Please, please Trent... Pick Tom Wright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
As ive said a thouuusand times the hype is real! Ive seen enough of him in the lower grades to know he's got something special. These types of skills you are born with, they are not coached into you.
Hes also a big body which means he wont have a problem handling the physicality of playing against men. There's a bit of a young Brad Fittler about him.
If the right coach can nurture the mental side of things then I have no doubt he has the ability to be a representative class player.

As ive said a thouuusand times the hype is real! Ive seen enough of him in the lower grades to know he's got something special. These types of skills you are born with, they are not coached into you.
Hes also a big body which means he wont have a problem handling the physicality of playing against men. There's a bit of a young Brad Fittler about him.
If the right coach can nurture the mental side of things then I have no doubt he has the ability to be a representative class player.
The hype is real for those that can see and we saw a player who posses such speed and skill that doesn't come around very often.
What he did to the top of the ladder St George team consisting of established rep players, he did the same in the lower grades and that is totally mesmerizing the opposition and leaving them stunned like mullets .
He made the NRL St George backs look like a junior kids team . He left them clutching at thin air .
He left the poor bastards for dead and scored his scintillating try untouched .
I have seen Jimmy the Jet in action and wish we could have a flyer like him who can single handedly score a try from anywhere on the field and now we do !!!
35851022985_2eacbf9593_b.jpg

I am a Tom Wright fan but I'm also a realist. He is going to make mistakes, miss tackles, throw poor passes and kick out on the full. He is a risk-taker and sometimes they come unstuck.
Provided everyone appreciates his good and bad side then he'll become a fan favourite. But if I know the reactionaries on here then as soon as he has one poor match they will be calling for his axing.
Don't build him up too much.
We need him in our backline, along with Walker, because both players test out the opposition. We need to get back to the traditional Manly backline play where we could score from any position on the field. That style of exciting attacking RL will bring fans back to Brookie. Currently our backline is as predictable as Bill Shorten being negative about any Government initiative.

I am a Tom Wright fan but I'm also a realist. He is going to make mistakes, miss tackles, throw poor passes and kick out on the full. He is a risk-taker and sometimes they come unstuck.
Provided everyone appreciates his good and bad side then he'll become a fan favourite. But if I know the reactionaries on here then as soon as he has one poor match they will be calling for his axing.
Don't build him up too much.
We need him in our backline, along with Walker, because both players test out the opposition. We need to get back to the traditional Manly backline play where we could score from any position on the field. That style of exciting attacking RL will bring fans back to Brookie. Currently our backline is as predictable as Bill Shorten being negative about any Government initiative.
The reality is every player will make mistakes , miss tackles, and drop balls but ......
Not every player is gifted with blistering pace and masterful skill .
Speed thrills and Speed Kills
9901265326_1d937ebb58_b.jpg

Modern NRL is even more structured - and even more ruthless - than it was back in the 1980s, and even back then the most brilliant individual ended up as a rugby league nomad and never quite fulfilled his destiny.

Yes Tom Wright is elusive and great at running the ball but his rugby league education still has a way to go. No reason that can't happen in first grade from now on, but this is just a word of caution to those saying 'future immortal' (yes @BOZO that's you!)

(For the youngsters here, I refer to the one and only Phil Blake)

Will Trent pick TomW for the next match?

What if Fanoiu is approved to play? What would Trent do then?

Modern NRL is even more structured - and even more ruthless - than it was back in the 1980s, and even back then the most brilliant individual ended up as a rugby league nomad and never quite fulfilled his destiny.

Yes Tom Wright is elusive and great at running the ball but his rugby league education still has a way to go. No reason that can't happen in first grade from now on, but this is just a word of caution to those saying 'future immortal' (yes @BOZO that's you!)

