Manly's survival

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
NRL 360 ran with the story of relocation again tonight and no prizes for guessing who they said is the most vulnerable, although they did say geographically Manly are vital as they are the only team between the Northern beaches and Newcastle.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/5496817855eab310fa6973d8c8941adb

As far as I understand, the proviso is that if they need financial assistance from the NRL, then they will get it... so long as they relocate.

This is not a new development, the story is just being rehashed from HQ. No guarantees they won't try to cynically exert financial pressure on whoever they want to pack up and move though.

How is that surprising when the favourite non footy game of every NRL supporter is hating Manly? It’s been decades. Over that time, several whole new generations have been born into Manly hating households. While we wear the hatred as a badge of honour this will never change.

Whilst we wear your excuses badge nothing will ever change as excuses never change anything .

This us against them hatred you are talking about makes true supporters even more committed to their great club .

I have never known a Manly fan that stopped supporting their club because others despised the Manly club for its success .

Our club despite the hate was one of the most successful clubs in the modern era and it gave us Manly fans plenty of joy and success and many reasons why we should embrace our clubs success and give it back the respect that it deserves through club membership

Look back through our club history records and you will find our supporters were always the least committed to our club as far as club membership support goes

And some things unfortunately never change because Manly fair weather supporters complacent attitude has never changed .

Parra supporters have been the laughing stock of the NRL as their club has not given them any joy for over 40 years . During the 40 year period the parra club shamed their supporters with off field club corruption and on field with wooden spoons .

We even have a LOL Parra thread on our forum. Has this stopped the passionate Parra fans for coming out in droves committing to their club and becoming proud club members? No way !!!

You have to respect and admire the Eels fans passion and love for their club that despite all the embarrassment that their club has given them over 40 years , they stood by their club where it mostly counts and that is through club membership support .

The only Manly supporter badge of honour is the one bellow and we should all wear it with pride just like other club members do
core-silver.jpg

Last edited:
Whilst we wear your excuses badge nothing will ever change as excuses never change anything .

This us against them hatred you are talking about makes true supporters even more committed to their great club .

I have never known a Manly fan that stopped supporting their club because others despised the Manly club for its success .

Our club despite the hate was one of the most successful clubs in the modern era and it gave us Manly fans plenty of joy and success and many reasons why we should embrace our clubs success and give it back the respect that it deserves through club membership

Look back through our club history records and you will find our supporters were always the least committed to our club as far as club membership support goes

And some things unfortunately never change because Manly fair weather supporters complacent attitude has never changed .

Parra supporters have been the laughing stock of the NRL as their club has not given them any joy for over 40 years . During the 40 year period the parra club shamed their supporters with off field club corruption and on field with wooden spoons .

We even have a LOL Parra thread on our forum. Has this stopped the passionate Parra fans for coming out in droves committing to their club and becoming proud club members? No way !!!

You have to respect and admire the Eels fans passion and love for their club that despite all the embarrassment that their club has given them over 40 years they stood by their club where it mostly counts and that is through club membership support .

The only Manly supporter badge of honour is the one bellow and we should all wear it with pride just like other club members do
View attachment 10954
In case you can’t be bothered reading my post, I was talking about getting new fans darl.

NRL 360 ran with the story of relocation again tonight and no prizes for guessing who they said is the most vulnerable, although they did say geographically Manly are vital as they are the only team between the Northern beaches and Newcastle.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/5496817855eab310fa6973d8c8941adb
“The NRL also want greater control over the licenses, so that if one of the private owners wants to sell their club, the NRL has the ability to say where and who the private owner can sell his club to.”

So basically if someone wanted to buy Manly for a billion dollars Greencock can say the sale will only go ahead if they relocate to Perth etc.

What if all 16 clubs don't sign this dictatorship agreement? I know the safe ones will just sign but what can the NRL do if say Manly, Tigers, Sharks and Dogs don't sign?

#sackTodd

You have to respect and admire the Eels fans passion and love for their club that despite all the embarrassment that their club has given them over 40 years they stood by their club where it mostly counts and that is through club membership support .

View attachment 10954

You are mostly preaching to the converted. But yes, all fans on here should become a member.

The issue is winning over the 'casual' Rugby League fan who may not support a team yet.

Because a lot of those 'casual' fans may eventually become Sea Eagles fans and paying members. If we become too comfortable and complacent with being "the team that everyone loves to hate" then I don't see how we can grow our potential fanbase (beyond making existing fans paying members).

For one fXck the Titans off to somewhere. The add no value and have no fans. They've never been successful. Waste of space. Move them to somewhere else in Qld that will give a **** about having a team in the NRL?

