own.

I will agree to disagree on the way you use the statistics in this case and after seeing quite a bit of Tom I have noticed he has trouble 1 on 1 with fast, agile backs.

But hey, most do.

You're right. We'll agree to disagree. Forwards have to face fast backs also. At Manly DCE is the fastest player over 20 metres. Api is very quick as hooker. And they are in the centre of the action. Its easier to herd a player in one direction, where they will generally run, than in the middle, where they have to always be aware of two directions a player may run

I've always maintained that Tom Wright's problem is not so much his defence (I'll admit he is grabby ad this doesn't always work), but its his willingness to attack the line, show aggressiveness in his attack, use his skills more than a couple of times a game. I sometimes think he still is playing touch footie, or Union 7s or 9s. He strikes me as being tentative, and gets lost in the line because he's not prepared to take the game by the neck. This guy has the skills of Ponga, but Ponga believes in himself, takes the line on over and again, makes things happen. Tom seems to be waiting for things to happen for him. To put it bluntly ( and I hope he's reading this but I doubt he would) he's a player with championship skills, and school boy thinking.

This is the great misnomer about Tom Wright. He's bamed for poor defence and yet

Yet again we read that his defence is not up to standard, but where does this come from. Its been stated therefore it must be true, is that how it workks. Yet in the past two games he was equal second best in the back line

Tom T 8 tackles one missed tackle
Matt Wright 5 tackles four missed tackles
Suli 19 tackles 6 missed tackles
Kelly 15 Tackles 5 missed tackles
Parker 17 tackles 6 missed tackles
Tom Wright 16 tackles 2 missed tackles
DCE 21 tackles 1 missed tackle

So where does this suggest Tom Wright is a poor defender. Poppycock. Of course some will say he positions himself poorly but that's just trying to find fault in the kid. He's not perfect but in the last game he missed two tackles. Two others missed 5, two others missed 3, Tom Wright missed two.

Let the figures demonstrate his performance, not a stereotyped comment based on people saying a few years back that he couldn't tackle.

Only counts as a miss when you get a hand on the player.

I've always maintained that Tom Wright's problem is not so much his defence (I'll admit he is grabby ad this doesn't always work), but its his willingness to attack the line, show aggressiveness in his attack, use his skills more than a couple of times a game. I sometimes think he still is playing touch footie, or Union 7s or 9s. He strikes me as being tentative, and gets lost in the line because he's not prepared to take the game by the neck. This guy has the skills of Ponga, but Ponga believes in himself, takes the line on over and again, makes things happen. Tom seems to be waiting for things to happen for him. To put it bluntly ( and I hope he's reading this but I doubt he would) he's a player with championship skills, and school boy thinking.

He didn't look interested at all in taking the line on last weekend and without that he offers very little.

Hopefully he can get some confidence and back himself more.

At risk of backsliding into actual opinion on rugby league ... Tom Wright got blamed for leaving a big gap in the ruck that led to a roosters easy try.

However there should have been a prop and hooker there defending that yawning gap, and probably another marker. Don’t blame him, he was defending at the right spot for a 5/8.

The forwards were not in position all day.

**** knows what Barrett is doing with that side of the coaching. So many players out of position.

Aggghhh I’m back on the rant treadmill!!!!

Ps kelly is clearly a 5/8 dressed up as a centre. Saints are laughing that we took Thompson, Suli is a winger, walker is unlikely to string 2 games together ever again, the new hooker is a child.

10 park footballers are relying on dce, Jake and Tom to do everything.

Help me @mozgrame i feel like a reformed addict falling off the wagon.

Only counts as a miss when you get a hand on the player.

Bingo.

I think the kid has a great future and has plenty of talent.

But I am quite frankly stunned anyone can say he does not have major defensive issues. The Roosters had a very clear game plan to target him.

A stint back in reserves to work on it is what he needs.

Kelly is a great centre not a 6 just because he has skills and can step I don't understand that call from everyone. Thompson has been pretty good to be honest, he has experience and he is always lifting the boys with aggression. Walker is not done. This rant is pure emotion. Sorry mate can't agree with it.

Bingo.

