Matt Parcell

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Tom Wright and Looney Hastings would not have lasted a minute under Dessie .... to believe that he would have pampered to these 2 under achievers is pure fantasy .... neither had the attitude or work ethic that would have endeared them to Des or have got them to first base ....

To suggest that Barrett didn't give Hastings every opportunity, after signing him from exile on the Central Coast ... then bringing him into the 1st grade squad 4 times only to have the goose cause dramas with DCE 4 times ... fuk me,the club even provided counceling services to try and help the mungo ..... is again nothing but an alternate history fiction ... Des may have given him a second chance to pull his dopey head in .... but I seriously doubt he would have given him a 3rd and 4th ....

Parcell, I don't know about, but he never translated his reggie form in his 9 outings in first grade ... had talent .... I always thought a couple of seasons in England would make or break him .... I don't know if that is the case ....

Is there a reason we can't turn Fainu into an 80 minute hooker ?? Do we need to run with the two hooker system ?? Scam plays 80, Cook plays 80, Friend / Verrills plays 80, Hodgson plays 80. All the top 4 teams run a single hooker - must be something in that I reckon

I wouldn't be wasting a bench spot and salary cap space on a bench hooker that's going to play 20 minutes moving forward. Let's get Fainu conditioned for 80 minutes and let him do his stuff. He has played 80 before so he is capable, just needs to get used to it week in week out. Parcell is old news, can't see any value in bringing him back.

Here we go again.

We need a fact filter applied to these pages.

If I hear MYTH once more I will explode. Let's have a list of the 'myths' at our club over the past few years....

Apparently in no order :

DCE myth
Marty Tapau myth
Tom Wright myth
Dylan Walker angry myth
Who ever wears the no.6 myth
Tommy turbo - yes even some on here have questioned his status over the past few years.
Sirro myth
Thomson myth
Jorge ham fisted myth
Suli lazy myth
Parker untalented fg myth
Etc etc etc

We are lucky we can win a match.....
It applies to Wright and Parcell whether you agree or not unfortunately.

People on the forum talked both players up based on things they saw in the 9s and under 20s. They read a few “beat up” articles and made up their minds that both players must have what it takes.

You’ve gotta see the intricacies of rugby league to judge talent, not just go off highlight reels. That’s why Wright is playing rugby and Parcell is not in the NRL at his prime of 26 years of age. Do you really believe that the entire NRL community are oblivious and if only they could just know as much about rugby league as the people on this forum?

It applies to Wright and Parcell whether you agree or not unfortunately.

People on the forum talked both players up based on things they saw in the 9s and under 20s. They read a few “beat up” articles and made up their minds that both players must have what it takes.

You’ve gotta see the intricacies of rugby league to judge talent, not just go off highlight reels. That’s why Wright is playing rugby and Parcell is not in the NRL at his prime of 26 years of age. Do you really believe that the entire NRL community are oblivious and if only they could just know as much about rugby league as the people on this forum?

Wow. Ok sure.

I will bow to your obvious supreme knowledge of rugby league but before I do just a few uneducated observations.

The great TB had his favourites and the two players you mention were not in his band of brothers boys club.

I believe had Tom Wright been given more than just 2 games he could have become a great player. He had his problems for sure but that's what a good coach and team can fix.... I would have loved to see Wright mentored by the likes of Ballen and Brett Stewart.

Parcell was always going to be second choice to Api give TB bought him over. I think he had a future and the boss didn't. Remind be where the super coach is now?

Finally imagine Des version 1.0 all those years ago looking at a young Albert Hoparte and going yeah might just play some mediocre journey man instead. Wouldnt have happened.

All about the coach.....

Tom Wright and Looney Hastings would not have lasted a minute under Dessie .... to believe that he would have pampered to these 2 under achievers is pure fantasy .... neither had the attitude or work ethic that would have endeared them to Des or have got them to first base ....

To suggest that Barrett didn't give Hastings every opportunity, after signing him from exile on the Central Coast ... then bringing him into the 1st grade squad 4 times only to have the goose cause dramas with DCE 4 times ... fuk me,the club even provided counceling services to try and help the mungo ..... is again nothing but an alternate history fiction ... Des may have given him a second chance to pull his dopey head in .... but I seriously doubt he would have given him a 3rd and 4th ....

Parcell, I don't know about, but he never translated his reggie form in his 9 outings in first grade ... had talent .... I always thought a couple of seasons in England would make or break him .... I don't know if that is the case ....

But Woodsie on that reckoning suli should be shipped out surely??? Over weight, slow, lazy and a massive under achiever... hes going ok now.
No way you can say for sure how any player will turn out without the right guidance.

But Woodsie on that reckoning suli should be shipped out surely??? Over weight, slow, lazy and a massive under achiever... hes going ok now.
No way you can say for sure how any player will turn out without the right guidance.

No ... Suli was well on his way to turning his career around last year ... and has continued the improveent this year .... and he is still a work in progress .....but obviously possesses the talent and atributes both Barrett and Dessie decided to persist with ....

... and Tom Wright quit .with a year to run on his contract ... and the club ... not Barrett ... were happy to let him .... (even though he knew some new wonder coach would come in and make him a star) ... just to go back to his preferred game of Rugby ... where tackling is only optional ...

Good players take their chances and force their selection by attitude and performance .... the ones that don't hang around pubs and tell anyone that will listen ... "I would have been a star .. if only I had a good coach" ....

Parcell only recently moved from Leeds to hull kr, his career is even on the slide in Super league. Concentrate on what we already have in fainu and use a bench spot for one of our existing utilities

No ... Suli was well on his way to turning his career around last year ... and has continued the improveent this year .... and he is still a work in progress .....but obviously possesses the talent and atributes both Barrett and Dessie decided to persist with ....

