more COVID discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Status
Not open for further replies.

40 nil

It's only a game ...
Learned today that the 27 year old boyfriend of young woman I know developed a heart condition following double Pfizer vaccination and now also has covid. It is not surprising that she & her parents don't wish to be vaccinated.

Also today went to eat at a Magnetic Island hotel, but was informed the restaurant was closed due to staff shortages. Qld government has mandated that only double vaccinated people can be employed. Prospective staff in the area do not wish to vaccinate.

My mother's aged care on the Gold Coast is in lockdown today, even though we were informed when double vaccination was enforced for visitors in October that this would mean the end of lockdowns.

As a mere layman, it would appear medical & government authorities in many places don't really know what they are doing. Their bumbling efforts certainly don't inspire confidence.

Jerry1

First Grader
Learned today that the 27 year old boyfriend of young woman I know developed a heart condition following double Pfizer vaccination and now also has covid. It is not surprising that she & her parents don't wish to be vaccinated.

Also today went to eat at a Magnetic Island hotel, but was informed the restaurant was closed due to staff shortages. Qld government has mandated that only double vaccinated people can be employed. Prospective staff in the area do not wish to vaccinate.

My mother's aged care on the Gold Coast is in lockdown today, even though we were informed when double vaccination was enforced for visitors in October that this would mean the end of lockdowns.

As a mere layman, it would appear medical & government authorities in many places don't really know what they are doing. Their bumbling efforts certainly don't inspire confidence.
At 90% vax rate it has jack sheite to do with getting staff. Most places run on back packers & there just aint none of them here at the moment.

On a very serious note:
In response to shortages of rapid antigen test kits, the government has come up with an innovative solution for all Australians. And this method has been guaranteed not to return a false negative.

IMG_20220111_203305_411.jpg

40 nil

It's only a game ...
At 90% vax rate it has jack sheite to do with getting staff. Most places run on back packers & there just aint none of them here at the moment.
Are you familiar with the demographic & vaccination rates on Magnetic Island? I am sure the local publican has a better grasp of the situation than someone from outside the area. It's true that backpacker numbers are way down, but my friend who owns a backpacker hostel in Townsville has told me many foreign backpackers do not wish to vaccinate.

Kevinward777

First Grader

I'm sorry that you are having such a difficult timecard present. I hope things improve for you soon.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
Final personal Covid update.

Left Iso last Friday, feeling 99% fine with maybe a little lingering fatigue.

All in all it wasn't great but nowhere near as bad as when I had Influenza A a few years back (though didnt get flu shot that year and did get double vaxxed for Covid)

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Unsurprising - they just continue shifting those Covid goalposts. Let's take a look back at what has transpired this past year.

The vaccine provides immunity, the vaccine doesn't provide immunity, vaccinated people don't transmit the virus, vaccinated people do transmit the virus, two shots will keep you safe, two shots will provide antibodies for 2 years, two shots will provide antibodies for twelve months, antibodies last six months, antibodies last three months, a booster shot will keep you safe, two booster shots is the new number, you will need to continue having shots, etc., etc., etc...

Rules are rules, and consistency is overrated.
Don't you feel bad writing such rubbish. One fact hopefully 🙏 you will admit is a lot more people would be dead right now without the vaccine.

Kevinward777

First Grader
Don't you feel bad writing such rubbish. One fact hopefully 🙏 you will admit is a lot more people would be dead right now without the vaccine.
No mate I don't. If I posted what is occuring with infections at my sister's house right now few on here would believe it. However, I know it is happening, and as such, grow ever more sceptical by the day. I am not alone.

robbiea

First Grader
Tipping Member
Well all five of us just had it .Was nothing ,had colds yearly that are worse.
Kids (10,9,5) only having one shot so far ,and it affected them less than the Mrs and I.
2 days of saw throat,one day feel a bit run down , Thats it.
Bring on the next variant.

Kevinward777

First Grader
Last summer, Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla told TIME that he expected the company to make a “very marginal profit” at that stage in the pandemic. Just a year later, Pfizer forecasted it would reap $33.5bn in Covid-19 vaccine revenue, following a series of lucrative supply deals with the world’s wealthiest countries.

Similarly, Moderna CEO Stephane Bancel said back at the start of the pandemic that “there is no world, I think, where we would contemplate to price [the Covid-19 vaccine] higher than other respiratory virus vaccines”. While it’s true that jabs for respiratory diseases can carry price tags ranging from tens to hundreds of dollars per dose, Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine is among the priciest on the market, with per-dose costs ranging between $32 and $37 for smaller supply deals.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
If I posted what is occuring with infections at my sister's house right now few on here would believe it
1. I agree. And I suspect that happens with a lot of what you post.

2. Meanwhile you seem very agitated these days about the pandemic. Can I suggest you try writing letters to your local newspaper, or even better, join (or form) a political party to spread your message and world view.

3. This is a rugby league fan site, and this thread is about Covid with respect to the 2022 NRL season.
There is a separate general covid discussion over in General forum (as you know because you are one of the keenest contributors there).

4. Try to stay on topic. Your alarm and outrage at govts and big pharma might get a run in the General forum, although bear in mind Silvertails site does not permit anti-vax messaging here. If that's the message you feel the need to spread then consider the suggestions in para 2 above.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Kevinward777

First Grader
Both Pfizer and Moderna upped European prices for their products this year; the EU will now pay $23.15 per dose of Pfizer’s jab (up from €$18.40), while Moderna is charging $25.50 for doses that previously cost around $22.60. The latter’s American-made vaccine is considerably cheaper in the US, where each dose costs about $15, while Pfizer is charging the US government around $24, up from the $19.50 paid in earlier deals.

Which countries are paying more for vaccines?​

As the debate about vaccine inequity in low-income countries rages on, even nations with access to the leading Covid-19 jabs are paying wildly different prices for doses.

African nations have struggled to secure sufficient vaccine supplies throughout the pandemic, and some are being charged considerably more for doses than their wealthy counterparts. Moderna offered its vaccine to South Africa at $30 to $42 per dose – significantly more costly than the $32 to $37 range paid by higher-income countries for the same jab. Botswana’s government also confirmed this summer that the country is paying almost $29 per dose, a far higher price point than those agreed for the US and EU.

Colombia, another country hit particularly hard by the virus, is paying around $30 per dose of Moderna’s vaccine – double the amount the US has been charged. Analysis by the People’s Vaccine Alliance, based on the estimated production costs of Moderna and Pfizer’s Covid-19 vaccines, found that Colombia has potentially overpaid by as much as $375m for both companies’ shots combined.

Though some of the prices negotiated between vaccine makers and governments are publicly available, a general lack of transparency regarding vaccine supply deals makes it difficult to scrutinise and understand the discrepancies in fees paid by rich and less wealthy nations.

"A reminder of the time when millions of people were dying of HIV in developing countries because the medicines that could save them were priced too high.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17