Matt Lodge... Signed.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Yep, it would be a big advantage to have a prop who plays 70 mins. Give him a spell at halftime and bring him back on with 30 mins to go. Then we could play a more mobile lock like Matto. Siebold did mention he sees Jake Arthur as a potential ball playing lock.
Lodge averaged 60 minutes at the Broncos under Seibold (2019). In several games, he played close to the 70-minute mark. I don't see why he can't do the same (50-60 minutes) for us. Particularly now.

Sipley should only play 15-20 minutes in one initial solid block (The same with Paseka). I would have Lodge play 25-30 to start, then give him a spell for 10 minutes either side of halftime, and bring him back for the last 25-30 minutes in the second half. Jake starts at lock and comes into the prop rotation after 15-20 minutes, allowing Matterson to play that mobile lock role for 15-20 minutes, in two blocks. (Again, either side of halftime)

Theoretically, that leaves us with 20 minutes (approx) to fill (at prop/lock) from the 50-60 minute mark. Paseka when fit is the obvious choice to do that. However, with Sipley and Keppie in the seventeen, it should be split between both of them.

Further to that, I think Bullemore should take Lodges' spot either side of halftime, leaving us with a fresh, mobile forward on the bench that could cover the lock, back row and prop positions. At the moment, that seems to be a choice of Aloiai (when fit) or Keppie. I would argue that neither of them is really suitable for this role. What we need here is a Naufahu Whyte or a Siua Wong type player. I think either one of these two would be ideal.

We shouldn't need Woods on the bench using this rotation. Obviously, he couldn't cover that additional utility forward role I am suggesting (neither could Lawton), and hopefully, he (Woods) spends most of 2024 as the Blacktown Workers captain. This rotation also means we could carry both Matterson and Humphries/GCKT on the bench in 2024.

I can't see Jake Arthur being anything else for us than depth, but it definitely would be worthwhile for him to be given a chance at dummy half and in that potential ball-playing lock position that you mention @Thewestisbest at Blacktown.

Last edited:
Lodge averaged 60 minutes at the Broncos under Seibold (2019). In several games, he played close to the 70-minute mark. I don't see why he can't do the same (50-60 minutes) for us. Particularly now.

Sipley should only play 15-20 minutes in one initial solid block (The same with Paseka). I would have Lodge play 25-30 to start, then give him a spell for 10 minutes either side of halftime, and bring him back for the last 25-30 minutes in the second half. Jake starts at lock and comes into the prop rotation after 15-20 minutes, allowing Matterson to play that mobile lock role for 15-20 minutes (Again, either side of halftime). That leaves us with 20-30 minutes to fill from the 50-60 minute mark. Paseka when fit is the obvious choice to do that. However, with Sipley and Keppie in the seventeen, it should be split between both of them.

Further to that, I think Bullemore should take Lodges' spot either side of halftime, leaving us with a fresh, mobile forward on the bench that could cover the lock, back row and prop positions. At the moment, that seems to be a choice of Aloiai (when fit) or Keppie. I would argue that neither of them is really suitable for this role. What we need here is a Naufahu Whyte or a Siua Wong type player. I think one of these two could be ideal. That leaves us with 20 minutes to fill

We shouldn't need Woods on the bench using this rotation. Obviously, he couldn't cover that utility forward role I am suggesting, and hopefully, he spends 2024 as the Blacktown Workers captain. This rotation also means we could carry both Matterson and Humphries/GCKT on the bench in 2024.

I can't see Jake Arthur being anything else for us than depth, but it definitely would be worthwhile for him to be given a chance at dummy half and in that potential ball-playing lock position that you mention @Thewestisbest at Blacktown.
Nice summary.

I like a lot of the rotational suggestions you have tossed up here.

It's nice to think we may finally have some quality options moving forward.

Jake was part of the package deal with Tom. If we had signed only Jake, you could probably shave of 400k off on what he's on now.

It's not very good business, they are local juniors and were never a serious threat of leaving... yet we ended up paying absolute top dollar for both Tom and Jake, both on long-term deals.

It's not very good business, they are local juniors and were never a serious threat of leaving... yet we ended up paying absolute top dollar for both Tom and Jake, both on long-term deals.
True, but to secure Tommy this had to be done, remember the Bulldogs wanted both Turbo at 1.5m and Jurbo at nearly the same money.