... and Tom Wright quit .with a year to run on his contract ... and the club ... not Barrett ... were happy to let him .... (even though he knew some new wonder coach would come in and make him a star) ... just to go back to his preferred game of Rugby ... where tackling is only optional ...

Good players take their chances and force their selection by attitude and performance .... the ones that don't hang around pubs and tell anyone that will listen ... "I would have been a star .. if only I had a good coach" ....

I would generally agree with you except in the case of Manly 16 - 18....

TB didn't have a clue and continually played guys that did a job instead of blooding young players who had talent. While every side needs average Joe they dont need average coach playing average Joe to protect a mediocre plan.... mr Mediocre only did well with the immortal pulling the strings and when he was cut loose in 18 we nearly had the spoon.....

Surely hand on heart you can't tell me that had Tom Wright been given a wing spot instead of say Matthew Wright and a bit of a chance such as Des did for Garrick things couldn't have been different?

You, me and the rest on here will never know so in the end it doesn't matter I guess.

Wow. Ok sure.

I will bow to your obvious supreme knowledge of rugby league but before I do just a few uneducated observations.

The great TB had his favourites and the two players you mention were not in his band of brothers boys club.

I believe had Tom Wright been given more than just 2 games he could have become a great player. He had his problems for sure but that's what a good coach and team can fix.... I would have loved to see Wright mentored by the likes of Ballen and Brett Stewart.

Parcell was always going to be second choice to Api give TB bought him over. I think he had a future and the boss didn't. Remind be where the super coach is now?

Finally imagine Des version 1.0 all those years ago looking at a young Albert Hoparte and going yeah might just play some mediocre journey man instead. Wouldnt have happened.

All about the coach.....
You’re out of your depth mate.

If it was just Barrett, don’t you think other coaches like Bellamy and Robinson would be chasing Parcell and Wright? After all, you’ve seen that they can be great, so it would make sense that the elite coaches would get somewhere near your level of understanding?!

And don’t get all “wow” with me...you’re the one that spat the dummy with your “myth” complaint as if YOU were somehow superior. If you’re gonna dish out, you gotta expect it back.

Last edited:
You’re out of your depth mate.

If it was just Barrett, don’t you think other coaches like Bellamy and Robinson would be chasing Parcell and Wright? After all, you’ve seen that they can be great, so it would make sense that the elite coaches would get somewhere near your level of understanding?!

And don’t get all “wow” with me...you’re the one that spat the dummy with your “myth” complaint as if YOU were somehow superior. If you’re gonna dish out, you gotta expect it back.

Oooo. Dont get all wow with me yeah? Whatever supercoach.... see ya.....

I would generally agree with you except in the case of Manly 16 - 18....

TB didn't have a clue and continually played guys that did a job instead of blooding young players who had talent. While every side needs average Joe they dont need average coach playing average Joe to protect a mediocre plan.... mr Mediocre only did well with the immortal pulling the strings and when he was cut loose in 18 we nearly had the spoon.....

Surely hand on heart you can't tell me that had Tom Wright been given a wing spot instead of say Matthew Wright and a bit of a chance such as Des did for Garrick things couldn't have been different?

You, me and the rest on here will never know so in the end it doesn't matter I guess.
This season has proved beyond any doubt, that Barrett was completely out of his depth.

So far the players have come out and said they are watching video several times a week with Des... I mean really???

That they spent the off season getting fit and learning defensive structures...

Aaaand that everyone understands their role within the team.

There are many other examples of Barrett’s ineptitude, but if people don’t get it by now they probably never will. Trent’s the bloke who sits in the pub telling everyone what a great coach he could have been if Bob Fulton had of stuck around. The guy who tries to claim credit for this season’s success through the media.

Embarrassing really.

This season has proved beyond any doubt, that Barrett was completely out of his depth.

So far the players have come out and said they are watching video several times a week with Des... I mean really???

That they spent the off season getting fit and learning defensive structures...

Aaaand that everyone understands their role within the team.

There are many other examples of Barrett’s ineptitude but if people don’t get it by now they probably never will. Trent’s the bloke who sits in the pub telling everyone what a great coach he could have been if Bob Fulton had of stuck around. The guy who tries to claim credit for this season’s success through the media.

Embarrassing.
And then ends up back exactly where he started...

Is there a reason we can't turn Fainu into an 80 minute hooker ?? Do we need to run with the two hooker system ?? Scam plays 80, Cook plays 80, Friend / Verrills plays 80, Hodgson plays 80. All the top 4 teams run a single hooker - must be something in that I reckon

I wouldn't be wasting a bench spot and salary cap space on a bench hooker that's going to play 20 minutes moving forward. Let's get Fainu conditioned for 80 minutes and let him do his stuff. He has played 80 before so he is capable, just needs to get used to it week in week out. Parcell is old news, can't see any value in bringing him back.

I definitely think we should look at playing Fainu for 80 minutes and carry a forward on the bench who can pass out of dummy half in case **** happens

Watching Fainu play for more than 80 minutes in our victory against the Storm was one of this season’s biggest highlights for me

Think that Matty had quite a few injury issues during his short stay with Manly also . Admittedly a step down from N R l level but Parcell was dynamic in the QLD cup a few years ago so is certainly a good natural footy player . Durability , requirement for a high defensive workload and injuries seemed to hamper his progress in the N R l . One of those individuals with really good potential who found stepping up to N R l level a bit difficult . As for Tom Wright , still an open question as to how he may have gone as a winger if given the opportunity by Barrett , can not go past Garrick and Jorge now of course but again with Tom Wright , should have been given more opportunity last season , especially taking into account last year's grim times for a good part of the season .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7