Manly's survival

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Apart from of course playing from an upgraded Brookvale, I think the owners would be mad not to look at taking say 2-3 games per year to the new SFS and perhaps two to Gosford.

Re: SFS.
1. It’s better than taking games to Brisbane, calling it a ‘home’ game, then run the real risk of losing in front of the other team’s home fans - especially if your team is struggling on field.

2. It will be a magnificent stadium with (possibly) the usual financial inducements attached.

3. By the time it’s up and running, the new light rail will be operational. From the northern beaches perspective:

a. you can catch the Manly ferry and the light rail is waiting for you at Circular Quay;

b. the B Line buses are up and running;

c. now that the state government has been re-elected, Beaches Link (especially if games are played there on a Sat/Sun) will bring the city and Moore Park much closer for northern beaches residents; and

d. if you’re a Manly fan living elsewhere in Sydney, some of the above transport options will also help you, along with the eventual completion of Westconnex in 2023, with Burwood towards the city opening this year; the metro from the northwest (next month) through to Bankstown by 2023/24; and the City to Parramatta metro (plus others) to follow.

In short, getting around Sydney should
become easier in the coming years.

I am sure the Penns’ would be taking all of that into consideration. Better to be on the front foot in the long term survival stakes, informing the NRL that ‘this is part of our plan,’ than have the NRL trying to dictate your fate.

Apart from of course playing from an upgraded Brookvale, I think the owners would be mad not to look at taking say 2-3 games per year to the new SFS and perhaps two to Gosford.

1. It’s better than taking games to Brisbane, calling it a ‘home’ game, then run the real risk of losing in front of the other team’s home fans - especially if your team is struggling on field.

2. It will be a magnificent stadium with (possibly) the usual financial inducements attached.

3. By the time it’s up and running, the new light rail will be operational. From the northern beaches perspective:

a. you can catch the Manly ferry and the light rail is waiting for you at Circular Quay;

c. now that the state government has been re-elected, Beaches Link (especially if games are played there on a Sat/Sun) will bring the city and Moore Park much closer for northern beaches residents; and

d. if you’re a Manly fan living elsewhere in Sydney, some of the above transport options will also help you, along with the eventual completion of Westconnex in 2023, with Burwood towards the city opening this year; the metro from the northwest (next month) through to Bankstown by 2023/24; and the City to Parramatta metro (plus others) to follow.

I am sure the Penns’ would be taking all of that into consideration. Better to be on the front foot in the long term survival stakes, informing the NRL that ‘this is part of our plan,’ than have the NRL trying to dictate your fate.

Just on the NRL trying to dictate clubs

Strong club membership dictates a clubs future .

It is all about bums on seats and people power

When Manly have big membership numbers and people power

Then the NRL have no power over us

Agree totally Bozo - this says it all!!

We need memberships and people through the gates this week. Not when Greenturd decides we need to move to Perth

That’s all very true Boze. However there are other options available too, hence my previous post.

Agree totally Bozo - this says it all!!

We need memberships and people through the gates this week. Not when Greenturd decides we need to move to Perth

I totally agree with you my passionate Manly feathered friend

Every fan knows what it takes for their team to survive

but not all fans have what it takes to step up and be counted by joining the club and becoming a club member

We are the club with the least number of club memberships .

The onus is not on Greenburg . The onus is on us

So What are we going to do about it ?

Offer excuses and do nothing and place our club in a vulnerable position on the negotiating table

Or follow our passion , become a member of our club and give it the people power that everyone looks up to

That’s all very true Boze. However there are other options available too, hence my previous post.

I liked you post feathered friend as it had good options

but it should not be an excuses for us fans to accept being the least committed to their club through club memberships

I kind of feel like if you aren't playing them at Brookie, take them somewhere no one else is. Christchurch. The bush. I'd do a couple in Gosford. Lock down a couple of spots and play the rest at Brookie.

As for the new SFS - just don't see people doing that. People hate going from one part of the beaches to the other. Tell someone from Narrabeen to go to Manly on the weekend and they'll be like "really? That far..?"

We need to build on the burgeoning goodwill between Manly and Christchurch/South Island of NZ and take a second match there next season. Perhaps against North Queensland or the Titans.
For those two matches we should seek specific NZ sponsorship, such as South Island Tourism and Air New Zealand, and put together seven day packages from Sydney that incorporate a match day experience at Christchurch.
The marketing potential is unlimited at this stage, and if we don't capitalise on the opportunity or another NRL club will.

We need to build on the burgeoning goodwill between Manly and Christchurch/South Island of NZ and take a second match there next season. Perhaps against North Queensland or the Titans.
For those two matches we should seek specific NZ sponsorship, such as South Island Tourism and Air New Zealand, and put together seven day packages from Sydney that incorporate a match day experience at Christchurch.
The marketing potential is unlimited at this stage, and if we don't capitalise on the opportunity or another NRL club will.
And the recruitment potential to tap into would be limitless from a catchment point of view.
Should re employ Lewis as a recruiter.
He's a Christchurch boy I think...

Being from Adelaide, I can't really argue with that. We saw it 20-odd years ago with both the Western Reds and Adelaide Rams. Both started under a lot of hype and got good crowds for a while. The largest home attendance for both teams (24,392 at the WACA for the Reds and 27,435 at the Adelaide Oval for the Rams) came in their very first home games. But when they started getting to the reality of it and neither team were very successful with on-field results, the crowds and interest dropped away. The Reds dropped from an average home attendance of 13,390 in 1995 to 8,981 by the end of the 1997 Super League season, while the Rams averaged 15,330 in 1997, but that had dropped to just 7,682 by the end of 1998.