When Matt Lodge left Brisbane it wasn't because he did anything untoward or started kicking stones at training. They were flush with exceptional middles and needed to free up space for an edge backrower and a dominant half. That kind of thing happens all the time. Enter Capewell and Reynolds.

The reason for his falling out at the Warriors is a little more contentious. But this is what Warriors owner Mark Robinson said about the matter.

"We had an argument in a hotel, two alpha males in a pub last December," Robinson told the Daily Telegraph.

"Two days later we shook hands and moved on but it never came right.

"He was unhappy so I bought him out of his option for next year and we parted ways."

Robinson wouldn't say what the argument was about.

"Just two men and attitude and whatever. It's seven months ago.

"There's no bad blood with Matt Lodge at all.

"It was a simple business transaction. He had an option for next season so he was entitled to a severance package, as would any employee out there who has a contract with their employer."

Now, in all my years following the game, I have NEVER seen a club owner/power broker get into a drunken altercation with a player and release a statement like this. The fact he then buys Lodge out suggests Mark Robinson may have been at fault here. Otherwise Matthew's contract would be terminated for breaching the behavioral code of his deal. Again, it happens all the time.

That leaves the Roosters and I have posted earlier in this thread that Matthew believed he was going to be offered a two year extension before the Chooks reneged. Make of that what you will.

There has been PLENTY of NRL player scandals and crimes since Lodge was charged over eight years ago, but none of them were committed by Matthew.

Go hard Lodgey! I hope management get you locked in to a new contract soon. We have been crying out for a big, mean no nonsense prop for a while. Keep playing like you did on Sunday and you might go down as the best signing we have made in years.
A hard man is good to find.

Lodge is at Manly at least for the time being, and yeah, I still watched last weeks game, but no need for anyone pretend he is not a controversial addition to the club. I expect it would take a couple of years, not one game, for a lot of Sea Eagle fans to be convinced his talent was worth the gamble.

When Matt Lodge left Brisbane it wasn't because he did anything untoward or started kicking stones at training. They were flush with exceptional middles and needed to free up space for an edge backrower and a dominant half. That kind of thing happens all the time. Enter Capewell and Reynolds.
Not sure what your source is, but this account is very different to ones I've seen published, such as the link below, which includes this:
"According to the Courier Mail, Walters and his coaching staff considered the prop a 'divisive and destabilising character' who would not fit within the team ethos the Broncos coach was trying to mould."

Not to mention, how does paying a guy $1m to play elsewhere free up space in your salary cap (not saying it can't happen, maybe someone can explain it). The news report makes more sense.

I want Manly to win games and Lodge has value on the field, at least if he keeps playing as he did v Sharks. Meanwhile I commend the views very well expressed above by @Uber Eagle 72

Lodge is at Manly at least for the time being, and yeah, I still watched last weeks game, but no need for anyone pretend he is not a controversial addition to the club. I expect it would take a couple of years, not one game, for a lot of Sea Eagle fans to be convinced his talent was worth the gamble.

Not sure what your source is, but this account is very different to ones I've seen published, such as the link below, which includes this:
"According to the Courier Mail, Walters and his coaching staff considered the prop a 'divisive and destabilising character' who would not fit within the team ethos the Broncos coach was trying to mould."

Not to mention, how does paying a guy $1m to play elsewhere free up space in your salary cap (not saying it can't happen, maybe someone can explain it). The news report makes more sense.

I want Manly to win games and Lodge has value on the field, at least if he keeps playing as he did v Sharks. Meanwhile I commend the views very well expressed above by @Uber Eagle 72

Matt Lodge’s golden handshake: Star prop to be paid $700,000 of Warriors’ salary cap​

The Warriors have gone into hiding over the bizarre decision to give Matt Lodge a $700,000 golden handshake - a move that could cause severe ramifications for the club next season

Broncos Release Matt Lodge

Further details of Matt Lodge’s exit from the Broncos have emerged as the front rower braces to face his former side when Brisbane battle the Roosters on Thursday night.

The Broncos agreed to pay up to $1 million of Lodge’s salary to facilitate his departure from Red Hill, a move that came under intense scrutiny at the time.

“You try not to be critical of Brisbane as a former player but I don’t think we can believe anything that’s coming out of that place at the moment,” Brent Tate said on ‘NRL Tonight’ in the wake of Lodge’s exit to the Warriors.
Kevvie came out and said they’d stay and if Matt Lodge goes, honestly, I think clubs are built on trust and at the moment there doesn’t seem to be that at that club.

