more COVID discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Status
Not open for further replies.

manly al

First Grader
One point that hasn"t received much attention is that it is apparently quite possible to contract covid more then once in this current covid cycle [ over the couple of years time frame ] if some reports mainly from overseas are credible . Less severity in nature for any recurring infection and probably corresponding with the present expectation that covid will go the way of previous viruses but of course covid being on the much higher scale of a dangerous type virus . Maybe will also require some ongoing [or periodical ] booster programme for the most vulnerable . So preventative measures [ and consistent and medically based measures ] seem still required for some time yet Still no definite indication of the proportion of Delta still in circulation but understandably difficult to ascertain . However the mere presence of a covid infection on any reported death and on balance should be sufficient to classify it as a covid related death .

Smokin Joe

Bencher
I'm basing it on the fact last week QLD had 70 cases of covid in hospital BUT only 1 there because of covid. Two totally different stats. The stats actually say "WITH" covid not because of covid... Don't get me wrong, Im not anti vac or into conspiracy theories at all but surely you can see there has been quite a bit of spin on the numbers... reports on hospitalisation and deaths every year from the "normal flu" are extreme aswell, with such high vaccination rates our death rate is actually much lower than the normal flu, I don't get the hysteria (now we have a 90% vaccination rate) obviously it was more deadly early on but not anymore!
Have to apologise,the stats have now changed,the percentage of the vaxed/unvaxed has changed overnight for some reason...
About 60% vaxed
About 7/8% unvaxed
The rest unknown vax situation.
Apologies as it is the state govt website,each state has them and have family in South Oz and keep up to date on them....
As to the more deadly early on view but we are all good now view,can you confirm that the next strain will be mild?I don't think that you can assume that.....I do take your point that the deaths are staying down but the reason flu deaths stay down is because a large % have their shot every year,would it be so low if less had their shot?

Where’s the latest proof/articles that anti vaxed patients admitted to hospital and ICUs shouldn’t be there for Covid?
Again, not talking vaccinated V unvaccinated. I'm talking ALL patients in hospital.
Reverse your question... where is the latest facts saying that all people in hospital "with" covid are there "because" of covid? There's none because they are not!

Have to apologise,the stats have now changed,the percentage of the vaxed/unvaxed has changed overnight for some reason...
About 60% vaxed
About 7/8% unvaxed
The rest unknown vax situation.
Apologies as it is the state govt website,each state has them and have family in South Oz and keep up to date on them....
As to the more deadly early on view but we are all good now view,can you confirm that the next strain will be mild?I don't think that you can assume that.....I do take your point that the deaths are staying down but the reason flu deaths stay down is because a large % have their shot every year,would it be so low if less had their shot?
By the time the next strain comes around we would have some kind of herd immunity. Plus the vulnerable would also be getting their booster shots as further protection. I think the next 6 weeks will finally start to see the ass end of this thing.

Where’s the latest proof/articles that anti vaxed patients admitted to hospital and ICUs shouldn’t be there for Covid?
A friend of mine was in hospital having a baby, while there tested positive for covid. They were then put into ICU for 2 weeks... sh had NO symptoms and felt fine. Now, she would be considered a stat in ICU.

Another friend contracted covid while in hospital, he was put into isolation for 2 weeks in hospital (this was months ago before opening up borders etc) but again he had no symptoms but was forced to do his 2 weeks quarantine in hospital and was told he would be detained if he tried to leave :(

There is MANY cases like this so forgive me for not believing their stats are accurate.

Volley

Bencher
Again, not talking vaccinated V unvaccinated. I'm talking ALL patients in hospital.
Reverse your question... where is the latest facts saying that all people in hospital "with" covid are there "because" of covid? There's none because they are not!

So it’s just a coincidence that hospitalisation rates are much higher now than they would be in a normal year?

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
With 116,000 new cases in Australia yesterday ... you can be guaranteed only the sickest get admitted .. and if there was ever any one good reason for the vax was needed it is the fact that the 10% un-vaxxed are providing over 50% of the people in ICU .. the extra burden these people are putting on Ambo's, nurses, hospitals is well out of proportion to their numbers ..

And yes it does affect other people who are having surgeries cancelled and emergency response times explode ..

And it doesn't look like the case numbers are going to do anything but rise for a while ..

So it’s just a coincidence that hospitalisation rates are much higher now than they would be in a normal year?
Estimates indicate that on average over 3000 deaths were attributable to influenza each year in Australians aged ≥50 years. We found that influenza was responsible for more than 13,500 hospitalisations each year in those aged ≥50 years, with approximately a fifth of these occurring in those aged 50–64 years.