And that is the problem with just about every national league sports team that has ever been based on the Gold Coast. If they aren't a success within 5 years or so, piss `em off and then start a new one in the same place a few years later. Lather, rinse and repeat. They never stick around long enough to grow a supporter base with the locals who were actually born and still live there.

Did you know that the Titans are the longest running national league team based on the Gold Coast.....of any sport? And they have only been around for 12 years.

Brisbane Bears (VFL/AFL), Gold Coast Giants/Seagulls/Chargers (NSWRL/ARL), Gold Coast Breakers/Rollers (NBL), Gold Coast Blaze (NBL), Gold Coast United (A-League). Of that lot, the Bears and Seagulls both lasted 9 years, the Rollers 5 years, Blaze 5 years and United, bank rolled by Clive Palmer, only lasted 3 years before their licence was revoked in favour of the Wanderers.

If the Titans and AFL's Suns can actually last a generation or more they might actually end up with their own supporter base because people living there would have grown up with them.

How many juniors from Melbourne or Victoria in 20+ years of the Storm's existence have actually become NRL players? 2? 3?

Top junior talent that they buy or recruit from Queensland, 'Queensland' or NZ does not count.

I wonder when that question will actually be asked at NRL HQ.

Been saying that for a while now. But the NRL won't force the issue because if the Storm had to rely on local juniors for the bulk of their squad they'd have more spoons than Gordon Ramsay would use in a lifetime.....and having a successful team right in the heart of the AFL's home territory is good for business so they'll continue to have Qld and to a lesser extent NZ as their nursery for a long time.

BTW, just on the Sydney teams.....IMO those who should be safe from merging or relocating should be Manly, Penrith, Parramatta, St Merge and the Chooks. If the NRL are targeting teams like Manly while considering teams all close together like the Dogs, Tigpies and Souffs as safe, then they really don't have a clue what they are doing. And to have another team (Cronulla) stuck right in between two merged clubs (St George and Illawarra), is also crazy.

The best thing rugby league did in terms of expansion in Australia was having new start up teams in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne. The worst thing they did was lose Perth and Adelaide in favour of staying in their own back yards (NSW and Qld). That is one area where the AFL literally $hits all over the NRL. The AFL (these days at least....) is prepared to go to non-traditional areas and stay there for the long haul.

You are mostly preaching to the converted. But yes, all fans on here should become a member.

The issue is winning over the 'casual' Rugby League fan who may not support a team yet.

Because a lot of those 'casual' fans may eventually become Sea Eagles fans and paying members. If we become too comfortable and complacent with being "the team that everyone loves to hate" then I don't see how we can grow our potential fanbase (beyond making existing fans paying members).

Every team is on the same boat . Stop making excuses .

Panthers, Parra, Dogs - endless supply of Pokie money, strong junior leagues
Souths - Croweys deep pockets
Easts- Uncle Nick's brown paper bags
Sharks - soon to be $40mil richer ?
Dragons - foundation club, TWO redeveloped home grounds, 2 leagues clubs ?
Wests Tigers - ???
Manly - ??

Every team is on the same boat . Stop making excuses .

I did not make any excuses.

In fact I literally said this in my second sentence:
...all fans on here should become a member.

As I also said... being "the team that everyone loves to hate" (and this applies to us pretty much exclusively, whether we like it or not) does not particularly help us when trying to win over new or 'casual' RL fans, with a view to them eventually becoming members.

Ergo it is not a good strategy to lean on heavily. But I am sure the membership team already know this.

I did not make any excuses.

In fact I literally said this in my second sentence:

As I also said... being "the team that everyone loves to hate" (and this applies to us pretty much exclusively, whether we like it or not) does not particularly help us when trying to win over new or 'casual' RL fans, with a view to them eventually becoming members.

Ergo it is not a good strategy to lean on heavily. But I am sure the membership team already know this.

Firstly I am glad you agreed that there are no excuses .

Before the hatred comes success and success increases club membership for clubs except for Manly .

Our club historically always had low fan membership support as compared to other clubs before and after our successful years

It is all about passionate club supporters who make the effort to commit to their club no matter what and clubs like the Parra supporters who over 40 years endured embarrassment on and off the field by their club yet still have nearly 3 times more club members than ours .