“There’s different messages coming from all different people within the ranks and I hope for Matt Lodge’s sake he gets to go to a club because he’s been so up in the air and I know how difficult that would be for a player who plays on passion and emotion. Matt Lodge was a redemption story and it was great to have him back. He did all the tough work he had to do while playing for Redcliffe to get back into the NRL. He completely gave up the drink and was a model citizen while he was with us."
 Speaking to News Corp ahead of Thursday’s game, lock forward Pat Carrigan was full of praise for his former teammate.
He’s a halfback in a front-rower’s body, he’s actually a very smart footballer and he taught me a lot about the game.
I am grateful for a lot of the stuff Lodgey did for us younger blokes here. He gave us that introduction to first grade. We had some good battles on the training ground so he will be up for this one and we will be too.”

“Lodgey always plays well and I’m sure he will step up against us, I’m excited for him,” he said.

I see your article is from the Daily Mail in the UK. I think the Australian media might be more accurate in this instance. The article below is from the NRL. I highlighted a part of this article in reference to your question about how the Broncos contributing 1 million helps their salary cap.

GO LODGEY!

Broncos pay Lodge's way to Warriors as Capewell commits​

Matt Lodge will be in Warriors colours by the weekend as his immediate move will see Brisbane to contribute close to $1 million of his wage over the next two and half seasons.

Just days after Broncos coach Kevin Walters said Lodge would be staying put for the rest of 2021, negotiations around an early release for the 26-year-old gathered pace this week with the Warriors announcing the deal on Thursday afternoon.

Lodge will not play for the Broncos this week in Sunday's clash against Cronulla, instead joining the Warriors' Terrigal camp over the weekend with plans to be available for their round 17 game, also against the Sharks.

NRL.com understands that Lodge's Warriors move will involve the terms of his first 2023 player option at the Broncos being taken across to the Kiwi side.

Lodge's Brisbane contract ranks as one of the most lucrative for a prop in the NRL, and it's understood the club will contribute almost a seven-figure sum to his Warriors wage should Lodge take up his player option after 2022.

Lodge thanked Broncos supporters in the club's release announcement on Thursday, having made the most of a rugby league lifeline at Red Hill when 2015 assault charges in New York threatened his NRL career.

"I've always tried my best for the club and for the jersey," Lodge said.

"I'd like to thank everyone at the club including the fans and sponsors who have helped me along my journey in recent years.”

His release, even with the significant freight Brisbane will pay, allows Walters and new football director Ben Ikin to realign a salary cap that has been badly bent out of shape by big-money, long-term deals.

Lodge's move to the Warriors was formalised on the same day as Kurt Capewell's signing from Penrith for next season.

Capewell's three-year deal is in its own right a significant coup for Walters.

The Queensland Origin utility's commitment to Red Hill until the end of 2024 saw him knock back the Panthers' own short-term retention bid, a similar offer from the Cowboys and the chance to link with a prospective Brisbane expansion team.

The rapid-fire roster movements however come in stark contrast to Walters' comments earlier when in the week, when he declared "no one's going anywhere".

Walters specifically said he had told Lodge and fellow forward Tevita Pangai jnr that they would both be "staying here", in a bid to "get some security, some safety around the players on their futures".

But with both players being given permission to negotiate moves for 2022 and beyond, the reality is discussions around Lodge's exit continued behind closed doors, resulting in an early release that has been touted since February.

"In recent days an opportunity has emerged the satisfies both the club and Matt, and while it is not ideal for players to leave during the season, we believe this result is the right one for both parties," Broncos CEO Dave Donaghy said.

"Stability is important for our squad and our club but so too is making the right decisions for the long term, and sometimes those decisions aren't easy."

Capewell's signing is the third major acquisition for next year at Red Hill, joining Rabbitohs captain Adam Reynolds and Storm outside back Brenko Lee on Brisbane's books.

For the Warriors, Lodge joins a prime beef front-row rotation that already includes Tongan internationals Addin Fonua-Blake and Ben Murdoch-Masila.

NRL.com understands Murdoch-Masila has also taken up a 2022 and 2023 player option in his own Warriors contract, that could have been triggered on personal grounds if he and his family struggled with the club's COVID-19 enforced relocation to Australia.