(For the youngsters here, I refer to the one and only Phil Blake)
I agree that Tom has still a long way to go but his exceptional speed and skill is the right vehicle to take him there .
We saw what Tom Wright did to the "current" NRL structure and to the top of the table Dragons . Tom Wright brought them down on his own with his speed and skill
Speed and skill has proven to screw any NRL structure
We all have different views and thank you for yours
SpeedKillslogo.jpg

Gee I haven't seen so much hype around one try since Shady Lane burst into the clear against the Cowboys. Widdop isn't that great in defence so no surprise he got burnt, he misses 1 out of every 5 tackles according to his stats. Thank God TGWH scored lest people start looking at his missed tackle count.

Gee I haven't seen so much hype around one try since Shady Lane burst into the clear against the Cowboys. Widdop isn't that great in defence so no surprise he got burnt, he misses 1 out of every 5 tackles according to his stats. Thank God TGWH scored lest people start looking at his missed tackle count.
Fans don't have much else to cheer about so Tom is our one ray of hope.
Surely you'd rather watch him play than Hodkinson?

Having rewatched the Saints game, the question of his defence I feel is a little unfair. One on one defending he had no trouble and made a couple of full on tackles that brought hard running players to a full stop. The missed tackles were mainly when he was trying to tackle players others should have tackled and he makes at times vain attempts to tackle the player already making a break. Sometime he did a couple of tackles in a row and they were close to the line. This kid has no problem with tackling. He just tries to cover to much ground in defence to support other players. Watch the game again to see what I mean.

I really hope Manly promote some of these speedsters into grade early next year and stop this safe and slow nonsense. Backline I would like to see would be

Tom T
Taufua
Walker
Kelly
Anderson
Tom Wright
DCE

I really hope Manly promote some of these speedsters into grade early next year and stop this safe and slow nonsense. Backline I would like to see would be

Tom T
Taufua
Walker
Kelly
Anderson
Tom Wright
DCE
Suli misses out then? Nice selection quandary to have.

Widdop wasn't the only player he burnt . He sliced through two defenders and blew away the others with content .
If you want to look at the missed tackle counts you will find Kelly the most by any player on the field missing 6
The Great White Hope scored our only try single handedly.
In regards to the hype ..........Just listen to the fox commentators when The Great White Hope tears the dragons defence apart to score untouched .
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/16/match-highlights-dragons-v-sea-eagles--round-15-2018/

Your right.

We should be filling the team with Mediocre guys that can tackle a tiny tiny tiny bit better, occasionally score a try and possibly make a line break.

Lets start with matty and jono Wright on the wings, they seem like dead set nothing special guys. then perhaps we could put in Have a go Hastings who for all the promise in the world led the rooters to the spoon and is on club no 427 in 3 years. Lewis killer brown is special in his own way so hes a definite starter. Big Winterstein is solid if not boring most of the time. Uate while shows flashes of old goes missing unless of course there's a bomb to defuse then hes always on hand (to drop it)...

My point being our roster is filled with Dead wood who while solid really arn't anything special. Tom Wright is Special and will be a top rep player one day. Unfortunately probably not with us if Barrett stays on as boss....

I honestly believe Tom should be in the side somewhere. At this point Uate is off to the UK and really hasn't played well this year so If there's no other spot then on the wing. Remember when Des had Hoppa jnr on the wing to get him in the side even thou it wasn't his preferred position. He went ok....

Tom Turbo
Tafua
Kelly
Walker
T Wright or Uate
DCE
Trent H or T wright
Marty
Fianu
AFB
Thompson
go get the jet ski
Jake.

Pasenka
Suli
Lane
lucky dip

• 👍
Reactions: R3
Unfortunately against Penrith with Walker coming back, the best Tom Wright can hope for is a spot on the bench, but probably not. Expect Matt Wright, Brown or Parker...safe and slow.. Barrett has shown he doesn't learn from his mistakes and will stick with the same players he has used all season or has brought into the side from outside (Hodko). I had hopes for Barrett but he's showing that so far he is one dimensional...cant think outside of the box. Manly needs at this stage someone with a willingness to experiment, especially with those who will be in the team next year, not just because of injury, and to not fall back on safe and slow. I don't think he can get that formula out of his head.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2