Please, please Trent... Pick Tom Wright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Athletically Tom Wright is top shelf, and I haven't seen anything myself to suggest mental weakness.
Personally I suspect it is simply a case of not yet having a feel for rugby league, and the higher the level the more that is being exposed.
We do need to persevere with him though. I'm sure he himself has a little more patience than a few of our more strident fans, who thought he was ready to save our bacon.

... there is a difference between mental toughness and mental weakness ...... but I am probably talking more about the grit that comes from mental maturity .... this is especially difficult for an age grade star to develop .. you go from cutting teams to shreds every 5 minutes, every week ....... to having to grind and plug for 79 minutes for one or two moments of brilliance ......

He has time and talent on his side ....... remember the great Cliffy Lyons didn't debut until he was 24 years old .... and that worked out OK. ...

Give him a break, he's played a few games off the bench. No reason to get too excited either way just yet.

• 🤝
Reactions: lsz
Who are the best players in our team currently............none of them! The kid is copping it for the slack performance of all the other players not just his own. For all the hype about Tom T he's done nothing lately other than play well in SOO. The whole back line is average, yet M Wright & B Parker are rarely mentioned. He comes into a team that is getting hammered week in, week out & we all expect him to be the messiah. How can you play well when the rest are playing like $hit......stick the kid in the Storm side or Rabbitohs or Dragons & it would be totally different. Sorry Disco I just get annoyed that anyone we sign gets bagged & is not good enough to play for Manly.

Are you saying who played well on the weekend or who are the best players in the team??? Because I though Turbo and Kelly played ok........not much else. But best players in the team are Tom, Jake, DCE, Walker, Marty, AFB and Api imo............are you saying Tom is as good a player as those guys?

Pretty much nobody played well on the weekend and a quick peruse of the forum will show nearly everyone is copping it........you point out Parker and M Wright which confuses me as from the posts I read they cop it significantly more then Tom Wright does

And that therein is the crux of my post, not that Tom has no future or cost us the game, but that most here give him far more leeway than many others in fact a lot have been championing him as a solution to all our problems...he is not, he is a talented youngster that will hopefully develop into a contributing player for Manly, maybe even a star

Also not sure your point on the last line.....we signed Tom three seasons back so don't think anyone is bagging him as a "signing"...................also you bag Matt Wright who we also signed................I'm just a bit lost on what you are implying there

Are you saying who played well on the weekend or who are the best players in the team??? Because I though Turbo and Kelly played ok........not much else. But best players in the team are Tom, Jake, DCE, Walker, Marty, AFB and Api imo............are you saying Tom is as good a player as those guys?

Pretty much nobody played well on the weekend and a quick peruse of the forum will show nearly everyone is copping it........you point out Parker and M Wright which confuses me as from the posts I read they cop it significantly more then Tom Wright does

And that therein is the crux of my post, not that Tom has no future or cost us the game, but that most here give him far more leeway than many others in fact a lot have been championing him as a solution to all our problems...he is not, he is a talented youngster that will hopefully develop into a contributing player for Manly, maybe even a star

Also not sure your point on the last line.....we signed Tom three seasons back so don't think anyone is bagging him as a "signing"...................also you bag Matt Wright who we also signed................I'm just a bit lost on what you are implying there
I'm speaking in general terms Disco.........I never said TW was as good a player as the guys on your list but apart from Marty i don't think any of them are playing as a 'better player' at this time. Anyone new to the team gets bagged. TW, Suli, Thompson. Any signings we make & they get bagged.....Sironen, Lane, Perrett, Hodkinson etc. In any case i can see us losing good young players if not blooded & given an opportunity. Everyone wants TW back in NSW Cup yet how many games was Croker afforded to show what he can do. TW gets two & a half. I guess i'm just over this team & the $hi# they produce week in week out.

I think the thing that stood out for me was how slow was Hodgkinson? I don't mind the young fellows making errors as it is experience. As long as they learn from it. Trent was right in the preso when he said the performance was men versus boys....

Can Kelly kick?

Genuine question as we must have 2 kickers minimum or 5th tackle options are too easy to close down (charge at DCE).

One of our big issues on Sunday, they completely nullified us by shutting down Cherry from the very first set!!

I’d like to see this kid work really hard in the offseason. He should try and put on some muscle, bulk up but not too much. He needs to find a mentor to teach him a bit about defensive positioning, structures and working as a unit on the edge. He has the running game but could also polish up his passing and kicking to make it hard to take a spot off of him in the 17.

Review a bit of old Cliffy tape on putting blokes through holes, try and emulate the K Foz straighten up to draw and pass at the line and maybe work with DCE on tackling and wrestling (always hard for a half but DCE is amongst the best at it).

He has all the talent, it’s up to him to dedicate himself to his craft and work hard.

I am a massive fan of this kid!! I see the talent but what must improve if he is to take the next step is he must improve his defence!! He is a work in progress and I feel that 2019 is a make or break year for him!

I am a massive fan of this kid!! I see the talent but what must improve if he is to take the next step is he must improve his defence!! He is a work in progress and I feel that 2019 is a make or break year for him!

This is the great misnomer about Tom Wright. He's bamed for poor defence and yet

Yet again we read that his defence is not up to standard, but where does this come from. Its been stated therefore it must be true, is that how it workks. Yet in the past two games he was equal second best in the back line

Tom T 8 tackles one missed tackle
Matt Wright 5 tackles four missed tackles
Suli 19 tackles 6 missed tackles
Kelly 15 Tackles 5 missed tackles
Parker 17 tackles 6 missed tackles
Tom Wright 16 tackles 2 missed tackles
DCE 21 tackles 1 missed tackle

So where does this suggest Tom Wright is a poor defender. Poppycock. Of course some will say he positions himself poorly but that's just trying to find fault in the kid. He's not perfect but in the last game he missed two tackles. Two others missed 5, two others missed 3, Tom Wright missed two.

Let the figures demonstrate his performance, not a stereotyped comment based on people saying a few years back that he couldn't tackle.

This is the great misnomer about Tom Wright. He's bamed for poor defence and yet

Yet again we read that his defence is not up to standard, but where does this come from. Its been stated therefore it must be true, is that how it workks. Yet in the past two games he was equal second best in the back line

Tom T 8 tackles one missed tackle
Matt Wright 5 tackles four missed tackles
Suli 19 tackles 6 missed tackles
Kelly 15 Tackles 5 missed tackles
Parker 17 tackles 6 missed tackles
Tom Wright 16 tackles 2 missed tackles
DCE 21 tackles 1 missed tackle

So where does this suggest Tom Wright is a poor defender. Poppycock. Of course some will say he positions himself poorly but that's just trying to find fault in the kid. He's not perfect but in the last game he missed two tackles. Two others missed 5, two others missed 3, Tom Wright missed two.

Let the figures demonstrate his performance, not a stereotyped comment based on people saying a few years back that he couldn't tackle.

Let the figures demonstrate that T Wright and DCE were defending as part of a pack because of their assigned field positions and the other 5 were defending out wide, mostly on their own, hence their higher missed-tackle rate.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10