NRL: Restarting May 28th. Grand Final Oct 25th

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I've had a look at this and reckon a fair way to restart the comp would be to allocate points for missed rounds thus.....
Round 3 - 2 points to the home teams
Round 4 - 2 points to the away teams
Round 5 - 2 points to the home teams
the above sequence then recommences, i.e.
Round 6 - 2 points to the home teams
Round 7 - 2 points to the away teams
Round 8 - 2 points to the home teams
and so forth.....

Personally I wish they would give the whole thing away for 2020. More harm than good will come of this. Refer to my post elsewhere on the fate of the two rugby codes in France in the post-War/post-Vichy era.

It would take a very special sort of mental gymnastics to draw even the remotest parallels between the emotions and attitudes of post war French Rugby fans to Vichy collaborators after 5 years of Nazi occupation and National embarassment .... and Rugby League in Australia in 2020 .

It is an absurdity of Churchilian proportion ......

I applaud the optimism of Vlandys to get this season moving. The reality is that in the current climate its highly unrealistic that anything will start till at least July.

If the season is revived I favour a model that each team plays each other once as that is the only fair way to allow clubs to keeps points they earned and maintain some sort of integrity.

My fear is the Government will knock this on the head regardless.

Reports this morning that players could be signed to NRL clubs for 2020 from other comps that won't play in 2020, including Super League and all of the pro RU comps. Thats a heap of footballers. The obvious ones are SBW and Izzy. But i'd be happy if Manly signed England RU's Owen Farrell as a 5/8th just for 2020. He is the son of Andy Farrell and played league until mid teens i think.

Mate ... they will be working overtime to pay the current NRL players their full contracts ... can't see the NRL or RLPA going with any idea to import more players ...

@globaleagle could you .. (or anybody else with interwebby talent) .. kindly try and post the article in todays Telecrap .. about the Deputy Premier Barilaro comments on the May 28th restart .... apart from saying he will move mountains to make it happen ... his comments about the League not nneding permission are enlightning ...

DOOM on all the nay sayers !!!

It would take a very special sort of mental gymnastics to draw even the remotest parallels between the emotions and attitudes of post war French Rugby fans to Vichy collaborators after 5 years of Nazi occupation and National embarassment .... and Rugby League in Australia in 2020 .

It is an absurdity of Churchilian proportion ......
It was the rugby people who collaborated.

And as for the gymnastics part, no more so than (apparently in all seriousness) thinking that Trump is doing a good job and that a wall would stop a virus from spreading. Particularly when the epicentre of the US outbreak was in NYC.

It was the rugby people who collaborated.

And as for the gymnastics part, no more so than (apparently in all seriousness) thinking that Trump is doing a good job and that a wall would stop a virus from spreading. Particularly when the epicentre of the US outbreak was in NYC.

yeah ... can't beat you ... no sense in trying to stop 2000 mexicans a day cross the border ... silly trump ..

I've had a look at this and reckon a fair way to restart the comp would be to allocate points for missed rounds thus.....
Round 3 - 2 points to the home teams
Round 4 - 2 points to the away teams
Round 5 - 2 points to the home teams
the above sequence then recommences, i.e.
Round 6 - 2 points to the home teams
Round 7 - 2 points to the away teams
Round 8 - 2 points to the home teams
and so forth.....
I thought you were nuts, till I checked our draw. Now I see the genius behind your idea.

yeah ... can't beat you ... no sense in trying to stop 2000 mexicans a day cross the border ... silly trump ..
More pertinently, how is he going on the COVID-19 front?

21,000+ US citizens now deceased. I wonder how many Fairyfloss Head voters, let alone his myriad detractors, care about any physical barriers with Mexico right now.

More pertinently, how is he going on the COVID-19 front?

21,000+ US citizens now deceased. I wonder how many Fairyfloss Head voters, let alone his myriad detractors, care about any physical barriers with Mexico right now.

For some bizarre reason you think I am a Trump supporter ... all I did was mention the wall ... but now that you insist ... I can't see how letting in 1000's of untested peons a day fleeing mexico without any welfare net or jobs would be a good idea ... but I suppose with a leftist ideology you can distort any story to fit an agenda ...

While we are at it ... let's open our northern border to 1000's of boat people ... must be good .. yeah ... what could go wrong ..

No, Woodsie is quite right. It's important for us to all separate into our various national groupings, and with the pandemic it is now even more important. We just have to look after ourselves, we can't afford to be generous to refugees at a time like this when we are struggling to even get the footy back on TV.

No, Woodsie is quite right. It's important for us to all separate into our various national groupings, and with the pandemic it is now even more important. We just have to look after ourselves, we can't afford to be generous to refugees at a time like this when we are struggling to even get the footy back on TV.

