New Member Council

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Very smart strategy by the club, getting the various age pools to draw generational insight into what works for them and draws their buy in.

I do hope we don't get "yes" people who would blow smoke up the arse of the club (for example congratulating the club on having the lowest number of followers on Instagram, because those low number do check in more often).

We need people willing to speak for the masses, not provide homerism or just stroke the ego of the club's management / staff. That's why @The Wheel is so good. He wouldn't mince words.

Very smart strategy by the club, getting the various age pools to draw generational insight into what works for them and draws their buy in.

I do hope we don't get "yes" people who would blow smoke up the arse of the club (for example congratulating the club on having the lowest number of followers on Instagram, because those low number do check in more often).

We need people willing to speak for the masses, not provide homerism or just stroke the ego of the club's management / staff. That's why @The Wheel is so good. He wouldn't mince words.
To be fair, mate whilst you will always have people hesitant to criticise, at all council meetings I have attended there has always been elements of constructive criticism and people happy to go against the grain with their thoughts, which make for some really open conversation. The club don’t get anything out of a group that just nod their head and smile.

The good thing about these meetings as well is that the club don’t shy away from things they need to improve on, they understand where flaws lie.

To be fair, mate whilst you will always have people hesitant to criticise, at all council meetings I have attended there has always been elements of constructive criticism and people happy to go against the grain with their thoughts, which make for some really open conversation. The club don’t get anything out of a group that just nod their head and smile.

The good thing about these meetings as well is that the club don’t shy away from things they need to improve on, they understand where flaws lie.
To be a fly on the wall at the first meeting…."So for our first topic of conversation, how do we feel about the rainbow jersey round?"

Closer To The Edge People GIF by THIRTY SECONDS TO MARS

Ryan, I know this “example” is exactly the tweet I did re the Instagram followers lol, I was congratulating the social media team who did an incredible job this season with everything that went on outside their control - especially only two of them. I work in social media and love seeing stats like that. I like to keep it positive as much as I can in public forums because I think there’s enough negativity that goes on. I’m not afraid to point out the areas they need improvement, in an environment that is appropriate

I know I'm going to have a difficult time filling the shoes of @The Wheel and his Member Council Meeting reports, however given he is now North of the border, I am going to do my best following our council meeting this evening!

Firstly, I wanted to reiterate that the overarching message from the staff there this evening was that they wanted the hard questions - They encouraged us all to provide our honest feedback following the back end of the 2022 season and the off season so far. I can tell you that it was given. There were plenty of questions raised around a lot of the decisions that have been made recently and the direction the club is taking, all with a large degree of underlying passion.

This was the first time the group had been introduced to Tony Mestrov and I have to say after having dealings with several other CEOs, Tony comes across as an extremely strong operator and one I am very confident in moving forward. He seems willing to make the calls that need to be made for the club to succeed. I've looked to highlight a few key takeaways the time we had to throw questions at him.

+ The 2022 staff appointments are going to leave the club with a hugely experienced unit with Seibold, Flanagan, Dymock and Laurie Daley (pending sign off from his current commitments) taking up positions at Manly. With no disrespect to our 2022 staff, comparatively I feel this is a hugely positive shift.

+ There will also be some significant changes in high performance with some world class appointments.

+ There is absolute player buy in with the appointment of Seibold. Senior players have been consulted throughout the process and there is an energy within the group to see a shift in styles of play and more input from the likes of DCE and Turbo etc with this (Des clearly had tight control over how the team played). Flanagan will likely be looking after our attack in 2023.

+ With regards to retention and recruitment, there was discussion around Reuben with it being clear that the club see him as a hugely valuable asset as a player and human and will do everything they can to keep him - obviously he does have an appetite to play FB though. Flegler was also mentioned with some level of confidence (for 2024).

Some other points raised throughout the meeting were:

+ The membership drive will commence in early November. It has had to be delayed not due to the recent situations, but due to the uncertainty around the potential US game in 2023, which they are expecting clarity on in the next week (obvious price differences for membership if there was one less game at 4 Pines).

+ On membership, there will be an early bird discount window and I can say the merchandise options look far better than the 2022 membership merch. You will have the option to choice your main item of merch as opposed to collecting another hat that gathers dust if they're not your thing!

+ There clearly has been a large amount of investment in HR and resourcing as well, particularly from a media and content perspective. The finishing touches are being put on a podcasting studio at the Centre of Excellence with a series being released over the summer. The volume of weekly content will likely increase significantly with the additional resourcing mentioned.

+ Following on from the jersey situation this year, a player group (Schuster, Saab and Parker) has been established to consult with specifically, when playing strips or other issues involving the playing group arise.

+ Tony was very strong and firm on ridding the club of the leaks that have kept us in the media over the past few months. This was probably the strongest point he made during his time with us - He is sick of the way the club has operated with nothing kept in house. Judging by how strongly he conveyed this, I dare say any leaks will be plugged permanently.

+ He also was very passionate about engagement within the Manly area being something that has been done poorly. In 2023 the players will be a lot more visible within the community, particularly junior clubs etc.

As always there is some items to be kept in house, but I've outlined what I can!

For me, whilst the support we have is build primarily around emotion and passion, this is the one thing you need to take out of your thinking when assessing the direction the club is taking. When looking purely at the decisions that have been made around staffing for example (without emotion), the coaching set up of Seibold, Flanagan, Dymock and Daley when compared to Hasler, Randall, Monaghan etc is chalk and cheese.