If a team is ever to be put back into Perth and later Adelaide, it will need to be a long term commitment from both investors AND the NRL. They can't let them suffer an early death like the Reds and Rams suffered or you may as well just forget about either city when it comes to anything more than one off big games like test matches or State of Origin.

I agree with all that mate. But I would suggest in the SL days they were simply heavily promoting the games at enormous expense and giving away loads of tickets to achieve the early surge, which is false economy. Bet if they paid up front, 7,000 would have been the norm.

If there was a market for Manly to capture, it would be the South Island for me as well. In saying that, I thought the crowd turn out would have been a lot better, particularly given the stellar work both clubs did in the lead up. But it is definitely an area to continue investing in.

I disagree,
Although I live on the Gold Coast and enjoy the fact that I can watch the Eagles up here at least twice (Suncorp and Cbus except last years Commonwealth Games fiasco sent us to Gladstone!), I think we need to drop the Brisbane 'Home Game', the Christchurch 'Home Game' and add these two to your two games at Gosford.
The reason being is two-fold, one is Geographical as the imbeciles at NRL HQ carry on about, we can invade, take over and occupy the area between the Bridge and somewhere south of Newcastle, the other of course is on par with giving a kid a balloon and popping it!. By expanding into the Central Coast, and maybe even playing a game at North Sydney Oval, we are telling the Bears to bugger off and go elsewhere - Christchurch, Brisbane or Perth!
I still have no idea why the Bears did not go hard on the Gold Coast License given they own the Tweed Leagues Club and the biggest name on the Gold Coast (Between Charges, Giants, Sea Gulls, Titans) is in fact the Burleigh Bears. I see more Burleigh Bears Polo Shirts and Jumpers than I do the Titans. In Fact, had they bidded more, and called themselves the Burleigh Bears, they would always have crowds.
Anyway, I reckon if push comes to shove, play more games at Gosford on the proviso that Home NSW Semi Finals are played there, and if we get a Home Interstate Semi Final, it is at Brookie!

I disagree,
Although I live on the Gold Coast and enjoy the fact that I can watch the Eagles up here at least twice (Suncorp and Cbus except last years Commonwealth Games fiasco sent us to Gladstone!), I think we need to drop the Brisbane 'Home Game', the Christchurch 'Home Game' and add these two to your two games at Gosford.
The reason being is two-fold, one is Geographical as the imbeciles at NRL HQ carry on about, we can invade, take over and occupy the area between the Bridge and somewhere south of Newcastle, the other of course is on par with giving a kid a balloon and popping it!. By expanding into the Central Coast, and maybe even playing a game at North Sydney Oval, we are telling the Bears to bugger off and go elsewhere - Christchurch, Brisbane or Perth!
I still have no idea why the Bears did not go hard on the Gold Coast License given they own the Tweed Leagues Club and the biggest name on the Gold Coast (Between Charges, Giants, Sea Gulls, Titans) is in fact the Burleigh Bears. I see more Burleigh Bears Polo Shirts and Jumpers than I do the Titans. In Fact, had they bidded more, and called themselves the Burleigh Bears, they would always have crowds.
Anyway, I reckon if push comes to shove, play more games at Gosford on the proviso that Home NSW Semi Finals are played there, and if we get a Home Interstate Semi Final, it is at Brookie!
Agree with this although I still reckon we should have stuck it out at Gosford. Even though they supposedly hate us it amazing how much support you can pick up after winning a couple of premierships especially younger fans

Agree with this although I still reckon we should have stuck it out at Gosford. Even though they supposedly hate us it amazing how much support you can pick up after winning a couple of premierships especially younger fans
I will probably get mocked big time, however, I reckon a simple name change would sort that out.
Manly -Warringah Sea Eagles covers a small geographic area
Manly - Central Coast Sea Eagles covers a bigger area and includes Warringah and Beyond. - It is all about the invasion and take over and expansion, and obviously not about tradition!
I still think a home game at North Sydney Oval would piss a few people off!

I will probably get mocked big time, however, I reckon a simple name change would sort that out.
Manly -Warringah Sea Eagles covers a small geographic area
Manly - Central Coast Sea Eagles covers a bigger area and includes Warringah and Beyond. - It is all about the invasion and take over and expansion, and obviously not about tradition!
I still think a home game at North Sydney Oval would piss a few people off!

No feathered friend . Names do not change anything only Attitude does .

I live in South of Sydney and have supported the mighty Sea eagles from there for many years and I would not want our proud club name and history stained by changing our name to the South Sydney Sea eagles .

Lets set our focus right

The Passionate Manly Sea eagles fans do not only represent the Manly area but also represents the great lovers of our Manly football club from far and beyond

All together now .....

I been to cities that never close down
From New York to Rio and Old London Town
But no matter how far or how wide I roam
I still call our Manly Sea eagles club home

The moral of the story ........

eagle-soaring.png-perspective.jpeg

Living on the coast I can tell you there is plenty of Manly supporters up here.
And plenty of other clubs too.
Which is why a team like the beagles didn't work.
Even a relocated team would take a generation because we are all rusted on to our team.
If they created the Central coast Marlins for example it would be different because it has no baggage and would easily be our 2nd team for existing fans but the team to support for the kids.
One thing is for sure though is that we don't want the bears.
The mere mention is much like the sight of uncle Bucks hat.
It makes people angry...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4