[Resurrected] Penn selling the club??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Excuse me if it has already been covered, but has anyone been considering the possibility of the NRL buying Manly for relocation purposes? I know no one wants to think of or mention the hard r but it makes perfect sense considering the cash inducement on offer to any club who takes it up, not to mention Penn's recent public attitude and statements towards the current administration.

Edit: for the record this is not what I want, I'm just pondering the possibility out loud so hold your disdain.

Excuse me if it has already been covered, but has anyone been considering the possibility of the NRL buying Manly for relocation purposes? I know no one wants to think of or mention the hard r but it makes perfect sense considering the cash inducement on offer to any club who takes it up, not to mention Penn's recent public attitude and statements towards the current administration.
NRL do not want to run any Club.
They're business model is to rake in the monies at zero risk that the Franchisee's need to take :nerd:

NRL do not want to run any Club.
They're business model is to rake in the monies at zero risk that the Franchisee's need to take :nerd:
I understand that is what they have publically stated, however the current business model is also offering a substantial amount more than what it would cost to buy the club.

Excuse my devil's advocacy, I just don't want to get blindsided by some bull**** I wouldn't put past them.

I understand that is what they have publically stated, however the current business model is also offering a substantial amount more than what it would cost to buy the club.

Excuse my devil's advocacy, I just don't want to get blindsided by some bull**** I wouldn't put past them.

What you suggest certainly has great merit as far as the NRL are concerned ..... as you say ... if they are offering say 6-10 million for a Syd club to relocate ....why not just buy the club for 14 mill move it to Perth and then resell it for .. say 10 mill ... As far as the NRL are concerned ... mission accomplished and 6 mill saved ...

There may be some conditions about playing at Brookie that would stop that ... people fron the football club would know ...

Frankly, I'd like to see the club change hands, and if it's to URM I'd be even happier.
The URM owners are lifelong Manly fans and have the brains to make money from other people's rubbish.
They would appear to me to be more financially well-healed than the Penn Group.
But the main reason I'd like change is that I feel the club management over the past decade has not stood up to the NRL bias on enough occasions.
We need strong owners who question spurious NRL decisions, many of which seem to disadvantage Manly.
Over the years our club has dwindled from a Superpower to a Minnow.
I'd like us to have the clout of Easts who develop virtually no juniors yet have the strongest roster by far.
Why does Doesn'tmatta - the worst performing club in the NRL - get two new stadiums built before the North side of Sydney gets any?
How can Newcastle recruit a galaxy of over-priced stars and remain under the salary cap?
How does Souths get $1-M cap relief for Inglis when they refuse it for Snake and Matai?
How come we are rarely on free-to-air TV?
The Penns deserve credit for what they have done, especially over the past nine months, but I want Manly to return to the top and not be screwed-over by the NRL.

Delmege to the rescue?

SMH - Danny Weidler - 25/05/2019

Former Manly owner Max Delmege has contacted this column to say he is watching the Manly ownership situation carefully.

‘‘I’d be interested in buying in, but I don’t have the money,’’ he said. ‘‘The GFC [global financial crisis] saw to that. Even if I wanted to buy the club, the Penns may not want to talk to me. We have not seen eye to eye for some time. I’ve got some investors who would like to buy in. Ultimately, I’d like to see the club returned to the members – perhaps a fan buy-in. It will be interesting to see if they do sell.’’

Delmege sold his stake in the Sea Eagles to the Penn family in 2010 after the property developer saved them from financial extinction. He injected more than $10 million into the club.

Full story (including interview with D Walker): https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dy...at-becoming-a-better-man-20190525-p51r4q.html

The timing of the story with the election is interesting. The manly business with brookie, govt funding promises or not, as opposed to possible relocation of the lisence would have been a massive consideration in any sale. Historicly transactions like these are put on the back burner in election years and with funding promises in jeopardy it would have been a road of caution . Unless you just have someone buying manly for the love , and want , as opposed to the numbers and a tax loss

Id like to see penn bring in investors to Manly and also set up the usa team or an ESL team partnership .

I am intriqued as to how a fan based buy out .. as suggested by Max ...would work .....if successful. how then would these fan owners raise the money each year for any shortfall in operating expenses ... pass the hat around ... chook raffles .... divide the needed millions by the number of owners and ask for a cheque ??

I am intriqued as to how a fan based buy out .. as suggested by Max ...would work .....if successful. how then would these fan owners raise the money each year for any shortfall in operating expenses ... pass the hat around ... chook raffles .... divide the needed millions by the number of owners and ask for a cheque ??
Like ST after a loss - bloodbath and cannibalism :rofl:

Just like strata fees. You get an allocation dependent on the size of your investment. Each quarter/financial year you'd receive an allocation of the profits (highly unlikely) or have to stump up more money to maintain your share of the investment, or try to sell it.
The more investors the more complicated it becomes.
But, hey. I'm in for $100.....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6