I think the kid has a great future and has plenty of talent.

But I am quite frankly stunned anyone can say he does not have major defensive issues. The Roosters had a very clear game plan to target him.

A stint back in reserves to work on it is what he needs.

Two missed tackles in two games. You cant blame him for not covering players out of his reach. The side should have had markers covering all potential gaps. It didn''t as shown by the number of missed tackles in the backline or are we blaming those on Wright as well?

At risk of backsliding into actual opinion on rugby league ... Tom Wright got blamed for leaving a big gap in the ruck that led to a roosters easy try.

However there should have been a prop and hooker there defending that yawning gap, and probably another marker. Don’t blame him, he was defending at the right spot for a 5/8.

The forwards were not in position all day.

**** knows what Barrett is doing with that side of the coaching. So many players out of position.

Aggghhh I’m back on the rant treadmill!!!!

Ps kelly is clearly a 5/8 dressed up as a centre. Saints are laughing that we took Thompson, Suli is a winger, walker is unlikely to string 2 games together ever again, the new hooker is a child.

10 park footballers are relying on dce, Jake and Tom to do everything.

Help me @mozgrame i feel like a reformed addict falling off the wagon.

Great assessment! Right on the money.

I have been thinking of Kelly as a 5/8 as well. I'm over the tired old belief that you need 1 attacking half and 1 organising half. I like the idea of 2 attacking halves. It worked great for Qld and we already have the Qld 7. A 5/8 with some toe is a great asset to have. I think Kelly could style his game on Munster who we should remember is originally a fullback.

Give it a crack, Trent!

Oh, and don't worry about the the slip, mate. Wagons were built for blokes like you and I to fall off!

Seriously happy to see that TB is open to the idea of blooding these kids tho because the last thing I want to see is another Gutherson or Warea-Hargraves type situation - give them a chance to earn a contract with us (particularly in the situation we have had foisted upon us) or another team will poach them for next-to-nothing... GO MANLY...

I'm not one to say I told you so so 'Thanks a f***ing lot Twent' will have to do I guess...

I'm not one to say I told you so so 'Thanks a f***ing lot Twent' will have to do I guess...

Can't blame Trent mate. This should all be being handled by a recruitment / list manager. Yet Gorman has had applications on his desk for months, and absolutely 0 to show for it.

Can't blame Trent mate. This should all be being handled by a recruitment / list manager. Yet Gorman has had applications on his desk for months, and absolutely 0 to show for it.
Not just Twent But he had more than enough opportunity to give the kid more gametime and show him a future at the club imo

Mate he was contracted for next year so it's not like anyone poached him - we released him to Rugby. Anyway given Trent is most likely not here next year I don't see how this has anything to do with him. Wright had his chances, he's been here 3 years already. Not sure on details but I'm guessing that there wasn't overwhelming interest from any NRL sides. Maybe they agreed to a release based on fact he was going to Rugby, at least we aren't carrying any of his contract moving forward so we can invest elsewhere. I don't think it'll be a decision we'll live to regret.

This is the great misnomer about Tom Wright. He's bamed for poor defence and yet

Yet again we read that his defence is not up to standard, but where does this come from. Its been stated therefore it must be true, is that how it workks. Yet in the past two games he was equal second best in the back line

Tom T 8 tackles one missed tackle
Matt Wright 5 tackles four missed tackles
Suli 19 tackles 6 missed tackles
Kelly 15 Tackles 5 missed tackles
Parker 17 tackles 6 missed tackles
Tom Wright 16 tackles 2 missed tackles
DCE 21 tackles 1 missed tackle

So where does this suggest Tom Wright is a poor defender. Poppycock. Of course some will say he positions himself poorly but that's just trying to find fault in the kid. He's not perfect but in the last game he missed two tackles. Two others missed 5, two others missed 3, Tom Wright missed two.

Let the figures demonstrate his performance, not a stereotyped comment based on people saying a few years back that he couldn't tackle.

I see the sense you make here feathered friend . Tom has played one NRL game and made one missed tackle and the same people that are saying how Tom cant defend they have been defending some of our backs that have proved to be very poor defenders all season .
I think this is funny lol

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10