Manly's survival

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The below table is population by current or possible team locations. I have assumed that Illawarra Dragons are Wollongong based leaving 8 Sydney only teams. If the intention is to go to the population centres and build then new teams should be established in Perth, Adelaide & NZ South Island. If you are looking to cut teams then the teams that standout with the weakest population are Nth Qld, The Gong & Canberra.

I fully understand that population is not the sole criteria to look at, but it is instructive of the potential for growth. Simple mathematics says you will do better on the Sth Island of NZ than you will in Nth Qld because NZ Sth Island has almost 4.5 times the population. I agree with a prior post that says nothing needs to change in Sydney. The NRL owns Sydney and should be proud of that fact. If it were up to me I would simply add four new teams and let the cards fall as they fall. Perth, Adelaide, NZ Sth Island & a 2nd team in Brisbane. Everyone plays everyone once in the season and there are standalone weekends for SOO and a final 8 series.

If a team get's into financial trouble they get themselves out of it or die.
View attachment 10967

Crikey, didn’t realise the Mexicans had caught up to Sydney in the population stakes. Last time I checked around 2000, they were a mill behind. Must have pulled a few more Catholics in I guess.

I did not make any excuses.

In fact I literally said this in my second sentence:

As I also said... being "the team that everyone loves to hate" (and this applies to us pretty much exclusively, whether we like it or not) does not particularly help us when trying to win over new or 'casual' RL fans, with a view to them eventually becoming members.

Ergo it is not a good strategy to lean on heavily. But I am sure the membership team already know this.

Collingwood do and it works pretty well for them .....

The argumant that we are the only team north so we deserve to stay is ridiculous. The people of the "north" have voted with their wallets and feet, they are not members and rarely show up to a game in any large way. The locals will have no 1 to blame if the team moves as they have shown over years to not give a ****.

The below table is population by current or possible team locations. I have assumed that Illawarra Dragons are Wollongong based leaving 8 Sydney only teams. If the intention is to go to the population centres and build then new teams should be established in Perth, Adelaide & NZ South Island. If you are looking to cut teams then the teams that standout with the weakest population are Nth Qld, The Gong & Canberra.

I fully understand that population is not the sole criteria to look at, but it is instructive of the potential for growth. Simple mathematics says you will do better on the Sth Island of NZ than you will in Nth Qld because NZ Sth Island has almost 4.5 times the population. I agree with a prior post that says nothing needs to change in Sydney. The NRL owns Sydney and should be proud of that fact. If it were up to me I would simply add four new teams and let the cards fall as they fall. Perth, Adelaide, NZ Sth Island & a 2nd team in Brisbane. Everyone plays everyone once in the season and there are standalone weekends for SOO and a final 8 series.

View attachment 10967

Yeah let's add another 4 teams. The quality of football is crap at the moment and you want to add 4 more teams.

For me if we move i say brisbane. Out club already looking no doubt the home games in nz and brisbane. Unfortunately we are a major target.
If we do move then a agreement of 3 games per year ar brookie or i am out.

Crikey, didn’t realise the Mexicans had caught up to Sydney in the population stakes. Last time I checked around 2000, they were a mill behind. Must have pulled a few more Catholics in I guess.
My bad, not sure how that happened. Melbourne is 4,269,000 and Sydney is 4,452,000 so close, but not there yet. Doesn't change anything though.

Ok, good contribution there. So which teams from Sydney were you re-locating again.
I have never said any teams should be re- located, I'm just disappointed in the people who have been running our club in the last 30 years that have got us in such a poor position (members,facilities,fans). What I will say if the nrl decide to locate teams (doubt they will) we would be very close to the top sadly.

The argumant that we are the only team north so we deserve to stay is ridiculous. The people of the "north" have voted with their wallets and feet, they are not members and rarely show up to a game in any large way. The locals will have no 1 to blame if the team moves as they have shown over years to not give a ****.

But some might argue that the lack of membership/attendance could be attributed to the lack of or poor facilities at Brookie.
Upgrade the stadium and they will come, we still might get beaten but at least we'll be comfortable and have wi-fi and the like whilst gorging on gourmet food and craft beer! Isn't that what the modern sports fan wants these days?

But some might argue that the lack of membership/attendance could be attributed to the lack of or poor facilities at Brookie.
Upgrade the stadium and they will come, we still might get beaten but at least we'll be comfortable and have wi-fi and the like whilst gorging on gourmet food and craft beer!

Fair argument.

If we had a brand new 30,000 seat state of the art stadium ... and we were losing games ... we would get crowds of 5/6000 ...

If we retain a **** Brookie and are winning games we will fill it every week ....

It has ever been thus ... and always will be ..... we need and deserve a top stadium ... but don't delude yourselves ... the only thing that will fill it is winning games ...

View attachment 10967
What particular part of North Qld are they referring to? Because Townsville alone has around 200k and Cairns isn’t far behind. Mackay (still in the north rather than central Qld orbit) has another 100k. Innisfail, Ingham, Ayr etc. are all sizable towns.

Regardless of what Greenslime, Kent or Slothfield reckon I can’t see them tapping Penn on the shoulder and saying bye bye.

For a start unlike a number of clubs Manly are privately owned and funded.

We might have been going absolute **** on the ladder but to my knowledge we’ve never asked for or been given , a handout.

Relocate us and there’s a massive hole in a big area of Sydney, makes absolute zero sense and I’d be flabbergasted if it happened.

Far far more likely to happen is we’ll be forced into playing home games out of the new SFS or Gosford.

Removing us from the game has to be way way down the bottom of any list despite what the media is saying.

Last edited:
Wouldnt surprise me at all if burg tries to get rid of us. Still feel we missed a good opportunity with the area we had as northern eagles.it would have taken time for the the locals to come over but we needed to look ahead 20 years instead of just the now.

No doubt he hates us but for the reasons above I just can’t see it happening.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8