Lodge's signing caps a helter skelter period for Warriors recruitment boss Peter O'Sullivan, who is the father of Lodge's partner Jessica.

Mid-season recruits Chad Townsend and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak will both turn out against the Dragons this Friday, while coach Nathan Brown hailed Lodge's impressive form this season in a struggling Broncos side.

"Matt will add more experience and real size to further boost our front-row resources," Brown said.

"We like what he has to offer us as a big body in the middle of the park with his ability to play big minutes and his impressive great work rate. He'll be a great addition to our squad."

Last edited:

The Daily Mail UK also published this interview with Matt Lodge.

'The old boys of Brisbane are very publicly opinionated more than any other club,' Lodge told News Corp.
'I guess they're proud, and a lot never took to me being signed, let alone being asked to captain the club,' Lodge said.

'They were all Kevvie's mates and I knew if he got the job I was gone, even if I was playing well. I knew it wasn't footy related.

'Kevvie got the job and he rang my agent within the first day to move me on and said he would pay whatever it takes.

'In the end, I sat down with Kevvie at least five times (to discuss his future).

'Each time he changed his mind, and that repeated through the pre-season and premiership games, right up until the day I signed my papers to leave.

'My head was just gone. It was a tough day leaving the Broncos, but I knew my time there was up. It's a brutal game and when your heart's not in it playing for your coach, you are as good as retired.'
Matt Lodge, pictured with his fiance Jessica and son, has slammed the Broncos 'old boys' for his treatment despite his career lifeline

+6
View gallery
Matt Lodge, pictured with his fiance Jessica and son, has slammed the Broncos 'old boys' for his treatment despite his career lifeline
Lodge (right) is now at the Roosters, and thriving, after a stint with the Warriors since leaving Brisbane

+6
View gallery
Lodge (right) is now at the Roosters, and thriving, after a stint with the Warriors since leaving Brisbane
Lodge is grateful to those at the Brisbane club who did think he was worth a second chance, though.

'I'll always appreciate what the Broncos and Redcliffe did for me. I don't think many other coaches could have endured the backlash so I'll always be thankful to Wayne and Peter Nolan (former Broncos football boss) was like a dad to me.

'I worked so hard for those first couple of years in the NRL. I basically played for free (to fund compensation for the victims of his incident in America) and I finally earned a five-year deal.

'I loved the Broncos. I felt I owed them and was prepared to play my whole career there.'

Matt has certainly received a lot of payouts from the informative posts above. 1million from the donkeys, 700k from the Broncos and a 600k contract paid out recently by the Roosters. If this is supposed to put some doubting minds at rest it certainly does not work for me. Time will tell.

Interesting question and with most indications Manly would prefer to extend Lodge 's stay , how much he would be worth from Manly 's perspective or his expectations .
Some references last week that he may have sort of a value in the 600 k range
Maybe in the ball park figure but proviso for Manly "s best interest , that he can maintain last week "s excellent form level or close to it and offer some good stability in general .
Really did make a difference with his presence against the Sharks and even some handy off loads .
Disgraceful really that Paseka now has a season ending [ or apparently ] injury , just should never have been and totally unfair to be put in that totally vulnerable position .
Would have really boosted the pack "s effectiveness with him and Lodge playing big minutes for the remainder of the season .
Ideally Bully , Sipley and Keppie will have a red hot go and will really have to in order to compensate for Tent "s absence now . Could even be a case to give Sam Fainu a go as a prop if this grouping and Woodsie can not measure up in the remaining games and to help Manly still being in the running

Matt has certainly received a lot of payouts from the informative posts above. 1million from the donkeys, 700k from the Broncos and a 600k contract paid out recently by the Roosters. If this is supposed to put some doubting minds at rest it certainly does not work for me. Time will tell.
The Roosters paid out $600k? Where did you hear that?

This snippet is from Fox Sports.

Lodge is currently earning around $300,000-per-season and the club’s salary cap is already reportedly stretched thin, meaning they won’t be replacing the front rower.

Whether you like Matthew or not, at least stick to the reported facts.

This is from the same article. People need to stop making stuff up to support their own bias.

Panthers prop Spencer Leniu has already signed a contract to join the Tricolours from 2024, putting pen to paper on a deal reportedly worth upwards of $500,000-per-season.