Good Lord ... I can't wait for the first politician to take your advice and advocate the opening of all borders .... I paricularly liked the tug on the heart strings ... to be generous to refugees ... beautiful ... just let everybody in ... no harm can come from it ... another 10,000 people with no jobs and no housing .. no worries ... my ideology says so ...

mean people that think otherwise ... nasty buggers ...

NRL aiming for May 28th to restart the season ...
At least Vlandys is aiming for a target
Todd was just firing blanks at thin air and getting the NRL no where

@globaleagle could you .. (or anybody else with interwebby talent) .. kindly try and post the article in todays Telecrap .. about the Deputy Premier Barilaro comments on the May 28th restart .... apart from saying he will move mountains to make it happen ... his comments about the League not nneding permission are enlightning ...

DOOM on all the nay sayers !!!

John Barilaro reveals why NSW Government is backing return of NRL
Nick Walshaw, The Daily Telegraph
April 13, 2020 8:54am

NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro has pledged state government support for the return of NRL competition by May 28, stressing: “Rugby league is at the heart of everything we do in NSW.”

Only days after NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard questioned restarting rugby league amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Mr Barilaro is now joining the Australian Rugby League Commission’s Project Apollo push personally.

A close friend of Canberra coach Ricky Stuart, the Deputy Premier said he expected to receive some criticism for helping fast-track rugby league’s return, and within just seven weeks, ahead of other major sports and industries.
However, the state government’s eagerness to revive the NRL competition is, he said, driven by the “significant uplift” it would provide NSW, both economically and from a social and wellbeing perspective.
Mr Barilaro added that, starting this week, he would also be offering to personally assist ARLC chairman Peter V’landys with issues like both the Queensland border situation and travel requirements for the returning New Zealand Warriors.

Incredibly, the announcement comes only days after Mr Hazzard not only questioned rugby league’s return, but suggested the code’s announced May 28 restart was yet to be confirmed.
Asked if Mr Hazzard should have better understood the government’s standing on the situation, the Deputy Premier said: “Brad probably should have but this is a moving beast and he’s been focused on the health disaster.
“I know he spoke about signing off on the orders, but I’m not sure if he was talking about signing off on protocols to ensure people are protected or if there was confusion around whether he has to do it legally. But he doesn’t.
“The reality is that the NRL chose to close itself down at the height of the pandemic. It made that decision for the welfare and wellbeing of its own staff, players and clubs. But there is no public order which stops rugby league from taking place.
“It’s no different to racing (which has been ongoing).
“So while there may have been some confusion, I can tell you that in the conversation I’ve had with the Premier and the Treasurer, we’ve all spoken about the NRL (returning) and said ‘yes, absolutely’. Of course we’ll sit down with them to check through protocols and measures, but we want to see the game up and running.”

Asked if the May 28 return date had state government support, Mr Barilaro was adamant: “It does.” He added that, from this week, he would begin liaising with all the relevant state and federal bodies to ensure the hyped Project Apollo date is met.
“And I’ll likely cop grief from other codes like soccer and Aussie rules,” he said.
“There will be people ask ‘why aren’t you saying the same for all?’. And I would say the same for all.
“But rugby league is at the heart of everything we do in NSW. I’ve been talking with a lot of people this past week and it’s clear that as the infections decrease, we start looking to where you lift restrictions with economic uplift, social uplift and mental wellbeing uplift.

“Where can you do that and minimise health risk?
“That’s what treasury will do with health experts for every industry.
“And when it comes to rugby league, the economic uplift will be significant. Just as the social and wellbeing uplift will be significant.
“There’s a real case there of looking at risk versus all those other opportunities and saying ‘yes, rugby league should be one of the first industries that should get the go ahead’.”

Asked if reviving the NRL would really help with the wellbeing of thousands left unemployed by COVID-19, Mr Barilaro said: “Look, it’s a tough one. And I’ve copped some criticism (for saying it will). But there’s a real issue right now because self-isolation is contrary to the Australian DNA.

“And I have no doubt that as much as we’re all hurting, rugby league can lift spirits.
“Rugby league brings families together. It sends a message that there is a level of normality on the horizon.”

This one statement from the deputy Premier says a lot about his intent ...

"
“The reality is that the NRL chose to close itself down at the height of the pandemic. It made that decision for the welfare and wellbeing of its own staff, players and clubs. But there is no public order which stops rugby league from taking place.
“It’s no different to racing (which has been ongoing).
“So while there may have been some confusion, I can tell you that in the conversation I’ve had with the Premier and the Treasurer, we’ve all spoken about the NRL (returning) and said ‘yes, absolutely’. Of course we’ll sit down with them to check through protocols and measures, but we want to see the game up and running.”

Giddy up ... and chewy on the boot of the nay-sayers ... we will not die from lack of trying ...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8