No excuses as we agreed

Looks like the NRL already have a ready made Sea-Eagles team ready to go in Perth. They also have , Tigers, Sharks, Dragons, &Roosters playing in the NRL WA competition. Seems its OK to have multiple Perth teams in their competition but not in Rugby Leagues heartland and Australia's most populous State Sydney?

https://nrlwa.com.au/north-beach-clinch-minor-premiership/

The North Beach Sea Eagles are the reigning Premiers of NRL WA , the club has been around since 1951, their home ground is a small reserve next to a golf course and like the rest of the teams in the WA NRL competition, they are lucky to get 100 supporters to a game.

Anyone at NRL HQ that thinks Perth should have a team in the main NRL competition at the expense of a Sydney club should be sacked immediately.

The NRL should be doing everything in its power to ensure the continued success of the Manly Sea Eagles. The Northern Beaches Council region of Sydney has the 4th highest population of all councils in NSW. It is bigger than Parramatta, Penrith, Sutherland Shire, City of Sydney and Newcastle. The only regions with more people are Canterbury Bankstown, Central Coast, and Blacktown.

Every other code wants want the NRL has. They all want to be the dominant sport in Sydney, the biggest city in not only Australia but Oceana. But the morons at NRL HQ don't seem to have a brain among them and are hell bent on losing their biggest asset. Every time a Sydney club has left the competition it has boosted membership at a rival code. Most former Bears supporters I know are now members of the swans and do not watch League at all.

It blows my mind how dumb these people are. If they want another team in Brisbane then fair enough, move the Storm there. Despite all their success and assistance they have been given, nobody in Victoria would really notice if they no longer existed.

1North Beach Sea Eagles Premiership 29
2 Fremantle Roosters Premiership 27
3 South Perth Lions Premiership 26
4 Rockingham Sharks Premiership 16
5 Joondalup Giants Premiership 16
upload_2019-3-20_21-34-18.jpeg

upload_2019-3-20_21-36-17.jpeg

upload_2019-3-20_22-15-35.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-20_21-44-12.png
    upload_2019-3-20_21-44-12.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
It defies logic that AFL places Perth or Adelaide are some how put up by the pro relocation mob as more viable for growth of rugby league that the northern half of Sydney and the central coast.

And lets remember in the mid 1990s the NSWRL and media told us that Sydney could not financially support any more Sydney clubs. Since then we've seen money and sponsors found for Sydney's two A-League clubs, a professional Waratahs club, a resurgent Swans and then the Giants, plus the two Big Bash cricket teams.

Getting rid of Sydney NRL clubs is just dumb. Culling Norths and merging teams hasn't made any Sydney NRL clubs any stronger at all.

Moving Manly won't help Manly and it won't help the remaining Sydney clubs.

You can bet the minute Manly vacate the north of Sydney, either the Bears will start pushing for re admittance and/or one of the remaining Sydney clubs will start mining the north side of Sydney for fans, juniors and sponsors.

Anyone with half a brain can see if 2 teams should go it should be

1 Melbourne its not a league town and never will be.

2 Titans give up it wont ever work.

If for some reason it had to be Sydney teams geography should decide it.

1 either Souths or Easts

2 either St Merge or Cronulla

Last edited:
I don't trust the NRL to do anything in the interests of MANLY.

Noticed in the interview with 'the bald one', the first Sydney club touted as their future being in doubt was of course Manly. He's intent on getting rid of us....the sooner we're rid of him the better.
This is why us the fans need to stand up to this bald headed douchbag and make a change for the better of the game. The guy has an agenda against us. But when making a suggestion everyone denounces it as it’s to hard and what a joke to even think we can make a change.
Well wake up silvertails we need to act in the best interest of OUR club and OUR game.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....

The NRL would be crazy to try and relocate Manly. Ours is basically the ONLY club representing northern Sydney. We're their only club north of the harbour until you get to Newcastle. Lose that and it opens the door for union, soccer and Aussie rules to move in because you know that if Manly does get forced to move, no other NRL team will take its place, not even North Sydney.

Super League had the right idea when they wanted Sydney represented by north, south, east and west, they just went about it all wrong. As much as the SL war alienated fans, they were smart enough to know not to relocate clubs. Instead they made new ones with the Hunter Mariners and Adelaide Rams. I can understand that the Mariners were folded because Newcastle really wasn't big enough for both them and the Knights. But losing the Rams was dumb IMO and its taken almost 20 years just to regain some of that lost ground.

IMO, new clubs have more of a chance of capturing new fans than a relocated one does. E.g. a new Perth or Adelaide team would be more accepted in those cities than a relocated Manly or Cronulla would.

It doesn't make sense to lose fans in one area just to try and get new fans in another. You keep the ones you already have and then try to add more.
Nice subtle lobbying there @HoldenV8 .:clap:

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8