The Roosters decision to hand veteran enforcer Jared Waerea-Hargreaves reportedly sealed Lodge’s fate.

This is from the Sydney Morning Herald.

The Roosters haven’t got the money for another middle forward, given they will welcome premiership-winning Panthers forward Spencer Leniu in 2024.

Lodge’s management last week again asked the club for a release, the third request in a month. This time, the club agreed to part ways with the front-rower.

Roosters props Matt Lodge and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.

Roosters props Matt Lodge and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS

It’s unclear whether a deal has been done at a rival club. Lodge is on a contract worth about $300,000 at the Roosters this season, and is still attending training despite the fact he is unlikely to play for the Tricolours again.

“I think I’ll be heading on at this point,” Lodge said.

“I’m just happy to play my role ... whether it ends here, at the end of the year or if it’s longer. I’ve enjoyed my time here and I am enjoying my time here, so it’s good.
“I’m on a reduced [deal]. I was probably under the assumption that I was going to stay longer when I did that, and we did speak about that, but the situation changed.”

Sporting News posted the article below

Speaking to the media prior to the side's Round 15 clash with Penrith, Lodge revealed a recent discussion with head coach Trent Robinson gave him some further clarity on his place at Bondi.

“I know they were trying and I’ve had a chat with Robbo about that and he was apologetic about that," Lodge said.

"It is what it is, that’s the game and it’s a business. It will be a little bit hard to stay here... I don’t love floating and bouncing around though.

"Obviously Jared is gonna play on now. I probably stayed this year assuming that there was a long-term thing, but things have changed and I’m all good with that.

"At the moment, Lindsay [Collins] and Jared are doing well and they are the starting props here. I’m probably a bit limited with minutes and stuff like that… I’ve had a couple of injuries as well.

"I’m looking to play some more consistent and better footy in the weeks ahead."

The Roosters paid out $600k? Where did you hear that?

This snippet is from Fox Sports.

Lodge is currently earning around $300,000-per-season and the club’s salary cap is already reportedly stretched thin, meaning they won’t be replacing the front rower.

Whether you like Matthew or not, at least stick to the reported facts.
Not my intention to misrepresent facts but it’s safe to say his received 3 of them from the last 3 clubs he has played for and it would add to a tidy sum to say the least. If that’s doesn’t invoke some kind of apprehension nothing will. Enjoy the rest of your day mate.

Not really. Doesn't explain any benefit to the salary cap. Brisbane wanted Lodge out, to bring in other players they presumably thought would be better leaders - even at a huge salary cap cost. You even quote an article saying he "slammed the Broncos old boys" which suggests it wasn't an amicable end to his Brisbane stint.

Same at Chooks - they've paid him for the entire year. Even though they are in a desperate battle for top 4, they preferred a qualty prop to just get the hell outta here, so to speak!

Anyway time will tell if he works out well at Manly. Maybe your faith in Lodge and mine in Seibold are in inverse proportion when it comes to hopeful v skeptical.

Not my intention to misrepresent facts but it’s safe to say his received 3 of them from the last 3 clubs he has played for and it would add to a tidy sum to say the least. If that’s doesn’t invoke some kind of apprehension nothing will. Enjoy the rest of your day mate.
I sure will, you too.

Not really. Doesn't explain any benefit to the salary cap. Brisbane wanted Lodge out, to bring in other players they presumably thought would be better leaders - even at a huge salary cap cost. You even quote an article saying he "slammed the Broncos old boys" which suggests it wasn't an amicable end to his Brisbane stint.

Same at Chooks - they've paid him for the entire year. Even though they are in a desperate battle for top 4, they preferred a qualty prop to just get the hell outta here, so to speak!

Anyway time will tell if he works out well at Manly. Maybe your faith in Lodge and mine in Seibold are in inverse proportion when it comes to hopeful v skeptical.
It's all in the mathematics buddy. Lodge was on a contract reportedly worth 4million over five years.

His release, even with the significant freight Brisbane will pay, allows Walters and new football director Ben Ikin to realign a salary cap that has been badly bent out of shape by big-money, long-term deals.

Lodge's move to the Warriors was formalised on the same day as Kurt Capewell's signing from Penrith for next season.

The main difference between our views on Lodge and Spoony, is that I hope Anthony defies the odds and helps Manly win another premiership. Nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong and labelled a goose in this instance. I'm fairly certain you don't feel the same way about Lodgey.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8