NRL: Restarting May 28th. Grand Final Oct 25th

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Agreed. Trump likes to go on about how he stopped planes coming in from China (and - quelle horreur! - was called a racist for doing so), but that did precisely **** all to stop the spread of the virus in the US, which mostly came in via planes from Europe. I know, right? Who knew white people could also be a danger? So yeah, he stopped planes from China. Worked a treat.
Hindsight is a b1tch.

No Canterbury Cup [ reserve grade ] or intrust cup in Queensland apparently to resume this season so certainly some challenges managing the N R L :s top 30 squads . But it is what it is i guess and the necessary adjustments accordingly and the main priority is to just restart some credible format of the i st grade N R L comp as soon as practicable . interesting that grass roots comps in N S W and Qld will be resumed in July but just like most plans in this current environment , subject to all or most things continuing well with the virus containment .

Project Apollo this afternoon confirmed the May 28th start again with teams to commence training on May 4th!

Also all interstate teams will need to move into NSW for competition.

If the infection rates continue to drop at the current rate I can see the relaxing of the travel restrictions or more likely the granting of exceptions to the league ... if not in the next 2 weeks ... certainly by the 28th May ... here's hoping Mitch ..

Singapore is having a second wave of infections at the moment, having controlled it until the past week.

For the NRL's sake I hope this doesn't trigger a second wave of infections because they couldn't afford to wait another month or two, like everyone else.

I heard "a medical expert" on the radio last week discussing this very point.
He said the spike in numbers in Singapore can/may be pretty attributed to circumstances specific to that country/area.
Like anything with stats, raw numbers don't always paint the full picture.
He said Singapore has a very high rate of building contractors that fly in from the likes of Bangladesh that work on building sites for 12 hours a day then go back to their dorm like accomodation. This is a highly concentrated population where the virus can spread easily so this may skew the spike in numbers of infections.

Look at our numbers, something like 71 deaths.
If you break it down, I'd say most of those have come from concentrated areas like nursing homes, cruise ships etc

It's weird, it seems like there has been a noticeable drop off in safety measures since the weekend especially at the big supermarkets. Prior to Monday, there was staff counting numbers coming in, bollards, wiping down trolleys/baskets etc.
Is it because the greater population are doing the right thing and staying home or is the relaxation of safety measures due to the shrinking of new reported infections?

He said the spike in numbers in Singapore can/may be pretty attributed to circumstances specific to that country/area.
He said Singapore has a very high rate of building contractors that fly in from the likes of Bangladesh that work on building sites for 12 hours a day then go back to their dorm like accomodation. This is a highly concentrated population where the virus can spread easily so this may skew the spike in numbers of infections.

Yes I know this is the reason behind their spike. But I don't see much difference between close-quarters living and allowing a contact sport with 16 teams of 17 players playing for 80 minutes per week. It is still allowing a large group of people to have close contact with each other, which is exactly how the virus spreads. So if one player contracts it somehow, it may not be best look for the game to say the least.

But if all medical advice is followed then there should not be a problem. A lot can happen in 4 weeks though.

Yes I know this is the reason behind their spike. But I don't see much difference between close-quarters living and allowing a contact sport with 16 teams of 17 players playing for 80 minutes per week. It is still allowing a large group of people to have close contact with each other, which is exactly how the virus spreads. S

You don't see much difference between groups of untested 3rd world labourers living like canned sardines and then crossing international borders and post-quarantine professional sports players and staff operating under a strict hygiene and testing regimen?

Wow mate.

Last edited:
You don't see much difference between groups of untested 3rd world labourers living like sardines and then crossing international borders and post-quarantine professional sports players and staff operating under a strict hygiene and testing regimen?

Wow mate.

Firstly... I haven't seen any article that says those foreign workers arrived in Singapore recently. Nor have I seen any article saying the latest outbreaks were caused by someone who had acquired it outside SG. Only that they were foreign workers living in dormatories.

The main cause of outbreaks is people with the virus having close physical contact (via air) with other people or via shared surface.

Obviously this happens much faster with large groups in close proximity. Be it at a dormatory or a contact sport where you are touching/sweating on many other people. It only takes one infected person to cause an outbreak and it is transmissible when a person is asymptomatic.

No doubt there will surely be a lot of testing and procedures with NRL players but it is still risky. There were also procedures for the cruise ship that docked but mistakes were still made.

Again, will wait and see as a lot can happen in 4 weeks.

There is current talk of re-opening business and even cafes within weeks ... all our wisdom may be old news by then ....

Firstly... I haven't seen any article that says those foreign workers arrived in Singapore recently. Nor have I seen any article saying the latest outbreaks were caused by someone who had acquired it outside SG. Only that they were foreign workers living in dormatories.

Really? You acknowledged this post:

with:

Yes I know this is the reason behind their spike.

