Matt Parcell

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Is there a reason we can't turn Fainu into an 80 minute hooker ?? Do we need to run with the two hooker system ?? Scam plays 80, Cook plays 80, Friend / Verrills plays 80, Hodgson plays 80. All the top 4 teams run a single hooker - must be something in that I reckon

I wouldn't be wasting a bench spot and salary cap space on a bench hooker that's going to play 20 minutes moving forward. Let's get Fainu conditioned for 80 minutes and let him do his stuff. He has played 80 before so he is capable, just needs to get used to it week in week out. Parcell is old news, can't see any value in bringing him back.

I would think in a year or two he would be - which is why we were looking at Luke for a 1 year deal

I always found Parcell extremely underwhelming and never understood the hype on here around his play
To be fair I watched him regularly in QCup, and he was a star in the lower grades.

Sadly in the big league that didn’t transpose.

My “ beating his drum “ was based on what I’d seen, however that soon changed to the fact he just wasn’t up to par for First Grade.

To be fair I watched him regularly in QCup, and he was a star in the lower grades.

Sadly in the big league that didn’t transpose.

My “ beating his drum “ was based on what I’d seen, however that soon changed to the fact he just wasn’t up to par for First Grade.
He was absolutely red hot in the QCup... looked a sure thing to make it in the NRL.

Fainu will become an 80 minute player next year. He has a bung shoulder at present and we need Api on the bench.

There is so much more than meets the eye when it comes to players making it in FG. Tom Wright scored a fantastic try against the Dragons in Wollongong in 2018 and people got very excited. The reality is the guy had no game awareness to speak of whatsoever. Sure, he can step and run fast, but so can Matt Dufty and we all know how that worked out. You cannot simply judge a player based on raw skill. Tom Wright was a turn style with a bag tricks that might jag a consolation try on a cold night in Wollongong when the season is dead, but what sort of game would he bring to NRL week in, week out, against quality opposition? The answer is nothing.

He didn't fail because of Trent Barrett, he didn't fail because he didn't get enough of an opportunity. He never earned the opportunity in the first place because he was busy grubbering the ball to himself in his own in-goal. Coaches think about those sorts of things when they decide whether to play a guy in FG or re-sign him to the club. He was watched closely by recruitment staff across the NRL and no one wanted him for a reason. If these recruitment guys made decisions based on spectacular consolation tries alone, he would be the starting half back for the Melbourne Storm next week against Parramatta.

He plays in the hardest position in the game, one where (apart from Smith) few players excel at quickly. Considering he played less than 10 games I am not sure how anyone, at that point, could really judge
He was a young football player who happened to be shredding apart opposing teams in the QCup... So, it did seem plausible he might be capable of making it in the NRL.

Obviously, the Manly recruitment team who signed him at the time shared the same opinion.

A sure thing? No, but definitely showed plenty for Ipswich playing against men with first grade experience to justify the hype.

Last edited:
He was a young football player who happened to be shredding apart opposing teams in the QCup... So, it did seem plausible he might be capable of making it in the NRL.

Obviously, the Manly recruitment team who signed him at the time shared the same opinion.

A sure thing? No, but definitely showed plenty for Ipswich playing against men with first grade experience to justify the hype.
You are right in saying that potential was evident but It is also an illusion that players are signed with a “make or break” mentality.
Recruitment officers deliberately look for bargain basement buys to balance the cap and provide either (a) injury cover, or (b) a bench impact role.

Koroisau was always purchased to be our starting 9 in 2016 and Parcell was our injury and impact position. He did his job and then it became apparent that he could earn coin overseas and the club let him go accordingly.

Tanginoa was released early, not because the club didn’t think he offered anything, but he wasn’t about to take a starting position and the UK came knocking...we let him go earlier than we wanted to, in order to help him out. If he played extra NRL games for us this year, he wouldn’t have been eligible to transfer to super league under their rules.

I guess the point I am trying to make is recruitment is complex and guys like Parcell and Wright are purchased for specific reasons, not necessarily because the club sees a star on the horizon.

Agree totally.

The guy started his career coached by the worst coach in Manly history!!
Hardly got a decent shot. Everyone rightfully bags Barrett as a coach and if I remember Barrett made it very clear he got rid of Matt because he didn’t suit his “coaching style” . His coaching was a joke.
Look at how other players improved under Des. Parker was unbelieveably bad and has become a reasonable first grader.
I don’t think we need him but I would not rule out him playing NRL for someone just yet.

Last edited:
He plays in the hardest position in the game, one where (apart from Smith) few players excel at quickly. Considering he played less than 10 games I am not sure how anyone, at that point, could really judge
There are
You are right in saying that potential was evident but It is also an illusion that players are signed with a “make or break” mentality.
Recruitment officers deliberately look for bargain basement buys to balance the cap and provide either (a) injury cover, or (b) a bench impact role.

Koroisau was always purchased to be our starting 9 in 2016 and Parcell was our injury and impact position. He did his job and then it became apparent that he could earn coin overseas and the club let him go accordingly.

Tanginoa was released early, not because the club didn’t think he offered anything, but he wasn’t about to take a starting position and the UK came knocking...we let him go earlier than we wanted to, in order to help him out. If he played extra NRL games for us this year, he wouldn’t have been eligible to transfer to super league under their rules.