That's a pretty significant number each year! Compare the pair ;)

And again not all reported cases of covid in hospital are there "because" of covid! As explained earlier a lot are there for other reasons but happen to have/get covid while there BUT they are considered a stat as being in hospital "with" covid! (Like my 2 friends for example)

Kevinward777

First Grader
Estimates indicate that on average over 3000 deaths were attributable to influenza each year in Australians aged ≥50 years. We found that influenza was responsible for more than 13,500 hospitalisations each year in those aged ≥50 years, with approximately a fifth of these occurring in those aged 50–64 years.

That's a pretty significant number each year! Compare the pair ;)

And again not all reported cases of covid in hospital are there "because" of covid! As explained earlier a lot are there for other reasons but happen to have/get covid while there BUT they are considered a stat as being in hospital "with" covid! (Like my 2 friends for example)
The COVID-19 death toll is reported every day by state and federal governments. These numbers are often used, alongside case numbers, to assess how public health policies are faring in controlling the pandemic, and to gauge the success of various drugs or interventions.

There’s been confusion, however, over whether reported death statistics reflect those who’ve died from COVID-19, or those who’ve died with the virus. Often it’s hard for medical practitioners to determine which of these categories a death falls into.

But the COVID-19 death toll publicised daily on Australian state and territory government websites and reported to the press does not differentiate between the two. It includes all people who’ve died with SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) in their body.

Lumping these statistics together makes it hard for the public to understand the true impact of the virus. Clarifying what’s being counted as a COVID-19 death is necessary for understanding the impact of the virus, and for informing public health and clinical responses to the pandemic. If we know who is susceptible to dying with COVID-19 because of pre-existing conditions, public health responses could more effectively target and protect potentially vulnerable people and communities.

Just to reiterate @The better Robbo point that the reporting of hospitalisation cases with/because of covid is confusing. Whether this is intentional or not I'll leave this up to the individual to discern.

This is not happenning just in oz but all over the world..

The COVID-19 death toll is reported every day by state and federal governments. These numbers are often used, alongside case numbers, to assess how public health policies are faring in controlling the pandemic, and to gauge the success of various drugs or interventions.

There’s been confusion, however, over whether reported death statistics reflect those who’ve died from COVID-19, or those who’ve died with the virus. Often it’s hard for medical practitioners to determine which of these categories a death falls into.

But the COVID-19 death toll publicised daily on Australian state and territory government websites and reported to the press does not differentiate between the two. It includes all people who’ve died with SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) in their body.

Lumping these statistics together makes it hard for the public to understand the true impact of the virus. Clarifying what’s being counted as a COVID-19 death is necessary for understanding the impact of the virus, and for informing public health and clinical responses to the pandemic. If we know who is susceptible to dying with COVID-19 because of pre-existing conditions, public health responses could more effectively target and protect potentially vulnerable people and communities.
Thank you!

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I’m starting to feel a bit left out. Friends, family members, have had/got Covid. None have been hospitalised (so that’s good), but in this generation of entitlement….where’s my bloody Covid positIve participation certificate? I think I’ll contact my local member and see what can be done.

Captain Moondog

Absolute Superstar
I’m starting to feel a bit left out. Friends, family members, have had/got Covid. None have been hospitalised (so that’s good), but in this generation of entitlement….where’s my bloody Covid positIve participation certificate? I think I’ll contact my local member and see what can be done.
It's not all it's cracked up to be.

Kevinward777

First Grader
Aaannnd Scomo has deleted his rules are rules tweet.
Unsurprising - they just continue shifting those Covid goalposts. Let's take a look back at what has transpired this past year.

The vaccine provides immunity, the vaccine doesn't provide immunity, vaccinated people don't transmit the virus, vaccinated people do transmit the virus, two shots will keep you safe, two shots will provide antibodies for 2 years, two shots will provide antibodies for twelve months, antibodies last six months, antibodies last three months, a booster shot will keep you safe, two booster shots is the new number, you will need to continue having shots, etc., etc., etc...

Rules are rules, and consistency is overrated.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
Unsurprising - they just continue shifting those Covid goalposts. Let's take a look back at what has transpired this past year.

The vaccine provides immunity, the vaccine doesn't provide immunity, vaccinated people don't transmit the virus, vaccinated people do transmit the virus, two shots will keep you safe, two shots will provide antibodies for 2 years, two shots will provide antibodies for twelve months, antibodies last six months, antibodies last three months, a booster shot will keep you safe, two booster shots is the new number, you will need to continue having shots, etc., etc., etc...

Rules are rules, and consistency is overrated.
It is almost like a virus can mutate and change necessitating a changing response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18