So you read the post, acknowledge the reason for the spike, then subsequently post you have no knowledge of the reasons for the spike. Your posts on the NRL restart have been negative so i guess you are just continuing that stance regardless of sense.

Nonsense mate.

Last edited:
So you read the post, acknowledge the reason for the spike, then subsequently post you have no knowledge of the reasons for the spike.

The reason (which no one argues) it spread so quickly is that one person or several people had the virus, and they contacted a lot of people in shared dormitories where those workers were living. How those first few people contracted the virus is really not that relevant.

What is relevant is that when you have an infected person contacting large groups of people in close proximity, that is when you get an outbreak.

To that last point, it doesn't matter what environment that is in. Could be in a dormitory, a cruise ship, a hospital or... a football field.

Regardless of testing and protocols that the NRL will no doubt employ, it is still risky (see cruise ship example).

Your posts on the NRL restart have been negative so i guess you are just continuing that stance regardless of sense.

Nonsense mate.

For the third time, we will see how the country is faring in 4 weeks' time as a lot can change until that time.

Believe it or not, I do want the season to re-start. What no one wants is for the NRL and other parts of the country to re-open too soon, only for another spike of infections to happen, causing another lockdown. Because no one wants to go through this again.

How those first few people contracted the virus is really not that relevant.

Yes it is extremely relevant.
The "Banga's" mentioned are an extremely high risk group interacting with everyone AND their dogs and then crossing international borders. I guess you have no idea how these people live mate.
The proposed NRL plan would be classed as extremely low risk by anyone with half a brain and no debating agenda.

I'll leave it at that as it is getting like playing chess with a pigeon.

To be honest the whole thing just doesn't make sense to me. I went to my mother in laws funeral last week (nice lady, got on well with her) and we were only allowed ten at the service. Inside the funeral home I had to stand 1.5 metres away from my own wife. Apparently police checks had been done previously. However in a month's time 17 teams of 17 men are going to be jumping on top of each other, sweating like pigs for 80 minutes. Just hard to see how you go from one extreme to the other so quick.

To be honest the whole thing just doesn't make sense to me. I went to my mother in laws funeral last week (nice lady, got on well with her) and we were only allowed ten at the service. Inside the funeral home I had to stand 1.5 metres away from my own wife. Apparently police checks had been done previously. However in a month's time 17 teams of 17 men are going to be jumping on top of each other, sweating like pigs for 80 minutes. Just hard to see how you go from one extreme to the other so quick.

It is a bit bizarre.

More importantly, I'm sorry for your loss and hope your wife is holding up ok.

Sorry you had to go through this xx
I’m with you re resumption. Everyone also seems to forget that these players will all return him after games to very big families, in some cases, often with children who’ll be heading back to the Petri dishes that can be schools. Hope I’m wrong but it seems really unlikely that they’ll get too far before a player has a positive test.

Sorry you had to go through this xx
I’m with you re resumption. Everyone also seems to forget that these players will all return him after games to very big families, in some cases, often with children who’ll be heading back to the Petri dishes that can be schools. Hope I’m wrong but it seems really unlikely that they’ll get too far before a player has a positive test.

In British Columbia (canada) - they were having a good run re flattening the curve then some people went to work at a food processing plant feeling unwell, but they were scared of losing their jobs and/or hours and all of a sudden......

ka-blooie!

28 new cases (highest since march) and now bang! ...71 new cases. Have had days with less than 30 but in a blink of an eye....

So it's a damn knife edge. Hopefully things continue going well (overall) for Australia.

Can ;t help bad luck if some problem does occur after the proposed recommencement time and to then curtail things again but really just so many favorable reasons to start the R L comp again as soon as manageable . What "s the point of waiting when every indication is that games can resume with health and player welfare considerations and measures ticking the required boxes. Nothing ventured , nothing gained .

Your posts on the NRL restart have been negative so i guess you are just continuing that stance regardless of sense.

The proposed NRL plan would be classed as extremely low risk by anyone with half a brain and no debating agenda.
I'll leave it at that as it is getting like playing chess with a pigeon.
Just reading over some recent posts and you've got me a bit perplexed here. Not sure why you're having a go at @Ranger, who seems only to have added some fact-based discussion from the posts I saw.
As for 'extremely low risk by anyone with half a brain and no debating agenda' - pot and kettle??As many have pointed out, here in Australia we've done really well but it's not over, unfortunately until there is an effective treatment or a vaccine it won't ever be over, it will continue to be something we need to manage.
The risks are massive and if the NRL wasn't utterly desperate they wouldn't be pushing ahead so bullishly.
I'm sure everyone on this site would be happy to see some sort of footy again. If it can be done safely. But that is the $64 question and it remains a legitimate question so no need to belittle people for having the discussion. It really is a very complicated issue!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6