I guess the point I am trying to make is recruitment is complex and guys like Parcell and Wright are purchased for specific reasons, not necessarily because the club sees a star on the horizon.
very nice summation...

Agree totally. Hardly got a decent shot. Everyone rightfully bags Barrett as a coach and Barrett got rid of Matt because he didn’t suit his disgraceful coaching style.
Look at how other players improved under Des. Parker was unbelieveably bad and has become a decent first grader.
I don’t think we need him but I would rule out him playing NRL just yet.
I don’t think he offered much outside of a dart out of dummy half...he was very limited in terms of deception from the ruck and variation. The other issue is carving up QLD cup is very different to FG. The ruck is much slower in FG because teams are better at slowing it down. It’s incorrect to assume that all aspects of FG are a step up in speed from lower grades. The game is actually faster at under 20 level because of the lack of wrestle, hence the inflated score lines. Certain styles of player suit the different levels.

In saying that, I do think a team could do worse than use him as a bench impact option. He won’t let you down if he only has to play a simple role and costs very little.

As for Parker...He is on borrowed time in FG. We are cumbersome in attack down his edge and it’s ok to be solid if you are mistake free, but he makes too many errors to be carried long term. Reinforcements will arrive when the cap permits.

I don’t think he offered anything outside of a dart out of dummy half...he was very limited in terms of deception from the ruck and variation. The other issue is carving up QLD cup is very different to FG. The ruck is much slower in FG because teams are better at slowing it down. It’s incorrect to assume that all aspects of FG are a step up in speed from lower grades. The game is actually faster at under 20 level because of the lack of wrestle, hence the inflated score lines. Certain styles of player suit the different levels.

As for Parker...He is on borrowed time in FG. We are cumbersome in attack down his edge and it’s ok to be solid if you are mistake free, but he makes too many errors to be carried long term. Reinforcements will arrive when the cap permits.
I agree 100 per cent Parker is on borrowed time but he was embarrassing under Barrett. A great coach got him to a level where he could do a job.We need more than that now but he improved out of sight.

I suppose I’m just saying I’m not willing to write off a kid who I think has a bit of talent because he didn’t show it after a dozen games under a first grade coach who had absolutely no idea and is an A grade goose.

And to be honest did the bloke ahead of Matt do much better under Barrett. Our ruck play and consequently our red zone attack was a joke for three long years and hence our feeble results.The one year we went ok was off the back of a million offloads and a decent five eight, not because of improvement in the ruck.

Only Des and Fainu assisting API has it reached a standard where we mix it with the best sides.

Last edited:
Agree totally.

The guy started his career coached by the worst coach in Manly history!!
Hardly got a decent shot. Everyone rightfully bags Barrett as a coach and if I remember Barrett made it very clear he got rid of Matt because he didn’t suit his “coaching style” . His coaching was a joke.
Look at how other players improved under Des. Parker was unbelieveably bad and has become a reasonable first grader.
I don’t think we need him but I would not rule out him playing NRL for someone just yet.
Couldn’t agree more @susan.

I agree Parker is on borrowed time but he was embarrassing under Barrett. A great coach got him to a level where he could go a job.We need more than that now but he improved out of sight.

I suppose I’m just saying I’m not willing to write off a kid who I think has a bit of talent because he didn’t show it after a dozen games under a first grade coach who had absolutely no idea and is an A grade goose.

And to be honest did the bloke ahead of Matt do much better under Barrett. Our ruck play and consequently our red zone attack was a joke for three long years and hence our feeble results.The one year we went ok was off the back of a million offloads and a decent five eight, not because of improvement in the ruck.

Only Des and Fainu assisting API has it reached a standard where we mix it with the best sides.
Can’t argue with any of that.

You’re spot about why we succeeded in 2017 too.

judge the potential but it has to take a while to adjust to NRL level at hooker

judge the potential but it has to take a while to adjust to NRL level at hooker
Quite right but some adjust quicker than others and that can be all it takes.

Try this on for size...

Parcell and Api - Parcell gets an opportunity at a time when Koroisau is yet to establish himself as a week to week proposition, is injured and no guarantee to be on other clubs shopping lists.
Parcell winds up in SL and Koroisau stays, gets better and is even talked about as a potential SOO 9.

Fainu and Api - Fainu gets an opportunity at a time when Koroisau is injured, however Api is a fully established week to week proposition and is on plenty of clubs shopping lists.
Fainu ends up becoming the clubs first choice 9 and Api winds up out the door to Penrith.

Big difference.

BACK TO THE FUTURE!

Matty Parcell off contract at the end of the year. Has played plenty of good footy in the ESL and still think his game is absolutely perfectly suited for the modern game.

Regardless of Fainu outcome would love to have him back in our squad.

For those who will say we already have Lawton as back up hooker, I propose Lawton takes the JetSki role with Parcell either starting hooker or the bench hooker. His speed and craftiness around the ruck would be deadly in the modern game and carrying both Lawton and Parcell on the bench would give our side great versatility and increased mobility.

Strong Buy

Disclaimer: I am not Matt Parcell nor affiliated with Matt Parcell’s management, family, local butcher or gentleman’s establishment.......

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8