There is reason to be positive for 2023.

Last edited:
I know I'm going to have a difficult time filling the shoes of @The Wheel and his Member Council Meeting reports, however giving he is now North of the border, I am going to do my best following our council meeting this evening!

Firstly, I wanted to reiterate that the overarching message from the staff there this evening was that they wanted the hard questions - They encouraged us all to provide our honest feedback following the back end of the 2022 season and the off season so far. I can tell you that it was given. There were plenty of questions raised around a lot of the decisions that have been made recently and the direction the club is taking, all with a large degree of underlying passion.

This was the first time the group had been introduced to Tony Mestrov and I have to say after having dealings with several other CEOs, Tony comes across as an extremely strong operator and one I am very confident in moving forward. He seems willing to make the calls that need to be made for the club to succeed. I've looked to highlight a few key takeaways the time we had to throw questions at him.

+ The 2022 staff appointments are going to leave the club with a hugely experienced unit with Seibold, Flanagan, Dymock and Laurie Daley (pending sign off from his current commitments) taking up positions at Manly. With no disrespect to our 2022 staff, comparatively I feel this is a hugely positive shift.

+ There will also be some significant changes in high performance with some world class appointments.

+ There is absolute player buy in with the appointment of Seibold. Senior players have been consulted throughout the process and there is an energy within the group to see a shift in styles of play and more input from the likes of DCE and Turbo etc with this (Des clearly had tight control over how the team played). Flanagan will likely be looking after our attack in 2023.

+ With regards to retention and recruitment, there was discussion around Reuben with it being clear that the club see him as a hugely valuable asset as a player and human and will do everything they can to keep him - obviously he does have an appetite to play FB though. Flegler was also mentioned with some level of confidence (for 2024).

+ The membership drive will commence in early November. It has had to be delayed not due to the recent situations, but due to the uncertainty around the potential US game in 2023, which they are expecting clarity on in the next week (obvious price differences for membership if there was one less game at 4 Pines).

+ On membership, there will be an early bird discount window and I can say the merchandise options look far better than the 2022 membership merch. You will have the option to choice your main item of merch as opposed to collecting another hat that gathers dust if they're not your thing!

+ There clearly has been a large amount of investment in HR and resourcing as well, particularly from a media and content perspective. The finishing touches are being put on a podcasting studio at the Centre of Excellence with a series being released over the summer. The volume of weekly content will likely increase significantly with the additional resourcing mentioned.

+ Following on from the jersey situation this year, a player group (Schuster, Saab and Parker) has been established to consult with specifically, when playing strips or other issues involving the playing group arise.

+ Tony was very strong and firm on ridding the club of the leaks that have kept us in the media over the past few months. This was probably the strongest point he made during his time with us - He is sick of the way the club has operated with nothing kept in house. Judging by how strongly he conveyed this, I dare say any leaks will be plugged permanently.

+ He always was very passionate about engagement within the Manly area being something that has been done poorly. In 2023 the players will be a lot more visible within the community, particularly junior clubs etc.

As always there is some items to be kept in house, but I've outlined what I can!

For me, whilst the support we have is build primarily around emotion and passion, this is the one thing you need to take out of your thinking when assessing the direction the club is taking. When looking purely at the decisions that have been made around staffing for example (without emotion), the coaching set up of Seibold, Flanagan, Dymock and Daley when compared to Hasler, Randall, Monaghan etc is chalk and cheese.

Thanks Mitch.
Got a good feeling about next season.
Go Manly!

I know I'm going to have a difficult time filling the shoes of @The Wheel and his Member Council Meeting reports, however giving he is now North of the border, I am going to do my best following our council meeting this evening!

+ He always was very passionate about engagement within the Manly area being something that has been done poorly. In 2023 the players will be a lot more visible within the community, particularly junior clubs etc.

@Mitch, thank you very much for the post and the detail provided therein.

It appears that there are exciting times ahead.

Thanks Mitch. Really great report ... and exciting too!

Btw maybe they can send out an email about the Members Council meetings to keep us in the loop too. Would be good PR for the club, showing they are engaging and involving the members for ways to improve the club. People may feel "heard" if they knew it was happening (I only know about it because of silvertails).

I know I'm going to have a difficult time filling the shoes of @The Wheel and his Member Council Meeting reports, however given he is now North of the border, I am going to do my best following our council meeting this evening!

+ He also was very passionate about engagement within the Manly area being something that has been done poorly. In 2023 the players will be a lot more visible within the community, particularly junior clubs etc.

Thanks for the excellent summary. Looking forward to reading all your future reports.

Thanks @Mitch , very detailed reporting back!

- You will have the option to choice your main item of merch as opposed to collecting another hat that gathers dust if they're not your thing!

- nice save! lol #rightsforhats

- As always there is some items to be kept in house, but I've outlined what I can!

lol, glad we stopped that 'have a shot everytime that's said' game..!

DYLIOGU.jpg

Thanks again!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks @Mitch , very detailed reporting back!

- You will have the option to choice your main item of merch as opposed to collecting another hat that gathers dust if they're not your thing!

- nice save! lol #rightsforhats

- As always there is some items to be kept in house, but I've outlined what I can!

lol, glad we stopped that 'have a shot everytime that's said' game..!

DYLIOGU.jpg

Thanks again!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Also on membership packs, they’ll be getting packed and shipped domestically from Melbourne as opposed to off shore, so turn around times should be much quicker!

Haha I threw that one in there for you GE, I know you like your drinking games!

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8